Entries tagged with: Daft Punk
Phoenix at Coachella 2013 (more by Dana (distortion) Yavin)
today in NYC
* Whiplash @ UCB
* TEEN @ Ace Hotel
* Jon Rose @ The Stone
* John Zorn @ The Stone
* Beaty Heart @ Cake Shop
* Stephane Wrembel @ Barbes
* Dessa, F. Stokes @ SubCulture
* Dark Star Orchestra @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Masaki Batoh (of GHOST) @ Spectrum
* Ife Mora, Nes Panlilio @ Mercury Lounge
* Night Train with Wyatt Cenac @ Littlefield
* Phoenix, Blood Orange @ Apollo Theater
* Huey Lewis and The News @ Irving Plaza
* Nightbox, The Griswolds @ Mercury Lounge
* Oxymorons, Sioux Lion, Kolition @ Glasslands
* Naomi O' Connell and Brent Funderburk @ Barbes
* Matthew E. White, Helado Negro @ Bowery Ballroom
* Ghostface Killah, Adrian Younge @ Gramercy Theatre
* Youngblood Hawke, The Colourist @ Santos Party House
* Child Abuse, Killer Bob, Leapling, Glockabelle @ Silent Barn
* Reverend Vince Anderson and His Love Choir @ Union Pool
* 2S & 4S, PascAli, Zombi Jazz, Brad Henkel @ Cameo Gallery
* Planning For Burial, Opponents, Decimus, Whote @ Saint Vitus
* Colour Buk, Ray Weiss, Big Muff, Western Sky Music @ Big Snow
* Sky Picnic, The Vim Dicta, Chris Stylez, Marc & The Gnats @ Pianos
* Foxygen, Amen Dunes, LODRO, Prince Rupert's Drops, Chris Gethard @ Knitting Factory
The BrooklynVegan-curated Red Bull Sound Select show happens tonight at Knitting Factory with Foxygen, Amen Dunes, LODRO, and Prince Rupert's Drops. BV's own Bill Pearis will be tonight's DJ, spinning from 7 - 8 PM and then between bands. Admission is $3 at the door. All ages, no advance tickets. Doors at 7 PM.
Phoenix's (relatively) intimate show at the Apollo tonight is sold out, but don't forget you can also see them in October at the Barclays Center with The Vaccines.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Daft Punk's Random Access Memories is now just a week away. Get a peek at the packaging (dig the old-school Columbia label) and a snippet of album opener, ""Give Life Back to Music," via an "unboxing" teaser trailer below.
The Men @ Bowery Ballroom, March 2013 (more by David Andrako)
Blood Orange @ PS1 2011 (more by Erez Avissar)
today in NYC
* Stornoway pub crawl
* Oran Etkin @ Barbes
* Midnight Stand-Up @ UCB
* Three, SIOS @ Maxwell's
* Indie Cage Match @ UCB East
* Brooklyn Flea Record Fair @ Smorgasburg
* Young Magic @ Brooklyn Museum
* Hem, Dawn Landes @ Bowery Ballroom
* Gigamesh, Xaphoon Jones @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Banda Sinaloense de Los Muertos @ Barbes
* Wax Idols, TV Ghost, Bambara @ Shea Stadium
* Beacon, Braille, Solar Year @ Mercury Lounge
* The Men, Organs, Juniper Rising @ Union Pool
* Moon Hooch, Dubious Luxury @ Knitting Factory
* Cyro Baptista and Banquet of Donkeys @ The Stone
* X Ambassadors, Deidre & The Dark @ Cameo Gallery
* Turnip King, Honduras, Heeney, Chimes @ Muchmore's
* New Beings, The French Kings, Dressage @ Glasslands
* Brian Eno's "77 Million Paintings" @ Cafe Rouge
* The Dead Waves, The Sounds That Machines Make @ Pianos
* The Everymen, Violent Past, Reese Van Rieper @ Cake Shop
* Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Bass Drum of Death @ Terminal 5
* Mike Simonetti, Tim Sweeney, Jan Woo @ Bossa Nova Civic Club
* The Naked Heroes, Violent Bullshit, The Nuclears @ The Gutter
* The Swingin' Neckbreakers, The Sights, Muck & Mires @ Don Pedro
* DJ/Rupture, Veronica Vasicka, Den Bein, James Friedman @ Brooklyn Flea
* Masakari, Death First, Trenchgrinder, Bill Bondsmen, Curmudgeon @ Acheron
