Entries tagged with: Goodie Mob
Atlanta hip hop legends Goodie Mob (Cee-Lo Green, Khujo, T-Mo, and Big Gipp), whose last trip to Brooklyn was part of a big show at Barclays Center, will be returning to the borough on their summer tour for a much smaller show happening on August 25 at Brooklyn Bowl. Support at that show comes from Drop City Yacht Club. Tickets to BBowl go on sale Monday (7/29) at noon. All tour dates are listed, along with the flyer for that show, below.
When we last spoke, Goodie Mob were saying their new album, Age Against the Machine, would be out on June 18. That didn't happen, but now they're saying it will be out August 27.
All dates are listed, along with a classic Goodie Mob video, below...
Total Control @ FFF Fest 2011 (more by Fred Pessaro)
Chain & the Gang @ Secret Project Robot 2011 (more by Harriet Roberts)
today in NYC
* Anciients, Family @ Saint Vitus
* Sua, Advaeta @ Cameo Gallery
* Will McEvoy's Mutsam @ Barbes
* Joshua Radin @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Amaan & Ayaan Ali Khan @ Joe's Pub
* The Mandingo Ambassadors @ Barbes
* The Westerlies Play Horvitz @ The Stone
* Lydia Ainsworth, Solar Year @ Cake Shop
* Brother Tiger, pacificUV @ The Rock Shop
* Big Terrific Comedy Show @ Cameo Gallery
* So So Glos, Pedico @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Stalley, Riff Raff, Smoke DZA, DJ Getlive @ Coco 66
* Korn, Device, Love and Death @ The Wellmont Theatre
* Rotten Sound, Hellshock, Kromosom, Nomad @ Acheron
* yMusic, Amanda Holley, Dan Mills @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Of Montreal, The Wild Moccasins @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Royal Bangs, We Are The Wilderness, Blue & Red @ Glasslands
* Grand Resort, BOYTOY, Orca Orca, HOUNDSds @ Shea Stadium
* Eat Skull, PC Worship, Vaz, Call Of The Wild, LODRO @ 285 Kent
* Total Control, Pop. 1280. Night Sins, Sleepies @ Mercury Lounge
* Lindsey Luff, Mariko, Natural Stranger, DJ Nick Louis @ Spike Hill
* Big Ups, Low Fat Getting High, Radical Dads, Miniboone @ Big Snow
* The Johns, Turner Cody, Prewar Yardsale, Little Cobweb @ Muchmore's
* Phone Home, Slander, The Can't Tells, Relations, Josh Lewin @ Pianos
* Wayne Horvitz and the Royal Room Collective Music Ensemble @ The Stone
* Andre Nickatina, Roach Gigz, Mumbls, DJ Thanksgiving Brown @ Santos Party House
* Morrissey Birthday Celebrations w/ The Sons & Heirs, DJ Matt Heart Spade @ The Bell House
* The Stepkids, King Holliday, Every Flavor Weather Machine, Massively Epic, AK 47 @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Mick Barr, Deblase, Kwartowitz Trio, Pet Bottle Ningen, Detrop, Brown Wing Overdrive @ Silent Barn
* Dizzy Wright, Nitty Scott, Tijon, Rayshawn Bedell, Andy Pop, Baghdad Flow @ Marlin Room at Webster Hall
* NOTHING CHANGES w/ Craow, Outmode, Haves & Thirds @ Home Sweet Home
* Chain and the Gang, Arrington de Dionyso's Malaikat dan Singa, Calvin Johnson, Erin Earthling @ Ran Tea House
* Mannie Fresh, Boi-1da, Young Chop. J.U.S.T.I.C.E League, Bangladesh, DJ Mustard, Drumma Boy @ Knitting Factory
* Stones Fest w/ Norah Jones, Patrick Carney (of The Black Keys), Jason Isbell, Butch Walker & Black Widows, Delta Spirit, Cory Chisel, Johnny T, Adam Green @ Bowery Ballroom
Today is Morrissey's birthday and the former Smiths singer turns 54. NYC can celebrate tonight at The Bell House who has skilled tribute band The Sons & Heirs playing. Happy Birthday, Moz! Stream a thematically appropriate Smiths song below.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Goodie Mob released a new song, "Special Education," which features fellow Dungeon Family member Janelle Monae. Check it out below. Goodie Mob (and Cee-Lo solo) will be playing Barclays Center this month and they have a new album on the way.
