Entries tagged with: Breakfast at Solimays
You may remember the web series Breakfast at Sulimay's where senior citizens critiqued current bands. Stereogum reports the sad news that Joe Walker, who provided many of the show's best zingers, died on March 22 at age 90. Joe was a WWII veteran (who fought in the Battle of the Bulge) who later worked for the City of Philadelphia and was an actor as well. Joe, you'll be missed.
Watch a Scrapple TV tribute to Joe and a few classic Breakfast at Sulimay's, below...
today in NYC
* Fishbone documentary
* ASSSCAT 3000 @ UCB
* The Moon @ UCB East
* Enso String Quartet @ Barbes
* Jon Brion @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Angelo Moore @ Bowery Electric
* Deadmau5, Excision @ Roseland Ballroom
* Al Stewart, Dave Nachmanoff @ City Winery
* Trans Am, The Psychic Paramount @ Union Pool
* Foot Village, Vaz, Zs, Alaskas @ Death By Audio
* YACHT, Monogold, Trouble Andrew @ Dekalb Market
* Extra Life, Pygmy Shrews, Mick Barr, GDFX @ Glasslands
* Woman, K Holes, Degreaser, Love Butchers @ Saint Vitus
* Stephane Wrembel Presents The Django Experiment @ Barbes
* Jens Lekman, Geoffrey O'Connor @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Guerilla Toss, Celestial Shore, Awott, Advaita @ Bruar Falls
* Big Sean, CyHi Da Prynce, Shawn Chrystopher @ Best Buy Theater
* Jonas Reinhardt, Guardian Alien, Meridians, Tom Carter @ Zebulon
* The Lemonheads, The Shining Twins, New York Rivals @ Bowery Ballroom
* Sightings, Shinji Masuko (of DMBQ, Boredoms), Pterodactyl @ Cake Shop
* John Lennon 71st Birthday w/ Alan Merrill, Sean Yox & The Streamers, Briana Lyon & The Boys, David Peel & Apple Band @ Mercury Lounge
The Lemonheads play their first of two "It's a Shame About Ray" shows at Bowery Ballroom tonight.
today in NYC
* Mingus Mondays @ Jazz Standard
* ZZ Top @ NYCB Theatre at Westbury
* Rocco DeLuca @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Dickey Betts, Kristy Lee @ City Winery
* Male Bonding, Love Inks @ Mercury Lounge
* Safe, Gem Club, Evi Antonio @ Cameo Gallery
* Smoke DZA, Asap Rocky, Bun B, Va$htie @ SOB's
* Mick Barr, Kevin Hufnagel, Andrew Hock @ Zebulon
* Shaina Taub, The Superpower Horns @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Extra Arms, Panic Manor, Diehard, Sexy Neighbors @ The Rock Shop
* Steven Page (Barenaked Ladies), The Jay Baird Band @ Mercury Lounge
* Robbers On High Street, The Candles, Hurricane Bells @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Dustin Wong, Teen Dreams, Nelly Kate, Shams, Nonhorse @ Death By Audio
* Remember: the Music of Michael Jackson featuring Duwende @ Highline Ballroom
* We Are Augustines, Princeton, Guards, Cerebral Ballzy (Daytrotter Barnstormer) @ The Living Room
* The As-Is Ensemble, Tony Scherr Trio with Anton Fier and Rob Jost, Robbie Fulks @ The Living Room
* Teddy Kumpel Loopestra, Holidays In London, Elaine K, Lesley Roley, Ippazzi @ Rockwood Music Hall
The Stone is closed tonight.
ZZ Top were supposed to play Westbury on Sunday. It was postponed until tonight.
Breakfast at Sulimay's reviews Bon Iver. Video below...
The Rural Alberta Advantage's recently released video for "Muscle Relaxants", below...
The Raveonettes @ MHOW in April (more by Amanda Hatfield)
today in NYC
* It Is It @ Pianos
* ASSSSCAT 3000 @ UCB
* Family Day @ Hearst Plaza
* Kenji Garland @ The Stone
* David Garland @ The Stone
* Hannibal Buress @ Knitting Factory
* Ben Holmes, Patrick Farrell @ Barbes
* Todd Barry, Ted Alexandro @ Maxwell's
* Williamsburg Salsa Orchestra @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Dan Paul, Jared McCann @ The Manhattan Inn
* Eiko & Koma @ Paul Milstein Pool, Hearst Plaza
* Mister Melt, Street Gnar, 30th Century Men @ Bruar Falls
* Teen Daze, Brothertiger, Monster Rally, Teeel @ Glasslands
* The Machine (Pink Floyd tribute) @ Rocks Off Concert Cruise
* The Raveonettes, Eternal Summers @ Beekman Beer Garden
* Stephane Wrembel Presents The Django Experiment @ Barbes
* Violent Bullshit, Herzog Rising, This Heart Electric @ Cake Shop
* Fielded, Phantom Family Halo, Hexbreaker Quartet @ Death By Audio
* JEFF The Brotherhood, Kingdom, Friends @ Rockaway Beach Boardwalk
* Harry & The Potters, MC Kreacher, Leema Mountain @ Knitting Factory
* Brent Arnold, Lullabies For Falling Empires, Big Spider's Back @ Zebulon
* Mavis Staples, The Relatives @ Lincoln Center's Damrosch Park Bandshell
* Yvette, Liquor Store, Night Beats, Dinowalrus, So So Glos (DJt) @ Shea Stadium
* SETH (John & Lala of Excepter), Video Love, Enoch ALN Axinite @ 271 Starr Street
* Yemen Blues, Watcha Clan, Shabate, Awesome Tapes from Africa @ Central Park Summerstage
* Wild Yaks, Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson, The Heaven's Jail Band, Virgin Forest @ Cameo Gallery
Check out This Week in Indie for more reading.
