Entries tagged with: Darkstar
Kraftwerk @ MoMA, 2012 (more by )
As mentioned, Moogest 2014 happens April 23 - 27 in Ashville, NC. The festival has just announced its initial line-up which includes: Kraftwerk 3D (playing three concerts), Chic featuring Nile Rodgers, Giorgio Moroder, Laurie Anderson, Dan Deacon, Darkstar, Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks, Adult, Le1f, Shigeto, Wolf Eyes, Les Sins (Chaz Bundick of Toro y Moi), and more. The full list of initial artists is below, with more than 70 more to be announced. There are showcases being put on by the likes of DFA, Fool's Gold, Ghostly Intl, Warp and more.
Laurie Anderson and Giorgio Moroder are also part of Moogfest's previously announced daytime talks and seminars program, that also includes such artists as film composer Cliff Martinez (Drive), Emerson Lake & Palmer keyboardist Keith Emerson, Claire Evans from YACHT, and synthesizer innovators like Roger Linn and Tom Oberheim.
Tickets are on sale now. 2014 Moogfest initial performer list and poster below...
Sharon Van Etten @ Bowery Ballroom, 2012 (more by Amanda Hatfield)
today in NYC
* Spank @ UCB
* Schoolboy Q @ S.O.B.'s
* Andy Kozar @ The Stone
* Regional De NY @ Barbes
* Dave Nelson @ The Stone
* Questlove @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Mavrothi Kontanis @ Barbes
* Slavic Soul Party @ Joe's Pub
* Ra Ra Riot @ Apple Store Soho
* 24 Hour Party People @ Videology
* Com Truise, Alex English @ WIP
* Gobby, Tezeo, DJ Tony Lowe @ Glasslands
* Mason Jennings, Charlie Mars @ City Winery
* Jonathan Toubin (DJ Set) @ Bowery Ballroom
* Hey Maseilles, Young Buffalo @ Mercury Lounge
* Abigail Washburn: Post-American Girl @ Joe's Pub
* Archipelago, Belle Mare, Ora Cogan @ Silent Barn
* Kate Nash, Supercute! @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Nadastrom, Sabo, DJ Syres, Cosmo Baker @ Output
* The Dear Hunter, Naive Thieves @ Gramercy Theatre
* Plow United, Iron Chic, The Unlovables @ Knitting Factory
* Jonas Reinhardt, Holy Balm, Alice Cohen @ Shea Stadium
* Dichroics, Circle of Buzzards, Dead Stars @ Saint Vitus Bar
* Prince Rupert's Drops, Sky Picnic, Zoned Out @ Union Pool
* Janeane Garofalo, Andrew Schulz @ Eastville Comedy Club
* Jean Grae, Maggie Serota, Aaron Wolfe @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Howling Hex, Young Boys, Lushes Stranges @ Bowery Electric
* Lost Boy?, Young Buffalo, Big Ups, Life Size Maps @ Big Snow
* Saadi, Mamarazzi, Mokaad, DJ Cheif Boima @ Mercury Lounge
* Goonam, Lowdown 30, No Brain, Brown Rice Family @ 285 Kent
* Warm Soda, White Mystery, Hector's Pets, Open Sex @ Cake Shop
* CALLmeKAT, Kendra Morris, Julia Haltigan @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Yellow Dogs, Nightmare Air, Fan-Tan, Dead Stars @ Death By Audio
* Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Sharon Van Etten @ Beacon Theater
* Ben Vida, Tyondai Braxton, Sara Magenheimer @ Issue Project Room
* Bird Courage, Bill Bartholomew, Vudu Sister, Kennedy @ The Rock Shop
* Chuck Ragan, Rocky Votolato, Dave Hause, Jenny Owen Jones @ Irving Plaza
* Stretch Armstrong, DJ Clark Kent, D-Nice, Tony Touch, Rich Medina @ Santos Party House
* Dietrich Strauss, Chris Eldridge, Julian Lage, Loop Grass, Margo Valiante @ Pete's Candy Store
* Premrock, Dan Dillinger, Mad Dukez & Fresh Kils, Willie Green, Relic, B. Durazzo @ Spike Hill
* Prince Rama, Edan, Brian Degraw (of Gang Gang Dance), Eric Copeland (of Black Dice) @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Vampire Weekend, Alan Alda, Cyndi Lauper, David Cross @ Gerald W. Lynch Theater at John Jay College
* Viva Mayday, The Harmonica Lewinskies, The Great American Novel, Morningsiders, The Time is an Ocean @ Pianos
* Ray Mazza and The Gutter Bandits, Fulcrum of the Stars, Dida Pelled, Don DiLego, Roses & Revolutions, Nina Scaria @ The Living Room
* Brother Tiger (DJ Set), Chrome Canyon (DJ Set), Dickpic (Pictureplane and DJ Dog Dick), Psychic Twin, Vensaire, Silent Drape Runners, St. Lenox @ Cameo Gallery
Darkstar would have been touring the US this month and would have hit NYC for a show at Glasslands tonight, but they had to cancel their US shows due to "Visa complication." They're currently working on re-scheduling the dates.
