Entries tagged with: Gogol Bordello
Mr. Brownstone, Patti Smith, Les Savy Fav, The Virgins, Earl Greyhound, The Dresden Dolls, Dean & Britta, and a few others were all part of my first big 'New Years Eve in NYC' rundown this year. Then came news about Gogol Bordello, Dirty Projectors and Nellie McKay. We even heard about Velvet Revolver (which has since been reduced in price) and Chris Rock (which since had Jill Scott added to the bill). Here are some more NYC choices:
- Studio B New Year's Eve Celebration featuring Slick Rick the Ruler, Moby, Frankie Bones , Kudu, Holy Ghost!, Jacques Renault, The Bangers, Eamon Harkin - only $20.
- "What happens when you cross NYC's top burlesque night with a monster New Years Eve dance party? Burlesque + Discoteque = BURLESQUE - O - TEQUE!" @ Galapagos - tickets are on sale.
- "NYE Official Radiohead Album Release Party with Young Love, 33HZ and VHS or Beta Deejays" - tickets are very expensive and so are drinks @ Hiro Ballroom.
- DJ XXXchange from Spank Rock is playing at the Annex
- The Y2k8 Dance Party @ Silent Barn is all ages and will have free Sparks and is only $5.00 to get in - 6 live acts and/or DJs, presented by Famous Friends & Big Stereo.
- A Place To Bury Strangers is playing the RATED-X & TRASH! New Years Eve Extravaganza at Don Hill's (sort of this year's Motherf*cker party since there isn't Motherf*cker anymore)
WIN STUFF: I have one pair of tickets to give away to Mr. Brownstone, and another pair for Nellie McKay, and I still never gave away that pair to the Dirty Projectors, AND I have two DVD copies of The Ten to send out as well. The Ten is related to The State. More details on all of this below.....
1. M.I.A.: Kala (Interscope)Robert Christgau's entire Best of 2007 list can be found at Slate. Gogol Bordello can be found at Terminal 5 in NYC on New Years Eve. I'm giving away a pair of tickets. To win, email BVCONTESTS@HOTMAIL.COM (subject: Gogol). Include your first and last name and your favorite album of the year. I'll pick one winner at random and contact them.
2. Gogol Bordello: Super Taranta! (Side One Dummy)
3. Tabu Ley Rochereau: The Voice of Lightness (Stern's Africa)
4. Arcade Fire: Neon Bible (Merge)
5. Lucinda Williams: West (Lost Highway)
6. Miranda Lambert: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (Sony/BMG Nashville)
7. Rilo Kiley: Under the Black Light (Warner Bros.)
8. Lily Allen: Alright, Still (Capitol)
9. Fountains of Wayne: Traffic and Weather (Virgin)
10. Against Me!: New Wave (Sire)
I never go to a show on New Years Eve, but all the options this year might finally change that. The latest worthwhile choice: Gogol Bordello at Terminal 5. Then again, tickets are $45, and I'm not sure if that includes anything besides a performace by GB.
Not necessarily worthwhile, but Velvet Revolver is playing Hammerstein Ballroom that night too (we New Yorkers are more forgiving than Japan). Tickets are like $100! Gogol Bordello suddenly looks like a bargain.
Gogol Bordello @ Terminal 5, NYC - Nov 3, 2007 (cred - Rebecca Smeyne)
An in-demand actor — he starred in the film adaptation of Everything is Illuminated and plays a semi-fictionalized version of himself in Madonna's forthcoming directorial debut Filth and Wisdom — Hutz has charisma to burn, which he did with the public debut of his new persona, his female alter ego, a sort of she-devil in a long red wig and orange spike heels. It's a side of himself he explores in the Madonna movie, and one Hutz fans can only hope is a passing phase. It looks all wrong with his handlebar mustache. [NY Magazine]
Last time I saw Gogol Bordello in NYC, was at Irving Plaza. Last time I saw Gogol Bordello anywhere, was in Norway. Both shows were great, and in Norway I took a bunch of pictures which I'll post some time before I die hopefully. In the meantime, here's one of my favorites:
Gogol Bordello played two shows at the Fillmore Irving Plaza in NYC this past weekend, and Friday night (July 20, 2007) I missed Battles and Neko Case to see one of them. It's been said before, and I'll say it again - they really are one of the best live bands touring today - especially for those who like to jump around and dance a lot...
I went Friday, but Jefferson the photographer who took the photos in this post went Saturday, so that's the show you're seeing in these pictures....
Stream Gogol Bordello's new album Super Taranta (out since July 10) @ MySpace, and if you already have a ticket, see them once or twice this weekend at Irving Plaza. Stream the show they played on Wednesday @ NPR. New video, and their latest tour dates below....
Titian. Gypsy Madonna. c.1512. Oil on wood.
Eugene Hutz and Sergey Ryabtsev from Gypsy Punk band GOGOL BORDELLO have confirmed that they have accepted an invitation from Madonna to guest on stage with her during her headline set at the Live Earth event this Saturday 7th July 2007 at Wembley Stadium in London.Continued below...
Lily Allen & Jagermeister
David Cross & ?uestlove
Gogol Bordello @ Pinkpop, May 27, 2007 (CRED)
GIRL TALK @ MERCURY LOUNGE, NYC | AUG 19. 2006 (MORE BY BAO)
Go here (thx all) to find out how to RSVP to a SPIN party at Hiro Ballroom in NYC on Monday December 18th that will have performances by Gogol Bordello, Cold War Kids AND Girl Talk (plus guest DJ Nick Zinner). It's a few days before Gogol plays Irving Plaza (which I heard is sold out). SPIN is also still collecting votes for their end of the year poll.
Cold War Kids have a couple shows coming up - strangely, all sold out immediately.