* Bass Drum of Death, The Beets, Bennio Qwerty, A Giant Dog @ Death By Audio
* Tallahassee, Roadside Graves, Jane Eyre, Earthquake Lights @ Bowery Electric
* Rocky and The Pressers, King Django, Queen Majesty DJ Set @ Mercury Lounge
* He's My Brother She's My Sister, Jeffrey Lewis, Beach Day @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Blood Orange, CREEP, JD Samson & MEN, Light Asylum, Nina Sky @ Le Poisson Rouge
* NinjaSonik, Unstoppable Death Machines, ShowYouSuck, DJ Dirty Finger, Filthy Savage @ Paper Box
* Erika Spring, Pearl Necklace, Maria Minerva, Lorna Dune, La Bg Vic, Michael Alan @ Sara D. Roosevelt Park
* Blanche Blanche Blanche, Gary War, Woodsman, Weyes Blood, Matt Sullivan, EyeBodega @ Silent Barn
* LSDV, Dog Synth (Dog Dick synth set), Pvre Matrix, Homeworld, Smhoak Mosheen, Passage @ Big Snow
* Martin Dosh, Andrew Bird, Jeremy Ylvisaker, Todd Sickafoose, Shane Endsley, Ben Perowsky @ Shapeshifter Lab
* Andy Stott, Atom TM, Patrick Pulsinger, Objekt, Octo Octa, Kloke, Smax, Bryan Kasenic, Mike Servito @ Public Assembly
The Brooklyn Flea Record Fair happens today at Smorgasburg in Williamsburg with around 50 vendors with tables from labels (like DFA, Domino, Captured Tracks, Merge) and record stores (like Other Music, Record Grouch, Kim's), as well as a full roster of DJs curated by Red Bull Music Academy. Plus the general Smorgasburg insanity. It goes till 6 PM and is FREE.
UK band Stornoway are doing a musical pub crawl today with two stops each in Manhattan and Williamsburg. It's free.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
If you haven't seen it yet, check out the latest Daft Punk "collaborators" video with the guy who served them pizza one time, below.
Captain Murphy's Steven Ellison in FlyLo formation, 2012 (more by Amanda Hatfield)
Daughter @ CMJ 2012 (more by Amanda Hatfield)
today in NYC
* Paris Combo @ Joe's Pub
* Lukas Graham @ S.O.B.'s
* Slavic Soul Party @ Barbes
* The English Beat @ City Winery
* Yngwie Malmsteen @ Irving Plaza
* Marika Hughes & Friends @ Barbes
* Daughter, Wilsen @ Bowery Ballroom
* Ward White, Josh Joplin @ Mercury Lounge
* Daniel Bachmann, Don Bikoff @ Union Pool
* Josh Rouse, Eleni Mandell @ The Bell House
* Arvid Noe, Ovlov, Flagland @ Death By Audio
* Slum Village, Mick Boogie @ Santos Party House
* Tigga Calore, Kool A.D., Kassa Overall @ Glasslands
* Atlas Genius, Wild Club @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Wet Petals, My America, Weird Womb @ Saint Vitus Bar
* The Teen Age, Mainland, Supercute! @ Mercury Lounge
* John Hodgman and David Rees (DJ Set) @ Union Hall
* Brazos, ARMS, The Relatives, Cooper Formant @ Cameo Gallery
* Ava Luna, Modern Rivals, The Ugly Club, Vensaire @ Brooklyn Bowl
* The Rudy Stoned Band, No Kill, Deaf Echo, Octo Puce @ Muchmore's
* Cyro Baptista & Banquet Of The Spirits, Jorge Continentino @ The Stone
* The Fleeting Ends, Alicia Witt, Bill Popp & The Tapes @ The Living Room
* Les Sans Culottes, Bradley Dean & The Terminals, Los Jamones @ Cake Shop
* The Guggenheim Grotto, Christina Courtin, Michael Daves @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Oberhofer , LODRO, Cowboy Indian Bear, Paint, Dirty River, Night Vision @ Pianos
* Stereo Crowd, Hermajesty, Of The Opera, Jean Fight, Jeremy Current @ Bowery Electric
* Erykah Badu (playing as DJ Low Down Loretta Brown), The Underachievers, Captain Murphy, Teebs, Azizi Gibson, PBDY @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
