Entries tagged with: Holograms
Happy 10th anniversary to Rock the Bells, who have announced their initial, rotating 2013 lineup featuring hosts Peter Rosenberg & MURS 3:16, as well as names like Bone Thugs N Harmony, Danny Brown, Black Hippy (who just played NYC), Common, E40 & Too Short, Earl Sweatshirt (ditto), Flatbush Zombies, Juicy J (who played a Fader show on Monday and Irving Plaza last night), Rakim, Wu-Tang Clan (who play Summer Jam soon), Tyler the Creator (who just announced an NYC show as part of Odd Future), Eazy E, Ol Dirty Bastard and more. Confused? Yes, I did just say Eazy E and Ol Dirty Bastard, both of which will be "virtual performances" as part of the travelling festival. AllHipHop reports:
Ol Dirty Bastard and Eazy-E's spirits will return to the stage at Rock The Bells this year, AllHipHop has learned.So far only four dates exist for Rock the Bells. They're all listed below. Two of them are on the East Coast and one is in the NYC area at Meadowlands Racetrack in Rutherford, NJ on October 4-5. Tickets go on presale Thursday (10/16) at noon, and regular sale on Saturday.
The pair of Hip-Hop legends will have holograms performing this year at the 10-year anniversary of the rap festival.
Eazy-E will perform virtually with Bone Thugs-In-Harmony and ODB will rock with Wu Tang. Organizers said Eazy never blessed the Rock The Bells stage and ODB only did once.
Also, the "holograms" are approved by Eazy-E's wife Tomica Wright and Ol Dirty's mother, Cherry Jones.
Tupac's Coachella appearance inspired the new virtual performances at Rock The Bells, organizers admitted.
Initial lineup (at least 15 more artists TBA), dates and some video below.
Descendents at Roseland Ballroom, Sept. 2011 (more by Keith Marlowe)
today in NYC
* EMEFE @ Joe's Pub
* R.L. Boyce @ Barbes
* Nass Gnawa @ Zebulon
* Madonna @ Yankee Stadium
* Che Chen @ Issue Project Room
* Smokey's Secret Family @ Barbes
* Scot Gresham-Lancaster @ The Stone
* Raya Brass Band, Litvakus @ Joe's Pub
* Pink Reason, Foster Care, Noon @ Lulus
* DANCENOW Joe's Pub Festival @ Joe's Pub
* LadyHawke, Computer Magic @ Bowery Ballroom
* False, Mortals, Bellow, Yellow Eyes @ Acheron
* POP ETC, Goldroom, Gemini Club @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Pauline Kim Harris & Conrad Harris @ The Stone
* LadyHawke, The Misshapes @ Tribeca Grand Hotel
* Mikael Jorgensen, Minerva Lions @ Mercury Lounge
* Icon Gallery, Acid Problem, Shoxx @ Death By Audio
* Hopewell, Weird Owl, Dead Leaf Echo @ Cameo Gallery
* Dirty Fences, Nat Brower & The Power, Wet @ Cake Shop
* Giuda, Bootblacks, Livids, 45 Adapters @ Saint Vitus Bar
* Holograms, Herzog Rising, Heavenly Beat @ 285 Kent Avenue
* Octant, Ping Pong, Weird Children, The Youngest @ 929 XPO
* The Dig, Jangula, Mother Feather, Marvelous Toy @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Jus-Ed, Tim Sweeney, Mike Servito, Free Magic, Faso @ Glasslands
* The Ugly Club, Kung Fu Crime Wave, Edelweiss, New Beard @ Paper Box
* Rifle Recoil, Caged Animals, Give to Light, Rosy Street @ Muchmores
* Darlings, Grand Rapids, Your 33 Black Angels, The Waivers @ Union Pool
* Slaughterhouse, Freeway, Willie the Kid, Da Circle, Pharoahe Monch @ The Well
* Infinity Shred, Dunes (DJ set), Meth Dad, Dark Sister, 2 Ton Bug @ 255 McKibbin St
* Atoms for Peace (DJ Set), Rustie, Holy Other, Maria Minerva, Justin Strauss @ P.S. 1
* John Wesley Harding's Cabinet of Wonders, Sam Amidon, Todd Barry, and more! @ City Winery
* The Brooklyn What, Bambara, Celestial Shore, Osekre & The Lucky Bastards @ Delinquency BLVD
* Jello Biafra and The Guantanomo School of Medicine, The TV Tramps, Chron Turbine @ Knitting Factory
* Riot Fest w/ Gogol Bordello, Descendents, Hot Water Music, The Bronx, Screaming Females, The Menzingers, Larry & His Flask @ Williamsburg Park
The first-ever Brooklyn edition of Riotfest happens today at Williamsburg with Descendents, Gogol Bordello, Hot Water Music, The Bronx, BV-faves Screaming Females and more. Rioting starts at 3 PM.
