Entries tagged with: Gogol Bordello
Photos by Kyle Dean Reinford
If you pay attention to the NYC weekly papers, you probably already noticed that this week offers both The Best of 2008 Voice issue AND the music issue of the NY Press - complete with a big picture of Gogol Bordello on the cover and a list of their choice for the top 20 (NYC?) bands. If you can't pick them up, most or all of the content is available behind those links (thank you to anyone that voted for BV for best blog). And if you count the CMJ/Vivian Girls interview issue of L Magazine, it is a good week for free papers this week.
Speaking of Gogol Bordello, they have a bunch of shows coming up and Kyle the took the below pictures of them at this year's Austin City Limits Festival....
Gogol Bordello @ McCarren Pool (more by Leia Jospe)
Gogol Bordello @ Coachella 2008 (more by Ryan Muir)
by BrooklynVegan Mike
Day 1, Day 2....
The Go! Team @ Osheaga (Doùdoù)
It is an open secret that the Osheaga festival is on shaky ground. It is rumored that the festival lost money the last two years. This year was make or break. When I spoke with somebody connected with the festival, he commented that they really only need one big day to turn it around and come back next year. With a combination of big names (Jack Johnson, Broken Social Scene, The Weakerthans) and a string of artists with a rep for killer live performances (MGMT, The Go! Team, Gogol Bordello), Osheaga organizers seemingly set Day 2 (Monday August 4) as that day....
photos by Leia Jospe
Drum Machines Have No Soul
More pictures from Friday night's Gogol Bordello show (June 20, 2008) below....
photos by Ryan Muir
Coachella holds many, many thousand. Well imagine Gogol Bordello's normally explosive energy amplified by hundreds. Stifling heat, a relatively meager Sunday turnout, daylight and what seemed like about 10 intrusive video cameras did not slow down Eugene Hutz and crew. He shook, shimmied, high-kicked, guzzled wine, shouted and belted while his fellow lithe female cheerleader/percussionists also demanded the audience's attention. And they got it. Couples danced, thick-necked dudes who had never heard of the band jumped and screamed at the tops of their lungs and every spectator that wasn't bouncing held up a digital camera to capture the moment.Tickets are still on sale for Gogol Bordello's upcoming show at McCarren Pool.
They came, they saw, the conquered. Would we expect anything less? [Arizona Daily Star]
More Coachella pictures below...
Coachella, April 25-27 in Indio, CA
The entire three-day festival lineup with set times can be found HERE.
A good reason to visit Philadelphia in June. Tickets are on sale. Info below...
Gogol Bordello @ The Leeds Festival 2006 (Guy Eppel)
* RIP Mike Smith
* M.O.D. is playing Europa
* Escort is playing Southpaw
* The Red Chord @ Blender
* High Places now at Silent Barn
* Jim White speaks @ Housing Works
* Headlights & Evangelicals play Union Hall
* Dean & Britta & Keren Ann play Music Hall OW
* Oneida, Company & Oakley Hall play Knitting Factory
* Le Castle Vania & Purple Crush are @ Death By Audio
* Priestbird, Matteah Baim, & Durty Nanas play Union Pool
* St Vincent, Foreign Born & Basia Bulat play Bowery Ballroom
* DJ Jazzy Jeff & DJ Dirty Fingers @ American Museum of Natural History
* Bowerbirds, Phosphorescent, The Acorn & Pepi Ginsberg play Mercury Lounge
VICE went bowling with Mastodon at Melody Lanes. Video below. What else?
Madonna poses with Ukrainian actor Eugene Hutz, left, and actress Holly Weston, right, during a photo call for the movie 'Filth And Wisdom' at the International Film Festival Berlinale in Berlin, Germany, Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2008. The 58th International Film Festival, Berlinale, takes place from Feb. 7 to Feb. 17, 2008.Eugene Hutz wants you to be an actor too.
Last time we saw Gogol Bordello and Madonna together was at Live Earth in 2007. That video below...
Mr. Brownstone, Patti Smith, Les Savy Fav, The Virgins, Earl Greyhound, The Dresden Dolls, Dean & Britta, and a few others were all part of my first big 'New Years Eve in NYC' rundown this year. Then came news about Gogol Bordello, Dirty Projectors and Nellie McKay. We even heard about Velvet Revolver (which has since been reduced in price) and Chris Rock (which since had Jill Scott added to the bill). Here are some more NYC choices:
- Studio B New Year's Eve Celebration featuring Slick Rick the Ruler, Moby, Frankie Bones , Kudu, Holy Ghost!, Jacques Renault, The Bangers, Eamon Harkin - only $20.