Flying Lotus makes his NYC debut as Captain Murphy tonight at Music Hall of Williamsburg as part of the month-long Red Bull Music Academy residency here in the city. The MHOW show also has Erykah Badu DJing as Low Down Loretta Brown, plus performances from The Underachievers, Teebs, Azizi Gibson, and PBDY. Sold out.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Empire of the Sun have released the video for their new single, "Alive," from their forthcoming album Ice on the Dune. Like most of their videos it's slightly over the top. You can watch it below.
Kelis, who has always been one of the more adventurous artists in popular R&B, is set to release her next album, FOOD, this September. The album was produced by TV on the Radio's Dave Sitek and it will come out on his Federal Prism label. The first single, "Jerk Ribs" (which surfaced a few days ago, but was mislabeled as "Call on Me") sees Kelis soaring over a clattering beat and some anthemic horns, and it's one of her strongest singles in years. You can stream/download it below. - Andrew
The next in Daft Punk's "Collaborators Series" videos is up and this time it's Animal Collective's Panda Bear. While we don't get to hear any of the Random Access Memories track he sang on (just more "Get Lucky"), he does get into how it happened and what it was like to work with them. Check it out below.
Daft Punk's Random Access Memories is out May 21.
Anthrax at Wellmont Theater in 2012 (more by Greg Cristman)
today in NYC
* Asssscat 3000 @ UCB
* Jamie Saft @ The Stone
* Furthur @ Capitol Theatre
* Kingston Yard @ The Stone
* Junior Brown, Sturgill Simpson @ City Winery
* Dead Milkmen, The Brooklyn What @ Bowery Ballroom
* Gracie & Rachel, Money and King, Luray @ Cameo Gallery
* Anthrax, Exodus, Municipal Waste, Holy Grail @ Irving Plaza
* Brother Reverend, Reputante, Divining, No Kill @ Glasslands
* Raven, A Sound of Thunder, Holy Grail, Brohammer @ Saint Vitus
* Big Neck Police, Bluffing, The Gradients, Large Lady @ Silent Barn
* Colleen Green, Habibi, Pop Zeus, Juniper Rising @ Death By Audio
* The Nowadays, Tommy Kodak & The Loaders, Viking @ Cake Shop
* Hannibal Buress, Neal Brennan, Todd Barry, Calez @ Knitting Factory
* Dusty Brown, Life In A Blender, Sarah Donner @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Sadat X, Grand Puba (of Brand Nubian), ArtiFacts, DITC Crew @ S.O.B.'s
* Aspects of War, Bad Noids, Violent Reaction, Slugz, Anasazi @ Saint Vitus
* Vulture Shit, Clean Girls, Old Monk, Low Fat Getting High @ Bowery Electric
* Drowners, Summer People, The Can't Tells, Rewards @ Brooklyn Bowl (DJ)
* O'Death, Big Wilson River, Nude Dudes, Thomas Wesley Stern @ Mexicali Live
* The BlkHands, Skyzoo, Skyway, Ragnarok, Doc Casion @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Crazy Spirit, Green Beret, Hound of Hate, Extoplasm, Altered Boys, Nomad @ 285 Kent
* After The Burials, Within The Ruins, The Contortionist, Glass Cloud, City in The Sea @ Santos Party House
* En Nihil, The [law-rah] Collective, Iron Forest, A Murder of Angels, Kama Rupa, Lussuria, Jane Vixen (DJ), Theologian Prime (DJ) @ Public Assembly
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Hope everyone had a great Record Store Day yesterday. As always, many of the previously unreleased tracks that came out yesterday have wound up on the internet. Check out streams of MGMT's new single, "Alien Days," Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds' Push the Sky Away b-side, "Animal X," Chelsea Wolfe's "Fight Like Gods" from her split with King Dude, Nicolas Jaar's remix of Grizzly Bear's "Sleeping Ute," and the video for Garbage and Screaming Females' Patti Smith cover below.