Check out more about free shows happening this week, Raveonettes at Beekman Beer Garden today included.
The Newport Folk Fest continues today in Rhode Island, rare appearance by Middle Brother included.
Mavis Staples played Newport on Saturday and plays a free Lincoln Center Out Of Doors show today.
Celestial Shore, Advaita, Guerilla Toss, The Rex Complex @ Silent Barn is cancelled.
Breakfast at Sulimay's is back with a new episode. The gang listens to the Antlers and Limp Bizkit. Check out the video below...
Watch Austra perform "The Beat And The Pulse" for KEXP, below...
today in NYC
* The Samps @ Zebulon
* Capeman in Central Park
* Wale @ Highline Ballroom
* Nite Jewel @ Other Music
* Clinic, Ava Luna, Balene @ The Bell House
* The Forms, Me You Us Them @Knitting Factory
* Growing, Blues Control @ Walter Reade Theater
* Daft Punk & David Byrne movies & dance party @ Solar One
* Painting, Fuck Fuck, Psycho Wipeout, Filmstrip, Shark? @ Death By Audio
* Hesta Prynn, A Million Years, Mystery Roar, Beloved Rogue @ Mercury Lounge
* Missionaries, Cybelle Blood, Easter Vomit, DJ Timmy Chaos in Tejas @ Bruar Falls
* Neon Indian, Miniature Tigers @ The Studio at Webster Hall
The Forms are back.
Hesta Prynn used to be in Northern State and has strangely collaborated with Clown from Slipknot. She plays Mercury Lounge tonight.
Breakfast at Sulimay's is back. They review Rammstein, below...
Eugene Mirman @ Bell House earlier this month (more by Ryan Muir)
tonight in NYC
* The Beets @ Ace Hotel
* Sourvein, Ramps @ Charleston
* Summer Cats, Onward Chariots @ Bruar Falls
* Xenia Rubinos, Arrington De Dionyso @ Pianos
* Hans Chew, Soft Black, Zachary Cale @ Union Pool
* Kidrockers w/ Beach Fossils, Bottle Up & Go @ Living Room
* Data Dog, Dearling Physique, Eric Lindley @ The Cameo
* RJD2, Break Science, Happy Chichester @ Highline Ballroom
* Title Tracks, Pretty & Nice, Gold Drum, Mussels @ Cake Shop
* Care Bears On Fire, Tangents, Jack Skuller @ (early) Cake Shop
* Awesome Color, Tyvek, Talk Normal, CSC Funk Band @ Market Hotel
* Little Women, Ryan Power, Buke and Gass, Sam Mickens @ Death By Audio
* Jason Anderson, White Pines, Matt Jones, The Long Eye @ Public Assembly
* Tearing the Veil of Maya w/ Eugene Mirman & Michael Showalter @ Union Hill
* Washed Out, Small Black, Pictureplane, Oneohtrix Point Never @ Mercury Lounge
Washed Out and Small Black play two nights in a row at Mercury Lounge together.
Awesome Color and Tyvek's tour together (which includes SXSW) comes to Market Hotel for a show with Talk Normal (who'll be at SXSW too) and CSC Funk Band. Talk Normal goes on tour with Xiu Xiu and Tune-Yards after that.
Little Women are a twisted, beyond-energetic jazz quartet that's putting their first full-length, Throat, out April 13th on Aum Fidelity. (((unartig))) recently put together a video retrospective on the group. They play Death By Audio tonight with Ryan Power, Buke and Gass and Sam Mickens.
"The sound awards usually go to the loudest movies, which mean "Avatar" or "The Hurt Locker" this year. "Avatar" may have the edge because this category favors blockbusters like past winners "The Dark Knight" and "King Kong." But I'm betting on "Hurt Locker" here for two reasons. There's a lot of love for this film and voters will want to spread it around. Secondly, it probably strikes voters as the loudest film because it's about bombs going off (or not going off). Recent winner in this category was another war movie up for best picture, "Letters From Iwo Jima."" [LA Times]
RJD2 hits Highline Ballroom tonight. While in Philly he was interviewed by Joe Walker of Breakfast at Sulimay's. Check that out below...
Man Man @ Rothbury 2009 (more by Graeme Flegenheimer)
tonight in NYC
* Soulive @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Jesse Malin @ Bowery Electric
* Man Man, Born Ruffians, Javelin @ NYU Kimmel Center
* Tally Hall, Jukebox The Ghost, Skybox @ Bowery Ballroom
* Gunfight, Shark?, Quiet Loudly, Scary Living @ Glasslands
* Mayer Hawthorne and the County, Nikki Jean @ Webster Hall
* The Garden Grows w/ Nate Martinez, Josh Kaufman @ Sycamore
* Japanther, Cerebral Ballzy, Filthy Savage @ Mercury Lounge
** Tigercity, VHS or BETA (DJ), Wave Machines @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Stars of Track and Field, Patryk Larney, Weatherbox @ Maxwell's
* Silk Flowers, Prince Rama of Ayodhya, Blissed Out @ Market Hotel
* J Roddy Waltson & the Business, Silkamoor Rooney @ Mercury Lounge
* Animal Collective & Dany Perez: Temporal Gyrus @ Guggenheim Museum
* Sir Majesty, The Ditty Committee, Jason Anderson @ Pete's Candy Store
* The Radio Barrons, Resistor, Open Ocean, Hundred In The Hands @ Pianos
* Gray Goods, Art Sorority For Girls, Soft Black, Ed Vallence @ Bruar Falls
* Brian Scary & The Shredding Tears, Yukon Blonde, Autumn Owls @ Littlefield
* Outpost, Ceremony, Screen Vinyl, Image, 999999999 @ Knitting Factory Brooklyn
* Patrick Bower the World Without Magic, Sparrow House, Reading @ Union Hall
Sunburned Hand of the Man, Nancy Garcia, Grasshopper, Zebu, Sord @ Death By Audio
* Cage the Elephant, As Tall As Lions, Morning Teleportation @ MHOW
* Arthur Russell Tribute release w/ Loose Joints, Dinosaur L musicians @ Santos Party House
* Hunter Gatherer, Dan Peck Trio, Wet Ink, Timetable Percussion, Glissando Bin Laden @ Issue Project Room
Wave Machines kick off a tour with their show at Le Poisson Rouge tonight.
