Entries tagged with: Dan Friel
photos by Chris La Putt
DOWNLOAD: Black Moth Super Rainbow - Born On A Day The Sun Didn't Rise (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Black Moth Super Rainbow - Twin of Myself (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Black Moth Super Rainbow - Twin of Myself (Go! Team remix) (MP3)
"Eating Us is the fourth album by Pennsylvania based band Black Moth Super Rainbow released on May 26, 2009 on the CD format. With a running time of just under 36 minutes, it is the shortest full-length release by the band to date. The album was released in a limited-edition "hairy" version, which includes synthetic hair inside the CD's inner sleeve, and also in a regular "super jewel" casing. The "hairy" version was sold-out before the album was even released due to pre-orders." [Wiki]Both songs available for download above are from that new album. A triple bill of Black Moth Super Rainbow (here from Pittsburgh), Blank Dogs, and Dan Friel (of Parts and Labor) played the weekly free show at South Street Seaport in Manhattan on Friday night (7/24). More pictures from the show, and more BMSR tour dates, below...
Here We Go Magic @ MHOW in June (more by Tim Griffin)
We are free shows in New York City, down on Pier 17 at the South Street Seaport.Here We Go Magic and Bachelorette kick off the free NYC concert series tonight (7/3). Full, updated summer schedule, below...
No reservations or tickets of any kind are necessary.
All our shows start at 6pm with guest DJ's or sometimes early band sets if there's more than 2 bands on the bill - more value for you the free concert goer!
There are several parking lots within 1-2 block distance from the pier but we encourage you to take public transportation - it costs less and is better for the environment! [Seaport Music Festival]
Dan Friel @ Cake Shop on New Years Eve (more by Lori Baily)
tonight in NYC
* Jessica 6 @ Coco 66
* Sonic Youth listening party
* Hospitality @ Death By Audio
* Japanese Motors, Crocodiles @ Studio B
* Rooftop Film w/ Acrylics @ Open Road Rooftop
* KaiserCartel, Mascott, Cat Martino @ 92YTribeca
* Lady Circus and FUCT in Cirque du Quoi @ House of Yes
* Allen Toussaint's The Bright Mississippi Band @ Village Vanguard
* Ben Lee, Low vs. Diamond, Dawes @ Bowery Ballroom
* Arboretum, D. Charles Speer, TK Webb @ Studio at Webster Hall
* The Black Swans, Essie Jain, Tatters and Rags @ Bruar Falls
* Wolves in the Throne Room, A Storm of Light, Thrones @ Europa
* Little Girls, Sisters & Golden Triangle @ Littlefield
* Bill Nace, Grey Gersten/G. Lucas Crane/Ryan Sawyer @ The Stone
* Tally Hall, Malbec, The Silent Years, Lightning Love @ Mercury Lounge
* Dan Friel, Talk Normal, Starring and Beautiful Weekend @ Dead Herring
* Hospitality, Stephen Steinbrink, Hell Kite, Little Gold @ Death By Audio
* Turbo Fruits, Jeff: The Brotherhood, Love-Struck, Foster Care @ Cake Shop
* Morrissey's 50th Bday: Kaki King, Bodega Girls, The Stationary Set @ Glasslands
* Holy Fuck, A Place to Bury Strangers, The Morning After Girls @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Undiscovered Islands: So Percussion, Sarah Kirkland Snider's "Penelope" with Signal, Rachel Calloway, and Steven Mackey @ Galapagos
Green Day played Good Morning America this morning.
BKLYN YARD opens this weekend.
The Sasquatch Music Festival happens this weekend.
Iron & Wine played a New Order song on Jimmy Fallon the other night. Video below...
Deerhoof's new animated video for "This is God Speaking" below...
here's some new pictures & tour dates with a sort of old interview (that I'd rather post than throw away) (hope you don't mind)....
words by Black Bubblegum, photos by Lori Baily
Dan Friel @ Cake Shop, NYC - New Years Eve (Dec 31, 2008)
ATP NY (2008) (think all the way back to September for a second) was littered with luminaries. We've previously documented our run-ins with some of the great performers, but we also ran into a few artists who were just there for the good time. One of those artists was Dan Friel.
Friel is probably best known for his participation in Parts & Labor, the Brooklyn experimental noise pop/rock band he formed in 2002 with BJ Warshaw (also of Shooting Spires). Over the years, Parts & Labor have released three LPs and multiple seven-inches, contributed to many a compilation, and even dropped a split LP with Tyondai Braxton (Battles). All along, Dan Friel has been working on solo material... dropping EPs and a cassette leading up to 2008's triumphant Ghost Town, out now on Important.