- "What happens when you cross NYC's top burlesque night with a monster New Years Eve dance party? Burlesque + Discoteque = BURLESQUE - O - TEQUE!" @ Galapagos - tickets are on sale.
- "NYE Official Radiohead Album Release Party with Young Love, 33HZ and VHS or Beta Deejays" - tickets are very expensive and so are drinks @ Hiro Ballroom.
- DJ XXXchange from Spank Rock is playing at the Annex
- The Y2k8 Dance Party @ Silent Barn is all ages and will have free Sparks and is only $5.00 to get in - 6 live acts and/or DJs, presented by Famous Friends & Big Stereo.
- A Place To Bury Strangers is playing the RATED-X & TRASH! New Years Eve Extravaganza at Don Hill's (sort of this year's Motherf*cker party since there isn't Motherf*cker anymore)
WIN STUFF: I have one pair of tickets to give away to Mr. Brownstone, and another pair for Nellie McKay, and I still never gave away that pair to the Dirty Projectors, AND I have two DVD copies of The Ten to send out as well. The Ten is related to The State. More details on all of this below.....
1. M.I.A.: Kala (Interscope)Robert Christgau's entire Best of 2007 list can be found at Slate. Gogol Bordello can be found at Terminal 5 in NYC on New Years Eve. I'm giving away a pair of tickets. To win, email BVCONTESTS@HOTMAIL.COM (subject: Gogol). Include your first and last name and your favorite album of the year. I'll pick one winner at random and contact them.
2. Gogol Bordello: Super Taranta! (Side One Dummy)
3. Tabu Ley Rochereau: The Voice of Lightness (Stern's Africa)
4. Arcade Fire: Neon Bible (Merge)
5. Lucinda Williams: West (Lost Highway)
6. Miranda Lambert: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (Sony/BMG Nashville)
7. Rilo Kiley: Under the Black Light (Warner Bros.)
8. Lily Allen: Alright, Still (Capitol)
9. Fountains of Wayne: Traffic and Weather (Virgin)
10. Against Me!: New Wave (Sire)
I never go to a show on New Years Eve, but all the options this year might finally change that. The latest worthwhile choice: Gogol Bordello at Terminal 5. Then again, tickets are $45, and I'm not sure if that includes anything besides a performace by GB.
Not necessarily worthwhile, but Velvet Revolver is playing Hammerstein Ballroom that night too (we New Yorkers are more forgiving than Japan). Tickets are like $100! Gogol Bordello suddenly looks like a bargain.
Gogol Bordello @ Terminal 5, NYC - Nov 3, 2007 (cred - Rebecca Smeyne)
An in-demand actor — he starred in the film adaptation of Everything is Illuminated and plays a semi-fictionalized version of himself in Madonna's forthcoming directorial debut Filth and Wisdom — Hutz has charisma to burn, which he did with the public debut of his new persona, his female alter ego, a sort of she-devil in a long red wig and orange spike heels. It's a side of himself he explores in the Madonna movie, and one Hutz fans can only hope is a passing phase. It looks all wrong with his handlebar mustache. [NY Magazine]
Last time I saw Gogol Bordello in NYC, was at Irving Plaza. Last time I saw Gogol Bordello anywhere, was in Norway. Both shows were great, and in Norway I took a bunch of pictures which I'll post some time before I die hopefully. In the meantime, here's one of my favorites:
Gogol Bordello played two shows at the Fillmore Irving Plaza in NYC this past weekend, and Friday night (July 20, 2007) I missed Battles and Neko Case to see one of them. It's been said before, and I'll say it again - they really are one of the best live bands touring today - especially for those who like to jump around and dance a lot...
I went Friday, but Jefferson the photographer who took the photos in this post went Saturday, so that's the show you're seeing in these pictures....
Stream Gogol Bordello's new album Super Taranta (out since July 10) @ MySpace, and if you already have a ticket, see them once or twice this weekend at Irving Plaza. Stream the show they played on Wednesday @ NPR. New video, and their latest tour dates below....
Titian. Gypsy Madonna. c.1512. Oil on wood.
Eugene Hutz and Sergey Ryabtsev from Gypsy Punk band GOGOL BORDELLO have confirmed that they have accepted an invitation from Madonna to guest on stage with her during her headline set at the Live Earth event this Saturday 7th July 2007 at Wembley Stadium in London.Continued below...
Lily Allen & Jagermeister
David Cross & ?uestlove