Entries tagged with: Deerhoof
Dan Friel @ Cake Shop on New Years Eve (more by Lori Baily)
tonight in NYC
* Jessica 6 @ Coco 66
* Sonic Youth listening party
* Hospitality @ Death By Audio
* Japanese Motors, Crocodiles @ Studio B
* Rooftop Film w/ Acrylics @ Open Road Rooftop
* KaiserCartel, Mascott, Cat Martino @ 92YTribeca
* Lady Circus and FUCT in Cirque du Quoi @ House of Yes
* Allen Toussaint's The Bright Mississippi Band @ Village Vanguard
* Ben Lee, Low vs. Diamond, Dawes @ Bowery Ballroom
* Arboretum, D. Charles Speer, TK Webb @ Studio at Webster Hall
* The Black Swans, Essie Jain, Tatters and Rags @ Bruar Falls
* Wolves in the Throne Room, A Storm of Light, Thrones @ Europa
* Little Girls, Sisters & Golden Triangle @ Littlefield
* Bill Nace, Grey Gersten/G. Lucas Crane/Ryan Sawyer @ The Stone
* Tally Hall, Malbec, The Silent Years, Lightning Love @ Mercury Lounge
* Dan Friel, Talk Normal, Starring and Beautiful Weekend @ Dead Herring
* Hospitality, Stephen Steinbrink, Hell Kite, Little Gold @ Death By Audio
* Turbo Fruits, Jeff: The Brotherhood, Love-Struck, Foster Care @ Cake Shop
* Morrissey's 50th Bday: Kaki King, Bodega Girls, The Stationary Set @ Glasslands
* Holy Fuck, A Place to Bury Strangers, The Morning After Girls @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Undiscovered Islands: So Percussion, Sarah Kirkland Snider's "Penelope" with Signal, Rachel Calloway, and Steven Mackey @ Galapagos
Green Day played Good Morning America this morning.
BKLYN YARD opens this weekend.
The Sasquatch Music Festival happens this weekend.
Iron & Wine played a New Order song on Jimmy Fallon the other night. Video below...
Deerhoof's new animated video for "This is God Speaking" below...
Boss Hog @ Maxwell's (more by Tim Griffin)
Friday will feature a first New York show in a long time by The Jesus Lizard and newly announced, ATP favourites Iron and Wine. They will join the Don't Look Back shows also taking place on Friday: The Feelies performing Crazy Rhythms, New York's finest Suicide performing their first LP, Dirty Three performing Ocean Songs and The Drones performing Wait Long By The River... The evening will be rounded off with the Comedy Stage hosted and curated by the one and only David Cross.This is great. Full (current) lineup (in list format), and more info, below...
Saturday is curated by ATP and is headlined by Animal Collective and an exclusive performance by Panda Bear. Other confirmed acts include the newly announced Boss Hog, Deerhunter and Bridezilla, plus the previously announced Melvins, Black Dice, Dead Meadow, Autolux, EL-P, Akron Family, Antipop Consortium, Atlas Sound and the hotly tipped Sleepy Sun.
Sunday is curated by the outlandish Flaming Lips. Every act that plays will perform an exclusive special show, bespoke for this event. First up are the Boredoms who will continue their BOREDRUM [BOADRUM?] series, performing with 9 drummers on stage. No Age will perform a whole LP by Husker Du including special guest vocalist [um... Bob Mould?]. Deerhoof will perform with special visuals by Martha Colburn. Caribou will perform as Caribou Vibration Ensemble, with a 4 piece horn section, 4 drummers and a choir and guests that include Kieran Hebden (Four Tet/Fridge/Kieran Hebden & Steve Reid), Koushik (Stones Throw Records), John Schmersal (Enon, Brainiac), Kathryn Bint (One Little Plane), Ahmed Gallab (Sinkane) and more. Finally Stardeath and White Dwarfs also join the line-up, with lots more to be announced!