As mentioned, Pharrell was promising something "extra special" for his House of Vans show on Friday (4/19), and though Daft Punk didn't show up, he did play his new collaborative single with the duo, "Get Lucky." Three times. Check out a video of that below (via CoS).
As you know, Daft Punk just dropped their new single, "Get Lucky," which features Pharrell and Nile Rodgers. If you've somehow managed to not hear the song yet, you can stream it below.
"The concert is going to be electric. I'm going to give the crowd something they're never going to forget. There is this song that we just dropped, so you may see something extra special."Hmmm.
by Andrew Sacher
Details on the new Daft Punk album, Random Access Memories, have been slowing rolling out. After teasing it with a number of ads and interview videos, and finally revealing the tracklist, Daft Punk have released the first single from the album, "Get Lucky." It features Nile Rodgers and some soulful vocals from Pharrell over disco-y rhythms reminiscent of the Homework/Discovery days. You can download it on iTunes and check out a stream of the track below...
The slow drip of info about the new Daft Punk album, Random Access Memories, is finally turning more into a trickle. After teasing with snippets of songs in ads during Saturday Night Live, video interviews with some of the album's collaborators, and the track lengths of the songs on the album, the French duo finally have revealed the LP's tracklist. They did so via a Vine and it seems to match up with the rumored collaborators tracklist we posted before. Both are below.
The above image comes from Saint Laurent Paris' website which is currently showing off some of Daft Punk's new stage outfits. Meanwhile, Rolling Stone has published a bit of their upcoming feature story on the duo:
"Electronic music right now is in its comfort zone and it's not moving one inch," Thomas [Bangalter] says. "That's not what artists are supposed to do." He adds that the genre is suffering "an identity crisis: You hear a song, whose track is it? There's no signature. Skrillex has been successful because he has a recognizable sound: You hear a dubstep song, even if it's not him, you think it's him."While you wait for the album's May 21 release date, YouTube is rife with homemade versions of first single "Get Lucky" (featuring Nile Rodgers and Pharrell Williams) which have been cobbled together from the SNL ads and Collaborators videos. You can stream one of the better ones we've heard below.
Miguel on 'SNL' / Daft Punk w/ Pharrell & Nile Rogers
Another new SNL, another new Daft Punk commercial. This one -- a slightly shorter version of the one shown to Coachella audiences -- gives us the first substantial taste of Random Access Memories' "Get Lucky," that's been teased in previous ads, and features both Pharrel Williams and and some chic guitarwork from Nile Rodgers, not to mention the men/robots themselves. This is, we assume, a snippet of the "Get Lucky" video? You can watch it below.
Meanwhile, Daft Punk have released the third in their "Collaborators" series of promotional videos with the folks who worked on Random Access Memories. This one is with Nile Rodgers who very humbly talks about his contribution to dance music over the years and you can watch that below too.
Meanwhile, on the actual show (4/13), Miguel performed his Grammy-winning hit "Adorn" and then a rocked-out version of "How Many Drinks," with that magnetism (that we saw at our BV CMJ day party last year) on full display. The next new SNL is May 4 with Of Monsters and Men performing, while Zach Galifianakis hosts. Miguel videos from last night are below.