Today is also the last Warm-up at MoMA PS 1, featuring Thom Yorke's Atoms for Peace on DJ dute, plus Holy Other, Maria Minerva, Rustie, and Justin Strauss spinning as well. It's sold-out but there should be some tickets at the door if you get there when doors open at noon.
We also recommend checking out Sweden's Holograms who will be at 285 Kent tonight with locals Herzog Rising and Heavenly Beat. Check out the brand new video for Holograms' "Fever" below.
Or you could go see Italian glam punks Giuda (pronounced "Judah" if you were wondering) who will be at St. Vitus. The crowd for their show at Cake Shop last week went absolutely nuts, this will be a fun show... and how often do you get to see an Italian glam band?
Or if black metal is more your thing, Minnesota's False are making a rare stop in NYC for a show at Acheron.
Follow BrooklynVegan on Instagram.
DIIV have a new video for their track "Doused" and you can watch that below.
Woods, whose new album is out this month, have just released a video for their new single "Cali in a Cup" and you can watch that below too.
Lee Fields at MHoW in March (more by Dominick Mastrangelo)
Today in NYC
* SWEET July @ Ella
* Robbie Fulks @ Barbes
* Naked Dance! @ The Stone
* Simon Amstell @ Theatre 80
* Slavic Soul Party @ Barbes
* Gold Sparkle Band @ The Stone
* DOSVEC, Krunk Pony @ Knitting Factory
* Cherub, Manicanparty @ Highline Ballroom
* Carla Morrison, La Santa Cecilia @ Littlefield
* Caramelo, Dientes de Caramelo @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Neon Trees, Penguin Prison, Jjamz @ Webster Hall
* Marco Benevento @ City Winery outside (free)
* Chubb Rock, Kurtis Blow, DJ Bent Roc @ Crotona Park
* MV & EE featuring Mick Flower, Spectre Folk, Images @ Death By Audio
* Lee Fields & the Expressions, Janka Nabay @ Fort Greene Park
* Emanuel & The Fear, Sprinkles, Shenandoah and the Night @ Cameo
* Dirty Projectors, Wye Oak, Purity Ring @ Prospect Park Bandshell
* Diamond Terrifier, Excepter, Hagfish & Poet Lounge, Hubble @ Zebulon
* Cult War, Through Thorn and Brier, Wolfmouth, Desensitized @ Saint Vitus
* Don Gator & The Kings of Spyrock, Makeup Monsters, Love Life, Blue Bird @ Pianos
* Cosmetics, Plastic Flowers, Psychobuildings, Heavenly Beat (DJ set) @ Glasslands
* Swimming, Spook Houses, The N'ere Dowells, The Chimneys @ Big Snow Buffalo Lodge
The Brooklyn Hip Hop Festival continues, with daily events ranging from shows to seminars to a film festival. No shows tonight, but there is a symposium and a screening of the great Wild Style. Head to the site for more details.
Lincoln Center's Midsummer Night Swing series continues through July 14.
The Spy Music Festival is still ongoing.
Follow Brooklynvegan on Instagram.
We're throwing a photo show at 92YTribeca in August.