Japanther @ Mess With Texas 2008 (more)
tonight in NYC
* Tribeca Film Festival
* Lissy Trullie @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* The Sounds @ Santos Party House
* "Invisble Man" w/ Michael Reisman @ Greene Space
* Japanther, Ninjasonik & others @ Automotive High School
* Bat For Lashes, Lewis & Clarke @ Bowery Ballroom
* Crystal Stilts, Prince Rupert's Drops, Beachniks @ Cake Shop
* Chinese Stars, Child Abuse, Golden Error, Twin Stumps @ Coco 66
* Bell Orchestre, The Havels, Colin Stetson @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* NinjaSonik, Wild Yaks, SHAPES, The Static Jacks, Jangula @ Crash Mansion
* Peter Bjorn and John, Chairlift, Luke Top @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Jolie Holland, Shahzad Ismaily, Ryan Sawyer, Sam Amidon, Fred Lyenn Jacques @ Issue Project Room
Deerhoof's new Lionel Richie-inspired video for "Numina" below...
Akron/Family played the final song at the Knitting Factory (Josh Haner/The NY Times)
"It was a particularly cacophonous performance of "Auld Lang Syne." But for the Knitting Factory's last night in Manhattan, it was appropriate, as the shaggy avant-folk group Akron/Family led a version of the Scots New Year's hymn on Wednesday night that mutated from a simple singalong to screeching feedback to a meditative one-note drone." [NY TIMES]The NYC club is closed, but that's not the last of "Knitting Factory". In addition to the locations in Hollywood, Boise and Spokane that are still open, Knitting Factory Brooklyn is supposedly opening in March. Knitting Factory is also currently promoting/presenting some shows at The Studio @ Webster Hall - two at least:
- Jan 09 - Bear Hands, Holy Hail, Atarah Valentine & Statehood
- Jan 24 - Oxford Collapse, Suckers & Real Estate
Leonard Street, 3-floor location, RIP.
Browse the archives for memories. Leave yours in the comments.
Video from the Cro-Mags show there on Sunday, below...
DOWNLOAD: THE POLYPHONIC SPREE - HAPPY XMAS (WAR IS OVER) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Death Cab For Cutie - Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: OVER THE RHINE - ALL I EVER GET FOR CHRISTMAS IS BLUE (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: RYAN ADAMS - HEY PARKER, IT'S CHRISTMAS (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: SMASHING PUMPKINS - RUDOLPH THE RED NOSE REINDEER (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: SUFJAN STEVENS - JOY TO THE WORLD (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: LIZ PHAIR - WINTER WONDERLAND (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: EELS - CHRISTMAS IS GOING TO THE DOGS (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: THE WHITE STRIPES - SILENT NIGHT (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: BRIGHT EYES - BLUE CHRISTMAS (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: RILO KILEY - XMAS CAKE (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: ROGUE WAVE - CHRISTMAS (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: MY MORNING JACKET - SANTA CLAUS IS BACK IN TOWN (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: WEEZER - THE CHRISTMAS SONG (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: THE KINKS - FATHER CHRISTMAS (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: MORPHINE - SEXY CHRISTMAS BABY MINE (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: DEERHOOF - THE LITTLE DRUMMER BOY (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: PEARL JAM - SOMEDAY AT CHRISTMAS (MP3)
Thanks to Daytrotter for the above graphic of Akron/Family. Thanks anonymous for pointing out that Akron/Family are playing the show at Knitting Factory on New Years Eve with Deer Tick. Thanks to Akron/Family for pointing out that so are Deerhoof. Now someone add Deerhunter. Loney, Dear will be here in Deercember. More Akron/Deerhoof tour dates below...
