Entries tagged with: Gay Pride
NYC Pride March 2011 (more by Amanda Hatfield)
today in NYC
* NYC Pride March
* Auktyon @ Joe's Pub
* ASSSSCAT 3000 @ UCB
* Dance on the Pier @ Pier 54
* Stephane Wrembel @ Barbes
* Sour Mash Hug Band @ Barbes
* Rosie Flores @ The Rock Shop
* Governors Ball @ Randall's Island
* Hannibal Buress @ Knitting Factory
* Wobbly and Seth Horvitz @ The Stone
* Body Language @ South Street Seaport
* St. Helena, Gregory Stovetop @ Zebulon
* Punk Island @ South Island Field at Governors Island
* The Old Fashions, Clay Russel @ Manhattan Inn
* Penguin Prison, Art vs Science @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Noah & The Megafauna, Chris Garneau @ Joe's Pub
* The Canon Logic, Casey Shea, Bryan Scary @ Maxwell's
* Gltr Pnch, Born in a Cent, Penguin, Runny @ Cake Shop
* The Sutras, The Midnight Moan, Dead Roses @ Union Pool
* Black Girls, Dirty Fences, Grand Rapids @ Mercury Lounge
* Shayna Dunkelman, Ayako Kataoka, Liz Meredith @ The Stone
* Rarechild, Psychobuildings, Sofa Club, Tresors @ Matchless
* Orion Music & More Festival @ Bader Field in Atlantic City
* Jackie & The Stabbs, Gold Lake, Glass Vaults @ Cameo Gallery
* Norman, These Days, Bad Visions, Hoarders, The Guts @ XPO 929
* Dance on the Pier w/ Cyndi Lauper, Eva Simons @ Pier 54
* Hannibal Buress, Kevin Barnett, Josh Rabinowitz @ Red Hook Park
* Real Estate, Toasted Plastic, Spook Houses @ Kasschau Memorial Shell
* Alabama Shakes, Diamond Rugs, Robert Ellis @ Central Park Summerstage
* Kings County w/ Kurt Andersen, Lucy Sexton, Chairlift @ The Bell House
* Driver Friendly, My Excuse, Trapped in Static, Oh My Blackbird @ Pianos
* Anberlin, Monsters Calling Home, Mychal Cohen @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Wooden Shjips, Amen Dunes, The Vacant Lots, DJ Nonformat @ Knitting Factory
* Balkan Beat Box, Jesse Harris, Butterfly Boucher, Geographer @ The Bowery Hotel
* Ghola Tanks, Jensen/Dahl/Walter Trio, The Home of Easy Credit, Split Red @ Death By Audio
* Fredericks Brown, Emily Jane White, Alana Amram & The Rough Gems, Tom Irwin @ Glasslands
* Very Rare, Zulus, Nasa Space Universe, Tom Blacklung and the Smokestacks @ Big Snow Buffalo Lodge
* Abnormality, Forced Asphyxiation, Slaughter The Prophets, Thorn Constellation, Torturous Inception @ Saint Vitus
NYC Pride Week culminates today with the historic annual NYC Pride March at noon, Pridefest street fair on Hudson St. immediately after, and a giant dance party with Cyndi Lauper on Pier 54 starting at 5PM.
The Governor's Ball continues today on Randall's Island as well, with performances by Beck, Modest Mouse and Explosions in the Sky.
There's also Punk Island on Governor's Island with over 50 bands on eight stages. It's free.
NYC Pride March 2011 (more by Amanda Hatfield)
Happy NYC Pride 2012. Already underway, the week of celebrations will come to a close Sunday night (6/24), with the annual Dance on the Pier which will feature a performance by Cyndi Lauper who is also one of the grand marshalls of The March which happens earlier that day. Chris Salgardo, Phyllis Siegel & Connie Kopelov are the other marshsalls. Tonight (6/20) is Family Night (which includes a screening of the original Willy Wonka movie), and there's also a "VIP Roof Party" and "Rapture on the River" on Saturday, not to mention plenty of unofficial celebrations all over the city. Check NYCPride.org for more info.
photos by Amanda Hatfield
Tens of thousands of ecstatic celebrants took to the streets Sunday for New York's Pride March, soaking up an historic equal rights victory.More pictures from Sunday's parade (slightly NSFW), below...
Floats, politicians and dancers got huge applause all along the parade route.
The real focus was clear: Every time a couple marched past wearing tuxedos and wedding gowns, the packed crowd exploded into cheers, hollers and hoots.
Carrying signs that read "Equality For All Families," "Promise Kept!" and "It Does Get Better NY," partiers embodied this year's parade theme: "Proud and Powerful."
They couldn't stop talking about Friday night's landmark 33-29 state Senate vote to legalize gay nups.
