Entries tagged with: BAMcinemaFest
Schoolboy Q last night @ Summerstage (more by Chris La Putt)
today in NYC
* Balkan Tales @ Barbes
* Dapplegray @ The Stone
* Silver Apples @ BAM
* Simon Amstell @ SWEET
* Kat Edmonson @ Joe's Pub
* Slavic Soul Party @ Barbes
* Deviant Septet @ The Stone
* Radiolab Live: In the Dark @ BAM
* Anna Ternheim @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Marc Ribot Trio @ Village Vanguard
* moe. @ Beekman Beer Garden
* Portland Cello Project @ City Winery
* Silver Apples @ Brooklyn Academy of Music
* Crosby, Stills and Nash @ Wellmont Theatre
* Beat Culture, Psychobuildings, Diavel @ Cameo
* Radiolab Live w/ Demetri Martin & Thao Nguyen @ BAM
* Dave Hill, Rachel Dratch, Michael Kupperman @ Housing Works
* Comic Book Club Live w/ Kurt Braunohler, Amanda Palmer @ Fontana's
* Suzanne Vega, Gabriel Kahane @ Rockefeller Park
* Jesse Boykins III @ Apple Store West 14th Street
* Grooms, Numerators, Noon, Neighbors @ Death By Audio
* Donora, Teammate, Starlight Girls, Bluejay @ Glasslands
* HITS, Hussle Club, Slam Donahue, Pompeya @ Mercury Lounge
* The Bottom Dollars, The Nuclears, The Hollows @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Municipal Waste, 3 Inches of Blood, Black Tusk @ Santos Party House
* Childish Gambino, Danny Brown, Schoolboy Q @ Prospect Park Bandshell
* Emily's Army, House Boat, Mixtapes, Lipstick Homicide, City Mouse @ Knitting Factory
* Diamond Terrifier presents Max Alper, Irene Moon, David Shapiro, Eric Beach/Evan Lipson, DJ Dutch E. Germ @ Zebulon
* Workmen's Circle Yiddishfest w/ Klexmatics, SoCalles & more @ Central Park Summerstage
WNYC/NPR show Radiolab has taken its show on the road, performing "Radiolab: Live in the Dark" around the country and has returned to NYC for a two-night stint at BAM tonight (6/26) and tomorrow (6/27). In addition to hosts Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich, the BAM shows -- like a few of the dates on this tour -- include Demetri Martin and Thao Ngyen. Both shows are sold out (but where there's a will there's a way). "Radiolab: Live in the Dark" comes to Philadelphia on Friday and there's a Chicago date in September.
(In addition to her appearances as part of Radiolab, Thao Ngyen is playing a free show at The Satellite in L.A. on July 13.)
While on the subject of BAM, Silver Apples' Simeon Coxe performs tonight in BAMcinemaFEST Lounge immediately after the screening (and Q&A) of Radio Unnamable.
Meanwhile, Thao Ngyen collaborators and tourmates the Portland Cello Project play the Hudson Square Music Festival's kickoff event tonight (6/26) which is free and open to the public. The PCP played Housing Works Bookstore last night.
Speaking of Housing Works, Dave Hill is there tonight talking up his new book Tasteful Nudes with help from Rachel Dratch and Michael Kupperman.
Speaking of summer NYC series', Lincoln Center's Midsummer Night Swing series kicks off tonight (6/26) with The Nelson Riddie Orchestra, and continues through July 14.
Jens Lekman, who's playing Terminal 5 in October, just released the video for his single "Erica America" and you can watch it below.
Diamond Rings, not to be confused with Diamond Rugs who played Letterman last night, has a new video you can watch below...
Alabama Shakes, who played Summerstage with Diamond Rugs, was on Fallon last night. Video below...
Still from Radio Unnamable
As previously mentioned, the 2012 BAMcinemaFEST kicks off tonight (6/20) with a screening of Mike Birbiglia's Sleepwalk with Me. This year's fest includes 22 features with 20 of those being New York premieres and, as usual, there are a few music-related films as well. On June 26 they'll screen Radio Unnamable, a documentary about WBAI DJ Bob Fass, "the father of freeform radio." There will be a Q&A after the screening with Fass and directors Paul Lovelace, Jessica Wolfson. Immediately after that will be a performance in the BAMcinemaFest lounge with Simeon Coxe of Silver Apples which is free with your screening ticket.
Screening on June 28 is Tim Sutton's debut feature Pavillion, which "follows laconic teenager Max, who moves from an idyllic lakeside town in New York to his father's home in arid suburban Arizona." The score is by the Sea & Cake's Sam Prekop and Archer Prewitt, and the two will perform immediately after the screeening in the BAMcinemaFest lounge. Again, the performance is free with the ticket to the screening. This explains why Sam and Archer are performing at Mercury Lounge on June 30 too.
And the closing night (7/1) is a screening of Lotte Reiniger's dreamlike 1926 animated film The Adventures of Prince Achmed with live accompaniment by by Dublin collective 3epkano and Erik Friedlander.
The same night is a screening of documentary Rock 'N' Roll Exposed: The Photography of Bob Gruen about the legendary rock photographer which was directed by Big Audio Dynamite's Don Letts (The Punk Rock Movie, Strummerville). The screening is followed by BAMcinemaFest's closing night party.
The full BAMcinemaFest 2012 Schedule is below.