Dirty Projectors headline Celebrate Brooklyn at the Prospect Park Bandshell tonight (with Wye Oak and Purity Ring). Last night it was a show at Music Hall of Williamsburg which you can now watch in full.
Fela! is back on Broadway.
Tom Waits talked to and played Letterman last night, performing "Chicago" from 2011's Bad As Me. Check out video of that appearance below. Look for Waits to do it again tonight on Fallon.
Frank Ocean, whose new album is streaming on Tumblr, made his television debut on Fallon last night. Video below.
Happy birthday goes out to the late great Ronnie James Dio (you are missed), Arlo Guthrie (who is honoring his father's legacy on the road), Sandy West of The Runaways, and possibly the most important of them all, Jessica Simpson (not really).
Holograms have proudly released their debut LP via Captured Tracks and are streaming it in full. Check it out below. Fans of The Cure, Iceage, and gothic-tinged punk rock everywhere, rejoice and look for them in September.
by Bill Pearis
A couple out of town bands playing NYC in August have added dates while they're here. L.A.'s Tashaki Miyaki, who play Glasslands on August 6 (tickets still available), will now also play Pianos the following night (8/7). Sparking astral, post-Velvets vibes, their new single, "Best Friend," and it's lovely black-and-white video, are highly recommended. You can watch the video below along with updated tour dates.
Far more frantic are Sweden's Holograms who already announced a September 4 Mercury Lounge show (tickets still available) which has since turned into a full North American tour, including a new NYC date at 285 Kent on September 8. (Updated dates are listed below.) No other bands are on the 285 bill yet, but don't be suprised if the line-up's heavy on the Captured Trasks roster. Holograms debut album is out next week on C/T and is of the jagged, angsty post-punk variety that should appeal to folks who love the first two Echo & the Bunnymen albums or, more recently, Iceage (who play 285 Kent and LPR this month). Video for their single "ABC City" is below.
Updated tour dates for Takashi Miyaki and Holograms, are listed below, along with videos...
by Bill Pearis
DOWNLOAD: Holograms - Chasing My Mind (MP3)
Stockholm, Sweden's Holograms will release their self-titled debut via Captured Tracks on July 10. The band will be in North America in late summer, stopping at Mercury Lounge on September 4 before heading to the Hopscotch Music Festival (Sept 6 - 8) in Raleigh, NC. Tickets for the Mercury Lounge show go on AmEx presale today at noon with general on-sale Thursday (6/21) at noon.
With bleating synths, jagged guitar lines and the occasional skronky sax, Holograms is angry, attitude-heavy post punk that doesn't skimp on the hooks. (Fans of early Bunnymen and Iceage take note.) You can download "Chasing My Mind" at the top of this post and you can watch a couple videos at the bottom of this post.
While a full tour hasn't been announced, Holograms do have a few other North American dates in September scheduled, all of which are listed below.
Built to Spill at BV SXSW 2012 (more by Ryan Barkan)
The Hopscotch festival in Raleigh, North Carolina will celebrate its third year from Sept. 6-8, 2012 in downtown Raleigh, with 175 bands in 15 venues. The initial lineup, released today, runs the gamut from traditional indie favorites to punk to noise music to hip hop to noisy black metal and all stops in between, featuring performances from Built to Spill, sunn 0))), The Roots, The Jesus & Mary Chain (who played SXSW), Liars (who have a show coming up at Webster Hall), Baroness, Deerhoof, Death Grips (who play NYC soon and have new material on the way), Danny Brown (who was at Coachella and plays Prospect Park soon), Pallbearer (who play an exclusive East Coast Show soon), Screaming Females (who recently played NYC and are on tour now), Thee Oh Sees, The Spits (who just played NYC twice), Tenement, The Mountain Goats (two sets, one of which will be an all metal-covers set!) and so many more.
(and now we know the Jesus & Mary Chain are coming back soon)
Tickets are on sale. The full lineup and flyer (update: and a few more announced J&MC dates) are below...