Game of Thrones fans surely already know that the HBO series is back for its third season on Sunday (3/31). But you may not know that there is a traveling exhibition of GoT props, costumes and other stuff from the show in NYC, happening at 3 W. 57th Street (between 5th and 6th Avenue). The exhibit is free and open to the public and runs from today through Sunday. Times are listed here.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Wavves were on The Late Show with David Letterman last night and performed "Demon to Lean On" from their new album, Afraid of Heights. Maybe it's just us but bassist Stephen Pope seems to be channeling Van Halen's Michael Anthony. Check out the video below.
Meanwhile, Django Django appeared on The Tonight Show on Tuesday, performing "Life's a Beach" from their 2012 debut. You can watch that below too.
by Andrew Sacher
UK trio Darkstar made a solid impact with their 2010 debut full length, North, a dubstep-meets-synthpop album that came out on Hyperdub just before that sound really took off. After three years, and finding a new home on Warp Records, they've finally resurfaced with a second album, News From Nowhere, which came out earlier this month (2/5).
A much lighter record than its predecessor, News From Nowhere ditches dubstep in favor of electronic-tinged ambient pop. It's a beautiful sounding record and most of it is heavy on the atmospheres, though there are moments that break the mold, like the Animal Collective-indebted "Amplified Ease." The video for that track and a four-song sampler of the album are below. You can also hear the whole album on Spotify or pick it up on iTunes. That's the artwork above.
Darkstar just wrapped up a European tour this week and they'll be headed to the US for a tour here in March, which hits NYC on March 28 at Glasslands with Gobby and Tezeo. Tickets for that show are on sale now.
All currently known dates are listed below...
Jessie Ware at The Box, Dec. 2012 (more by Amanda Hatfield)
Soundgarden at Irving Plaza, Nov. 2012 (more by Dana (distortion) Yavin)
today in NYC
* Lady Rizo @ Joe's Pub
* Brian Settles @ Barbes
* Mike Daisey @ Joe's Pub
* Soundgarden @ Terminal 5
* MS MR, Gospels @ Mercury Lounge
* The Mandingo Ambassadors @ Barbes
* John Cale @ Brooklyn Academy of Music
* School of Seven Bells @ Dr. Martens Store
* Andrew James, Dub Trio @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Heliotropes, Gang Signs, Blackout @ Union Pool
* Black Prairie, John Wesley Harding @ Union Hall
* John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats @ Studio X
* WIERD w/ La Misma, Black Boot @ Home Sweet Home
* The Airborne Toxic Event, The Chevin @ Webster Hall
* Agusti Fernandez, Joe Morris, Nate Wooley @ The Stone
* Infected Mushroom DJ, The M Machine DJ @ Brooklyn Bowl
* G. Love & Special Sauce, Swear and Shake @ Irving Plaza
* The Trews, The Constant, the Rotaries @ Bowery Electric
* Child Bite, Firecracker Firecracker, The Flag @ Death By Audio
* Vaudeville, KO.DO.NA, Baby Copperhead, Ed Askew Band @ Cake Shop
* Zedd, Jessie Ware, Twenty One Pilots, Robert DeLong @ Highline Ballroom
* HUERCO S., Anthony Naples, Terekke, Bookworms & Steve Summers @ Cameo Gallery
* Mykki Blanco, Boychild, Psychoegyptian, Fatherhood, Dope Body @ Mercury Lounge
* Big Terrific w/ John Mulaney, James Adomian, Jackie Kashian, Kara Klenk @ Cameo
* Wild International, Jamaican Queens, Ludwig Persik, Steel Phantoms @ Glasslands
* A Sunny Day in Glasgow, Friend Roulette, Desert Stars, Relatives, Heidi Harris @ Pianos
