Entries tagged with: Def Leppard
KISS @ Jones Beach, 2010 (more by Matthew Eisman)
Stadium rock powerhouses KISS and Def Leppard are teaming for the '2014 Heroes' tour. (Dave Hill has been alerted.) This double-fisted bill of pure rock hits the NYC area on July 26 at NJ's PNC Bank Arts Center and August 6 at Nikon at Jones Beach. They'll also play Atlantic City's Boardwalk Hall on August 2, Camden, NJ's Susquehanna Bank Center on August 3, and Hartford, CT's Xfinity Theatre on August 10.
This tour is in support of our troups and all military personnel will be given exclusive access to discounted tickets. Tickets go on sale to the general public on Saturday (3/22) at 10 AM local time, with military presale beginning today (3/19) at 10 AM, a Citi Cardmember presale beginning LiveNation presale beginning Thursday (3/20) at 10 AM.
photo by Dale May
You are probably familiar with Dave Hill by now. He's the brains behind the book Tasteful Nudes, which was released earlier this year, he performs locally in NYC a good deal, was one of BV's own Klaus Kinski's favorite local comedians this year, and he reviewed Morrissey's Radio City show for us. Oh yeah, and maybe you read his review of Def Leppard, Poison, and Lita Ford?
Dave just gave us his list of his top ten favorite things of 2012. It includes some shows he saw (like the Def Leppard one), a show he didn't see, and his own book. The whole thing (plus commentary) is a pretty great read, and it's below for your viewing pleasure...
Dave Hill rocking out to Poison
Last night (7/11), I went to see Def Leppard, Poison, and Lita Ford at the Prudential Center, which is in Newark, New Jersey. What happened was my friend Ryan asked me and my friend Dave if we wanted to go to the concert and we were both like "Fuck yeah!" and the next thing I knew, we were totally on a train to New Jersey about to get our asses handed to us by Def Leppard, Poison, and Lita Ford, the bands that were playing the concert.
There were roughly 15,732 people in attendance at the show but I was definitely the most rocking person in attendance and you can basically ask anyone because I pretty much owned that show from the second we got off the train in Newark, at which point we walked briskly to the Prudential Center because we were fucking pumped to rock out and everyone around us was looking at us like "Those guys fucking rule!" We had black rock shirts on and everything. It was fucking sweet.
As it turned out, we were kind of late for Lita Ford so by the time we got down to our sweet seats (which were RIGHT ON THE FUCKING FLOOR, SECTION B, ROW 7 MOTHERFUCKERS!!), Lita Ford was playing her last song and basically her biggest hit ever "Kiss Me Deadly," which was great. At the end of her set, Lita Ford told all of us in attendance how awesome we were and I was just like "Yeah, I know, Lita Ford" cuz duh. Also, it should be noted that I would totally have sexual intercourse with Lita Ford if she is reading this, which I hope she is (NOTE: If you personally know Lita Ford and can send this on to her, please do, because I am a real catch and would treat her like fucking gold).
After Lita Ford finished rocking everybody, Ryan, Dave, and I headed up to the concession area and drank like six or eight beers or something I don't even know. Also, Dave had to take a piss, which was fucked because I was afraid we might miss Poison but everything was fine. After Dave finished taking what turned out to be basically the longest piss of all-time or something, we went back down to our sweet seats and watched Poison. If you like Poison, you would have definitely liked seeing them last night because they basically nailed it as far as being Poison goes. They played all the big rocking hits like "Talk Dirty to Me" and "Unskinny Bop" and all that but then they also brought it down by playing "Every Rose Has Its Thorn", at which point I was practically crying like a fucking baby because, man, the words. I still ended up holding it together in the end but most of the chicks seated around me totally wanted to make out with me because chicks fucking love that sensitive shit.
