Entries tagged with: Arthur Beatrice
The Underachievers @ BVSXSW 2013 (more by Amanda Hatfield)
today in NYC
* Somi @ Joe's Pub
* Harold Night @ UCB
* Slavic Soul Party @ Barbes
* Mother Falcon @ Littlefield
* J. Cole @ iHeartRadio Theater
* The Bronx @ Rocks Off Concert Cruise
* Future Islands, Zomes @ Death By Audio
* Dave Davies (of The Kinks) @ City Winery
* Gary Louris (of The Jayhawks) @ City Winery
* John Hopkins, SFV Acid, Octo Octa @ Glasslands
* Browns, Wrong Dots, Horrible Present @ Union Pool
* Phil Lesh & The Terrapin Family Band @ Sullivan Hall
* Pam Finch, Melmann, Ashcan Orchestra @ Silent Barn
* Flobots, Wheelchair Sports Camp @ Santos Party House
* Sylvie Courvoisier & Mark Feldman Quartet @ The Stone
* Flatbush Zombies, The Underachievers @ Red Hook Park
* Bottom Dollars, The Hollows, Austin Bats @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Oliver Manchon's Orchetre De Chambre Miniature @ Barbes
* Wet, Joywave, How Sad, Mikhael Paskalev, Vic & Gab @ Pianos
* Rob Garza (of Thievery Corporation), Natalia Clavier @ S.O.B.'s
* The Love Ways, Automotive High School, Pre War @ Cameo Gallery
* Joe Randazzo, Larry Livermore, Jamie Lee, Brother JT @ UCB East
* Hooded Fang, Total Slacker, French Films, pow wow! @ Mercury Lounge
* Pokey LaFarge, Luke Winslow-King, Blind Boy Paxton @ Bowery Ballroom
Dave Davies, who sang lead on classic Kinks tracks "Death of a Clown" and "I'm Not Like Everybody Else," plays a free show today in the backyard of City Winery. It's the kickoff of the 2013 Hudson Square Music & Wine Festival.
The free shows in Red Hook Park begin tonight with a great double bill of NYC rap trio Flatbush Zombies and NYC rap duo The Underachievers. Show starts at 7 PM.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Revitalized glam rockers Suede have a video for "Hit Me," one of the standout cuts from quite good new album, Bloodsports, and you can watch it below.
The full list of artists confirmed for the 2012 CMJ Music Marathon so far is below...
by Andrew Sacher
Arthur Beatrice, aside from being the reversed name of Beatrice Arthur, is a four-piece from London with a knack for creating infectious art pop. Like other female-fronted art pop groups who have caught our ear lately (Austra, Zola Jesus), it's tempting to compare Arthur Beatrice to Kate Bush. But while Ms. Bush's influence on modern music continues to become a common thing, Arthur Beatrice have quickly proved their ability to put a refreshing spin on the sound. Their single, "Midland," which was recently released on their own Open Assembly label, kicks off a strong foregrounded vocal melody backed by relatively tame arrangements, before escalating into a chorus of Florence and the Machine-like pop grandeur without the excess. Check out the video for "Midland" below and a remix of the track by Bwana here. Also check out a live in-studio performance of the song, "What We Hoped To Achieve," here, which rotates between dark, slow verses and upbeat disco-rock.
Arthur Beatrice's only dates scheduled at the moment are overseas, but hopefully we'll be seeing them in North America soon. All European dates are listed with the video below.