Entries tagged with: Bon Iver
Bon Iver @ MHOW (more by Ryan Muir)
DOWNLOAD: Vivian Girls - Where Do You Run To (MP3)
Bon Iver @ MHOW (more by Ryan Muir)
Bowerbirds @ MHOW (more by Ryan Muir)
today in NYC
* Old 97's @ Webster Hall
* Dan Friel @ Dead Herring
* Yellow Fever @ Cake Shop
* Booka Shade @ Irving Plaza
* The Apples in Stereo @ Blend
* The War on Drugs @ Union Pool
* Brother Ali & The Rub @ The Seaport
* Wolf Parade & Wintersleep @ Terminal 5
* Metronomy & special guest @ Union Hall (late)
* We are Scientists & Oxford Collapse @ Bowery Ballroom
* Aimee Mann & The Submarines @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Vivian Girls, Crystal Stilts & Cause Co-Motion @ Silent Barn
* RX Bandits, Portugal the Man & Maps and Atlases @ Highline Ballroom
* Eli "Paperboy" Reed & the True Loves & the Teenage Prayers @ Union Hall (early)
Check out our interview with Brother Ali.
Dead Herring is @ 141 S. 5th St in Williamsburg (JMZ to Marcy or L to Bedford). Dan Friel show starts at 8pm. 5 bucks. all ages. : BARR/SHEA/DAHL TRIO, LEADERS, NECKING & OMEGA JARDEN also on the bill.
photos by Ryan Muir
DOWNLOAD: Bowerbirds - In Our Talons (MP3)
"this is a Yahtzee"
photos by Ryan Muir
Musical ecstasy is the only way I can desribe Bon Iver's show at Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn last night (and not just because I drank too many Yahtzees). New song = amazing. Amazing = an overused word, but it works. Bon Iver's next NYC show will be headlining Town Hall in December! Details TBA soon. More pictures from the Brooklyn show (July 30, 2008) below...
Bon Iver in the crowd in Maine - July 26, 2008 (Bryan Bruchman)
today in NYC
* FREE STUFF
* Takka Takka @ Pianos
* Earlimart @ Sound Fix (free)
* The Killers @ Highline Ballroom
* Max Richter @ (le) poisson rouge
* The Submarines @ Mercury Lounge
* Butthole Surfers @ Webster Hall
* Yellow Fever in New Brunswick, NJ
* Bon Iver & Bowerbirds @ Bowery Ballroom
* Foo Fighters & Supergrass @ the Izod Center
* Extra Golden & Icy Demons @ Knitting Factory
* Crosby, Stills and Nash @ Central Park Summerstage
* Tilly & The Wall, The Ruby Suns & Vivian Girls @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
Soon you'll be able to hear "BrooklynVegan blog radio" on XM (or not at all...).
The new Presets video below...
photos by Joseph Juechao Xu
dancing in the mud
and much more....
photos by Elizabeth Weinberg
Bon Iver is out on tour and making his way to NYC to play two sold out shows in less than a week from now. On Sunday he played a set at the Pitchfork Fest in Chicago.
Justin Vernon expands Bon Iver to a four-piece and they infuse the lonesome, dark-night-of-the-soul songs on his debut album a with a communal, campfire glow. [Chicago Tribune]More pics from that below...
this is pretty cool....
For his final project as an undergrad at England's Huddersfield University, Miller came up with Colour It (Red), a book/compilation combo inspired by his favorite indie rock jams and the (Red) organization, which raises money for the AIDS/HIV-battling Global Fund.Feist, who played Hammerstein Ballroom last time she was here, plays the Prospect Park Banshell in Brooklyn this Wednesday July 9th. The show is sold out, but you can always listen for free from outside the fence. Feist is also back in NYC on July 25th to appear on Good Morning America.
Taking a cue from such indie megahits as LCD Soundsystem's "All My Friends", Panda Bear's "Comfy in Nautica", and Joanna Newsom's "Peach, Plum, Pear", Miller crafted a coloring/activity book sure to tickle pink-- er, make that red-- even the most hardened, poker-faced, arms-crossing indie music fiend.