Daft Punk are making a comeback this year with Random Access Memories (due out 5/21 via Columbia imprint Daft Life Limited), their first album since 2005's Human After All. They haven't revealed any full tracks from it yet, but from those two 15 second clips, we basically already know that we love it. Unfortunately, we New Yorkers never get a chance to see them. All they seem to do these days is pop up at Phoenix shows (but not last Friday's show), and then that secret show at 285 Kent turned out to be an April Fool's joke. Who knew?!
Luckily, we will get a chance to see the eight piece Daft Punk Tribute Band, imported from Toronto, who play NYC on July 3 at Highline Ballroom. What's more, we even know what time they go on (10 PM). Reportledly, these guys "have been melting faces and liquifying dancefloors with sold out shows at the most prestigious clubs and concert halls across Canada" since 2009. We can't wait to get our faces melted, Canadian style, in NYC. Tickets for that show are on sale now.
In terms of the real Daft Punk, the rumored tracklist of their new album features appearances by Julian Casablanacas, Giorgio Moroder, Pharrell, DJ Falcon, Todd "The God" Edwards (who sang on Discovery), and Paul Jackson Jr. (who played guitar for Michael Jackson), in addition to previously announced guests, Nile Rodgers, Paul Williams, and Panda Bear.
Like Giorgio Moroder just did, Todd Edwards also discussed the new album in a video interview, which you can watch, along with a live video and check out the full rumored collaborators list, below.
Purling Hiss @ Bowery Ballroom, 2011 (more by Toby Tenenbaum)
today in NYC
* Lady @ Joe's Pub
* Evergreen @ BAM
* C2C @ Irving Plaza
* Cage Match NYC @ UCB
* Gad Elmaleh @ City Winery
* Rachelle Garniez @ Barbes
* Rewards (DJ) @ Ace Hotel
* Jan Bell & The Maybelles @ Barbes
* Matt Shipp and Rob Brown @ The Stone
* Fol Chen, Valleys, Softspot @ Glasslands
* Frightened Rabbit, Wintersleep @ Terminal 5
* Soldisco, Nick Hook, Vails, Alex English @ WIP
* Clint Mansell @ Church of St. Paul The Apostle
* Matt Shipp and Steve Dalachinsky @ The Stone
* Meat Puppets, The World Takes @ Mercury Lounge
* Juan Maclean, Tim Sweeney, Dan Wender @ Output
* Purling Hiss, SpacinŐ, Axis:sovA, mancontrol @ 285 Kent
* Carolina Chocolate Drops, Bombadill @ Bowery Ballroom
* See Through, Reputante, The Midnight Hollow @ Union Pool
* Jaill, Wild Yaks, Las Rosas, Pop Zeus @ The Knitting Factory
* Zebu, The Great Valley, Omnivore, Big French @ Shea Stadium
* Reverend Horton Heat, Continental @ Rocks Off Concert Cruises
* Slingshot Dakota, The Marine Electric, Koji, Cutters @ Muchmore's
* Phil Andrews and Richard Semegram (covering Beck) @ Silent Barn
* Ice Cream, Animal Tropical, The Roulettes, ClaireŐs Diary @ Big Snow
* Ocrilim (Mick Barr or Orthrelm), Psalm Zero, Geryon @ Bowery Electric
* Robin Zander (of Cheap Trick), Randy Jackson (of Zebra) @ B.B. King's
* Frances Cone, Yokel & the Heavyweights, Such Hounds @ Cameo Gallery
* Alex Metric (DJ Set), Goldroom, Little Daylight, Lovelife @ Santos Party House
* The Goddamn Gallows, American Speedway, Tombstone Brawlers @ Maxwell's
* 'Bananazzz' screening, Nuclear Santa Claust, 3Jane, Lilith Vector @ Death By Audio
* Andrea Tomasi, Jason Anderson, John Craigie & Leigh Jones @ Pete's Candy Store
* Wilsen, Jesse Elliot, The Hollows, Alexandra Stewart, You Won't @ Rockwood Music Hall
* People's Champs, The Shoe Ins, Lips, Hungry Hands, Baby Boy, Silas Fermoy, Afeefa & The Boy @ Pianos
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Ever wonder what Weird Al and Huey Lewis thought of Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho or its subsequent film adaptation starring Christian Bale? Find out in a video you can watch below.
