Entries tagged with: Fanfare Ciocarlia
photo: Gogol Bordello at FFF 2015 (more)
Gogol Bordello frontman Eugene Hutz will perform an "exclusive and first-time collaboration" with Gypsy brass band Fanfare Ciocārlia at NYC's Town Hall on April 22. Tickets are on sale now. Via the show description:
Fanfare Ciocārlia are a 24-legged brass beast whose eastern funk groove has torn up halls and festivals across the planet. Their energy and ingenuity having won them fans from Melbourne to Memphis, Tokyo to Toulouse. Having learnt their craft at the feet of their fathers and grandfathers Fanfare's members proudly approach every concert as a challenge to both entertain audiences and keep the true spirit of Gypsy music alive.Before that, Gogol Bordello are wrapping up their Gypsy Punks 10th anniversary tour, including New Year's Eve and 12/30 at Terminal 5 in NYC. NYE is a Gypsy Punks show, but 12/30 is a regular set. Tickets are still available, and we're also giving away a pair to the date of your choice. Enter to win, below.
Abigail Washburn in Central Park in 2012 (more by Chris La Putt)
NYC's annual world music festival globalFEST (not to be confused with Central Park's Global Citizen Festival) returns in 2014 at Webster Hall on January 12. Performers include (descriptions via globalFEST's site):
* Afropolitan rumba rapper Baloji (Congo/Belgium)Some of these artists will be making their NY debuts at this show, and though The Wu-Force (Abigail Washburn, Kai Welch, and Wu Fei) is one of those artists, it's certainly not the first time in NY for Abigail Washburn, who has played NYC multiple times, once with Kai Welch. For this new trio, Abigail & co. make what they're calling "Kungfu-Appalachian-Indie-Folk-Rock." You can stream some demos for the new band below.
* Technicolor Bollywood big-band pop band The Bombay Royale (India/Australia)
* Infectious Jamaican single-string guitarist Brushy One String (Jamaica)
* Soulful A cappella gospel trio Como Mamas (Mississippi)
* Subversive Ukrainian punk-folk band DakhaBrakha (Ukraine)
* Blazing Gypsy brass legends Fanfare Ciocarlia (Romania)
* North African Gnawa trance master Hassan Hakmoun (Morocco/NY)
* Dutch-Antillean global bass dance beats group KiT (Kuenta i Tambu) (Curacao/Netherlands)
* Mauritanian Desert soul singer Noura Mint Seymali (Mauritania)
* Mambo mexicano and indie cumbia group Sergio Mendoza Y La Orkesta (Arizona)
* Appalachian-Chinese avant-folk group The Wu-Force (feat. Abigail Washburn, Kai Welch, and Wu Fei)
* Post modern Parisian pop via Beirut underground artist Yasmine Hamdan (Beirut/Paris)
Tickets to globalFEST 2014 go on sale today (11/1) at noon.
Song streams below...
We previously posted about Justin Townes Earl's two-night Woody Guthrie tribute that's happening at PACE University's Michael Shimmel Center for the Arts on October 26 and 27. This is part of the university's "Pace Presents" 2012 / 2013 season which features "world-class performing arts and culture series with an emphasis on music superstars from around the globe, charismatic and crowd-pleasing dance performances, spectacular theatre and contemporary cabaret" The season kicks off Saturday, September 22 with Romanian gypsy folk act Fanfare Ciocalia and tickets are on sale now.
The full schedule is below but highlights include Malian actress/singer Fatoumata Diawara who'll perform on September 28. Tickets are still available. Her most recent album, Fatou, made a few Best of 2011 lists and is streamable at Spotify. The show is part of a North American tour and all tour dates are listed below.
The Pace Presents '12/'13 season wraps on April 20 up with South African horn player and vocalist Hugh Masekela. Tickets are on sale now.
The Pace Presents 2012 / 2013 schedule is below, along with a list of Fatoumata Diawara tour dates and videos.
POP Montreal is returning to Montreal this year from September 19 - 23. The initial lineup was revealed and it includes Grizzly Bear, Gang Gang Dance, David Byrne, Tim Hecker, Julia Holter, I Break Horses, Hot Snakes, Dirty Three, Mr. Muthafuckin' eXquire, Cate Le Bon, Bertrand Burgulat (!), and more. The full initial lineup is listed below and many more announcements to come. Early Bird tickets are on sale until June 30, when regular sale begins.
Meanwhile, Montreal will be getting the Ohsheaga Festival even sooner.
Initial POP Montreal lineup below...