Entries tagged with: Giorgio Moroder
the new issues of Rolling Stone...
Red Bull Music Academy, who hosts DFA's 12th Anniversary party this weekend, hosted Giorgio Moroder's 1st-ever live DJ set at Output in Brooklyn the other night. If you missed it (the live event or the stream we posted yesterday), you can listen to the whole thing.
When you're done with that, listen to his collaboration with Daft Punk "Giorgio by Moroder", and then check out the song that didn't make the new Daft Punk album in the USA, but is out in Japan and of course on the internet.
And speaking of Daft Punk collaborators, an encore presentation of "Andrew the Pizza Guy" below...
Total Control @ FFF Fest 2011 (more by Fred Pessaro)
Chain & the Gang @ Secret Project Robot 2011 (more by Harriet Roberts)
today in NYC
* Anciients, Family @ Saint Vitus
* Sua, Advaeta @ Cameo Gallery
* Will McEvoy's Mutsam @ Barbes
* Joshua Radin @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Amaan & Ayaan Ali Khan @ Joe's Pub
* The Mandingo Ambassadors @ Barbes
* The Westerlies Play Horvitz @ The Stone
* Lydia Ainsworth, Solar Year @ Cake Shop
* Brother Tiger, pacificUV @ The Rock Shop
* Big Terrific Comedy Show @ Cameo Gallery
* So So Glos, Pedico @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Stalley, Riff Raff, Smoke DZA, DJ Getlive @ Coco 66
* Korn, Device, Love and Death @ The Wellmont Theatre
* Rotten Sound, Hellshock, Kromosom, Nomad @ Acheron
* yMusic, Amanda Holley, Dan Mills @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Of Montreal, The Wild Moccasins @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Royal Bangs, We Are The Wilderness, Blue & Red @ Glasslands
* Grand Resort, BOYTOY, Orca Orca, HOUNDSds @ Shea Stadium
* Eat Skull, PC Worship, Vaz, Call Of The Wild, LODRO @ 285 Kent
* Total Control, Pop. 1280. Night Sins, Sleepies @ Mercury Lounge
* Lindsey Luff, Mariko, Natural Stranger, DJ Nick Louis @ Spike Hill
* Big Ups, Low Fat Getting High, Radical Dads, Miniboone @ Big Snow
* The Johns, Turner Cody, Prewar Yardsale, Little Cobweb @ Muchmore's
* Phone Home, Slander, The Can't Tells, Relations, Josh Lewin @ Pianos
* Wayne Horvitz and the Royal Room Collective Music Ensemble @ The Stone
* Andre Nickatina, Roach Gigz, Mumbls, DJ Thanksgiving Brown @ Santos Party House
* Morrissey Birthday Celebrations w/ The Sons & Heirs, DJ Matt Heart Spade @ The Bell House
* The Stepkids, King Holliday, Every Flavor Weather Machine, Massively Epic, AK 47 @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Mick Barr, Deblase, Kwartowitz Trio, Pet Bottle Ningen, Detrop, Brown Wing Overdrive @ Silent Barn
* Dizzy Wright, Nitty Scott, Tijon, Rayshawn Bedell, Andy Pop, Baghdad Flow @ Marlin Room at Webster Hall
* NOTHING CHANGES w/ Craow, Outmode, Haves & Thirds @ Home Sweet Home
* Chain and the Gang, Arrington de Dionyso's Malaikat dan Singa, Calvin Johnson, Erin Earthling @ Ran Tea House
* Mannie Fresh, Boi-1da, Young Chop. J.U.S.T.I.C.E League, Bangladesh, DJ Mustard, Drumma Boy @ Knitting Factory
* Stones Fest w/ Norah Jones, Patrick Carney (of The Black Keys), Jason Isbell, Butch Walker & Black Widows, Delta Spirit, Cory Chisel, Johnny T, Adam Green @ Bowery Ballroom
Today is Morrissey's birthday and the former Smiths singer turns 54. NYC can celebrate tonight at The Bell House who has skilled tribute band The Sons & Heirs playing. Happy Birthday, Moz! Stream a thematically appropriate Smiths song below.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Goodie Mob released a new song, "Special Education," which features fellow Dungeon Family member Janelle Monae. Check it out below. Goodie Mob (and Cee-Lo solo) will be playing Barclays Center this month and they have a new album on the way.