In conjunction with the release of their new album, Random Access Memories, Daft Punk are releasing a series of web videos talking with their collaborators on the record. First up: electro pioneer Giorgio Moroder, whose single "I Feel Love" with Donna Summer is an electronic dance music touchstone. He'll be in NYC next month DJing as part of Red Bull Music Academy. Meanwhile, watch the video below.
Here's some April 1 news you may have missed....
Amanda Palmer at T5, NYE 2012 (more by Amanda Hatfield)
Music biz insider Bob Lefsetz reports today that Warner Brothers will fund all new albums on the label via Kickstarter:
Perennially third, the smallest of the three majors saw a need to shake it up, to move ahead of Sony and Universal in the game of music production. Lucian Grainge bought EMI, believing it was all about market share, economies of scale...but that's positively old school. Today you drill down into the niches, you solidify your relationship with your fan base, you grow from the bottom up, not the top down.The new deal, which includes fan-funded fave Amanda Palmer, ties in Facebook, Amazon Prime and Google.
Yes, Stephen Cooper has just thrown a curve ball so wide, Doug Morris won't even see it.
Believing it's about radio and retail, septuagenarian Morris is putting himself out to his own pasture. Didn't he get the memo? Newspapers are dying, young people ignore mainstream media, to try to close young people via old media is like insisting baby boomers give up their Lipitor. Raw stupidity. Then again, the music business was always about muscle.
But now it's about data.
Speaking of, Google Labs have just released the beta of Google Nose, with an Aromabase of over 15 million "scentibytes."
Boards of Canada
Scottish electronic shoegazers Boards of Canada are finally following up 2005's The Campfire Headphase with a new double album, Quetzalcoatl, reports FACT.
In similar news, legendary metal outfit ISIS have reformed, reports Nefarious Realm. The crew are launching a nationwide tour with Pelican, Converge and Cave In. In what is surely a new world record, they'll be playing all 26 dates on the same day (that would be today).
The White Stripes Mk2
On a related reformation note, Australian site Beat has this exclusive: Jack White is getting The White Stripes back together, though now with actress Tilda Swinton on drums. It may seem like an unexpected choice, but anyone whose seen her 1992 film, Orlando, knows that Swinton can play anything. The White Stripes new album, Evangelical Trout, is due later this year.
What else? A mere two weeks after SXSW 2013, popular Austin venue Mohawk announces, much like Emo's and Antones, it's moving from it's iconic Red River locale.
In in other sad news, nightlife socialite and white jeans wearer Andrew WK is giving up his signature activity. He tweeted earlier today, "As of today, I've officially decided to never party again."
But in happier partying news, Seth Rogen and James Franco are making a sequel to stone comedy Pineapple Express and you can watch the trailer below.
And finally, here's news we've all been waiting for. My Social List has the scoop that Daft Punk's return to the live stage will happen at Williamsburg DIY space 285 Kent on May 12. No, we don't know what time they're on.
Daft Punk have been teasing a new album for a while now, and they've finally given almost all the details. It's called Random Access Memories and is out on May 21 via Columbia imprint Daft Life Limited. The only things that haven't been revealed are track titles, but we do know that there are thirteen confirmed songs. You can pre-order the album digitally on iTunes or physically on RandomAccessMemories.com. That's the album art above. Check out another new 15 second SNL ad for the album below.
by Bill Pearis
For those who were watching live or don't DVR fast-forward through commercials, there was a 15-second Daft Punk ad last night during an otherwise lackluster episode of Saturday Night Live. It was just the band's logo with the two robot masks (the ones currently on the band's nomepage) coming together, with a bit of music. But seems like things are in the works! Watch it below.
by Bill Pearis
There have been rumors flying that Daft Punk would release a new album in 2013 and it's looking that that's going to happen. Both Billboard and The Hollywood Reporter are confirming the the French electro duo have signed with Columbia Records. The Guardian, meanwhile, reports that the new album will be out in May. The album reportedly features guest appearances from Nile Rodgers, Paul Williams (!), Animal Collective's Panda Bear and more.