Gov. Cuomo signed gay marriage into law five minutes before midnight Friday - and was treated to a hero's welcome Sunday.
Gay marriage goes into effect in a month, and will make New York the sixth - and most populous - state to legalize same-sex weddings, joining Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire and Iowa - plus the District of Columbia. [NY Daily News]
NYC Pride Parade is underway (ladyhawk1998)
today in NYC
* Pride Parade
* Blue Note Jazz Fest
* It Is It @ Pianos
* Puglia @ Zebulon
* ASSSSCAT 3000 @ UCB
* Yukie & Ryoji @ Barbes
* Bootsy Collins @ BB King's
* Jim Hobbs Trio @ The Stone
* Justin Vivian Bond @ Joe's Pub
* Joe Morris Quartet @ The Stone
* The Elected, Tristen @ Maxwell's
* The Japonize Elephants @ Barbes
* Hannibal Buress @ Knitting Factory
* My Teenage Stride @ South Street Seaport
* Archers of Loaf, Mr. Dream @ Webster Hall
* The Grenadines, The Aviation Orange @ Union Hall
* Datus, Gnarwhal, Beate Nes, Nikki D'Agostino @ Don Pedro
* Porches, The Selfsame, Ego Puppets, U.S. English @ Pianos
* Pajama Club (Feat. Neil & Sharon Finn) @ Bowery Ballroom
* Elliot & The Ghost, Twin Killers, Telenovelas @ Death By Audio
* Hugh Masekela, Freshlyground, Somi @ Central Park Summerstage
* Noveller, unFact (David Wm. Sims of Jesus Lizard), U.S. Girls @ Bruar Falls
* Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn, Eddie Floyd, Lester Snell (The Music of Stax Records) @ Highline Ballroom
* Aperiodic, UB313 with Marshall Allen, Jon Irabagon and Mike Pride Duo, Congs For Brums (Undead Jazzfest) @ Cameo Gallery
* Reggae Bowl w/ Inner Circle, The RBC, Jahdan Blakkamoore, Prince Polo, Dub Select Horns, Cris Cab, J Marcus, Martei Korley @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Richard Lloyd (of Television), Mobile Wash Unit, The Amygdaloids, Glockabelle, The Looking, Andy Schuman and Darkhorse @ Coco 66
YACHT recorded an NPR Tiny Desk Concert for NPR. Check it out below...
photos by Chris La Putt
"New York's gay pride parade filled Manhattan's streets Sunday with thumping music, blaring whistles and thousands of marchers dancing and waving rainbow-colored flags.More pictures from Sunday's parade, below...
The marchers included a group of Bergen County parents who joined the parade to support their gay and lesbian children.
"Thank you!" someone in the crowd lining Fifth Avenue yelled as the roughly 20 members of the Bergen County chapter of the Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, or PFLAG, marched by. "I wish my parents were here!"" [NorthJersey.com]
Elvis Perkins @ MHOW in 2009 (more by Dominick Mastrangelo)
tonight in NYC
* Northside Festival
* David Johansen @ Highline Ballroom
* Bang on a Can Marathon @ WFC Winter Garden
* Gil Scott Heron @ Central Park Summerstage
* Tinariwen, The Sway Machinery @ The Bell House
* Omar Souleyman, CSC Funk Band @ Issue Project Room
* Matt Pond PA, Wintersleep, Air Waves @ Bowery Ballroom
* 1.6 Band, Substratus, Sump Body @ Cake Shop (Early Show)
* Church and State, US VS, Chocolate Boy, Rebecca Pearl @ Glasslands
* Smoking Popes, Logosi @ Knitting Factory Brooklyn (Northside Festival)
* Grooms, The Wailing Wall, Data Dog, Second Floor Stories @ Silent Barn
* The Prids, Me You Us Them. Appomattox, Soft Tags @ Cake Shop (Late Show)
* The Depreciation Guild, Magic Man, Dream Diary, Soren Well @ Mercury Lounge
* Les Savy Fav, Polvo, Grails @ Newtown Barge Park (Late Show)(Northside Festival)
* Milagres, The Press, Shark?, Gray Young @ Matchless (Early Show)(Northside Festival)
* My Teenage Spride, The Shivers, Holiday Holiday @ Cameo Gallery (Northside Festival)
* The Wave Pictures, Young Mammals, Darlings @ Public Assembly (Late Show)(Northside Festival)
Palmyra, The Long Eye, Ribbons @ Public Assembly (Late Show)(Northside Festival - Back Room)
* Elvis Perkins in Dearland, AA Bondy, Arms @ Newtown Barge Park (Early Show)(Northside Festival)
* Islands, Steel Phantoms, Active Child, TV Carnage @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (Northside Festival)
* Oberhofer, Forest Fire, PS I Love You, Boy Without God @ Matchless (Late Show)(Northside Festival)
* Dark Dark Dark, Arches, Vandaveer, Callers, Annie and the Beekeepers @ Zebulon (Northside Festival)
* Afro-Punk Fest w/ Mos Def, 24-7 Spyz, The Cool Kids, K-OS, The Memorials, more @ Commodore Barry Park
* Keepaway, Hooray For Earth, Restless People, Glass Ghost, The * Babies @ Brooklyn Bowl (Northside Festival)
* The Loom, Baby Brainwaves, We Are Country Mice, Grandchildren, Brian Miltenberg @ Spike Hill (Northside Festival)
* The Canon Logic, Jody Porter, Harper Blynn, The Art of Shooting, Madison Square Gardeners @ Public Assembly (Early Show)(Northside Festival)
* North Highlands, The Luyas, Gray Goods (Northside Festival - BrooklynVegan's This Week in Indie/Sound Bites present) @ Coco 66
Today is the NYC Gay Pride Parade.