"Tonight was a blast. @OutputClubBK has such a dope soundsystem. @GIORGIOMORODER_ truly "pushed it to the limit". Everybody "felt love"" - @alcalala_
"Tonight was special. Few times in my life will i get to feel that way. Thank you @GIORGIOMORODER_ @RBMA @OutputClubBK" - Sean Glass
"No words for how unbelievable @GIORGIOMORODER_ was tonight. Thank you @RBMA & @OutputClubBK!" - Kathryn McGinnis
"The legendary Giorgio Moroder just rocked quite possible the most supremely epic and booty-shaking set" - Andy Gensler
Giorgio Moroder @ Output (via @sparber)
Dance music legend and Donna Summer producer Giorgio Moroder, who recently released a new song and contributed to the new Daft Punk album, came to Williamsburg club Output last night (5/20) for his first-ever NYC DJ appearance, as part of the Red Bull Music Academy NYC residency. He took the stage just after midnight (so technically 5/21, just as the Daft Punk album was officially released) and, with DJ Chris Cox, played until about 1:45 AM.
Singer/songwriter Diane Birch was in attendance and she said it was "her and a bunch of dudes" (or MoBROders), and also that it "may have been the sickest thing [she's] ever seen." Were you there? If so, what did you think?
Some more instagrams, a short video, and a vine from the show below...
by Andrew Sacher
Could there have been a more perfect moment for an epic documentary on Giorgio Moroder? The man who, according to the show's very starry (and very generous) presenter Niles Rodgers, invented dance music? On the night that Daft Punk's fourth studio album finally launched, with fitting audacity at the top of the Shard, Radio 2 put out Electric Dreams: The Giorgio Moroder Story, the most enjoyable music documentary I've heard this year. Snippets of recent Daft Punk collaborator Moroder, 73, talking about his life were tacked over some of the best music made in the last century: I Feel Love, Together In Electric Dreams, Now I Need You. In between came New Order's Bernard Sumner, Debbie Harry, Sparks and more, colouring in the detail of what Moroder's music has meant. [The Guardian]The above quote is from The Guardian's review of of the new audio documentary on dance music legend Giorgio Moroder that BBC Radio 2 recently put out, Electric Dreams: The Giorgio Moroder Story. The documentary premiered on May 13, and as of this post, and you can listen to Part 1 below.
Today's a good day to check it out if you haven't yet, because as mentioned, Giorgio will be in NYC TONIGHT (5/20) at Output in Williamsburg to DJ a Deep Space party with T. Williams, Benjamin Damage, and Francois K. The show is part of the Red Bull Music Academy NYC residency and it's Giorgio's first-ever NYC DJ appearance. Tickets still appear sold out, but as discussed, "a very limited number of tickets will be available at the door."
As you probably know, Giorgio is one of the many famous collaborators on Daft Punk's colossal new album, Random Access Memories (which is out this week, 5/21). You can hear him talking about his life of music on that song "Giorgio by Moroder" before it turns into a ridiculous dance jam. If you haven't heard the 9+ minute track yet, you can stream it below.
Giorgio also just released his own new song, "Racer," which is the soundtrack to a new Google Chrome video game of the same name. It's similarly dancey to "Giorgio by Moroder" and fans of RAM (or video game music) should dig it. You can check that out below too.
In related news, fellow Daft Punk collaborator Todd Edwards just made an Essential Mix for BBC Radio 1 which you can listen to HERE.
Song streams below...
"As most of you probably already know, Daft Punk's album was officially released for streaming purposes on iTunes. However, the official album in its physical (or more than likely downloadable) form won't be here until May 21 and there's hype to be built. That's why Daft Punk is gracing the cover of Dazed and Confused and posing with Giorgio Moroder in these stunning black and white photos.
Giorgio Moroder is an electronic music pioneer whom the duo worked with on their documentary/homage/epic track "Giorgio by Moroder" on Random Access Memories.