Deerhoof @ Fun Fun Fun Fest 2008 (more by Kyle Dean Reinford)
today in NYC
* PTV3 (Psychic TV) @ Europa
* Boris, Psychic Ills @ Maxwell's
* Longwave @ Sound Fix Records
* Nada Surf - Kidrockers @ Living Room
* Conor Oberst & Ben Kweller @ Terminal 5
* No Age & Titus Andronicus @ Santos Party House
* The Mountain Goats & Kaki King @ Webster Hall
* Matteah Baim, Sharon Van Etten & Otto Hauser @ Zebulon
The first issue of Rolling Stone was published today in 1967.
No Age also plays Market Hotel tomorrow.
Fun Fun Fun Fest continues in Austin.
Deerhunter and Deer Tick both played NYC shows last night while Deerhoof was performing at Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin. Video from Deerhoof's set, mainly the drummer, from behind, below...
photos by Kyle Dean Reinford
Fun Fun Fun Fest (a music festival this weekend in Austin) successfully mixes punk, indie, singer-songwriter, hardcore, dance, hip-hop, metal, comedy, new and old. For instance, after blowing my mind to the thrash metal stylings of Municipal Waste, I immediately ran over to catch the end of Bishop Allen's family friendly indie rock set. I like that. One of the bad things, like most festivals, is how much overlaps. On Saturday I had to completely give up seeing The National, Z-Trip, Neil Hamburger, Yacht, and Hawnay Troof. Tonight (Sunday, November 9th), I'll probably have to miss all of Clipse, Tim & Eric, and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, in favor of seeing Bad Brains. I also have to decide between Bouncing Souls and Minus the Bear.
Highlights from day one (yesterday, Saturday) included Dead Milkmen, Municipal Waste (wall of death), Dead Milkmen, Walter Schreifel's solo set (Rival Schools was good too), Dead Milkmen, Killdozer (killed it), Dead Milkmen, Dan Deacon (camp counselor of the year), Dead Milkmen, and Krumbums (punk is not dead). What I caught of Octopus Project, Trail of Dead and Deerhoof was also great. If I say anymore, I'll be late for Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears and/or Kevin Seconds. For now, here are some more pictures from day one...
a happy Eugene Mirman (more by Kyle Dean Reinford)
today in NYC
* NY Comedy Festival
* Today is the Day @ Knitting Factory
* Keren Ann, Avishai Cohen @ Southpaw
* The Heavy, Illinois & Kenan Bell @ Mercury Lounge
* The Decemberists & Loch Lomond @ Terminal 5
* Bad Brains, Killing Time & No Redeeming Social Value @ Irving Plaza
Deerhoof's new video for "Offend Maggie" below...
Les Savy Fav rocking for Barack (more by Kyle Dean Reinford)
today in NYC
* Madonna @ MSG
* Rana @ Mercury Lounge
* Killing Joke @ Irving Plaza
* the Veils @ Union Hall (last minute show)
* Nellie McKay @ Spiegelworld
* Love is All & Times New Viking @ Purchase
* Chin Chin @ Union Pool
* Les Savy Fav, Bear Hands & Phil and the Osophers @ MHOW
* Vampire Weekend, David Crosby, Graham Nash @ an Obama benefit
The Veils played the Bell House with Liam Finn last night. They announced on stage that they would be playing a show tonight at Union Hall, after the comedy.
"The end came on October 12, 1978, when Nancy Spungen was found sprawled on the bathroom floor of their hotel room clad in a black bra and panties. She had bled to death from a single stab wound to the abdomen, later traced to a knife owned by Sid Vicious."
Happy Freethought Day.
Tomorrow is Columbus Day.
Video of Deerhoof performing "Spirit Ditties Of No Tone" on Pancake Mountain below...
Franz Ferdinand @ MHOW (more by Ryan Muir)
today in NYC
* Madonna @ MSG
* free shows at Joe's Pub
* Killing Joke @ Irving Plaza
* Tom Gabel instore
* Ray Lamontagne @ Radio City Music Hall
* Liam Finn, The Veils @ The Bell House
* Crystal Stilts, Chairlift & Violens @ 92stY
* Elephant Six Holiday Surprise Tour @ Knitting Factory
* Vivian Girls, Pink Reason, The Beets @ Silent Barn
* Langhorne Slim, The Heatless Bastards @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Against Me!, Ted Leo & The Pharmacists, Future Of The Left @ Webster Hall
Happy Birthday Artie Lange who is performing on New Years Eve at the Izod Center in NJ.
