Entries tagged with: Black Friday
"100 people camp out in front of the dollar store on Black Friday." Video below...
"Black Friday madness isn't just for big box stores: this year overeager Urban Outfitters shoppers wreaked havoc at an "overrated" sale in Santa Monica.Hope you had that much fun on Black Friday too, and by the way, Happy Small Business Saturday!
Shoppers rushing into the store on the Third Street promenade smashed a tall glass door when the store opened around midnight, according to the Los Angeles Times.
The store was briefly shut down while the broken glass was cleaned up. Paramedics responded to the scene where they treated five people for cuts, but no one had to be transported to the hospital." [LAist]
Watch people battle for towels in a Walmart below...
Peelander-Z at Googa Mooga 2012 (more by Chris La Putt)
Telepathe at Glasslands, July 2012 (more by Amanda Hatfield)
today in NYC
* Q-Tip @ Irving Plaza
* Tessa Souter @ Joe's Pub
* Soley @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Strangefolk @ The Capitol
* A Kingly Practice @ Barbes
* Tracy Morgan @ Carolines
* EOTO @ Highland Ballroom
* Black Roots Lion @ Zebulon
* John Zorn Improv Night @ The Stone
* Saskatchewan, Child Actor @ Pianos
* Nicos Gun, Love Skills @ Glasslands
* Dark Star Orchestra @ Best Buy Theatre
* Eliot Lipp, Obey City, Boligee @ Glasslands
* Guateke, Modabot, Polidestro @ Cake Shop
* R. Kelly @ Theatre at Madison Square Garden
* Phone Home, Saskatchewan, Child Actor @ Pianos
* Robert Randolph & The Family Band @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Peelander-Z, Electric Eel Shock @ Knitting Factory
* R. Kelly 'Trapped in the Closet' marathon @ Videology
* Mohegan Son, DJ GVY, Shisa, Mason Chambers @ 285 Kent
* Vensaire, Dead Stars, ZZZ's, Candidate @ Legion Bar
* Hear Hums, Dada Trash Collage, Emily Reo @ Muchmore's
* Taking Back Sunday, Bayside, The Menzingers @ Terminal 5
* Telepathe, Black Marble, Psychic Twin, Beach Arabs @ Cameo Gallery
* Love Assassin, The Aster Pheonyx Project, Jay Everett, Lisa Bianco, C-Donte @ The Mercury Lounge
* Kyp Malone, Motive, Pictureplane, Hell For The Company, Double Trouble Double Dragon DJ's @ Brooklyn Night Bazaar
If you're braving the world of shopping today, it is Record Store Day Black Friday.
It's also Buy Nothing Day.
Follow BrooklynVegan on Instagram.
As recently mentioned, Black Friday is also now Record Store Day so music nerds can have fun on the busiest shopping day of the year too. One place you might go, if you're in NYC, is Other Music who write:
For those of you who are spending your holiday in New York City, Other Music will be participating in Record Store Day's second annual Black to Black Friday (Friday, November 23), and this year there will be an even bigger variety of limited RSD-only pressings plus some great advance releases exclusive to independent shops. You can browse a list of all these special titles here on the RSD website, or download a PDF wish list here, and while we can't guarantee that every one of these releases will be available at Other Music, we do have a great assortment of RSD merchandise -- keep in mind, quantities are limited, first come first served, and one per customer, in-store purchases only. We will be closed for Thanksgiving but we'll be back open Friday, regular business hours 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., and we hope to see you!Other Music is also offering free shipping on domestic orders through Monday on regular stuff. Matador Records is offering 15% off stuff with code "BLACKFRIDAY". Saddle Creek has free shipping for orders over $30 and 20% off your entire order using coupon code "blackfriday20".
Some of the RSD exclusives you'll find in record stores on Black Friday are reissues of three different White Stripes singles. One of the record stores guaranteed to be carrying those is Third Man Records in Nashville where they'll also be debuting an expansion...
Third Man Records is inviting you, your family (yes, even those creepy cousins from the kids table) and loved ones to join us the day following Thanksgiving, also known as BLACK FRIDAY, for the Grand Opening of The Third Man Records Novelty Lounge. We've expanded our record shop space and it's now equipped with a dazzling array of coin operated contraptions and attractions guaranteed to pop your peepers and flip your wig. Dig?More about the Novelty Lounge in the video below...
For the third year, Record Store Day will have a secondary event on Black Friday (aka the day after Thanksgiving 11/23 this year) with a bunch of exclusive releases that might just make good holiday presents for the collector on your list. While not as extensive as Record Store Day proper (third Saturday in April), there are still some pretty cool releases, including:
- Vinyl reissue of the Fat Boys' first album on a pizza picture discThe whole list of Black Friday Record Store Day exclusives can be found here.
