Entries tagged with: Inc
Inc. at PIanos in 2013 (more by Amanda Hatfield)
WBAR Barnard College Radio's Annual FREE WBAR-B-Q happens again this year on April 19 on Barnard's Lehman Lawn from noon to 8 PM. This year's will be headlined by Inc. (the day before their tour hits Knitting Factory), and also features Ka, LVL UP, Darlings, Jerry Paper, DJ Dog Dick, Yellow Eyes, Giant Claw, Amanda X and Arm Candy. It's all ages, totally free, and open to the public. More info at the Facebook event.
Full lineup and flyer below...
Inc. at Pianos in 2013 (more by Amanda Hatfield)
Indie/R&B duo Inc. will be playing a few US shows this April, including two in California and one in NYC on April 20 at Knitting Factory. Tickets for the NYC show are on sale now. All dates are listed below.
Inc. haven't mentioned anything about a followup to their debut LP, No World, but they did recently release a collaborative track with FKA twigs (who also recently announced US shows). You can watch the video for that track, with the list of dates, below...
people outside Other Music on Record Store Day 2013 (more by PSquared)
Other Music, the NYC record store (15 E 4th St) and record label (home to Nude Beach, Mutual Benefit, and others), has published its top 30 albums of 2013 list. The multi-genre list has a lot of cool, generally smaller releases in the electronic, hip hop, garage rock, folk, jazz, and other genres, steering clear of the big names that end up on a lot of these lists.
Check out the whole list in alphabetical order below, and read commentary on each one, plus take a look at Other Music's favorite reissues here.
by Andrew Sacher
Kingdom at Bowery Ballroom in December (more by David Andrako)
As mentioned, Brooklyn producer Kingdom released his his new EP, Vertical XL, last week (5/28) via Fade to Mind. If you're a fan of the darker, subdued side of headphone dance music, it's worth giving this a listen. The opening track, "Bank Head," which features lead vocals from Kelela, can be streamed, along with clips of the other tracks, below.
Kingdom will be supporting the new EP with some dates this year, including a show with Kelela in LA tonight (6/5), and he'll return home for a Brooklyn show on June 15 at Knitting Factory, as part of the Northside Festival. Tickets for that show are on sale now, and you can also try to get in with your Northside Badge. All dates are listed below.
Meanwhile, Kelela, who caught our ears last year when she sang on Teengirl Fantasy's album, has been working on her own career as well. She has a mixtape coming out this June via Fade to Mind and has some solo shows coming up this summer. She'll be going on a tour with inc. and Total Freedom which includes the previously discussed NYC show at Music Hall of Williamsburg on July 14 (tickets).
All Kingdom and Kelela dates are listed, along with those streams, below...
Bad Religion @ Irving Plaza, Oct. 2010 (more by Keith Marlowe)
Parenthetical Girls @ BVSXSW 2013 (more by Sarah Frankie Linder)
today in NYC
* TECLA @ Joe's Pub
* Links Trio @ The Stone
* Erik Carlson @ The Stone
* Slavic Soul Party @ Barbes
* Christian Finnegan @ The Stand
* Marika Hughes & Friends @ Barbes
* Thalia Zedek, Brokeback @ Union Pool
* Benoit Pioulard, Noveller @ Webster Hall
* Total Slacker, Life Size Maps @ Pianos
* Sara Watkins, Field Report @ City Winery
* Kate Nash, Supercute! @ Bowery Ballroom
* All The Kings Horses, Empyrean Atlas @ Sycamore
* Caroline Kennedy @ Barnes & Noble Union Square
* RatKing, Cities Aviv, Weekend Money @ Glasslands
* Psychic Mirrors, Miami Players Club @ Cameo Gallery
