Entries tagged with: Easy Star All-Stars
Paul Simon, Stevie Wonder, Sting, Edie Brickell, Tina Fey, Tom Hanks, Steve Martin, James Taylor, and more are playing the Children's Health Fund 25th Anniversary Concert at Radio City Music Hall on October 4. Tickets for that show are very expensive and on sale now.
Prong is playing Rocks Off cruise during CMJ on October 19 with Eminence and For Sleeping or Jumping. Tickets for that show are on sale now.
Sam Sparro plays Webster Hall on November 30. Tickets go on sale at noon.
BAIO (aka Chris Baio of Vampire Weekend) is playing Glasslands on October 26 with Germany Germany. Tickets for that show are on sale now.
Iggy Azalea and Havana Brown are opening for Rita Ora at Highline Ballroom on October 30. Tickets for that show go on sale today at noon.
Theophilus London is playing Gramercy Theatre on October 20 with Chip Tha Rippa and Phony PPL. Tickets for that show are on sale now.
Tickets to the Owen shows at Mercury Lounge and Union Hall go on sale today at noon.
Sam Mickens also plays as a duo with Mike Pride at Death by Audio on October 14 with Aurora and Glockabelle.
We already posted lots of posts today. Here's some more, and some reminders too...
The 25th Anniversary edition of Michael Jackson's BAD contains a previously-unreleased, disconcertingly-upbeat anti-abortion song, "Abortion Papers," which you can stream below.
Reggae group Easy Star All Stars, who in the past have tackled Radiohead and the Beatles, just released a "Thriller" tribute album called "Thrillah."
Blonds are not to be confused with Blondes who played 100 Troutman the other night.
Teengirl Fantasy were supposed to play that show but will play a no-longer secret show at 285 Kent tonight instead.
Adam Ant is on tour and we got some pictures from his Austin show.
Big K.R.I.T. played Irving Plaza last night (9/20), and was joined by special guests Slim Thug and Paul Wall who teamed up to perform the Mike Jones favorite "Sill Tippin'". Video of that is below.
Do you agree with Forbes that Williamsburg is the third hippest neighborhood in the United States?
Did you get your new iPhone 5?
Pussy Riot, who were just awarded a LennonOno Peace Prize, are still locked up, and it still sucks, as the Dave Hill Remix of Peaches' "Free Pussy Riot" reminds us. You can watch the video for the original at Vimeo.
Europe and the US approve the Universal purchase of EMI.
Fiona Apple, who is out of jail, will play Houston tonight.
More stuff below...
DOWNLOAD: Deer Tick - "The Great Smoke Off" (MP3)
The Raveonettes @ Emo's earlier this month (more by Tim Griffin)
today in NYC
* Kino @ Zebulon
* Ikue Mori @ The Stone
* Kyle Clyde @ The Stone
* PJ Harvey @ Terminal 5
* The Bad Plus @ Blue Note
* Vinnie Sperrazza @ Barbes
* Bill Frisell @ Village Vanguard
* Elton John @ Tribeca Film Festival
* Bambi Kino @ Bowery Electric
* Knyfe Hyts @ Secret Project Robot
* The Breithaupt Brothers @ Joe's Pub
* Dez Cadena, The Slants, Lunic @ Union Hall
* Kid Cudi, Chip Tha Rippa @ Roseland Ballroom
* Toshi Reagon (presents Good Folk) @ Joe's Pub
* Rubix Kube ('80s tribute band) @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Mobb Deep's Prodigy" @ Powerhouse Arena Bookstore
* Local H, The Dig, The Yes Way @ Knitting Factory
* Joe Ely, Terry Allen, Ryan Bingham @ City Winery
* Mandingo Ambassadors, Mamady Kouyate @ Barbes
* The Raveonettes, Tamaryn @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Rubblebucket, MillionYoung, Com Truise @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Endless Boogie, The Ne're Do Wells, Mike Bones @ The Delancey
* Dom, MINKS, Fergus & Geronimo, Total Slacker @ Bowery Ballroom
* Easy Star All-Stars, John Brown's Body, Cas Haley @ Highline Ballroom
* The Wellington Papers, The Paper Planets @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Woodsman, Tjutjuna, Ancient Sky, Wet Dream, DJ Non Format @ Glasslands
* Grasshopper, J Mannion, Creeplings, High School Confidential @ Silent Barn
* The Pioneers of Seduction, Cinema Cinema, Karaoke Killed The Cat @ Fontana's
* Fletcher C. Johnson, Rev. Brandon Hayes, The Goddamn Rattlesnake @ The Acheron
* Jowe Head & The Extremities, German Measles, McDonalds @ The Rock Shop
* Davila 666, Hunx and His Punx, Shannon and the Clams, The Foxx @ Cake Shop
* The Pipettes, Les Sans Culottes, Freshkills, The Barnyard Boys @ Mercury Lounge
* Steve Ignorant (presents Crass songs 1977-1984),
Goldblade, A.P.P.L.E., Thulsa Doom, Dog That Bites Everyone @ Europa
* Krallice, Obits, Mira Billotte (of White Magic), Dope Body (Tribute to Brendan Majewski of Orphan) @ Union Pool
* The Marijuana-Logues w/ Tony Camin, Rob Cantrell, Bruce Cherry @ Grammercy Theater
Despite having visa issues earlier in the week, The Pipettes are in fact in town now and playing Mercury Lounge tonight.