Can you "help James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem find all his friends" by completing a maze? Care to "make Beirut's carousel pretty by colouring it"? Are you man or woman enough to "find the grizzly bear that does not fit"?? [Pitchfork]
DOWNLOAD: Bon Iver - Skinny Love (MP3)
Bon Iver has a ton of shows coming up including a bunch in July with Bowerbirds. Tickets go on sale Tuesday at noon for a July 29th show at Bowery Ballroom and for one the next day at Music Hall of Williamsburg. Bon Iver will also tour a little with Wilco, and then with AA Bondy. All dates below...
DOWNLOAD: Crystal Castles vs. Health - Crimewave (Lazrtag Remix) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Thee Oh Sees - Ghost in the Trees (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Titus Andronicus - Titus Andronicus (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: N.E.R.D. - Everything Nose (ZShare MP3 link)
today in NYC & NJ
* Hot Chip is DJing R Bar
* Paul Simon & friends @ BAM
* Diane Cluck is playing Cake Shop
* a flea market in Maxwell's from noon-four
* Rogue Wave is playing The living Room for kids
* Tyler Ramsey of Band of Horses is at Joe's Pub
* Deer Tick, Castanets AND Titus Andronicus @ Knitting Factory
Watch the recent Portishead webcast.
Crystal Castles used Trevor Brown's art without permission (or so Trevor Brown claims).
RIP Charlton Heston (even if he liked shooting things so much). They say he was nice. Stars attended his LA funeral. Fox News called Michael Moore the "most sanctimonious sack of feces on the planet". Charlton Heston dominates Michael Moore's "link of the week".
La Blogoteque video of Bon Iver below. What else?
Bon Iver @ Bowery Ballroom, NY, NY - Feb 22, 2008 (Jason Bergman)
Bon Iver @ Glasslands Gallery, Brooklyn, NY - Feb 23, 2008 (Tod Seelie)
Bon Iver just played 3 NYC shows. Black Mountain headlined two of them. BV mostly-metal contributor Black Bubblegum was at the Bowery show. Here's what he had to say...
I came there for Black Mountain... I can't lie. They were fantastic. Stephen McBean's guitar tone brought to mind Tony Iommi and Amber Webber did her best Grace Slick. They killed and so does "In The Future".NYC Taper recorded the Glasslands show. Check out some recent non-NYC Bon Iver videos below.....
What surprised me was the stunning power of Bon Iver! Every ounce of greatness that "For Emma...." evokes was matched on the Bowery stage. The disheveled Justin Vernon had the ladies swaying and singing quietly, some holding cameras up to capture the whole set on video (links to those?). Vernon and his bandmates du jour were dead on. "The Wolves (Act I and II)" was easily the highlight, with a Mogwai-like crescendo as the crowd built upon the "what might have been lost" chorus. I have the digital version of "For Emma..." but I decided that I needed the vinyl.
The new Mountain Goats album, Heretic Pride, is garnering critical accolades (including an 8.0 in Pitchfork today), all of them deserved. Not only is John Darnielle's songwriting stronger with every new release, but he seems more comfortable with the production and collaborating musicians (including St. Vincent's Annie Clark here). Look for an interview with Darnielle on Largehearted Boy tomorrow.
A Mountain Goats release alone would make it a great music release week for me, but there are plenty more quality discs I can recommend. Bon Iver received plenty of music blog love for the hauntingly beautiful For Emma, Forever Ago. I can also strongly recommend American Music Club's The Golden Age, Allison Moorer's Mockingbird, Flowers Forever's self-titled debut, Headlights' Some Racing, Some Stopping, Mike Doughty's Golden Delicious, Raveonettes' Lust Lust Lust, and Throw Me the Statue's Moonbeams from what I have already heard.
Yep Roc reissues a remastered edition of Nick Lowe's classic album, Jesus of Cool, this week.
Poetry and Beat generation fans will be excited to see Jack Kerouac & Steve Allen's three-disc Poetry For The Beat Generation available as a standalone purchase.
What new releases you picking up this week? What can you recommend? Have I left anything worthwhile off the list?