Not counting 2010's TRON: LEGACY soundtrack, Daft Punk's last album was 2005's underwhelming Human After All. The band last played NYC at Coney Island in 2007 but did make an appearance at Phoenix's Madison Square Garden show in 2010.
Little Boots at Webster Hall - 12/14/12 (via)
Little Boots came to NYC for a Girls & Boys party at Webster Hall last month/year (pictured above) and
she'll return to the venue on January 25 for another Girls & Boys party but this one is a tribute to Daft Punk and Tron-themed party. It takes place in all there rooms of Webster Hall that feature Doorly, Sean Sharp, Jess Marquis, Matty Glitterati, and more. Doors are at 10PM and admission is 19+. Tickets (including VIP and party packages) are on sale now. Show flyer below.
UPDATE: Webster Hall's website had Little Boots on the event page for the Daft Punk tribute party, but it was a mistake. She's currently on vacation. Come back soon, Little Boots!
Speaking of Daft Punk, Chic member and major pop producer Nile Rodgers, who is working with the duo on their new album, recently posted a blog post which sounds pretty promising that Daft Punk will have their new album out in 2013 (via NME):
The next time I set foot in Japan, my collaboration with Daft Punk would have started to hit people's eardrums, as well as a number of songs I'm working on over the next few months with a select group of artists, and of course finally, my lost CHIC and solo material. No matter how it ends, 2013 Won't Be Boring!Bestival organizer Rob da Bank says not to expect them to tour though.
Flyer for the Daft Punk party below...
photos by Tim Griffin; words by Andrew Sacher
A$AP Rocky @ Fun Fun Fun Fest - 11/03/2012
If A$AP Rocky has anything going for him besides a few internet rap hits and some memorable moments dropping in on his friends' shows, it's that he's already got some pretty far out stories to tell. He recently revealed an interview with Hard Knock TV that he smoked weed with Daft Punk on his tour bus (hopefully in Colorado). Now he just needs to get them to play at his house!
He also declared himself a factor in evolving society's views on homosexuality. "I kicked down the door for kids that's my age, older and younger, to be able to wear Jeremy Scott sneakers, rips in their jeans and not feel gay," Rocky says. Because of him, kids can wear whatever they want and not have to worry about being mistaken for being gay. Yeah, that doesn't sound homophobic at all (it's a start though) (watch the whole thing in the video below - he means well).
In 2013, he'll be able to add another epic story to his resumé, when he heads out on tour with Rihanna. That tour comes to NYC for the previously discussed show at Barclays Center on May 4, which is sold out, and also hits the same venue one day later (5/5), which tickets are on sale for now. Hopefully Rocky will have his new album, LongLiveA$AP, out by then which he has kept delaying. He's now hoping to get it out during the first quarter of 2013.
As mentioned, you can also catch A$AP Mob with A-Trak at Best Buy Theater on November 29 and A$AP Twelvy at Highline Ballroom on November 22.
A$AP Rocky also just played Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin this past weekend (as did Run DMC). You can check out more pictures from his set (like the one above), the video of that Hard Knock TV interview, and a list of all upcoming tour dates, below....
Screaming Females at La Zona Rosa, 10/10/2012 (more by Tim Griffin)
Our pals at Mercy, who are sponsoring the BrooklynVegan CMJ parties this year, are giving away two CMJ badges, exclusive access to CMJ shows, a week's worth of Mercy hangover prevention beverage and a chance to be Mercy's CMJ Reporter. To enter, visit their Facebook.
Off!, who are heading out on tour with the Spits soon, have a new video for "Wrong" featuring Jack Black. Check out the clip below... sweet Sonny Chiba reference in there guys.
UPDATE: Did you watch the debate tonight? Marlarkey!
Listen to Jarvis Cocker rate new records by Adele, Flying Lotus and more on BBC 6Music's "Roundtable" which is live from the man's hometown of Sheffield, England.