Duffy recently appeared on SNL. Next week they have Adele. I think tonight is a repeat of the Lil Wayne/Michael Phelps episode.
Check out Deerhoof's video for "Chandelier Searchlight" below...
DOWNLOAD: Deerhoof w/ Zac Pennington of PG - Gut Symmetries (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: No Kids - The Regrettable End (Parenthetical Girls) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: The Dead Science - Young Eucharists (Parenthetical Girls) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Parenthetical Girls - A Song For Ellie Greenwich (MP3)
"To celebrate the release of Entanglements, their first album for Tomlab, Parenthetical Girls asked some of their friends to cover and remix some of the songs from the album - the first two offerings came from labelmates No Kids and fellow NW avant heroes The Dead Science, who covered "This Regrettable End" and "Young Eucharists" respectively. Now Deerhoof have covered the song "Gut Symmetries" and we use the term "covered" loosely because they kept Zac Pennington's original vocals intact.Parenthetical Girls tour dates below...
AUSTIN, TX - Transmission Entertainment is proud to announce this year's Fun Fun Fun Festival line-up. In the tradition of years past, FFF08 once again teams punk rock legends with the hottest indie buzz bands, crowd-pleasing dance and hip-hop acts, and cutting-edge comedians. Fun Fun Fun Fest will be held November 8 and 9 at Waterloo Park in downtown Austin, TX. A two-day pass will be $59.99, available through FrontgateTickets.com. Children under 10 get in free and discounts will be made available to all students.Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, The National, Magnetic Morning, Clipse, Walter Schreifels, Flipper, Bad Brains, ALL, Dead Milkmen, St Vincent, Deerhoof, Trail of Dead, and Dan Deacon are just some of the many bands on the four stage bill....
Deerhoof @ Prospect Park on 7/18/08 (more by Kyle Dean Reinford)
"For me the thing about Obama is I really like the way he talks. In the Demo debates it would be someone talking gibberish, then someone else countering in gibberish, then he'd start in and suddenly every word made sense." [Greg Saunier of Deerhoof]Cute little bludgeoners Deerhoof, fresh off their Prospect Park appearance with newest member Ed Rodriguez (of xbxrx, Iceburn, etc), have announced a US tour with Experimental Dental School including two NYC shows. Those are at Irving Plaza on October 22nd (tickets) and at Spiegeltent on Oct 21st (no tickets yet).
Deerhoof recently released their first "single" from the upcoming Offend Maggie (due Oct 7th) in the form of sheet music. All tour dates below...
Deerhoof in Prospect Park (more by Kyle Dean Reinford)
photos by Kyle Dean Reinford
WNYC, July 18, 2008 - In an interview with host David Garland, Greg Saunier of Deerhoof admitted that he has recently liberally taken ideas from Igor Stravinsky. What more perfect pairing than this Wordless Music Series concert of the forward-thinking indie rock band Deerhoof and a wild re-imagining of Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring by the Metropolis Ensemble? The unlikely playbill was recorded live by WNYC at the Prospect Park Bandshell in Brooklyn, N.Y. [read more & LISTEN to the whole show @ NPR]More pictures from Friday's show below....
From 7:00 PM to 10:00 PMThat is tonight at Central Park Summerstage.
Central Park SummerStage
The influence of "Video Music Box" stretches far and wide, as the show is one of the first and longest running outlets for Hip-Hop since the genre's inception. Twenty-five years after its debut, Ralph McDaniels hosts a celebration concert featuring performances by a who's who of hip-hop icons from the show's history and beyond.