Vernon used an array of guitars throughout the night, steel-string acoustics, a Telecaster, a Silvertone blues guitar. For "Skinny Love" he broke out the tarnished nickel National, a metal body guitar whose high, resonant tone recalls the reverberation of a crow cawing across a frozen sky. The sharpness of the chords and the sweetness of the lyrics pleading for love and patience come as distilled honesty, a quality that at once allows the music to be personal and communal. Audiences respect this power, their silence at a Bon Iver show is like a secret pact to feel together. [a review @ Reveille]Bon Iver is playing a free show at Sound Fix in Brooklyn on Thursday February 21st. That's in addition to the shows he's playing with Black Mountain at Bowery Ballroom and Glasslands the two days after that.
Hownlin' Rain just finished a mini tour with Black Mountain, and they've since announced some dates of their own. That includes Mercury Lounge in NYC on April 2nd. Tickets are on sale. Is that Freedom Rock? Well, all Howlin' Rain tour dates below.....
My last Black Mountain update included a lot more tour dates than the first time I posted about the Bowery Ballroom show they're playing with Bon Iver. This post adds even more dates. That includes a show at Glasslands in Brooklyn on February 23rd. That's one day after the Bowery show, and two days after Black Mountain play Conan O'Brien.
Their Jagjaguwar labelmate Wilderness also has a Brooklyn show coming up - March 13th at Union Pool. Listen to Bon Iver on MPR. Watch Black Mountain and Kid Millions from Oneida play at ATP. Everyone's tour dates below....
DOWNLOAD: THE JUSTICE XMAS MIX (formerly the Fabric Rejected Mix) (MP3) (info)
I am not an avid hunter at all. I hunt for food and for the tradition. I do hunt every year but only during legal seasons. My family is not a hunt-for-sport kind of family. My dad started hunting on his own, in '79. His dad didn't hunt with him or anything. He taught himself -- him and my godfather, Tom. So, now deer camp is just me, my brother Nate, Dad, and Tom. Sometimes my cousin comes with my uncle. There are antlers on the patio, but there is little to show you that we "collect trophies" or anything. I have never traveled to hunt, but I do hunt during a lot of different seasons throughout the year. I'm waking up to hunt birds with my dog in the morning, actually. I may miss turkey hunting season, but I'm sure my dad will gather a few turkeys for the table. That's what it's mostly about: being outside in the quiet, and catching your meat the only true and honest way there is. [Justin Vernon aka Bon Iver]* Violens @ Union Pool
* Holy **** @ La Royale
* Ira from CSS DJing w/ Finger on the Pulse
* Heavy Trash (Jon Spencer) & others @ Glasslands
* Franz Nicolay and others @ Silent Barn
* Richard Buckner, 1900s & Stevie Jackson (B&S) @ Mercury Lounge
* Excepter, Ecstatic Sunshine & Religious Knives @ Music Hall
* Meshell Ndegeocello @ Music Hall also
* The Hungry March Band, The Shondes, The Art of Shooting, My Teenage Stride & Royal Pink @ Luna
DOWNLOAD: Bon Iver - For Emma (MP3)
Merge posted Ivan's 2007 Top 10 list yesterday. Here are some excerpts....
10.) Selling out the Bowery Ballroom in NYC on our US Tour in May. You have to understand that our first ever show as The Rosebuds in NY was at a place called the Sidewalk Cafe on Avenue A, that held about 15 people all of whom were friends of the band we were playing with. Well, I should not say it was a real show because it really was an "Open Mic" night where everyone in the audience got in for free. The only catch was they had a two drink minimum!The Rosebuds have some shows coming up. Bon Iver has some shows coming up. More below....
2.) Watching Bon Iver's" first show ever at our Rosebuds' show at the House of Rock in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. We drove all night from Chicago to get to the afternoon show on time, and Justin (aka Bon Iver) who was our guitarist on tour kept telling us about how awesome his hometown was and about this place called The Joynt down from the venue where his parents met. Well what was awesome was the Bon Iver set. That was the first time any of us ever saw Justin play those songs. When he played "For Emma, For Ever Ago" and dedicated it to Kelly and me, it was all I could do to even watch the song it was so good. If I would have been more of a man I would have just balled my eyes out like I wanted to right there in front of everyone. But I kept it together that time.