* Electroputas, Beverly, Eye Banner, Metal Mountains @ Secret Project Robot
* Arrington de Dionyso, Greg Saunier, C. Spencer Yeh, Ross Chait Myles Eammons Duo, Lea Bertucci @ Silent Barn
* 'Allen Ginsberg's First Blues' w/ Lou Reed, Anne Waldman, Ambrose Bye, CA Conrad, Steven Taylor, Hettie Jones, Arthur's Landing & more @ Housing Works
Tonight's John Cale show at BAM is a tribute to Nico with a number of guests including Kim Gordon, Mark Lanegan, Sharon Van Etten, Magnetic Fields, and more.
Screaming Females are guests tonight on the Chris Gethard Show which airs tonight at 11 PM.
Follow BrooklynVegan on Instagram.
Yo La Tengo's new album, Fade, is out this week and the band appeared last night on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, performing "Ohm" with Fred Armisen on second drums. (He played with them at one of their Hanukkah shows you may remember.) YLT also did "I'll Be Around" as an online exclusive and you can watch both below.
Electronic pop trio Darkstar are releasing their new album, News from Nowhere, on February 5 via Warp, but you can stream the entire thing ahead of its release, below.
New Moods (whose members include a Young Magic member and Gang Gang Dance's engineer) have been busy practicing for their 9pm set at the BV Holiday Party at Music Hall of Williamsburg tonight (12/13) (some tickets will be on sale at the door), but they managed to get this list in just in time for those going (or still thinking of going) (or wondering if they should show up for the opener) (you should!) to get to know them better. Here is a list of the top 10 music things that New Moods loved in/about 2011 (in no particular order)...
Pitchfork Fest Day Three (Sunday, 7/17/11) was the day to go if you were looking to dance. The last day of the fest was pretty heavy on the electronic music with Cut Copy, Toro y Moi, HEALTH, Baths, Darkstar, and for something way chiller, How to Dress Well. The third day provided lo-fi masters Kurt Vile, Ariel Pink, and Deerhunter, and complete opposite ends of the hip hop spectrum with the abrasive and utterly offensive Odd Future and the this-must-be-from-another-planet rap of Shabazz Palaces. Day three was also the one chance to see a metal band (Kylesa).
Sunday was headlined by TV on the Radio. TVOTR, like Fleet Foxes who headlined the day before, have a wildly impressive double bill at Williamsburg Waterfront in September. Theirs is with Broken Social Scene on September 8. Tickets are still available.
Twin Sister played Sunday, and you can catch them for free in McCarren Park this Wednesday night (7/27).
EMA at P4K Fest (more by Dominick Mastrangelo)
Darkstar played their first US show at Pitchfork Festival this past weekend. As mentioned, they'll be sticking around for a bit and will play in NYC tonight (7/18) at Le Poisson Rouge. Phaseone opens the show and tickets are still available. We're also giving away two tickets at our facebook.
TIme Out Chicago caught Darkstar's set at P4K:
On "Gold," the trio's cover of Human League, a distant house thump permeates, rolling alongside hi-hats and anchored by slow piano. This is the energy the crowd needs. People start wading in closer, whistling and fully embracing the music.Speaking of bands who played Pitchfork Festival with upcoming NYC shows, Gatekeeper play on Saturday (7/23) at 285 Kent as part of their tour with Pictureplane and Teengirl Fantasy. The NYC show was originally scheduled for Coco66 but has been moved to 285 Kent. Tickets are still available.
