Entries tagged with: Food Stamps
Alix of Golden Triangle (left) needs your attention... and for a good cause!
The Rock Lottery began in Denton, TX in 1997 (and in Seattle in 2006). This will be Brooklyn's inaugural Rock Lottery. The premise is simple, but effective. Twenty-five hand picked musicians meet at 10:00AM at the evening's performance venue. These volunteers are organized into five groups through a lottery-based chance selection. The five separate groups are then released to practice at different locations. The musicians have twelve hours to create a band name and three to five songs (with a one cover-song limit). The groups will then perform what they have created that evening in front of a waiting audience.The Rock Lottery compiles those 25 musicians from varying backgrounds in an attempt to move each out of their comfort zones and into musical exploration. The participants, which include members of Liturgy, Oberhofer, King Missile III, Death Set, Bear In Heaven, Family Band, Les Savy Fav, White Rabbits, and many others, will perform their new pieces at Knitting Factory on Saturday (12/18). Tickets are on sale, and proceeds from the show will go to World Savvy, a local charity focused on teaching the "next generation of leaders to learn, work and live as responsible global citizens in the 21st century."
So what do the two ladies in the above picture have to do with The Rock Lottery? The one on the left is bassist Alix Brown of Golden Triangle, who is a participant in the show. The lady on the right is Carlie Rabalais (also Golden Triangle) and the picture is a production still taken from the video shoot for "Crystal" by Carlie's other band X-Ray Eyeballs who will release heir debut album, Not Nothing, via Kanine Records on April 19th, 2011. No word on when "Crystal" will hit the rounds, but you can catch the band at a pair of shows in the near future, including supporting Tyvek and Fergus & Geronimo at Mercury Lounge on 1/16 (tickets are still on sale) and Bruar Falls this Wednesday (12/15) with Food Stamps + My Teenage Stride.
Full participant list in The Rock Lottery, some recent video of X-Ray Eyeballs at Shea Stadium, and tour dates below.
Tombs @ the Studio in 2009 (more by Jason Jamal Nakleh)
today in NYC
* H2O on a boat
* Robert Black @ The Stone
* Ute Lemper @ Joe's Pub (early & late)
* Leon Russell @ Mexicali Live (NJ)
* Dr. Lonnie Smith Trio @ Jazz Standard
* Forest Fire, Oh Land, Normandy @ Glasslands
* Scott McMicken of Dr. Dog, Springs @ The Rock Shop
* Diddy, Rick Ross, Ciara & more @ Governors Island
* Hannibal Buress, King Sickabilly @ Knitting Factory
* Miya Masaoka, Mary Halvorson, Okkyung Lee @ The Stone
* Reid Paley Trio, Sam Chanse, Sugar Life @ Knitting Factory
* Nullsleep, Bit Shifter, Glomag, NO CARRIER @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Tombs, Radiation, Planks, Gods & Queens, Dawn @ Death By Audio
* Chromeo, The Suzan, Telephoned, Kid Sister @ Williamsburg Waterfront
* Metal Rouge, Sam Hamilton, Jane Austen, Greg Fox, Diablo @ Silent Barn
* Seaven Tears (Charlie Looker), Tartar Lamb (Toby Driver), Music of the American Avante-Garde (Bracken/Kidambi) @ Zebulon
* Religious To Damn, Fielded, Psychic Steel, Kevin Hufnagel @ Bruar Falls
* The Big Sleep, Fan-Tan, Sensual Harassment, Replicas, Michna (DJ Set) @ Cameo
* Mia Riddle, Pearl & The Beard, Madison Square Gardeners (Farm To Folk Fest) @ Union Pool (see below)
* New York Night Train's Ya Ya Yacht w/ DJ Mr. Jonathan Toubin & DJ Ian Svenonius
* Saviours, Priestess, Ramming Speed, Antidote [NYHC 1983], Rorschach DJ's, Hamsoken, Gatekeeper, Cult of Youth, Naam, Titan, Natur, Snake Sustaine, Primitive Weapons, Cleen Teeth @ Santos Party House
* K Holes, Electric Tickle Machine, My Teenage Stride, Food Stamps, Weekends, Weed Hounds, Shark?, Lost Boy, The Runaway Suns, The Caterpillers (and much more) @ Don Pedro (see below)
A lot to do today for a rainy Sunday at the end of a slow week.
Individual tickets are on sale today for the 2010-2011 NY Philharmonic concert season.
To make sure they don't get shut down, tonight's sold out H2O show happening on a Rocks Off boat is going to be dry ("Our First Ever NO BOOZE CRUISE - Straight Edge on the Hudson!"), which is ironic since those that step outside will probably not be dry at all thanks to the H2O coming down from the sky.
Good thing there's going to be a Pool Party on August 29th. Otherwise they would have went out on a rainy note. If it doesn't get cancelled, Chromeo, The Suzan, Telephoned, and previously-known-as "Special Guest" Kid Sister play the free show at the Williamsburg Waterfront today.
Today is the day The Specials were supposed to play in the rain at Central Park Summerstage.
Though there are still free events, there are no more free concerts on Governors Island this summer, which means tonight's potentially-soggy Diddy fans paid for their tickets. Same situation for the Jonas Brothers fans at Jones Beach.
Two indoor options today include "Farm to Folk Fest" at Union Pool (3-8pm) and "My Endless Summer" at Don Pedro from 4pm to 4am. Flyers and more information for both below...
DOWNLOAD: Holy Fuck - Latin America (MP3)
Holy Fuck in Austin (more by Tim Griffin)
As they put it, Holy Fuck "are playing a very special preview date in NYC (April 23rd), head to Europe in early May, and make their way back to the U.S. for a slew of Tour Dates in late May following the release of Latin." Tickets are available (while they last) at the door at Cake Shop tonight. More details on the show and all dates below...