DOWNLOAD: Howlin Rain - Roll On the Rusted Days (MP3)
Oakland, CA: Howlin Rain, the epic spin-off project of Comets on Fire (Sub Pop) co-founder and lead singer Ethan Miller, has just been signed by Rick Rubin to American Recordings. Progenitors of the heavy psych/folky sound that has been branded "The New Weird America" by the press, Miller has put together an outfit that exudes the magical musical legacy of their Bay Area blues-driven homebase (Quicksilver Messenger Service and Grateful Dead), taps into the psychedelic brotherhood of the 13th Floor Elevators and calls to order the songmanship of classic CSNY, while possessing the originality to create their own visionary sound. Howlin Rain’s spring 2008 release, Magnificent Fiend, will be a joint venture with San Francisco's Birdman Records. [press release]Howlin' Rain are playing some shows with Black Mountain who are also playing some other shows with Blood on the Wall and Bon Iver. I already posted the NYC date last year. Soon afterwards someone sent me all the tour dates. They are below.....
Jajaguwar label-mates Black Mountain & Bon Iver aren't actually going on tour together. Well, maybe they are, but one hasn't been announced yet. They are playing together at Bowery Ballroom on February 22nd though. Tickets are on sale. It will be Bon Iver's third Bowery show - the first was CMJ, and then he opened for Elvis Perkins.
Black Mountain's new double album called In the Future is out January 22nd.
The new album possesses immense breadth, seamlessly showcasing short and classic folk-pop gems along with driving modern rock masterpieces, peaking with "Bright Lights", a seventeen-minute multi-dimensional opus that gives Pink Floyd's "Echoes" a run for its money. (says their press release)Bon Iver's re-released For Emma, Forever Ago is out February 19th. All tour dates below.....
American Gangster, out today
So, I (Wendy Day) see three ways to get a deal (that you'd want to have) in this industry (hip hop):Here's some (mostly non-hip hop) artists who recently received record deals....
1. Get put on by an established artist (but bear in mind that you may only be as successful as that artist. It's rare that someone puts you on and you blow up larger than they are). This means coming up under Busta Rhymes, Jay Z, Kanye, BG, Jeezy, T.I., 50 Cent, Nelly, Eminem, Dr Dre, etc. With any luck, the artist who puts you on is fair and doesn't do to you what was done to him when he was coming up.
2. Create a buzz. In a perfect world, you want everyone in the industry and on the streets talking about you before you get signed. Young Buck was a perfect example of an underground artist who had a very strong buzz when he was coming up. The trick is to keep it going til you get signed and then turn it up a notch so that the whole industry is buzzing about when you're going to drop (50 Cent is a great example of someone who kept up the buzz). This option usually takes many years to land a good deal.
3. Sell units. This is, of course, my favorite method because it proves to the labels you can sell, which reduces their risk and gives you negotiating leverage. Therefore, you have more control over the "fairness" of your deal, and often a choice of labels to sign with. In a perfect world, you want to be with a label that not only believes in you, but has an experienced hard-working staff in every department that can really make your project happen. Plus, a nice bidding war never hurts… [All Hip Hop]
* Man Man signed to ANTI
* Bob Mould signed to ANTI
* The Raveonettes signed to VICE
* Murder by Death signed to VAGRANT
* Story of the Year signed to EPITAPH
* Margot & The Nuclear So & Sos signed to EPIC
* Hilary McRae signed to HEAR MUSIC
* Bon Iver signed to JAGJAGUWAR
* Annuals signed to CANVASBACK
* No Age signed to SUB POP
* Blitzen Trapper signed to SUB POP
* Black Kids signed to ALMOST GOLD
* School of Language signed to THRILL JOCKEY
* Quinn Walker signed to VOODOO-EROS
* Russian Circles signed to SUICIDE SQUEEZE
* Growing signed to SOCIAL REGISTRY
* Thao Nguyen signed to KILL ROCK STARS
* Clipse signed to COLUMBIA
* The Cool Kids signed to CHOCOLATE INDUSTRIES
* Radiohead signed to XL RECORDINGS
DOWNLOAD: Bon Iver - Skinny Love (MP3)
Bon Iver @ Bowery Ballroom - Oct 16, 2007 (BV CMJ) (CRED)
Bon Iver, aka former DeYarmond Edison member Justin Vernon, has signed to Jagjaguwar for the official release of his sweet-spot-hitting debut For Emma, Forever Ago early next year." [Pitchfork]Tour dates & more CMJ pics/reviews, HERE.