Cee Lo at Lollapalooza 2011 (more by David Andrako)
Cee Lo Green will be heading to Brooklyn this spring to headline the "Electric Soul Circus," which goes down on May 31 at Barclays Center. In addition to headlining, he'll also be performing with his rap group, Goodie Mob, and Busta Rhymes is on the bill too. Other acts performing include Sklyar Grey, Wordspit & the Illest, Lauriana Mae & the Pains, and Alexandra & the Starlight Band. Tickets for the show go on sale today (4/19) at noon.
Last summer, we mentioned that Goodie Mob are planning a new album called Age Against the Machine, and it's recently been announced that that album will be released on June 18. You can stream Goodie Mob's reunion single, "FIght to Win," along with a video of Cee Lo's performance on Ellen from Wednesday night (4/17), below.
by Andrew Sacher
Cee-Lo at Lollapalooza 2011 (more by Grant MacAllister)
You may be annoyed that Cee-Lo is on The Voice, or that his 2010 single, "Fuck You," popped up in your life one too many times (though the album it's from is actually quite solid), but we shouldn't forget Cee-Lo's rich history. That history includes playing in the landmark southern hip hop group Goodie Mob, who played a new song on The Voice earlier this year, which will presumably be on their reunion album, Age Against the Machine, which will be the first Goodie Mob album to feature Cee-Lo since 1999's World Party (release date TBA). He's also one half of the duo with Danger Mouse, Gnarls Barkley, who plan to record a third album soon.
Cee-Lo is touring this month, and that tour brings him to the NYC area for two NJ shows: Atlantic City's Boardwalk Hall on July 27 and East Rutherford's Izod Center on July 28. Tickets for the Atlantic City show are on sale and tickets for the Izod Center show go on sale Wednesday (7/11) at noon. If you do decide to catch one of these shows, be warned that Cee-Lo is opening for banal club rapper Flo Rida. B.O.B. is also on the Atlantic City show. After the tour ends, Cee-Lo has about a month off before beginning a huge residency in Las Vegas.
In addition to the new Goodie Mob and Gnarls Barkley albums, Cee-Lo is also working on a new solo album, titled Everybody's Brother. A list of all dates and a stream of Goodie Mob's new single, "Fight to Win," are below...
The Weeknd @ Coachella 2012 (more by Dana (distortion) Yavin)
today in NYC
* Arcila @ Barbes
* Tribeca Film Fest
* Rodriguez @ Joe's Pub
* Nick Lowe @ Town Hall
* Casey Veggies @ SOB's
* The Bacon Brothers @ City Winery
* We Are Scientists @ Brooklyn Bowl
* The Bad Plus @ The Blue Note
* Riza Printup, Rose Rutledge @ Drom
* Visuals, Wishes, LUSHES @ Union Pool
* Ryuichi Sakamoto, John Zorn @ The Stone
* Miike Snow, Penguin Prison @ Terminal 5
* The Weeknd @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Suzanne Vega, Duncan Sheik @ Highline Ballroom
* Racebannon, Zulus, The Marsh Hens @ Cake Shop
* Ryuichi Sakamoto and Mayo Yamaguchi Duo @ The Stone
* Weasel Walter, Xaddax, Muzz, Spookfish @ Shea Stadium
* Megafortress, Sister Crayon, New Moods, Tygerstrype @ Pianos
* Lissy Trullie, Blonds, ohnomoon, I Am Lightyear @ Mercury Lounge
* PO PO, Bikini, Lakutis, Dapwell from Das Racist (DJ set) @ Glasslands
* Firehorse, Kodacrome, Mieka Pauley, sami.the.great @ Knitting Factory
* Gary War, Forma, Ancient Ocean, Plexxur Dor @ Big Snow Buffalo Lodge
* Good Old War, The Belle Brigade, Family Of The Year @ Bowery Ballroom
* Johnny Colon & His Orchestra, Spanglish Fly, DJ Turmix @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Our Hit Parade starring Bridget Everett, Kenny Mellman and Neal Medlyn @ Joe's Pub
* Holy Ghost Tent Revival, Ball of Flame Shoot Fire, Gary B & Notions @ Rock Shop
* Alana Amram & The Rough Gems, The Black Swans, Zachary Cale, Jonathen Byerely @ Zebulon
* Mutwawa, Mincemeat Or Tenspeed, Dubknowdub, Dan Friel, Radio Shock, Brian Morsberger @ Death By Audio
The Weeknd made his live debut at Coachella, and unless he played a club show or two before/during/after that (did he?), tonight is his first club show and it's at Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn. How much did you pay for tour ticket?