However, Steve Ignorant's tourmate Goldblade are having visa issues that caused them to NOT make it to the U.S. in time for the start of their tour tonight at Europa. Steve will be there though, despite having visa issues that caused the delay of the entire tour, and Goldblade will hopefully work things out in time to get here for other dates.
Mogwai are also having visa issues and cancelled the shows they were scheduled to play on Thursday and Friday.
Happy 4/20! To celebrate, download and listen to the Deer Tick cover of a Shel Silverstein song above, and go see The Marijuana-Logues featuring Tony Camin, Rob Cantrell, and Bruce Cherry at Gramercy (but not Doug Benson), or check out Easy Star All Stars at Higline Ballroom ("ADVANCE TICKETS ARE SOLD OUT. LIMITED TICKETS WILL BE AVAILABLE AT THE DOOR AT SHOWTIME."). You might know them from such classic albums as Dub Side of the Moon (2003), Radiodread (2006), Easy Star's Lonely Hearts Dub Band (2009), and Dubber Side of the Moon (2010).
Though they're not technically on tour together, I guess they're sort of on tour together (which makes sense since they share a booking agent). I'm talking about Raveonettes/Tamaryn (at MHOW tonight) and Hunx/Shannon (at Cake Shop tonight). All four bands also played the same night, but in two different rooms (two separate shows) at Emo's earlier this month.
Music on the Oval w/ Kaki King in '09 (more by Tim Griffin)
Music on the Oval, another free series of NYC shows, happens this summer every Wednesday night from June 16-July 21 at Stuyvesant Town Oval. The shows are at 7pm with a 6pm warm-up DJ set, and are located between 16th and 18th Sts and Avenues A & B (entrance off First Ave and 16th St).
Acts this year include Delorean (the poppy Barcelona dance band with lots of shows this summer), reggae band Easy Star All-Stars (who play every year), soul and funk from Naomi Shelton & the Gospel Queens and Tony Allen (both at Metrotech Commons/BAM Rhythm & Blues Fest afternoon series too), Juana Molina (who's also appearing at Lincoln Center Out of Doors Festival, and downtown guitar fixture Marc Ribot with his band Los Cubanos Postizos (Marc plays the Stone Thursday, May 6th, with May's co-curator Henry Kaiser - one of the sets includes John Zorn).
The full Stuy Town schedule is below...
Mos Def gets ready for the beach (Black Star @ Nokia Theater) (more by Tim Griffin)
The lineup for this summer's Highline Ballroom/AEG-produced events on Governors Island has been expanded. We already mentioned the big B-52s and Erykah Badu shows. One big addition to those is a performance by Mos Def on Saturday, September 12th. Those tickets go on "internet presale" starting Saturday, June 27th at 10am. General sale starts Monday, June 29th at 10am.
More DJ parties, kids events and other bands have been added as well. Full info and schedule below...
High Places @ Stuy Town Oval 2008 (thepiratehat)
Music on the Oval will feature free family-friendly concerts at 7:00 p.m. New Yorkers and visitors will groove to a different pre-show DJ each night starting at 6:00 p.m...The Stuyvesant Town Oval is located between 16th and 18th Streets and Avenues A & B and the entrance is off First Avenue and 16th Street.We already mentioned that Jay Reatard is the family-friendly artist playing there on July 1st. Kaki King, The Budos Band and a few others are playing there this summer too. Full schedule below...
Like Yo La Tengo, Matisyahu is playing eight NYC-area Hanukkah shows this year. This is not the first time Matisyahu did this, but I think Yo La Tengo has been doing it longer. Also, Yo La Tengo has more indie cred. Yo La Tengo tickets are on sale. Matisyahu tickets are on sale (presale code = SHINEBRIGHT). All Matisyahu dates below...