Wave Pictures don't get here until March 15th.
Sunburned Hand of the Man cancelled their show tonight, but all the other artists on the DbA bill are still playing.
Tickets seem to still be on sale for the early Animal Collective installation/show today. The late one is sold out.
A new episode of Breakfast at Sulimays below...
tonight in NYC
* Haiti benefit @ SOB's
* Matthew Shipp @ Roulette
* Toshi Reagon @ Joe's Pub
* Hiromi @ Highline Ballroom
* Questlove (DJ) @ Brooklyn Bowl
* The Necks @ Issue Project Room
* Suzanne Vega @ Lincoln Center Allen Room
* The Felice Brothers @ Mexicali Live (Teaneck, NJ)
* Cold War Kids, Alec Ounsworth @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Dinosaur Feathers, Carnivores, Shark?, Backwords @ Cake Shop
* Monuments, Violent Soho, Glint, Majority Rules @ Mercury Lounge
* Oh No Ono, The Depreciation Guild, Hooray For Earth @ Union Hall
* The Silent League, New Numbers, Ludlow Lions, Youngman Grand @ Bruar Falls
* Deadbeat Darling, Black Taxi, The London Souls, TAB the Band @ Bowery Ballroom
* Team Robespierre, Truman Peyote, Total Slacker, Ana Lola Roman, Easter Vomit @ Don Pedro
* Jonte', Bad Brilliance, Narcissister, Roxy Cottontail (DJ), Andrew WK (DJ) @ Santos Party House
* Haiti benefit w/ Flanagan Smith, Matt Jones, Alyson Greenfield, Charlene Kaye, Outernational, Automa @ Public Assembly
* Mandy The BandiT & The iT Band, A Big Yes...and a small no, Dave Doobinin, Mieka Pauley, David Jacobs-Strain, Chris Ayer, Walter Parks @ Rockwood Music Hall
Tragedy: All Metal Tribute to the Bee Gees was scheduled to play at Maxwell's, but it was canceled.
Cold War Kids & Alec Ounsworth do MHOW tonight and then Terminal 5 on Friday.
Mission of Burma kick off a two night run at Bowery Ballroom on Friday.
Les Savy Fav and Vivian Girls kick off the Sounds Like Brooklyn fest at BAM on Friday.
The Antlers also play one of those BAM shows. Check out an interview they did with Joe Walker from Breakfast at Sulimay's below...
Bon Iver in a graveyard in Sept. (more by Darren Kim)
tonight in NYC
* Kid Cudi @ Irving Plaza
* Spoon & Mahogany @ Mercury Lounge
* Spacecamp, Your Nature @ Coco66
* Akoya Afrobeat @ Knitting Factory
* Questlove (DJ), Q-Tip (DJ) @ Brooklyn Bowl
* MNDR, Zambri, Tayisha Busay @ Glasslands
* Vetiver, Avi Buffalo, Inlets @ The Bell House
* Justin Vernon (Bon Iver) & Steve Kimock @ Merkin Concert Hall
* Darlings, Lonnie Walker, Motel Motel, Gunfight @ Union Pool
* Free Energy, Eastern Midwestern, pow wow!, Neighbors @ Pianos
* Signal Break, Sunshower Orphans, Mr. Dream, NT Trio @ Cake Shop
* Langhorne Slim, April Smith & the Great Picture Show @ Maxwell's
* Dub Is a Weapon, Bigga Mention, Rob Symeonn @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Vampire Weekend, Kwame Dawes (author) @ Barnes & Noble Union Square
* Lady GaGa, Jason Derulo, Semi Precious Weapons @ Radio City Music Hall
* Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players, Supercute, Julia Weldon @ Knitting Factory Brooklyn
* Support Haiti Benefit w/ Lewis Black, Vernon Reid & Corey Glover of Living Colour, Rich Pagano & The Sugarcane Cups, Marshall Crenshaw, David Johansen @ City Winery
Spoon announced that some tickets will be available at the door for tonight's Mercury Lounge show. Expect a line.
Lightspeed Champion is not playing Bowery Ballroom tonight.
Various new videos below.
Doveman in an apartment in October (more by Ezra Caldwell)
tonight in NYC
* Imogen Heap @ Webster Hall
* Phish @ Madison Square Garden
* McCoy Tyner Trio @ Blue Note
* Happy Ending Music w/ Doveman @ Joe's Pub
* David Thomas w/ Greil Marcus @ The New School
* The Mountain Goats, Final Fantasy @ The Bell House
* The Shaky Hands, Takka Takka, US Royalty @ Knitting Factory Brooklyn
* Titus Andronicus, The Beets, Algernon Cadwallader @ NYU Kimmel Center
* Jaguar Love, The King Left, Yes Giantess, Violent Soho @ Mercury Lounge
* Terra Nova: Sinfonia Antarctica w/ DJ Spooky & ICE @ BAM Howard Gilman Opera
* Phoenix, Passion Pit, Jack's Mannequin, Manchester Orchestra @ Hammerstein
The Mountain Goats are in town for two sold-out shows with Final Fantasy. Last night was at Webster Hall. Tonight they're at the Bell House. John Darnielle also showed up to play a few songs at UCB Monday night. A video of John covering The Hold Steady in Minneapolis, below.