Clicks continue to buzz in rapid succession, and the distorted and crunchy synth found in so much of Hyperdub's output sits prominently in the mix. The lead singer looks like Brendan Fraser in Airheads, but this shouldn't make you take Darkstar any less seriously. Their February signing to Warp is big news for these Brits, a trio we'll hear more of in the future.
P4k2011's first sounds were very yin and yang. As Gatekeeper's light, blissful tunes fluttered over the trees, EMA (Erika M. Anderson) squinted into the hazy afternoon sun and began grinding out some dark, menacing music. [Chicago Sun Times]Check out pictures from Gatekeeper and EMA's sets at Pitchfork Fest HERE.
EMA has two shows on Wednesday (7/20). She'll play an early show at Mercury Lounge with Helado Negro (tickets) and a late show at Glasslands with Talk Normal and Abblehearts (tickets). All tour dates are listed below.
Alamaba rap duo G-Side also played Pitchfork and will play NYC on Saturday (7/23) at Tammany Hall.
Gang Gang Dance conclude their tour with a Rocks Off Concert Cruise Thursday (7/21). Nguzunguzu and Total Freedom aren't on the bill like they were for the much of the tour (Pitchfork after party included) but Nguzunguzu have their own shows this week. Here's some words about GGD's Pitchfork set:
A small man waving a stick of burning sage preceded Gang Gang Dance to the Green stage--a shaman of sorts, he stayed on stage for the entire hour, waving his sage stick or a towel and nodding along to the hyperbolic pastiche of dancehall, new age, tropicalia, electronica and Middle Eastern. It's world music gumbo, but highly danceable and about as "now" as you can get.Gang Gang Dance also DJ on Saturday, 7/23 at Warm Up at PS1 with Syd tha Kyd of Odd Future, who also played Pitchfork Fest.
Lead Lizzie Bougatsos jumped off the stage to greet fans while the band continued banging out its dizzy-making tribal beats. It wasn't long before Bougatos was crowd surfing as fans reverentially passed her around the human sea. "I think when you carried me I became Jesus Christ," she said, returning to the mic. "I'm showered in your love, I'm dripping it. Drippy drippy all the way down!...If you can't act crazy on stage, there's no reason to live." Gang Gang Dance's new album Eye Contact is one of my favorites of the year so far, and live it sounds very different--much less haunted and weird, but damn good all the same. [Riverfront Times]
WU LYUF didn't play the fest, though Pitchfork probably wish they did. They share a bill with DJ Dapwell of Das Racist, who did play Pitchfork, on Saturday (7/23) at Knitting Factory. WU LYF also play the night before (7/22) at Mercury Lounge. Bass Drum of Death are on both bills.
Pitchfork Fest day one pics are HERE. Pics from the following two days are coming soon.
EMA dates and a video of Zola Jesus & EMA doing an unrehearsed cover of 'Crimson & Clover' at a pre-Pitchfork Fest show in Madison, Wisconsin, below...
by Andrew Sacher
UK Dubsteppy synth-pop trio Darkstar (no relation to Grateful Dead cover band Dark Star Orchestra) will be at quite a few festivals this summer. Most of them are in Europe but the band will head over to America in July to play their first ever US show at the Pitchfork Festival. While they're here, Darkstar will stick around to play a NYC show at Le Poisson Rouge on July 18. Tickets are on sale. They were originally scheduled to play the same venue back in March before hitting SXSW but unfortunately never made it over to North America for the shows.
The group released their debut LP North back in October via Hyperdub. As pointed out by FACT, Hyperdub founder Kode9 tweeted, "I would just like to send my love and gratitude to Darkstar and wish them the best possible future on Warp Records," in February. Details on the signing are sparse but it was confirmed.
All tour dates, a video for "Gold" off North, and some recent live videos, below...