The Northside Festival concludes today.
The March: 5th Avenue & 52nd St. to Christopher & Greenwich St. Sunday, June 28th, 2009, Noon - End
photos by Darren Kim
"Living Thing," [Peter Bjorn and John's] newest album, doesn't simplify things, as it's even more beat-driven and production-skewed than earlier work. However, the boom-bap-driven "Nothing to Worry About" is a fine single, and it got a chirping assist from pop tart countrywoman Robyn. It's no wonder they've backed up Kanye West: the band can steer a minimalist drum loop in many winning directions.The above review refers to Peter Bjorn and John's set at Coachella over the weekend. Both Robyn and Lykke Li joined them on stage. Lykke Li also played her own set. That's where the pictures in this post come from.
But as worthy an effort as the "Living Thing" cuts were, the difference between them and the more straightforward indie-pop was palpable. "Up Against the Wall" and "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off" brimmed with effervescent distortion and steely good hooks that stood on their own with fine and creative drumming from John Eriksson. Comely wraith Lykke Li had a loose but endearing turn in the "Young Folks" duet, but the set mostly underscored how a band at the height of its creative powers can still be untangling the best ways to use them. [LA Times]
No stranger to NYC, Sweden's Lykke Li will be back in town again on June 1st to play a show at Highline Ballroom. But not just any show...
B.B. King Blues Club, The Highline Ballroom and Josh Wood Productions proudly announce the first annual Summerwood music series, beginning June 1st at The Highline Ballroom. Summerwood's GLBT and GLBT-friendly artists represent a selection of nuanced, diverse and talented performers that eschew the standard tropes of the mainstream. Summerwood's genre-blind line-up includes a mix of legendary musicians, up-and-coming names and emerging stars.This won't be the first time Lykke Li played a Josh Wood show either. This one is much more expensive though. Tickets are on sale and cost $35 before charges
The complete list of Summerwood shows is listed below, but it also includes the previousy-announced Amanda Palmer (who also played Coachella) show happening at Highline on June 5th (the Lisps are opening) (tickets are on sale).
All dates, more pictures & the Summerwood schedule, below...
Capital Pride Parade - June 14, 2008 (cred)
In unrelated news, "Bonnaroo attendance down slightly". Check out some videos of Broken Social Scene playing Bonnaroo (which just happened this past weekend in Tennessee) below...
The Renegade Craft Fair is a two day event that takes over McCarren Pool this weekend. Brooklyn Pride is a festival along Prospect Park followed by a parade on 7th Ave in Park Slope. While in that area, you can catch DJ Kool Herc on the steps of the Brooklyn library at Grand Army Plaza and catch the free evening show at the bandshell. These events and more in the free event calendar.
2007 Mermaid Parade, NYC - June 23, 2007 (CRED)
2007 Pride Parade, NYC - June 24, 2007 (CRED)
I missed two of my favorite parades this weekend. Saturday I had to take care of something that ended up taking all day, and Sunday I just stuck with McCarren Pool. Good thing there's Flickr. More Mermaid Parade pics HERE. More Pride Parade pics HERE.
Team Dresch @ The Rotunda in Philly - June 21, 2007 (CRED)
* March in the NYC Gay Pride Parade this Sunday
* Shepard Fairey is exhbiting art
* Team Dresch is playing two shows this weekend
* The Violent Femmes pass through town
* Yo Majesty is at Studio B late night (tix)
* The Mermaid Parade is this weekend
* Panda Bear returns to Bowery Ballroom
* Glenn Mercer plays his Maxwell's date
* There's Canadians like Sloan @ Summerstage
* There's comedy @ Central Park Summerstage too
* There's comedy happening everywhere even
* The East River Music Project kicks things off
* McCarren Park hosts Superchunk and friends
* Extra Action Marching Band is @ Knitting Factory Friday & Saturday
Listen to more Extra Action Marching Band @ MySpace