DJ Spooky's collaboration with the International Contemporary Ensemble (ICE), the multimedia work Terra Nova: Sinfonia Antarctica, runs tonight, Friday and Saturday at BAM Howard Gilman Opera House. Video below.
Bjorn from Peter Bjorn and John is DJing at Cake Shop tonight. It's a free show with a performance by The Suzan who recently opened for the band at Terminal 5.
Amazon is giving away a different free holiday song each day until Christmas.
If someone asks you for a miracle while you're walking by MSG this evening, it's because Phish is back. They covered TV on the Radio the other day in Albany. Video below...
Ann from Breakfast at Sulimays interviewed Neon Indian. Video below.
Kurt Vile on WFMU @ UCB - Oct 7, 2009 (notladj)
"Kurt opened the night with two solo numbers that haven't appeared on any record, to my knowledge. I recognized "Peeping Tomboy" from one of the Ray Concepcion videos from Kurt Vile's last Silent Barn show, which I've posted below. If I had any doubt that Kurt Vile has any more good material left in him after this new album, "Peeping Tomboy" puts my worries to rest. With the October 6th release of Childish Prodigy, it was no surprise that Kurt Vile and the Violators mostly performed songs from that album. However, he performed a couple of songs off Constant Hitmaker, and they were given the Violators treatment. Of course, KV and the Violators tackled "Freeway," the song that Kurt once referred to as their Billboard chart hit, "right above 'Like a Rolling Stone.'" By far, the live version of "Freeway" is my favorite, mostly due to J Turbo's added harmonica part. No "My Sympathy" this night, but Kurt said he would definitely play it at his next NYC show. I will be there." [LAMIMAB]That review of from Kurt Vile's show at Mercury Lounge last night (10/7). A few hours earlier he played a set at UCB that was aired live on WFMU (that's where the picture was taken).
Kurt Vile and the Violators are now on tour, but they'll be back soon. They were just added as opener on the November 18th Big Star show at Brooklyn Masonic Temple. Some tickets are still available.
A bunch of videos below...
Antony @ Apollo Theater in 2008 (more by Ryan Muir)
tonight in NYC
* Atlantic Antic
* Lucinda Williams @ Irving Plaza
* NY Burlesque Fest @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Dinosaur Jr @ Northern Lights in Clifton Park
* Sufjan Stevens, Cryptacize @ Bowery Ballroom
* Woe, Aluk Todolo, Malkuth, Castevet @ Union Pool
* The Legendary Shack Shakers, The Defibulators @ The Bell House
* Chain and the Gang, Silk Flowers, Julianna Barwick, Screens @ Mercury Lounge
* Maps and Atlases, Princeton, Laura Stevenson & The Cans @ Knitting Factory
* Life of the World to Come (film) w/ Rian Johnson, John Darnielle @ Housing Works
* Gavin Friday & Friends w/ U2 members, Rufus Wainwright, Laurie Anderson, Antony & many, many more @ Carnegie Hall
Sufjan Stevens kicks off a four-night run with Cryptacize at Bowery Ballroom.
"Count yourselves among the fortunate, Philadelphians. Celebrated songwriter Sufjan Stevens is playing only 14 shows on his tour that launched at a sold-out Johnny Brenda's on Monday, and with a repeat performance scheduled last night, two of the indie auteur's dates were set at the cozy Fishtown club.Sufjan performed all of Seven Swans at ATP NY this year.
Stevens' 75-minute set with his six-piece band was notable for more than just its intimate setting. (Last time through town, Stevens - who brought the indie-music world to ecstasy with his 2005 folk-baroque album Illinois - sold out the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, roughly 10 times the size of Johnny Brenda's.)
Coming on stage in a Zoo York skull-and-bones T-shirt and camouflage cap, Stevens was backed by an able and adaptable ensemble that included a trombonist who played guitar and a trumpeter who switched off to French horn and keyboards. Finger-picking a banjo, and singing in a tremulous voice, Stevens began by conveying a sense of spiritual wonder with "All the Trees in the Field Will Clap Their Hands" from 2004's biblical-flavored Seven Swans." [philadelphia inquirer]
Lucinda Williams plays from her 1992-2001 catalogue at Irving Plaza tonight. She played the same venue last night.
Rian Johnson's Mountain Goats concert film, Life of the World to Come, screens at Housing Works Bookstore with the director and John Darnielle in attendance.
Chain and the Gang, Silk Flowers, Julianna Barwick and Screens play Mercury Lounge.
Zazen Boys were scheduled to play Southpaw tonight, but their trip here was canceled.
NY Burlesque Fest continues at (Le) Poisson Rouge.
Have you checked out the new Knitting Factory Brooklyn yet? Tonight the venue presents Princeton, Maps and Atlases, and Laura Stevenson & The Cans. In October Princeton is going on tour with Art Brut.
Gavin Friday & Friends holds a benefit at Carnegie Hall. Guests include Laurie Anderson, Antony, Elizabeth Ashley, Bono, Adam Clayton, Andrea Corr, The Edge, Flo & Eddie, Joel Grey, Bill Frisell, Guggi, Scarlett Johansson, Courtney Love, Lydia Lunch (who played Music Hall last night), Patrick McCabe, Maria McKee, Shane MacGowan, Eric Mingus, Larry Mullen, Jr., JG Thirlwell, Martha Wainwright, Rufus Wainwright, Chloe Webb and "special guests" (the phrase starts to lose meaning...).
Video of Lady Gaga on SNL, new Breakfast at Sulimay's, Volcano Choir and more below...
Tickets are on sale for the Julian Plenti show at the Guggenheim.