He is influential in the genre of disco as we know it today, which explains why Daft Punk would want to pay homage to him on this, their disco-iest album to date.
The covers and images were taken by Hedi Simane and will be featured in the June issue of Dazed and Confused which hits stands May 15." [MSTARS]
Possibly one of the hardest Red Bull Music Academy NYC events to get a ticket to is/was Giorgio Moroder at Cielo (a Deep Space night with resident DJ François K and Academy participants T.Williams and Benjamin Damage also on the bill). Luckily Red Bull felt bad about about that and moved the 5/20 show to the bigger Output in Williamsburg. Tickets are still listed as sold out at the moment, but we heard they'll be releasing some more soon, and "A very limited number of tickets will be available at the door.". Good luck.
Check out a video about Daft Punk's collaboration with Giorgio, if you haven't seen it already, below...
Daft Punk are making a comeback this year with Random Access Memories (due out 5/21 via Columbia imprint Daft Life Limited), their first album since 2005's Human After All. They haven't revealed any full tracks from it yet, but from those two 15 second clips, we basically already know that we love it. Unfortunately, we New Yorkers never get a chance to see them. All they seem to do these days is pop up at Phoenix shows (but not last Friday's show), and then that secret show at 285 Kent turned out to be an April Fool's joke. Who knew?!
Luckily, we will get a chance to see the eight piece Daft Punk Tribute Band, imported from Toronto, who play NYC on July 3 at Highline Ballroom. What's more, we even know what time they go on (10 PM). Reportledly, these guys "have been melting faces and liquifying dancefloors with sold out shows at the most prestigious clubs and concert halls across Canada" since 2009. We can't wait to get our faces melted, Canadian style, in NYC. Tickets for that show are on sale now.
In terms of the real Daft Punk, the rumored tracklist of their new album features appearances by Julian Casablanacas, Giorgio Moroder, Pharrell, DJ Falcon, Todd "The God" Edwards (who sang on Discovery), and Paul Jackson Jr. (who played guitar for Michael Jackson), in addition to previously announced guests, Nile Rodgers, Paul Williams, and Panda Bear.
Like Giorgio Moroder just did, Todd Edwards also discussed the new album in a video interview, which you can watch, along with a live video and check out the full rumored collaborators list, below.
Purling Hiss @ Bowery Ballroom, 2011 (more by Toby Tenenbaum)
today in NYC
* Lady @ Joe's Pub
* Evergreen @ BAM
* C2C @ Irving Plaza
* Cage Match NYC @ UCB
* Gad Elmaleh @ City Winery
* Rachelle Garniez @ Barbes
* Rewards (DJ) @ Ace Hotel
* Jan Bell & The Maybelles @ Barbes
* Matt Shipp and Rob Brown @ The Stone
* Fol Chen, Valleys, Softspot @ Glasslands
* Frightened Rabbit, Wintersleep @ Terminal 5
* Soldisco, Nick Hook, Vails, Alex English @ WIP
* Clint Mansell @ Church of St. Paul The Apostle
* Matt Shipp and Steve Dalachinsky @ The Stone
* Meat Puppets, The World Takes @ Mercury Lounge
* Juan Maclean, Tim Sweeney, Dan Wender @ Output
* Purling Hiss, SpacinŐ, Axis:sovA, mancontrol @ 285 Kent
* Carolina Chocolate Drops, Bombadill @ Bowery Ballroom
* See Through, Reputante, The Midnight Hollow @ Union Pool
* Jaill, Wild Yaks, Las Rosas, Pop Zeus @ The Knitting Factory
* Zebu, The Great Valley, Omnivore, Big French @ Shea Stadium
* Reverend Horton Heat, Continental @ Rocks Off Concert Cruises
* Slingshot Dakota, The Marine Electric, Koji, Cutters @ Muchmore's
* Phil Andrews and Richard Semegram (covering Beck) @ Silent Barn
* Ice Cream, Animal Tropical, The Roulettes, ClaireŐs Diary @ Big Snow
* Ocrilim (Mick Barr or Orthrelm), Psalm Zero, Geryon @ Bowery Electric
* Robin Zander (of Cheap Trick), Randy Jackson (of Zebra) @ B.B. King's
* Frances Cone, Yokel & the Heavyweights, Such Hounds @ Cameo Gallery
* Alex Metric (DJ Set), Goldroom, Little Daylight, Lovelife @ Santos Party House
* The Goddamn Gallows, American Speedway, Tombstone Brawlers @ Maxwell's
* 'Bananazzz' screening, Nuclear Santa Claust, 3Jane, Lilith Vector @ Death By Audio
* Andrea Tomasi, Jason Anderson, John Craigie & Leigh Jones @ Pete's Candy Store
* Wilsen, Jesse Elliot, The Hollows, Alexandra Stewart, You Won't @ Rockwood Music Hall
* People's Champs, The Shoe Ins, Lips, Hungry Hands, Baby Boy, Silas Fermoy, Afeefa & The Boy @ Pianos
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Ever wonder what Weird Al and Huey Lewis thought of Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho or its subsequent film adaptation starring Christian Bale? Find out in a video you can watch below.