Now maybe my mom, big fan of TV show The Voice, will realize that she should stop saying "I've always liked Cee Lo", since he existed way before he popped up on her rader, and some of that music he was making was in a group called the Goodie Mob who played a new song on... The Voice. I hope she caught it. If you missed it, you can watch below....
Goodie Mob on Fallon
So in one way, at least, it was 1995 again at B. B. King Blues Club & Grill on Friday night, when Goodie Mob arrived, following several years of fracture, as part of its reunion tour. Around 1:45 a.m., the 1980s New York hip-hop standout and nostalgia exploiter Slick Rick left the stage after his opening set; with him went about half the crowd.Goodie Mob's Friday night setlist included Cee-Lo performing his Gnarls Barkley hit "Crazy". One night earlier the group performed "Soul Food" on Fallon (backed by Fallon house band The Roots). Videos from both nights below...
And just as in 1995, all of those people missed out. Dressed in grays and silvers, with a female D.J. in a reflective tinsel wig and matching unitard, the Goodie Mob -- Cee-Lo, Big Gipp, T-Mo and Khujo -- were exuberant and comfortable, happily taking their rightful place as oft-overlooked pioneers. [NY Times]
DOWNLOAD: Idle Warship - Party Robot (Usershare link to ZIP)
Talib Kweli and his Blacksmith Music imprint are scheduled to celebrate the holidays the right way, with two turntables and a microphone! "The Night Before The Night Before Christmas" at Highline Ballroom on 12/23 will feature Jean Grae, Strong Arm Steady, and Soul Brother #1 Pete Rock. Tickets are on sale.
It's one of three shows that Kweli has lined up in the coming month, with the second being with his Idle Warship project at Southpaw on 11/28. Trezure The Empress, Jah C + The Antidote, and Niles get credited with the assist. Tickets are still available. Idle Warship recently dropped a new mixtape blessed by the great Mick Boogie. Download a copy of the mixtape, Party Robot, above in one of two mixtape covers. The first is above, the second is available at MySpace.
On the same day as the Highline show (12/23), just across town, BB King's will host the Hip Hop Legends show with Method Man, EPMD, Doug E Fresh, Large Professor, Onyx, AG (of Show & AG) and many more. Helluva old school lineup! Tickets are on sale. Rakim probably should be on that lineup, but instead he'll headline a show of his own at BB King's on 11/19 along with Rhymefest. Tickets here.
More imminently, Cee-Lo is taking some time away from Gnarls Barkley to return to his great (and somewhat unsung) Southern hip hop crew Goodie Mob, who are scheduled to play their reunion show at BB Kings on FRIDAY 11/13 with The Ruler Slick Rick (who'll have a live backing band!). Tickets are still available, and I have a PAIR OF TICKETS FOR GIVEAWAY. Details on how to win below with some videos, including a live video of Idle Warship from SOB's, below...
You know how Goodie Mob announced a reunion show at the massive Hammerstein Ballroom, well, not only was it moved to BB King's, it was combined with a Slick Rick show that was already happening there on that date. Tickets are on sale.
Goodie Mob (Big Gipp, Khujo, T-Mo, and Cee-Lo of recent Gnarls Barkley fame) recently reunited and are playing a headlining show at Hammerstein Ballroom on November 13th. Scarface, TECH N9NE and Slaughterhouse are also on the bill. Tickets are on sale.
Other upcoming shows at Hammerstein Ballroom that are on sale or going on sale soon include the Dalai Lama, 311, Kylie Minogue, Mastodon, Red Bull BC One (breakdancing), Echo and the Bunnymen, Brian Setzer Orchestra, Rob Zombie, and Further (members of the Grateful Dead).