Tickets are on sale for the Har Mar Superstar shows at Mercury Lounge and Music Hall of Williamsburg.
Athlete is playing Bowery Ballroom on November 3rd. Tickets are on sale.
Florence & The Machine are playing Bowery Ballroom on October 27th. Tickets are on sale.
Three Pavement shows are on sale and/or sold out.
Do Make Say Think, Art Brut, Girls, and Land of Talk tickets went on sale today.
Wolfmother, The Cult & Type O Negative tickets are on sale.
New Yorker Festival tickets went on sale at noon.
Breakfast at Sulimays reviews DJ Tiesto (featuring Tegan & Choir) and Volcano Choir (Bon Iver) in the video below...
Jay-Z @ Gramercy Theatre on 9.9.09 (more by Brian Ach/WireImage)
The Melvins @ Webster Hall in May (more by Ryan Muir)
tonight in NYC
* Jay-Z @ Madison Square Garden
* Ben & Vesper, Ortolan @ Sycamore
* Pomegranates, Phantogram @ Union Hall
* Gowns, US Girls, Noveller @ Cake Shop
* Shilpa Ray @ Rooftop Films on the LES
* The Cult (performing "Love") @ Terminal 5
* The Rapture, The Golden Filter @ Stone Pony
* All Tomorrow's Parties @ Kutshers Country Club
* Down, Evil Army, Weedeater & The Melvins @ Nokia Theatre
* Wild Beasts, Rifle, The Library Is On Fire @ Union Pool
* Telefon Tel Aviv, Hanne Hukkelberg, The Race @ The Bell House
* Nakatomi Plaza, The Reveling, The New Dress, Avec @ Shea Stadium
* Super Furry Animals, Real Estate, The March Fourth @ Highline Ballroom
* Wordless Music w/ Tim Hecker, Grouper, Julianna Barwick @ Miller Theatre
* Glenn Branca Ensemble, Paranoid Critical Revolution @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* The Spits, Woven Bones, The Heart Punchers, Cerebral Ballzy @ Knitting Factory
* The Intelligence, Golden Triangle, Wild Yaks, Arrington De Dionyso, Smarts @ Market Hotel
* A Place to Bury Strangers, Sian Alice Group, Nine 11 Thesaurus, Experimental Dental School, Reading Rainbow @ Death By Audio
All Tomorrow's Parties kicks off at Kutshers Country Club in Monticello, NY. WFMU will be broadcasting live from the fest Saturday and Sunday. Many of the bands playing tonight will be performing an entire classic album live.
The Cult aren't playing ATP, but they're also performing a full album live in NY tonight.
Fucked Up aren't playing tonight, but they're also performing a full album in NY, and tickets went on sale today.
Super Furry Animals warm up for ATP with a show at Highline Ballroom tonight (and Maxwell's tomorrow). This one is opened by local boys Real Estate and The March Fourth.
Real Estate also have a show scheduled for Saturday at Silent Barn with Desolation Wilderness.
Melvins play ATP on Saturday. Tonight they're at Nokia Theatre with Weedeater who played a semi-secret gig at The Charleston last night.
Jay-Z plays a sold-out 9/11 benefit at Madison Square Garden. If you can't be there, you can watch it commercial free and live on Fuse (9pm). Two nights ago Jay-Z played a much smaller show at Gramercy Theatre.
Telefon Tel Aviv is back on the road. Tonight they play The Bell House with Hanne Hukkelberg and The Race. Tomorrow they're at Mercury Lounge.
Wild Beasts play the last of three NYC shows tonight at Union Pool with Rifle and The Library Is On Fire. Last chance!
Noveller, who is at Cake Shop tonight, has been announced as one of the openers for The Jesus Lizard's upcoming NYC shows. Jesus Lizard play ATP NY tonight.
Nakatomi Plaza is playing two final farewell shows this weekend at Shea Stadium which is the venue These Arms Are Snakes just announced an upcoming show at.
Wordless Music's series of shows at Columbia's Miller Theatre continues with Tim Hecker, Grouper and Julianna Barwick.
Austin band Woven Bones' big tour stops at Knitting Factory Brooklyn. Also on the bill are The Spits, The Heart Punchers and Cerebral Ballzy. Woven Bones and The Spits also play Cake Shop on Saturday.
Knitting Factory is now on its third day as a music venue in Brooklyn. Les Savy Fav was the first band to play on Wednesday. Boss Hog (who also plays ATP this weekend) and Shilpa Ray was last night.
Shilpa Ray plays a probably-moved-indoors Rooftop Films show at 350 Grand Street @ Essex tonight (which is followed by an afterparty at Fontana's)
The Intelligence is in from Seattle to play Market Hotel with Golden Triangle, Wild Yaks, Arrington De Dionyso and Smarts. The Intelligence are also at Cake Shop on Sunday.
A Place to Bury Strangers, Sian Alice Group, Nine 11 Thesaurus, Experimental Dental School and Reading Rainbow are on the bill for the second night of The Maze at Death By Audio.
Good thing Glasvegas frontman James Allan was found, and good thing it was in NY because he and his band are set to open for Kings of Leon, not to be confused with Kings of Convenience, at the Izod Center on Saturday and again at Nassau Coliseum on Monday.
Glenn Branca Ensemble play with Paranoid Critical Revolution at (Le) Poisson Rouge. Tomorrow Branca talks with artist Dan Graham. Glenn played PS1 last Saturday.
If it stops raining, PS1 is again an option for this Saturday.
A new episode of Breakfast at Sulimay's below...
Move over Grizzly Bear... Sunset Rubdown also has a new video out! That is below...