After Poison finished and a bunch of stuff exploded and stuff, Ryan, Dave, and I headed back up to the concession area and had like 14 more beers or something. It was nuts but we couldn't help it because we were so pumped for Def Leppard it wasn't even fucking funny. By then, I had to take a piss too so I went into the bathroom and did my best to ignore the fat guy in the New Jersey Devils jersey shaking his dick next to me for like five minutes straight as I tried to focus on rocking out to Def Leppard pretty much any second now.
Once we got back down to our sweet seats again (7TH FUCKING ROW, MOTHERFUCKERS!), it was fucking Def Leppard time and then sure as shit, fucking Def Leppard came on stage and started rocking the fuck out of everyone in the fucking place and that shit was nuts. Def Leppard opened with some new song which was still awesome but basically bullshit considering the fact that you know they've got "Foolin'", "Photograph", "Rock of Ages," and about 500 other hits locked and loaded the whole time and they could have played one of those tunes but whatever it was still sweet. A few songs into things, Def Leppard played "Love Bites" and I was singing along with every word and every chick in my section wanted to bang me because I was fucking nailing that shit so hard you would have thought I was in the fucking band, which I probably should be the more I think about it (NOTE: If you are in Def Leppard and are reading this and also want me in the band, just tell me where the bus is parked and my fucking gig bag and I will be there. Also, we should play some more songs from "High and Dry" cuz that shit rules). It should be noted that the Def Leppard guitar player Phil Collen was shirtless the whole time and so was I and I'm pretty sure he saw me and made a gesture to the singer Joe Elliott like "Check that dude out in Section B, Row 7- he is owning this fucking place." And I was. Ask anyone.
Dave Hill rocking out to Def Leppard
About halfway through their show, the Def Leppard guys all broke out acoustic guitars and sat on a road case brought out by a sweet roadie with a hat on and played some song that I didn't know but it was a real panty dropper that's for fucking sure. A lot of chicks wanted to make out with Def Leppard and also me at this point but we had a show to focus on so we couldn't. It should also be noted at this point that the Def Leppard drummer only has one arm. I realize pretty much everyone knows that already and I am totally used to seeing him play drums like that but when he's just walking around the stage with one arm part of me couldn't help but be all like "Oh, shit- he's coming over here."
After Def Leppard got done showing their sensitive side, it was time for the fucking hits. They played "Women," "Bringin' on the Heartache", "Armageddon It" ("Are you getting it? Yes, I'm a getting it!" It fucking ruled), "Photograph", and basically every other fucking awesome Def Leppard song you can fucking think of. It was at this point in the show, that I ended up meeting this other sweet dude who was rocking out to Def Leppard almost as hard as I was. We high-fived and rocked out and sang every fucking word and basically no one around us could even handle it. You could tell the guys in the band saw us and were like "Fuck- that is some next level shit right there" as we were fucking owning that fucking show so hard. Def Leppard played "Rock of Ages" and then Ryan, Dave, and I got the fuck out of there cuz we had a train to catch back into NYC. I guess you saw this coming, but before we got on the train we fucking knocked back a cold one in the bar in the train station. There were a lot of people who were also at the show at the bar and you could tell by the way they looked at us that they all knew we were the fucking sweet dudes from Section B, Row 7. It ruled. Next time Def Leppard comes back to town we are totally going again and that shit is going to be awesome basically. If they play two nights I would even go both nights.
Def Leppard, Poison, and Lita Ford play Jones Beach in Long Island this Friday (7/13). Tickets are still available. Unclear if Dave will again be in attendance. The tour hits Atlantic City on Saturday. They're back in NY to hit Buffalo and Saratoga Springs in August. All dates at Def Leppard's website.
Dave Hill will be promoting his new book Tasteful Nudes in Austin on Saturday (7/14). You can catch him in NYC when the "Dave Hill Explosion" returns to UCB Theater on July 26th. A few more pictures of Dave rocking, below...