In conjunction with the release of their new album, Random Access Memories, Daft Punk are releasing a series of web videos talking with their collaborators on the record. First up: electro pioneer Giorgio Moroder, whose single "I Feel Love" with Donna Summer is an electronic dance music touchstone. He'll be in NYC next month DJing as part of Red Bull Music Academy. Meanwhile, watch the video below.
Andy Stott/Lee "Scratch" Perry
As mentioned, tickets went on sale today for the previously announced Red Bull Music Academy events, which take over NYC from April 28 to May 31. And now that those are on sale, the rest of the lineup has been announced. In addition to the newly-added Flying Lotus show at Terminal 5, the Red Bull Music Academy events now also include...
A Bunker party with Andy Stott, Atom TM, Objekt, Octo Octa, Kloke, Smax, Bryan Kasenic, and Mike Servito at Public Assembly on May 4; Blondes, Mike Simonetti, Rudi Zygadlo, Astroboyz, CABAAL, Ale Hop, Yodashe, Harald Bjork, Alitrec, Mungo Park, Seretan, and Ada Kaleh at Cameo on May 6; and Le1f, Laurel Halo, Venus-X, and a secret guest at Glasslands on May 7.
Still more: Metro Area, Gerd Janson, and Bok Bok b2b L-Vis 1990 at 88 Palace on May 10; 'Drum Majors' with Mannie Fresh, Boi-1da, Young Chop, J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League, Bangaldesh, DJ Mustard, and Drumma Boy at Knitting Factory on May 22; Afrika Bambaataa, Egyptian Lover, DJ Magic Mike, DJ Assault, DJ Funk, Scottie B, DJ Rashad & DJ Spinn, Big Freedia, Salva, Drop the Lime, and Branko & Krampfhaft at Santos on May 23; as well as Skream, Mala, and Plasitician & Hatcha on May 24 at Can Factory (232 3rd St in Brooklyn).
And even more: Oneohtrix Point Never, BIll Kouligas, Evian Christ, Kid Simpl, and ANNALOVE at Saint Vitus on May 26; Benji B, FaltyDL, Dorian Concept, Orquesta, and Somepoe at Sullivan Room on May 27; Pantha Du Prince & the Bell Laboratory with Louis Baker and Anya Kuts at West Park Church on May 28; a killer night of dub with legends Lee Perry & Adrian Sherwood, The Congos vs Sun Araw, M. Geddes Gengras, and the Raw Power Band, Peaking Lights In A Dub Style vs Future Times, and DJ Slow at Le Poisson Rouge on May 30.
Tickets for all events are on sale now.
These join the previously announced shows, talks, and other events with James Murphy, Brian Eno, Giorgio Moroder, Tony Visconti, Nile Rodgers, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Four Tet, A-Trak, Just Blaze, and more. Flyer with the updated, show-by-show lineup is below...
by Andrew Sacher
Francois K.'s weekly dance party, Deep Space, which takes place Mondays at Cielo (18 Little West 12th St.) is celebrating its tenth anniversary this year, and to celebrate, he's throwing an anniversary party on March 18 with Hotflush label head Scuba. Tickets for that party are on sale now. The party is part of Scuba's upcoming international tour, which begins in Italy this Friday (3/8). All dates on that tour are listed, along with a Spotify stream of Scuba's strong bass-heavy 2012 album, Personality, below.