- A new vinyl reissue of Love's Forever Changes that includes a bonus 7" with an unreleased edit of "Alone Again Or"
- 7"s for White Stripes singles Hotel Yorba" (Live at the Hotel Yorba)," "Fell in Love with a Girl" and "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground"
- a Beach Boys 10" of "Surfin' Surfari" in gatefold sleeve
- vinyl pressing of Death Might Be Your Santa Claus which collects holiday blues songs from the '20s, '30s, '40s, and '50s
The Cure @ Sasquatch 2008 (more by Chris Graham)
today in NYC
* Puscifer @ BAM
* Chorinho @ Barbes
* The Archive @ Zebulon
* Slick Rick @ BB King's
* The Cure @ Beacon Theatre
* The Crooked Trio @ Barbes
* Chia's Dance Party @ Barbes
* Dead Cat Bounce @ The Stone
* Nicki Minaj @ Grand Ballroom
* moe., Dumpstaphunk @ Terminal 5
* Kid Sister, Congorock @ Webster Hall
* Dark Star Orchestra @ Best Buy Theater
* Carlo De Rosa's Cross-Fade @ The Stone
* Guster, Brett Dennen @ Wellmont Theater
* Ronnie Spector & more @ South Street Seaport
* Donna The Buffalo, Richie Stearns @ City Winery
* Assault, Mucky Pup, Hodge Podge @ Mexicali Live
* Robert Randolph and The Family Band @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Andy & Zeus, Thick Shakes, Summer Saints @ Cake Shop
* Xela, Hubble, Hobo Cubes, Bret Schneider @ Cameo Gallery
* ChameleonsVox, Black Swan Lane, Tyburn Saints @ Littlefield
* Elysian Fields, Elizabeth & The Catapult @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Jeffrey Lewis, Diane Cluck, Toby Goodshank @ Mercury Lounge
* Stephen Kellogg & The Sixers, Jon McLaughlin @ Bowery Ballroom
* Bubbles, The Cold Ones, Little Italy & friends @ Santos Party House
* Fake Hooker, Graffiti Monsters, BEEF, Untitled Smhoak Mosheein Collaboration @ Big Snow Buffalo Lodge
* Hand Cream, Pet Milk, Mannequin Pussy, Great Valley @ Death By Audio
Today is also a Record Store Day.
Remember Record Store Day comes two times a year now. There's the regular Record Store Day which happens the third Saturday in April, and there's the Black Friday Record Store day (aka today, 11/25,2011), which also brings special releases to many participating record stores.
Bull Moose's Chris Brown discusses what you'll find in record stores today, in the videos below...
today in NYC
* Kackala @ Zebulon
* Ute Lemper @ Joe's Pub
* Jack Grace @ Barbes
* Raya Brass Band @ Barbes
* Zoobombs @ Bruar Falls
* Dave Brubeck @ Blue Note
* Charles Burnham @ The Stone
* Sam Adams, LA Riots @ Irving Plaza
* Dipset @ Hammerstein Ballroom
* Darlene Love @ South Street Seaport
* K Holes, Snake Dudes @ Death By Audio
* Palmyra, Heather Duby, The Ashes @ Cake Shop
* Julianna Barwick, Family Dynamics @ 92YTribeca
* Levon Helm Band, Steve Earle @ Beacon Theatre
* Meg & Dia, Joey Ryan, Spring Standards @ Maxwell's
* JJ Grey & Mofro, Ryan Montbleau Band @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Midnight Juggernauts, Bikini, Chappo @ Bowery Ballroom
* Free Energy, Foxy Shazam, Hollerado @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Heaven, Snowden (DJ Set), Perfect Prescription (DJ Set) @ Glasslands
* The So So Glos, The Rassle, Devin Therriault @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Scott Robinson, Marshall Allen, Pat O'Leary, Kevin Norton, Henry Grimes @ The Stone
* Doomtree (P.O.S. / Dessa / Sims / Cecil Otter / Mike Mictlan / Lazerbeak / Paper Tiger), Metermaids @ Knitting Factory
Ray Davies is not playing the Wellmont Theater tonight.
Did you get any Black Friday Record Store Day releases?
"Word is out that your local indie record store may just be the place to be this Post-Thanksgiving-Shopping-Melee-Day, also known as Black Friday. And that's because indie stores across the country will be the place to get special releases created just for you, for giving and getting this holiday season, and they're scheduled for release on Black Friday.Two of the special Black Friday releases are pictured above - one is a Roky Erickson/Black Angels LP & DVD, and the other is the deluxe edition of the new Killing Joke album Absolute Dissent (out now!), that "includes extra disc with bands like Metallica, Helmet, Foo Fighters and Fear Factory covering Killing Joke songs."