DJ Jazzy Joyce, The Crash Crew, TSki-Valley & Spoonie Gee, Luv Bug Starski, Sugar Hill Gang, Joe Ski Love, Entouch, Special Ed, Dana Dane, Naughty By Nature, DJ Clark Kent, Ralph Ray Dejon, OC, Chubb Rock, Jeru Da Damaja, Milk Dee, DJ Chuck Chillout, Jeff Redd, Red Alert, DJ Kid Capri, Nice N Smooth & Special Guests.
Wordless Music presents the free show happening tonight in Prospect Park. Deerhoof and "Metropolis Ensemble: The Rite: Remixed" are on the Brooklyn bill. You can't do both, but you could go to Summerstage and listen to the Brooklyn show on your radio. It will be live broadcast "on NPR affiliates nationwide and WNYC.org locally (7:30 pm tonight)."
Welcome to Spiegelworld... the world's most beautiful travelling venue.Spiegelworld opens in August this year. The music lineup includes shows by the Dodos, Deerhoof, Tim Fite, Amanda Palmer, Nellie McKay and many more. All of it is below.....
With its opulent decor of mirrors and brocade, the intimate 350-seat spiegeltent is the venue for two of the hottest shows in town, ABSINTHE and DESIR. This year we will bring you a second theatre complete with our late night extravaganza, GAZILLIONAIRE'S LATE NITE LOUNGE, and an incredible line-up of live music performances from around the world like you've never seen them before.
With breathtaking views, sit back with a cocktail at sunset in our Green Fairy Garden, snuggle up in our full-service on-site restaurant, and after the show, dance under the stars with our eclectic DJ sessions, every Tuesday to Sunday night. [Spiegelworld]
Les Savy Fav @ McCarren Pool, July 2006 (Jonny Leather)
Slip n Slide @ McCarren Pool, August 2007 (Brunocerous)
Deerhoof @ McCarren Pool, August 2006 (Paul Bachmann)
Some videos from past pool shows below...
01. Parenthetical Girls - If it's a time for Christmas (2:46)
02. Ween - Silent Night (1:40)
03. Andrew Dost (Anathallo) - Yeah, I Know, It's Christmastime (2:04)
04. The National Splits - Let's Wrap Each Other (2:15)
05. Louis Armstrong - Santa Claus Blues (2:51)
06. Scott Allen (Thunderbirds are Now) - Winters Wonderland (3:50)
07. The Knife - Christmas Reindeer (7:11)
08. Melt Banana - White Christmas (1:42)
09. Thick Pigeon - Jingle Bell Rock (1:30)
10. Steven Garvey - Dreidle, Dreidle, Dreidle (1:11)
11. nullsleep - silent night (2:25)
12. Wild Billy Childish & The Musicians of the British Empire - Santa Claus (3:26)
13. Holly Golightly - Christmas Tree's On Fire (2:54)
14. Deerhoof - xmas tree (2:30)
15. Palace Songs (Will Oldham) - Christmastime in the Mountains (1:30)
16. Woody Guthrie - Hanukkah Dance [Alternate Take] (1:24)
I know it's too early for this, but inspiration hit, so I went with it. Download, support the artists, enjoy, and happy holidays (Thanksgiving or whatever).
DOWNLOAD: Deerhoof - Kidz are so small (MP3)
Kill Rock Stars is holding their CMJ showcase at the Gramercy Theater in NYC on October 17th. Mika Miko, Marnie Stern, The Mary Timony Band and Xiu Xiu are on the bill. Deerhoof is not on the bill, but they are giving away an entire album of MP3s for free (one of those MP3s is above).
Enon, Islands, Octopus Project, Thunderheist, Dengue Fever and Yo! Majesty are all playing the Kork CMJ showcase together at Highline Ballroom on October 18th. Tickets are on sale for that sick bill.
Enon are also playing playing with Love of Diagrams at Knitting Factory in NYC on November 17th. Tickets are also on sale for that. All Enon & Deerhoof tour dates below....