Future Islands at Bowery Ballroom in 2011 (more by Sarahana)
today in NYC
* America @ BB King's
* Big Terrific @ Cameo
* Marika Hughes @ Barbes
* Cody Chesnutt @ SOB's
* Man Forever @ The Stone
* Arthur Doyle @ The Stone
* NRBQ @ Iridium Jazz Club
* Slaughterhouse @ BB King's
* Jonathan Batiste @ Joe's Pub
* Ace Frehley @ Best Buy Theater
* Bob Odenkirk & UCB Pals @ UCB
* Chez Deep @ Santos Party House
* Foxes, Seasick Mama @ Pianos
* The Mandingo Ambassadors @ Barbes
* Nellie McKay @ Madison Square Park
* New York Philharmonic @ Prospect Park
* Femminielli @ WIERD at Home Sweet Home
* Los Lobos, Livingston Leo @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Rakel, Pamela Rodriguez @ Knitting Factory
* Kayo Dot, Mossenek, MV Carbon @ Saint Vitus
* Def Leppard, Poison, Lita Ford @ Prudential Center
* Happy Ending Music & Reading Series @ Joe's Pub
* Guantanamo Baywatch, The Numerators, Big Tits @ Cake Shop
* Buddy Guy, Quinn Sullivan, John Mayall @ World Financial Center
* Cloud, Cloud, SeaPost, Ari Why (DJ set) @ Big Snow Buffalo Lodge
* The Click Clack Boom, Motive, Dead Stars, Indyns @ Public Assembly
* Wolf In a Spacesuit, BZARYN, Spooky Cheddar, Big Girl @ Glasslands
* Summerscreen w/ Colin L. Orchestra, Indian Jewelry @ McCarren Park
* Future Islands, Ed Schrader's Music Beat, Darlings @ Death By Audio
* Morning Musuko Brass Band, Benninghove's Hangmen @ The Paper Box
* Nice & Smooth, Ed O.G. and The Awesome 2 @ Summerstage - Crotona Park
* Missy Mazzoli & Victoire, Skeletons Big Band (free) @ Pace Schimmel Theatre
* U Say USA, The N'ere Dowells, I'm Turning Into, Swimming @ Shea Stadium
* The Byzan-Tones, Stathos Karavani Orchestra, Jeremiah Lockwood @ Zebulon
* Woodyfest w/ Steve Earle, John Hammond, Tim Robbins, Diana Jones @ City Winery
* Communion w/Lucius,Seasick Mama, Faces On Film,David Doobinin,Howth @ UnionHall
* Alexander Hacke, Danielle de Picciotto, Algis Kizys, Pharmakon, Chaos Majik, Pharmakon @ XPO 929
* Rebirth Brass Band w/ Brother Joscephus & The Love Revival Revolution Orchestra @ Beekman Beer Garden
* La Santa Cecilia, Monica Lionheart, Xenia Rubinos, Alex Anwandter, Martin Buscaglia, Gepe, ArtOfficial @ Mercury Lounge
* Mala Rodríguez, Ximena Sariñana, Profetas and The Sconek-T @ Central Park Summerstage
* Celestial Shore, Les Bon Hommes, Young Unknowns, Emerald Lakes @ Delinquency BLVD
Follow BrooklynVegan on Instagram.
Montreal's electronic artist Femminielli makes his U.S. debut at the WIERD party at Home Sweet Home. Italodisco fans will want to check out the video for his single "Atlandia" below.
Ace Frehley at Best Buy Theater... Def Leppard, Poison, and Lita Ford @ Prudential Center? What's a hair metal fan to do?
The Spy Music Festival continues with a performance by Man Forever at the Stone tonight.
The Todd P-curated music portion of Summerscreen starts tonight in McCarren Park.
Advance tickets to Future Islands at Death By Audio tonight are sold out.
Rebirth Brass Band with Brother Joscephus and The Love Revival Revolution Orchestra play Beekman Beer Garden by the South Street Seaport tonight, where the 4Knots Festival and afterparty happen on Saturday.
The All Stars Project "is a non-partisan, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to promoting human development through the use of an innovative performance-based model. The ASP creates outside of school, educational and performing arts activities for thousands of poor and minority young people. It sponsors community and experimental theatre, develops leadership training and pursues volunteer initiatives that build and strengthen communities."
