Entries tagged with: Christopher Owens
Christopher Owens @ Bowery Ballroom, Jan. 2013 (more by Amanda Hatfield)
Christopher Owens is offering up an acoustic version of last year's solo album, Lysandre, available as a free download from his website. You can stream "Part of Me (Lysandre's Epilogue)" below. The album will also be available on limited-edition 10" vinyl which will be released on his UK label, Turnstile, on May 20.
The vinyl version will also be available in North America on the former Girls frontman's upcoming solo acoustic tour, which stops in NYC for two shows at tiny Lower East Side club The Slipper Room on June 15 & 16. Tickets are on sale now. All tour dates are listed below.
Nude Beach at Bowery Ballroom last week (more by David Andrako)
today in NYC
* Barb Jungr @ Joe's Pub
* Soulive @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Wolfgang Gil @ The Stone
* Alan Bjorklund @ The Stone
* Champagne Jerry @ Joe's Pub
* Matt Bauder @ The Manhattan Inn
* The Mandingo Ambassadors @ Barbes
* Melting Pot anniversary @ Pianos
* Jason Robinson's Janus Quartet @ Barbes
* The Allman Brothers Band @ Beacon Theatre
* John Nolan (Taking Back Sunday) @ Maxwell's
* Seaven Teares, M. Lamar, Andrew Hock @ Saint Vitus
* Tezeo, Uumans, Candide, Princess Die @ Silent Barn
* Promethean Horde, Prostitution, Forced @ The Acheron
* Bright Light Bright Light, Peter Kirk @ Mercury Lounge
* Nude Beach, Call of the Wild, Tweens, What Next? @ Union Pool
* Kent Odessa, Black Onassis, Pegasus Warning @ Knitting Factory
* The Dardys, Time Travelers & The Electric Band @ Mercury Lounge
* The Better Letters, We Can't Enjoy Ourselves, The Eggs @ Union Hall
* Hammer Hill, Bridget Davis and The Viking Kings @ Pete's Candy Store
* Drunken Pumpkin, Bel Argosy, Battle of the Camel, Heavy Birds @ Cake Shop
* Simons at 60 w/ Gamelan Son of Lion, Lisa Karrer, Denman Maroney, Stephanie Griffin @ Roulette
* Dropkick Murphys, Jim Lockey & The Solemn Sun, Old Man Markley, Bryan McPherson @ Terminal 5
* Hollie Wood, Venor, Kennie Dubb, Saidu, Many Miz, Muzik Artillery, Jay Cavalier, Playboy, Quez, Raze, Jimi Noel @ Public Assembly
If you're itching for live music, Union Pool's got a strong line-up with BV faves Nude Beach, Call of the Wild, Cleveland's Tweens, and What Next?.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Christopher Owens just released the video for "Here We Go" from his first solo album, Lysandre. Watch it below.
photos by Amanda Hatfield
Christopher Owens @ Bowery Ballroom, 1/22/2013
Christopher Owens played his first of two Bowery Ballroom shows last night (1/21). Playing the bulk of his solo debut, Lysandre, which barely clocks in at a half-hour, the former Girls frontman then came back for a set of covers. Given the '70s AM vibe of his album, his choices seemed pretty appropriate: Cat Stevens' "Wild World," Donavan's "Lalena," Simon & Garfunkle's "The Boxer," The Everly Brothers' "Let it Be Me" and Bob Dylan's "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right."
Melted Toys opened the night and will do so again with Owens tonight (1/22) and tickets are still available. Pics from Melted Toys set and more of Owens' are below.
Former Girls frontman Christopher Owens releases his solo debut, Lysandre, next week (1/15) via Fat Possum. Going even further in the '70s AM style the second Girls album dabbled in, Lysandre details Owens' time in the band that brought him the spotlight. The New York Times has a feature on him today:
The breakup of Girls drove fervent speculation in the indie world. Mr. Owens said it was simply the result of growing pains and shifting lineups. "Nobody hated each other or anything like that," but success "happened a little too fast," he said. "The band would have survived longer if we would have gone slower."The NY Times is also streaming Lysandre in full, so click here to listen.
(Mr. White, the co-founder of Girls, did not reply to requests for comment.)
With "Lysandre" Mr. Owens tells the story of Girls as he experienced it, from his gritty start -- hustling, guns, "sleeping in the back of a pickup truck," as he sings on "New York City" -- to touring the south of France. Along the way there was a breakup with a boy and a long-distance romance with the Frenchwoman. Mr. Owens said he was "very attracted to women" and didn't seek out relationships with men, but they happened.
Veronica Falls at South Street Seaport in June (more by Amanda Hatfield)
UK indie pop outfit Veronica Falls, who are touring in 2013 with great new band Cheatahs, just spoke to us about their ten favorite things of 2012 music, film, and TV-wise. It was singer/guitarist James Hoare, specifically, who sent his list over, and he really likes Girls. He's got the single for "My Ma" by the now-defunct band, the solo album by frontman Christopher Owens (which actually comes out next year, but we'll let it slide), AND the television show of the same name all in his top 10 list. He's also got fellow indie poppers Mac DeMarco and Woods, and reveals his classic rock soft spot by including the new Rolling Stones song.
James' full list is below...
"Just saw Christopher Owens solo show at Le Poisson Rouge. A solid 100 on the Earnestness Scale. So many feelings were felt." - Jason Persse
Christopher Owens @ Le Poisson Rouge - 11/14/12 (via We All Want Someone)
Owens played mostly sitting in his chair, swimming in his professorial, pleated suit, pleading for the attention of an audience that was all too willing to give it. The album's songs, in total, lasted only about half an hour, followed by maybe twenty minutes of covers. All of it was good. The new band he has assembled, thankfully, is just as good as (and, for the most part, the same as) the guys who backed him in Girls. [Shane Barnes]Ex-Girls frontman Christopher Owens played a last minute show in NYC last night (11/14) at Le Poisson Rouge, one of a few shows in advance of his upcoming solo album, Lysandre, which is due out on January 15 via Fat Possum. During the covers portion of his set, he performed tracks by Donovan, The Everly Brothers, Simon and Garfunkel, and Cat Stevens. What did you think?
Christopher Owens will be going on a larger tour surrounding the album's release which includes two more NYC shows. He'll play Bowery Ballroom on January 21 and 22. Tickets for those shows go on sale Friday (11/16) at noon.
currently known (update: all announced now dates are listed below...
Christopher Owens has announced details of his first post-Girls solo album. It's called Lysandre and will be out January 15, 2013. The album was conceived, written and recorded as a narrative about Girls' first tour in summer 2008. Owens says the album is "A coming of age story, a road trip story, a love story." You can listen to the album's first two tracks, "Lysandre's Theme" and "Here We Go," below.
Christopher Owens w/ Girls at T5 in January (more by Amanda Hatfield)
Christopher Owens of Girls revealed today in a series of tweets that he will be leaving Girls, the band for which he is pretty much the brains behind, and a band that has experienced enormous success over the past year. The band's publicist confirms the news is true. The tweets read:
1) Dear all, This may come as a surprise to many & has been an issue of much thought for me. My decision was not easy to makeIf it's a case of Christopher not wanting to work with the other bandmembers (aka Chet "JR" White, the only other constant member), at least he's going the Jack White and the White Stripes route and not keeping the band name and replacing everyone like Billy Corgan did with Smashing Pumpkins and James Mercer with The Shins. What do you think?
2) I am leaving Girls. My reasons at this time are personal. I need to do this in order to progress
3) I will continue to write & record music. More will be announced soon. I thank you all for everything. Sincerely-Christopher
The video for "Laura" is below...