Other upcoming Deep Space parties this month include tonight's (3/4) with Infinity, followed by Francois K DJing all night on March 11, and one with Dub Gabriel on March 25. There's also a few other parties already announced for upcoming months, including V.I.V.E.K. on April 22, and the previously mentioned Giorgio Moroder DJ set (his first in NYC ever) on May 20 as part of the Red Bull Music Academy series. Tickets for all upcoming Deep Space shows are on sale. The flyer for the anniversary party and a general flyer for the upcoming schedule are below.
In related news, the same day Scuba plays Deep Space (March 18), his label, Hotflush, is releasing the new single by George FitzGerald, "Thinking of You," which you can stream below.
All Scuba dates are listed, along with all song streams and show flyers, below...
James Murphy on SS Coachella 2012 (more by Greg Cristman)
LCD Soundsystem/DFA Records man James Murphy is suing Tim Goldsworthy, who he formed DFA with in 2001, but who moved out of New York to the UK three years ago...
In a lawsuit, DFA accuses Goldsworthy of failing to perform services he was paid for, owing outstanding loans, improperly using the company credit card and making unauthorized withdrawals from its bank accounts.In related news, tickets for James Murphy's DFA Records 12th anniversary party with DJ sets from him, The Rapture, YACHT, Black DIce, Juan Maclean, and so many more, are on sale now. The event is one of many upcoming Red Bull Music Academy events happening in NYC. Other RBMA events are on sale too, including Brian Eno's "illustrated talk", Four Tet at Webster Hall, A-Trak, Just Blaze, and others at Roseland, Giorgio Moroder, and many more.
The lawsuit, filed Friday in Manhattan Civil Supreme Court, says that "attempts to amicably resolve this matter were rebuffed" by Goldsworthy. It also accuses the producer of "breach of contract" and "unjust enrichment."
Goldsworthy owes a total of $93,899, according to DFA. The label, which has a studio in Greenwich Village and boasts such acts as Holy Ghost!, also seeks punitive damages and legal fees. [DNA Info]
The Red Bull Music Academy is coming to NYC from April 28 to May 31 which will include over 30 events ranging from live concerts and club nights to A/V installations, film screenings and public conversations with big names. Some of those names were recently announced. Details are not complete and tickets to all the shows below go on sale Monday, March 4 at 10 AM.
Perhaps most exciting of these events will be the NYC premiere of Brian Eno's audio-visual installation 77 Million Paintings which is generative software that creates morphing patterns and images. The installation, which be be at Cafe Rouge, will also features an "illustrated talk" on May 6.
James Murphy will head a nine-hour, multiroom show at Grand Prospect Hall in Brooklyn on May 29 as part of DFA's 12th Anniversary celebration. The event will feature 15 live acts and DJs from throughout the label's history. Look for a short documentary, 12 Years of DFA: Too Old To Be New, Too New To Be Classic, to premiere around the same time.
Also part of it will be Four Tet + friends at Webster Hall on May 8. Four Tet, who just released odds-n-sods album 0181 as a free download (stream it below) is celebrating the 10th anniversary of his landmark 2003 album, Rounds, this year with a deluxe resissue due out on Domino in May.
Still more. RBMA will also host the first NYC edition of London party Culture Clash on May 9. The "unique celebration of sound system culture" will feature sets by Max Glazer, A-Trak, Nick Catchdubs, Young Guru, Just Blaze, and Que Bajo?!.
There's also "Drone Activity in Progress" which will happen at the Knockdown Center on May 2, featuring Stephen O'Malley of Sunn O))), Prurient, Alan Licht, and Body/Head (aka Kim Gordon and Bill Nace).
Other events including electronic music legend Giorgio Moroder in his first NYC DJ appearance; a talk with Bowie producers Tony Visconti and Nile Rodgers (maybe Eno will swing by?); Ryuichi Sakamoto and more to be announced. More info on RBMA is here.