OFF! Has a new video for "Borrow and Bomb" / "I Got News For You" featuring Kids in the Hall's Dave Foley and you can watch that below.
Bloc Party have a new video for "Octopus" from their forthcoming album Four and you can watch that below as well.
Ted Leo @ Pier 54 in 2009 (more by Chris La Putt)
today in NYC
* SBTRKT @ Coco 66
* Matt Bauder @ Barbes
* Shai Halud @ Party Xpo
* 10,000 Maniacs @ City Winery
* Fight The Big Bull @ The Stone
* Prince Rama @ Market Hotel Roof
* Pedro Giraudo Sextet @ Barbes
* Pearl & The Beard, Lucius @ Moscot
* The Magician, JDH & Dave P @ Good Units
* Paperdoll, Apollo Run @ Mercury Lounge
* ViVa La Vuvuzela Music Fest @ 285 Kent
* Ken Vandermark, Chad Taylor @ The Stone
* Salem (DJ set), Rewards @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Diamondsnake, The Suzan @ The Rock Shop
* Scary Mansion, Glass Ghost, SAADI @ Zebulon
* Infinity Hotel, Boom Chick, No Kill @ The Gutter
* Brennan Green, Prince Language, Colin Rogister @ Cameo
* Grooms, Pterodactyl, The Immaculates @ Death By Audio
* Raekwon, Smif-N-Wessun, Joell Ortiz @ Prospect Park Bandshell
* Meshell Ndegeocello, Mushinah @ Weeksville Heritage Center
* Four Tet, FaltyDL, SBTRKT, Bronze, Turbotax (Warm Up) @ P.S.1
* Guinea Worms, Pop. 1280, The In Out, Family Curse @ Bruar Falls
* The Bouncing Souls, Tim Barry, Lost In Society @ Highline Ballroom
* Pure X, Fungi Girls, Expensive Looks, Cough Cool @ Ding Dong Lounge
* Ted Leo & The Pharmacists, Screaming Females @ South Street Seaport
* Making Friendz, Zebra Katz, Tayisha Busay, Skeleton Head @ Cake Shop
* CJ Ramone, The Bullys, The Bad Parts, Wyldlife @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Endless Boogie, Citay, Man Forever, Future Shuttle, ARP (DJ set) @ Glasslands
* Harper Blynn, Elizabeth & The Catapult, The Bandana Splits @ Mercury Lounge
* Your 33 Black Angels, Baxx SiSi's, Persephone's Bees, Les Sans Culottes @ Coco 66
* ChocQuibTown, Rita Indiana, Ursula 1000, Que Bajo?! @ Central Park Summerstage
* Roadside Graves, Country Mice, Northern Bells, Boy Without God @ Cameo Gallery
* Penguin Prison, Wild Yaks, Janka Nabay, Monogold @ JellyNYC Rockbeach
* Barnyard Brothers, Robin Bacior, Brother, Sister, Alex Mallet, Gypsy George & The Open Road Love Affair, Chris Q. Murphy & the Fiendish Thingies, Third Wheel Band @ Southpaw
* The Sharp Lads, My Gay Banjo, Soft Black, Elizabeth Devlin, Franz Nicolay the Shivers @ Seedstock
The free Ted Leo show at the Seaport is listed as 6pm.
Check out This Week in Indie
Lots of free shows this week.
Matthewdavid cancelled his PS1 appearance today.
Take a bus from Brooklyn to Soundgarden at Jones Beach today.
Speaking of Jones Beach, "Def Leppard with special guest Heart performances originally scheduled for July 12th at Nikon at Jones Beach Theater and July 13th at PNC Bank Arts Center have been rescheduled as follows: Nikon at Jones Beach Theater - Saturday, July 30th, PNC Bank Arts Center - August 3rd."
The Strokes have a new video for "Taken For A Fool." Check it out below.