Raekwon @ Hammerstein in December '08 (more by Zach Dilgard)
tonight in NYC
* God's Pottery @ Comix
* Wild Beasts @ Joe's Pub
* The Roots @ Highline Ballroom
* Skeletons Big Band @ Roulette
* Alice In Chains @ Irving Plaza
* Yo La Tengo album release party
* Sondre Lerche, JBM @ Bowery Ballroom
* BLK JKS, Highlife, Janka Nabay @ S.O.B.'s
* Hex Message, Vacations, Pivot @ Mercury Lounge
* Mike Gordon, Marco Benevento @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Boy Crisis, Gordon Voidwell, The Naked Hearts, The Tony Castles @ The Cameo
* 1200 Trees, Runny, Genan, The Brasscup, Rumanian Buck, DJ Half Chemical @ Europa
* Raekwon, Ghostface Killah, Method Man, Beanie Sigel, Talib Kweli, Busta Rhymes, Slick Rick, more @ Santos Party House
Today was big day for CD releases. Jay-Z's Blueprint 3 festivities kick off tomorrow. But Raekwon's Built 4 Cuban Linx II shows start tonight with a party at Santos. The bill for that includes Raekwon himself, Ghostface Killah, Method Man, Beanie Sigel, Talib Kweli, Busta Rhymes, Slick Rick, Lyfe Jennings, and (the night's host) P. Diddy. There's another release show for the CD at S.O.B.'s on Sept. 10th.
Tonight S.O.B.'s is busy hosting the release show for BLK JKS' After Robots with support from Highlife and Janka Nabay.
Brooklyn transplant Sondre Lerche has a new album out today too, Heartbeat Radio. He's at Bowery Ballroom tonight and MHOW tomorrow, both with JBM. An interview with Sondre from his backyard is posted below.
UK band Wild Beasts has a CD that's out today too. They play Joe's Pub tonight, as well as two more NYC shows this week.
The Roots play with guests (as always) at the Highline Ballroom tonight.
The show at Europa tonight is a benefit to ease the medical bills of Patrick Muldoon.
Skeletons Big Band goes into its second of three nights at Roulette (they're at DBA on Thursday).
Ann from Breakfast at Sulimay's interviews Marduk, below...
Mew bongos in the darkness @ MHOW (more by Dominick Mastrangelo)
tonight in NYC
* Britney Spears @ MSG
* Nine Inch Nails, Mew @ Terminal 5
* The Alternate Routes @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Marc Ribot's Sun Ship @ Rose Live Music
* Cubic Zirconia, Michna, ApSci @ Mercury Lounge
* Spindrift, Hopewell, The Runaway Suns @ Union Pool
* Surprise Me Mr. Davis, The Low Anthem @ The Bell House
* Highline Piano Series: Phil Vassar @ Highline Ballroom
* Univox, Akudama, Ex-Humans, White Noise Supremacists @ Death By Audio
* Knight School, Prince Rainbow, Bright Lights, The Sugarplums @ Cake Shop
* Georgiana Starlington, This Frontier Needs Heroes, Feather & Folly @ Bruar Falls
Where Brooklyn at? Matt and Kim are on Jimmy Kimmel tonight. Even weirder, Care Bears on Fire (who play Irving Plaza on Saturday) are on Letterman.
Georgiana Starlington, which has ex-Black Lips guitarist Jack Hines, has a monthly residency at Bruar Falls. Tonight they play with This Frontier Needs Heroes and Feather & Folly.
If today seemed slow that's because my computer kept crashing every 5 seconds. It makes me feel better to vent, so thanks!
Breakfast at Sulimays reviews Amanda Blank (who played in Urban Outfitters last night) and Radiohead. Below...
Lou Barlow's new video for "Don't Apologize" -- off the new disc Goodnight Unknown -- is posted below. He'll be in NYC with the Missingmen on October 6th.
"A day with Ida Maria". Video below...
The Roots @ Roots Picnic (more by Tim Griffin)
tonight in NYC
* Ratt, Extreme @ Nokia Theatre!!
* The Roots @ Highline Ballroom
* Ballin' the Jack @ Hudson Square
* Steely Dan: Aja @ Beacon Theatre
* Pete Yorn, Zee Avi @ Webster Hall
* Green Day, Kaiser Chiefs @ Madison Square Garden
* Katy Perry, Cobra Starship @ Hammerstein Ballroom
* Pink Noise, Gary War, Florida, Columboid @ Silent Barn
* Ethan Iverson, Reid Anderson & Paul Motion @ Village Vanguard
* King Britt: Saturn Never Sleeps: Sun Ra-lectric @ WFC Winter Garden
* TK Webb, Pure Horsehair, Miguel Mendez, Invisible Familiars @ Bruar Falls
* Beetroot, American Princes, Soldier on Dear Friend, Electric Touch @ Pianos
* Todd P Goes to Austin premiere w/ Team Robespierre, The So So Glos, Todd P (DJ) @ The Delancey
* YACHT, Special Disco Version (DJs James Murphy & Pat Mahoney), Bad Brilliance @ Santos Party House
Free outdoor music tonight includes Ballin' the Jack at Hudson Square and King Britt: Saturn Never Sleeps: Sun Ra-lectric at the World Financial Center Winter Garden. The latter show is described as "a night of sonic and visual funk taking micro-edits of Sun-Ra source music combined with live experimentation and video collage." See a video preview, and clip from a previous Sun Ra-lectric performance, below.
There's a last minute show with Pink Noise, Gary War, Florida and Columboid happening at Silent Barn tonight.
Steely Dan play their 1977 album Aja in its entirety at Beacon Theatre. It's the first of eight "Classic Album (Plus)" shows for the band at the venue -- they'll be playing another Aja night as well as Gaucho, The Royal Scam and Internet Request Night shows.
Pete Yorn kicks off a two night run at Webster Hall with Zee Avi.