Now, this is not Record Store Day, Jr. or RSD 11 or Son of the Return of Record Store Day. This is just a group of special releases that you can only find at record stores. Some of them are uber-limited, some of them are available at record stores before they're available anywhere else. But they're all special, and they kind of fly in the face of what Black Friday has become, which is "I have to shop, let's see how fast and cheap I can get it over with". The magic of these pieces is that every one of them is something someone will really LOVE to get, and you'll really ENJOY giving. And you'll have the extra nice feeling of supporting a local independently owned business during the holidays. So check out the list of titles, and keep in mind that not all stores on this page will carry everything, so start a conversation with your local store. Or print this out as a Wish List and hide it where your gift-giving loved ones are sure to find it. [Record Store Day]
As previously mentioned, Killing Joke are playing Irving Plaza on December 3rd. Updated tour dates and a video of a dude showing off some of the records you can get Friday, below...
Iron & Wine at ATP NY 2009 (more by Ryan Muir)
Iron & Wine kick off a US tour on Saturday (11/13) with a show in St Louis at The Pageant. It's a short trip that will be followed by a two month break. Post-break, Samuel Beam and band will play two big US album release shows before heading to Europe for a tour. Those two 2011 US shows are January 26th at The Wiltern in LA with the Low Anthem, and January 29th at Radio City Music Hall with Edie Brickell. Tickets for the NYC show go on AMEX presale Wednesday, 11/10, at 11am, and then go on regular sale Friday at 11am.
Iron & Wine's new LP, Kiss Each Other Clean, will be released on January 25th (one day before the LA show) via Warner Brothers (and 4AD in Europe, Japan, and Australia). And,
Kiss Each Other Clean's opening track, "Walking Far From Home," will be released on 12" vinyl and as a CD single that is sold exclusively through independent retailers in conjunction with "Back to Black Friday" on November 26th, in which independent record stores will be the only source for several exclusive new releases across the country."Back To Black Friday" is a new initiative by the people behind Record Store Day. Basically they'll be releasing exclusive records now on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving/the businest shopping day of the year) in addition to on Record Store Day which takes place in April.
The Iron and Wine single will also be available digitally on 11/30. In addition, 4AD will release two of those songs as a 7" on 1/17/11. Check out the teaser trailer and tracklist for the LP, as well as all tour dates below...
Parents beware, Zhu Zhu Pet madness is spreading. It's highly contagious and has been known to infect small children -- and their parents. (Please do not confuse this particular malady with Tickle Me Elmo disease.)Like the previously mentioned Starland Ballroom sale, Ticketmaster has a page of Black Friday weekend deals. (password = TTS09)
In a toy trend that's seemingly come out of nowhere, holiday shoppers are going nuts over Zhu Zhu Pets, the tiny robotic hamsters that seem to do little else besides drive tiny metallic cars and make cute noises. [Huffington Post]
Holiday gift idea: Ticketmaster gift cards.
Tickets are still on sale for the Dinosaur Jr. shows coming up at Bowery Ballroom and Music Hall of Williamsburg.
Fuck Buttons @ Fun Fun Fun Fest
tonight in NYC
* Elysian Fields @ Joe's Pub
* Guster @ Beacon Theatre
* Across Tundras @ Union Pool
* Zero 7, Body Language @ Terminal 5
* Kid Sister, Flosstradamus @ Webster Hall
* Forro in the Dark, Pistolera @ Highline Ballroom
* Eyedea & Abilities, Themselves @ Knitting Factory Brooklyn
* Fuck Buttons, Growing, Eric Copeland (of Black Dice) @ Market Hotel
* Chin Chin, Miss Fairchild, Brooklyn Girls Soundsystem, The Not For Nothings @ Southpaw
Get $3.00 worth of free MP3s from Amazon then check out the over-500 MP3 albums they're selling for $5.00 each.
The Elysian Fields show at Joe's Pub tonight is a new record release party.
Jean Grae plays Joe's Pub on Saturday
Patton Oswalt riffing on the holiday classic "Christmas Shoes" is posted below.
Gang Gang Dance @ the Studio (more by Gabi Porter)
today in NYC
* Jim Gaffigan @ Town Hall
* Dr. Lonnie Smith @ Iridium
* Slick Rick @ Highline Ballroom
* Harry Connick Jr. @ City Center
* Little Dragon @ (le) poisson rouge
* Mr. Brownstone & Satanicide @ Irving Plaza
* Phosphorescent & Virgin Forest @ Bell House
* El Ten Eleven & Abigail Warchild @ 92yTribeca
* Gang Gang Dance, Marnie Stern & Zs @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Amazing Baby, Suckers, Tigercity & Kristina Lieberson @ Mercury Lounge
Rakim's show at Southpaw tonight was cancelled, but he is playing Knitting Factory on December 19th.
Chicks on Speed's show at Highline Ballroom tonight was cancelled, but they are DJing at Le Royale on Saturday.
Little Dragon share a country, a record label, and band members with Jose Gonzalez. They're currently on a tour of the United States that includes a show at Le Poisson Rouge tonight.
Jimi Hendrix's birthday was yesterday. He was born in 1942. He died September 18, 1970 at age 27. BB King's is having a tribute tonight.
Some videos for Black Friday below...