Coliseum (with new bassist) have entered the studio with J. Robbins to begin tracking. They are keeping detailed reports of their progress on Facebook.
Swedes Peter Bjorn and John wrote a song, "I Wish I Was a Spy," for Yo Gabba Gabba! that you can check out over at NPR. It's on the new volume of the Music Is Awesome! series which also features tracks from Metric, Belle & Sebastian, CSS, Cut Copy, The Roots, The Bird And The Bee and more.
Lots more stuff below...
Daft Punk made a 15 minute Junior Kimbrough remix to soundtrack a Saint Laurent fashion show. Listen below:
by Andrew Sacher
Teengirl Fantasy's Tracer artwork
Brooklyn duo Teengirl Fantasy have been having a pretty solid year. Back in January, they inked a deal with R&S Records (James Blake, Lone) who are putting out their killer new single, "Motif," on vinyl on June 25 and digitally on July 9. That single comes with the b-side "Eternal" and an Actress remix of "Motif." Check out the video for "Motif" below.
Now, the duo have just announced the release of their sophomore LP, Tracer, which will be out on August 21 via R&S/True Panther. They've roped in some pretty impressive guests for the album, including Panda Bear, Romanthony (aka the voice of Daft Punk's "One More Time"), Laurel Halo, and Kelela. The album won't include "Motif," but it will include "Eternal." The full tracklist is below along with a teaser video and that's the cover art above.
You can catch Teengirl Fantasy at a local show this weekend when they open for fellow Brooklynites/True Panther labelmates Lemonade at the previously discussed Music Hall of Williamsburg show on Saturday (6/2), which also serves as the NYC debut for Elite Gymnastics. Tickets for that show are still available. All TF dates are listed below.
Speaking of Laurel Halo, she put out her own (excellent) new album, Quarantine, in Europe this week and it will see a US release next week. You can stream that album in full below.
Videos, streams, tracklist and a list of all Teengirl Fantasy dates below...
Following a successful collaboration with Mika in 2010, soft drink giant Coca-Cola partners up with another major act in 2011 as they introduce the Daft Punk x Coca-Cola "Club Coke". Produced in two distinctive colorways, mimicking the helmets worn by the French duo, the gold and silver bottles will see a limited production run beginning in March 2011. In addition to the general release at clubs, the bottles will be packaged in a collector's box as a set, made available in exclusively through colette in Paris. Further information on this collaboration will become available through Daftcoke.com, which goes live in a few months.(thx Hiro!)
photos by Amanda Hatfield
hipsters & Die Antwoord in the Village Halloween Parade
"President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama opened up the White House doors to the local children and military families to the North Portico of the White House [on Halloween]. Always willing to open the doors to the White House the first family had some trick or treaters getting their candy game on track.Today, election day, Obama is busy supporting candidates. Go out and vote, even you undead hipsters! (The Rent is Too Damn High!)
Michelle Obama didn't dress up this year, last year she went as a p*ssy cat, this year she kept it simple and rocked an orange sweater with black trousers. The President was on hand taking in all the festivities cheering on the little trick or treaters and hugging it out with Abraham Lincoln." [Peace FM]
Short but sweet, and below the picture of the limited edition poster...
Dirty Projectors and Wavves also opened the show (Wavves's first of two shows for the evening). The second was at Purevolume House with Matthew Dear and Two Door Cinema Club who headline Webster Hall tonight (10/21).
The MSG show was announced way before CMJ, but then became a CMJ show when CMJ announced the final CMJ lineup, though reportedly only very few badges were let in, and those badge tickets went to people who showed up to pick the tickets up at CMJ headquarters early that morning. Those who showed up early to the large venue thinking they'd get in with their badge, were out of luck.
(note from BBG: Quick question- can anyone confirm it wasn't a janitor underneath those robot suits? I smell an MF Doom-style conspiracy?)
A bit more about the show HERE. More pictures, the Phoenix set list (sans encore), and some video of the Daft Punk madness is below.