Green Day and Kaiser Chiefs play a second Madison Square Garden gig tonight.
Ethan Iverson and Reid Anderson, two thirds of the Bad Plus, kick off a weeklong run with drummer Paul Motion at the Village Vanguard tonight.
YACHT plays a CD release show (after the boat gig last night) with Special Disco Version (aka a DJ set by LCD Soundsystem's James Murphy & Pat Mahoney) and Bad Brilliance at Santos Party House.
The Delancey hosts a screening and premiere party for the Todd P Goes to Austin documentary. The night will feature sets by Team Robespierre and The So So Glos.
The new video for "This Sweet Love" by James Yuill, who played NYC in June, is below...
Jay Reatard and BBU are featured on a new Breakfast at Sulimay's. Video below..
Woods @ 979 Broadway Backyard (more by Tim Griffin)
tonight in NYC
* Dayna Kurtz @ Sycamore
* Sara Siskind @ Joe's Pub
* Aimee Mann @ City Winery
* Bonnie Baxter @ Silent Barn
* Kaki King @ Music on the Oval
* NY Philharmonic in Prospect Park
* Toby from Youth Group @ Living Room
* Jucifer, Mount Vicious, J.A.C.K. @ Cake Shop
* Asher Roth, Kid Cudi @ Nokia Theatre Times Square
* Michael Showalter, Michael Ian Black @ Bell House
* Wavves, Woods, Real Estate, PoPo @ Bowery Ballroom
* Don Byron plays Junior Walker @ Madison Square Park
* Midsummer's Night Swing w/ Otros Aires @ Lincoln Center
* Charlie Hunter/Douge Wamble/Tony Mason @ Jazz Standard
* Darcy James Argue's Secret Society @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* The Sweet Divines, The Bo-Keys, The City Champs @ Southpaw
* The Jaguar Club, The Grates, Apollo Run, Spiral Beach @ Pianos
* Cheval Sombre, Speck Mountain, Georgiana Starlington @ Bruar Falls
* Jeff the Brotherhood, Coin Under Tongue, Sisters, Lame Drivers @ Death By Audio
* Air Waves, Dan Friel, Ed Schrader, Turn Into Something, Lesser Gonzales Alvares @ Market Hotel
Free music for tonight includes Kaki King at the Stuy Town Oval, Don Byron plays the music of Junior Walker at Madison Square Park, Luisito Rosario y su Orquestra play at Battery City Park and George Lamond and Judy Torres perform at Crotona Park.
Andy Rourke of the Smiths DJ's at Beauty Bar (in Manhattan). Flyer below...
Jeff the Brotherhood kick off three nights of NYC shows with a gig at Death By Audio. Coin Under Tongue, Sisters and Lame Drivers also play.
Aimee Mann caps her trio of shows at City Winery tonight.
"Wearing jeans and a tailored black blazer, she played a solid two-hour set, breezing through old hits (a folksy take on her '80s hit with 'Til Tuesday, "Voices Carry," was a highlight) and newer favorites, including some from her latest disc, the Grammy-nominated @#%&*! Smilers. It was a fantastic show, but I was secretly hoping she'd rock out a little more--and she eventually did, trading in her acoustic for an electric bass during the encore." [Elle]The Grates start their Pianos residency.
Black Moth Super Rainbow has a new video, below...
Breakfast at Sulimays listened to St. Vincent and Isis -- that video, below...
Suzanne Muldowney (Underdog) @ the Mermaid Parade (more by Barry Yanowitz)
Tickets are on sale for that Dan Deacon, No Age & Deerhunter show happpening at the Flying W Resort in Jersey (near Philly) on August 1st. They only cost $12. Then again, the Brooklyn show with the same lineup will be free.
Dungen is playing The Bell House with Woods on August 14th. Tickets are on sale.
Mickey Factz is playing SOB's on July 14th. Tickets are on sale.
Motörhead, Nashville Pussy, and Reverend Horton Heat play Roseland Ballroom on September 9th. Tickets are on sale.
Cafe Tacuba has a show coming up at Hammerstein Ballroom on June 28th. Tickets are on sale.
The Trachtenberg Family Slideshow Players played the OJ All Day Festival at the Brooklyn Lyceum over the weekend. They play a show at Le Poisson Rouge on July 2nd. Tickets are on sale.
Nicole Atkins and the Sea are playing the Bell House with Bird of Youth on August 6th. Tickets are on sale.
Last year, Bird of Youth opened for AC Newman at the Bell House. Nicole Atkins was playing as a member of his band at that show. This past weekend AC played the Clearwater Festival, and he has a free show coming up on Thursday.
Tickets are on sale for the June 25th St. Vincent show at the Bell House. St Vincent just toured with Pattern is Movement who are playing that same night at the Bell House's sister club Union Hall with Bell and Inlets. Tickets are on sale for that too.
Jimmy Gestapo of Murphy's Law celebrating his birthday aboard a Rocks Off Concert Cruise is a tradition that is happening again this year on August 12th. Tickets are on sale.
Q-Tip, Marky Ramone, The Misshapes, Junior Vasquez, and Paul Sevigny are all DJing the same event tonight (6/22).
Breakfast at Sulimay's reviewed Yo La Tengo and Raphael Saadiq. Video below...
Other tickets also went on sale earlier today.
Don't forget the Park Slope 5th Avenue Street Fair is this Sunday. If it still interests you that is...
IT'S SO BORING IT'S NOT THE SAME AT ALL.Rodirguez plays Bowery Ballroom tonight (5/15). Not sold out.
