Entries tagged with: Don Pedros
I didn't even know it closed, but Don Pedro's (90 Manhattan Avenue b/w Boerum & McKibben) is now under new management and they closed down the "East Williamsburg" venue "just after new year's" to make some "minor improvements." To celebrate the reopening they've booked '14 bands in 4 nights.' The party kicks off Thursday, January 27th with a Rockabilly evening, continues Friday with "Oops Baby Records" night headlined by Baltimore's The Flying Eyes, brings in some CBGB legends on Saturday with the Richard Lloyd Band and The Waldos featuring Walter Lure, and ends on Sunday with a lineup of all one-man acts. Check out the flyer with more details below...
Tombs @ the Studio in 2009 (more by Jason Jamal Nakleh)
today in NYC
* H2O on a boat
* Robert Black @ The Stone
* Ute Lemper @ Joe's Pub (early & late)
* Leon Russell @ Mexicali Live (NJ)
* Dr. Lonnie Smith Trio @ Jazz Standard
* Forest Fire, Oh Land, Normandy @ Glasslands
* Scott McMicken of Dr. Dog, Springs @ The Rock Shop
* Diddy, Rick Ross, Ciara & more @ Governors Island
* Hannibal Buress, King Sickabilly @ Knitting Factory
* Miya Masaoka, Mary Halvorson, Okkyung Lee @ The Stone
* Reid Paley Trio, Sam Chanse, Sugar Life @ Knitting Factory
* Nullsleep, Bit Shifter, Glomag, NO CARRIER @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Tombs, Radiation, Planks, Gods & Queens, Dawn @ Death By Audio
* Chromeo, The Suzan, Telephoned, Kid Sister @ Williamsburg Waterfront
* Metal Rouge, Sam Hamilton, Jane Austen, Greg Fox, Diablo @ Silent Barn
* Seaven Tears (Charlie Looker), Tartar Lamb (Toby Driver), Music of the American Avante-Garde (Bracken/Kidambi) @ Zebulon
* Religious To Damn, Fielded, Psychic Steel, Kevin Hufnagel @ Bruar Falls
* The Big Sleep, Fan-Tan, Sensual Harassment, Replicas, Michna (DJ Set) @ Cameo
* Mia Riddle, Pearl & The Beard, Madison Square Gardeners (Farm To Folk Fest) @ Union Pool (see below)
* New York Night Train's Ya Ya Yacht w/ DJ Mr. Jonathan Toubin & DJ Ian Svenonius
* Saviours, Priestess, Ramming Speed, Antidote [NYHC 1983], Rorschach DJ's, Hamsoken, Gatekeeper, Cult of Youth, Naam, Titan, Natur, Snake Sustaine, Primitive Weapons, Cleen Teeth @ Santos Party House
* K Holes, Electric Tickle Machine, My Teenage Stride, Food Stamps, Weekends, Weed Hounds, Shark?, Lost Boy, The Runaway Suns, The Caterpillers (and much more) @ Don Pedro (see below)
A lot to do today for a rainy Sunday at the end of a slow week.
Individual tickets are on sale today for the 2010-2011 NY Philharmonic concert season.
To make sure they don't get shut down, tonight's sold out H2O show happening on a Rocks Off boat is going to be dry ("Our First Ever NO BOOZE CRUISE - Straight Edge on the Hudson!"), which is ironic since those that step outside will probably not be dry at all thanks to the H2O coming down from the sky.
Good thing there's going to be a Pool Party on August 29th. Otherwise they would have went out on a rainy note. If it doesn't get cancelled, Chromeo, The Suzan, Telephoned, and previously-known-as "Special Guest" Kid Sister play the free show at the Williamsburg Waterfront today.
Today is the day The Specials were supposed to play in the rain at Central Park Summerstage.
Though there are still free events, there are no more free concerts on Governors Island this summer, which means tonight's potentially-soggy Diddy fans paid for their tickets. Same situation for the Jonas Brothers fans at Jones Beach.
Two indoor options today include "Farm to Folk Fest" at Union Pool (3-8pm) and "My Endless Summer" at Don Pedro from 4pm to 4am. Flyers and more information for both below...
Cassie Ramone (the Babies) @ Death By Audio on 8/13 (more by Eric Rex)
"My solo stuff is hard to describe, I haven't been too active about it because I'm really shy, and it's hard for me open up. With Vivian Girls Katy is not shy, she's really good at saying, "listen to my band, come and see my show!" Which I think is awesome, and is one of the reason we were able to do so well because she's so enthusiastic about everything she does, but I'm not like that, I'm more introverted with my artistic endeavors. My stuff that's not Vivian girls is more folksy I would say. I have some keyboard organ songs, it's all over the place really, but I think I'm going to try to record an album over the summer, if I can get it together enough." [CASSIE RAMONE]Cassie Ramone of the Vivian Girls keeps herself busy. In addition to her side-project called the Babies, Cassie is, like A.J. McLean of the Backstreet Boys (and her VG bandmate Kickball Katy), working on a solo album. Maybe she'll play some of those songs at her solo show happening at Don Perdo in Brooklyn tonight (8/19). The Impose-presented gig will also feature a headlining set by White Mystery and more. Flyer below.
White Mystery was last here from Chicago in April, and have no more NYC shows scheduled after tonight, but are on tour. All dates and videos from their Cake Shop show (which I posted one other time coincidentally in a post that was topped by a picture of Cassie Ramone) below.
The Babies played Death By Audio with Ty Segall and Royal Baths over the weekend. Their next scheduled show is September 24th at Cake Shop where they'll share a bill with Garotas Suecas, Sundelles and Holger.
Vivian Girls have upcoming shows too - soon even. You can catch them in their college town of New Brunswick, NJ on Saturday night at a place called Fuck Mountain. It's a basement show. Big Troubles and Coasting are also on the bill which is convenient for Coasting drummer Fiona who is in both bands. Vivian Girls are also playing ATP NY. All dates below..
Photos by Gabi Porter
King Khan w/ LiveFastDie
"Livefastdie are probably my favorite band in New York right now. Seeing them live is like watching three-to-five crazed gibbons spinning out of control on the edge of a towering precipice, if that were a rock and roll band who play funny songs that sound like the Ramones. (I know citing the Ramones is music-journalism shorthand for "I don't know any other punk bands," but in this case it's true.)" [VICE]Continuing with our "Where's King Khan?" series (previous CMJ spottings = at the Antics Black Lips show & at his own show with BBQ), here's a set of pictures from Thursday (10/23) night's MyOpenBar party at Don Pedro's...
Lightning Bolt @ Broadway Backyard on Saturday (more by Leia Jospe)
"isn't lightning bolt playing tonight in brooklyn somewhere? don pedros maybe?"
[Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:28 PM]
Although that comment and the Don Pedro's calendar scream "secret show", it appears that "Lightning Bolt" are NOT playing there tonight....