We cornered Dan Friel at ATP (literally... he could NOT escape) for a couple minutes to discuss the festival and his plans for the next few months.
So Dan, what were some of the motivating factors for you coming to ATP? What are some of the bands you really wanted to check out?
Dan Friel: Today I'm pretty excited about seeing Polvo. I've been sort of starting to listen to them again, a bunch in the last couple of years which I think a lot of people have, and it will be great to see them play again. I haven't seen Lightning Bolt in a couple of years, so that'll be pretty cool. I've never seen Low, and that's kind of a big deal because I like their records quite a bit. And Fuck Buttons and Alexander Tucker are both friends and amazing people. So I'm excited to check that out.
photos by Zach Dilgard, words by Black Bubblegum
British experimentalist Alexander Tucker kicked off ATP day two (9/20) with looping pedals and acoustic instruments (cello, guitar). A very interesting artist to start my day with and worth further investigation.
Growing and their effects-laden noise drones sounded great on stage two, though sometimes I find it hard to watch a knob-twiddling live show.
Probably my biggest surprise of the day was The Drones who were urgent, angular, and punky. I was familiar with some of their work through a certain Vegan pal of mine. I will be familiar with more and won't miss them next time they make it to NYC (Philly, Richmond & DC have the chance over the next three days).
photos by Chris La Putt
For a guy just sitting there pressing buttons on his home-made lap-based contraption, Dan Friel manages to put on a super satisfying show. His music speaks for itself, and if you have a good view, you can try and figure out what he's doing. Tonight (9/16) he's at Cake Shop in NYC. Recently he played the side stage at the East Village Radio Fest by the South Street Seaport. More pictures from that and more dates below...
DOWNLOAD: Vivian Girls - Where Do You Run To (MP3)
Bon Iver @ MHOW (more by Ryan Muir)
Bowerbirds @ MHOW (more by Ryan Muir)
today in NYC
* Old 97's @ Webster Hall
* Dan Friel @ Dead Herring
* Yellow Fever @ Cake Shop
* Booka Shade @ Irving Plaza
* The Apples in Stereo @ Blend
* The War on Drugs @ Union Pool
* Brother Ali & The Rub @ The Seaport
* Wolf Parade & Wintersleep @ Terminal 5
* Metronomy & special guest @ Union Hall (late)
* We are Scientists & Oxford Collapse @ Bowery Ballroom
* Aimee Mann & The Submarines @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Vivian Girls, Crystal Stilts & Cause Co-Motion @ Silent Barn
* RX Bandits, Portugal the Man & Maps and Atlases @ Highline Ballroom
* Eli "Paperboy" Reed & the True Loves & the Teenage Prayers @ Union Hall (early)
Check out our interview with Brother Ali.
Dead Herring is @ 141 S. 5th St in Williamsburg (JMZ to Marcy or L to Bedford). Dan Friel show starts at 8pm. 5 bucks. all ages. : BARR/SHEA/DAHL TRIO, LEADERS, NECKING & OMEGA JARDEN also on the bill.
by Black Bubblegum
DOWNLOAD: Dan Friel - "Ghost Town" (MP3 clip)
DOWNLOAD: Dan Friel - "Buzzards" (MP3 clip)
DOWNLOAD: Dan Friel - "Appliances Of Bremen" (MP3 clip)
DOWNLOAD: Dan Friel - "Desert Song" (MP3 clip)
DOWNLOAD: Dan Friel - "Horse Heaven" (MP3 clip)
Dan Friel of Parts & Labor @ 2008 Siren Fest (more by Leia Jospe)
Marc Ribot's Ceramic Dog recently dropped their new record Party Intellectuals on PI Recordings (pick it up here) and the band are celebrating with a Record Release Party at Knitting Factory in NYC this Friday July 25th. Tickets are still available.
The party will feature a set from a "special guest", namely Dan Friel of the ever-so-busy Parts & Labor. Dan Friel has been dropping solo EPs since before his time with Parts & Labor, but Ghost Town (released in May via Important Records) marks his first full-fledged LP. It's glitchy, noisy, instrumental electronic pop but most of all, its fun. The label has made 5 clips of the 8 tracks on Ghost Town available for download. Check em out above, and if ya dig, pick up the record at Important Records.
For the uninitiated, Marc Ribot's Ceramic Dog contains one Marc Ribot, who has worked some of the most important avant garde artists of the last quarter century including John Zorn, Tom Waits, Mike Patton, and Allen Ginsburg. He has done tons of work with other artists as well including multiple Elvis Costello records and recently contributed to Attack & Release by The Black Keys as well as the Mercury Award-nominated Robert Plant / Alison Krauss record.
All tour dates for everyone below...