IT'S NOT EVEN WORTH SPENDING MONEY OR WALKING AROUND TO MANY WHITE PPL DATS WHY ITS SO BORING NOW THEY JUST TOOK OVER N MADE IT INTO A LIL VILLAGE HOW WACK IS THAT CRAB. THERE'S NO STORES AT ALL ON EACH BLOCK U GO TO THERES A BAR N FOOD PLACE JUST FOR THE WHITE PPL CUZ THE LOVE THERE BARS AND DRUGS THERE THE NUMBER 1 JUNKIE IN THIS WORLD. SO SAD THEN THERE GOOD TO TALK ABOUT THE BLACKS N SPANISH PPL PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK. [Anonymous]
Flo Rida & Gemini Wolf were reviewed by Breakfast at Sulimays. Video below..
Kylesa @ Irving Plaza last night (more by Chris La Putt)
tonight in NYC
* Karl Blau, Nels Cline @ The Stone
* Cap Lori, Pwrfl Power, Br'er @ Bruar Falls
* Dave Hill is hosting the comedy @ Union Hall
* Big Business, Tweak Bird, Titan @ Mercury Lounge
* Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Corn Mo, Bushranger (the Kin) @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Frodus, Nakatomi Plaza, Limbs, Himalaya @ Death By Audio
* Emily Easterly, Mary Page, Sasha Dobson @ Pete's Candy Store
* Sonic Suicide Squad, Peter Brotzmann, Radio I-Ching @ Cake Shop
* Times New Viking, Blues Control, Blank Dogs, Pink Reason @ Market Hotel
* Chairlift, Takka Takka, Angel Deradoorian, Secret Life of Sofia, The Gay Blades @ The Bell House
eMusic talked to Indie Rock moms...
"Wow, it's hard to pick just one song. Some of my favorites are "90 Mile Water Wall" and "Thirsty" (Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers), "Daughters of the Soho Riots" (Alligator),"Son" (The National), "About Today" (Cherry Tree) and "Squalor Victoria" and "Gospel" (Boxer). I love the unique sound each song has, and how the band pounds it out on one and soothes your soul with another. I love the passion that each member of the band has about their music and the friends they have made on this amazing journey. I am so proud of both of my sons. Thanks guys! Keep on drummin' and strummin.'" [Shari Devendorf, Mother of Scott and Bryan Devendorf (The National)]Breakfast at Sulimays' reviewed Bat For Lashes and Eminem. Video below...
Justin Timberlake and Andy Samberg premiered "Motherlover" on SNL last night. Video below...
Conor Oberst @ Coachella 2009 (more by Darren Kim)
tonight in NYC
* The Roots @ Highline Ballroom
* Riverboat Gamblers @ Knitting Factory
* Ratatat, Tussle, Black Pus @ Terminal 5
* The Dripping Tap, Renminbi @ Santos Party House
* Drink Up Buttercup, Phil and the Osophers @ Bruar Falls
* Hot Panda, Youth Group, Thought So, Monika H Band @ Pianos
* Virgin Forest, The Foundry Field Recordings, Inoculist @ Cake Shop
* FNU Ronnies, Drunkdriver, Pop. 1280, The Golden Error @ Silent Barn
* Starfucker, Guidance Counselor, New Numbers, Faces on Film @ Mercury Lounge
* Hal Willner, Sean Lennon, Yuka Honda, Steve Buscemi, Richard Hell, Chloe Webb @ Issue Project Room
Fiasco is playing Silent Barn tomorrow.
Starfucker also plays Union Hall tomorrow.
The Lollapalooza lineup was announced.
Conor Oberst is playing a show in NYC on July 4th.
Bon Iver and Common were reviewed by the Breakfast at Sulimays crew. Video below...
Bon Iver performed with a high school jazz band. Video below...
Pissed Jeans @ Market Hotel (more by Edwina Hay)
today in NYC
* Levon Helm @ Beacon Theater
* Reigning Sound @ Southpaw
* Gil Mantera's Party Dream @ Europa
* The Bird & The Bee @ the Bell House
* Wallpaper @ the studio @ Webster Hall
* Los Amigos Invisibles @ Bowery Ballroom
* Dropkick Murphys & H2O @ Roseland Ballroom
* Pissed Jeans, Arboretum & Coconuts @ Union Pool
* Pete and J, The XYZ Affair & Young Galaxy @ MHOW
* Tindersticks & Dawn Landes @ Brooklyn Masonic Temple
* Pentagram, Priestess & The Devil's Blood @ Webster Hall
* Handsome Furs, Iran & Hundred In The Hands @ Mercury Lounge
* Your Nature (formerly Frankpollis), Paper & Zazen Boys @ Cake Shop
* Dan Friel, Real Estate, Boogie Boarder, Frat Dad & Haunted Houses @ the Jackson
Reigning Sound are also playing Maxwell's Sunday.
Pissed Jeans are also playing Market Hotel on April 17th.
Arboretum is also playing Carnegie Hall on June 11th.
The Bird and the Bee are also playing Carnegie Hall on Saturday.
A new episode of Breakfast at Sulimays! Ann, Joe, and Bill review Animal Collective and Young Jeezy in the video below...
Mickey Factz playing w/ the Cool Kids during CMJ (more by Leia Jospe)
today in NYC
* Army Navy @ Union Hall
* Trap Them @ Union Pool
* Jay-Z & Lil Wayne @ Izod center
* The Roots @ Roseland Ballroom
* Born Ruffians @ Sound Fix Records
* The Legendary Pink Dots @ Knitting Factory
* Donny Goines & Mickey Factz @ Knitting Factory
* Chief, Samuel, The Postelles & FrankPollis @ Santos House Party
* Born Ruffians & Plants and Animals @ The Bell House
William Reid of The Jesus and Mary Chain was born today in 1958.
Halloween is soon.
Joe from Breakfast at Sulimay's interviewed Mogwai guitarist Stuart Braithwaite. Video below...