"Def Leppard Wants To Know If Your School Rocks The Hardest! Win a meet & greet with Def Leppard @ San Manuel Amphitheatre! Any time between now and September 3rd, post the name of your high school or college on this event's wall. The person with the most entries at the end of that period will win tix to the show and get to meet with the band. Get to posting and good luck!" [Facebook]
Harlem Shakes @ Southpaw in February (more by Jonny Leather)
tonight in NYC
* Vanilla Ice @ Iving Plaza
* The Roots @ Highline Ballroom
* Jay Reatard @ Music on the Oval
* Amateur Night @ Apollo Theater
* Todd Barry @ Carolines on Broadway
* Canada's Birthday Bash @ Joe's Pub
* Kria Brekkan & Ásdís Sif Gunnarsdótir @ Sycamore
* Leona Naess, Jess Harris @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Apollo Run, The Hard Lessons @ The Bell House
* MGMT, Kuroma, Suckers @ Prospect Park Bandshell
* Cheap Trick, Def Leppard, Poison @ PNC Bank Arts Center
* Ravens & Chimes, Soy Un Caballo, Rich Bennett @ Union Hall
* Trevor Exter, Steve Waitt, The NY Howl @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Harlem Shakes, Motel Motel, Superhuman Happiness @ Bowery Ballroom
* Clair Lynch Band, Missy Raines & The New Hip @ Madison Square Park
* Tift Merritt, Sarah Lee Guthrie & Johnny Irion @ Stuyvesant High School
* A Big Yes and a Small No, Shilpa Ray & Her Happy Hookers, Wild Yaks, Linfinity @ Southpaw
Vanilla Ice is playing Irving Plaza. True Story.
On the same night Def Leppard and Poison are co-headlining PNC Bank Arts Center. Decisions, decisions.
Happy Canada Day!
Tonight's free outdoor shows include Jay Reatard at the Stuy Town Oval, Clair Lynch Band and Missy Raines & The New Hip at Madison Square Park, and the formerly-outdoor show with Tift Merritt and Sarah Lee Guthrie & Johnny Irion which was moved to Stuyvesant High School.
TV Smith won't be at the Mercury Lounge tonight because of visa problems. He is expected to make his Thursday gig at the MHOW with Jay Reatard and Screaming Females though. At the Mercury Lounge you can still catch Fake Problems, Kiss Kiss, Paper and Sand, and Alone at 3am.
Jay Reatard is wearing a Lovvers shirt in that picture up there. Lovvers are visiting the US later this month.
Keith Fullerton Whitman was supposed to play the Issue Project Room. The venue's website reads, "TONIGHT'S CONCERT IS CANCELLED. MANY APOLOGIES."
Original Múm member and Avey Tare collaborator Kria Brekkan will join Ásdís Sif Gunnarsdótir at Sycamore tonight.
Harlem Shakes headline the Bowery Ballroom tonight. See their brand new video, for the song "Strictly Game," below.
DO NOT BRINGFaith No More's first confirmed 2009 appearance has been announced. As you can see above, they one of three headliners at this year's Download Festival in Donington Park ("where the three counties of Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire and Derbyshire meet. - The ley-lines of ROCK!!"). Take a look at that lineup... I guess the haters win round one on this reunion (thx Zach).
Offensive weapons or anything that may be considered offensive, even if you're planning to use it for camping ( it won't be allowed in )
This includes: ANY glass containers, Prams or pushchairs ( the festival site is not suitable for them or their occupants!) ANY pets, Laser pens ( they are dangerous and may result in eviction without refund )
Gas cylinders and petrol fuelled cookers will not be permitted in the main campsite. Anyone found in possession of a gas cylinder or petrol may be asked to leave.
The suggested cooking stoves allowed are any solid fuel type such as Disposable BBQ's, Hexi Stove with solid fuel block
Standard compact cameras will be permitted, though you will not be able to take in a professional camera e.g. One with interchangeable lenses.
P.S. "Faith No More's appearance at Download 2009 will be their ONLY UK date this year."