* Brown Shoe, Wyatt, Rorie Kelly, Temple @ Union Pool
* Joyce Carol Oates @ Barnes & Noble Upper East Side
* Bad Religion, Polar Bear Club, The Bronx @ Terminal 5
* Parenthetical Girls, Grooms, Glockabelle @ The Bowery Electric
* Cult Fever, Stereo Telescope, The Lost Rivers, Avoxblue @ Big Snow
* Andrew McCutchen, Carrie Ashley Hill, Jon Wiley @ Pete's Candy Store
* Little Green Cars, Rocky and the Pressers @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Guardian Alien, Religious Girls, Alan Watts, Michael Collins @ Silent Barn
* Tim Fite, Bonaparte, The Everymen, Total Slacker, Life Size Maps @ Pianos
* White Mystery, Peach Kelli Pop, The Numerators, Ken South Rock @ Death By Audio
* The Dust Rays (members of The Roots and Earl Greyhound), J and the 9's, Vial @ Brooklyn Bowl
Young Glassnote-signed Dublin folk rock quintet Little Green Cars appear on Fallon after their headlining record release show at Music Hall of Williamsburg tonight. Want to go to MHOW for free? We have a pair of tickets you can win. Contest details at the end of this post.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Ghost B.C. (fka Ghost) revealed "Year Zero," the new single from their upcoming album, Infestissumam, which comes out April 16 via Loma Vista (pushed back from 4/9). Check out the NSFW video below, and catch Ghost B.C. on tour with Ides of Gemini this spring.
Los Angeles duo inc. just released a video for their single "Black Wings" and you can watch that below too.
Odd Future member Earl Sweatshirt will be making his SXSW debut this year (he wasn't there when the rest of his crew first played), and will be doing collaborative sets with Captain Murphy, aka Flying Lotus' rap alter ego (who collaborated with him on "Between Friends"). Those sets include the Life or Death showcase on Wednesday (3/13) at Scoot Inn at midnight, the Green Label Sound showcase on Friday (3/15) at Lucille at 9:30 PM, and FADER Fort on Saturday (3/16) at 6 PM. Flyers for all three of those shows with full lineups are below.
Earl just appeared at Flying Lotus' LA show at Low End Theory last week (3/7) and they performed three tracks off Earl's upcoming album, Doris, "Burgundy" (produced by Pharrell), "Hive," and "Guild." Mac Miller is featured on that last one and he was at the LA show too. You can check it all out in a video from the show, which is below. Also below is the video for previously released Doris track, "Chum," and Earl has another new video on the way too.
Vivian Girls @ Mohawk in Austin, May 2011 (more by Tim Griffin)
Lee Fields & the Expressions @ Prospect Park 2012 (more by Dominick Mastrangelo)
today in NYC
* Chicha Libre @ Barbes
* Bombay Rickey @ Barbes
* Bernie Worrell @ Maxwell's
* Lafayette Gilchrist @ The Stone
* The Soul Rebels @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Crystal Stilts, Nude Beach @ Lulu's
* Baauer, Just Blaze @ Webster Hall
* Sunburster, Eerie @ Saint Vitus Bar
* Ex Cops, Ski Lodge @ Mercury Lounge
* Jill Sobule, Colin McGrath @ Union Hall
* Old Time Musketry @ Pete's Candy Store
* Janeane Garofalo @ Eastville Comedy Club
* North Highlands, Takka Takka @ Glasslands
* Loveskills, Cayce, Topic Bends @ Mercury Lounge
* Speck Mountain, Porches, Painted Zeros @ Cake Shop
* Jacques Renault (special 4 hour set) @ Cameo Gallery
* Workout, Fort Lean, Founders @ Brooklyn Fireproof East
* Darlings, Eraas, Grand Rapids, Doozies @ Death By Audio
* GULL, The Netherlands, Sugar Life @ Secret Project Robot
* Endless Boogie, Arbouretum, Hans Chew @ Cameo Gallery
* Basement Batman, Donora, Teammate, RobertCop @ Pianos
* Ken Stringfellow, Bird of Youth, Sky White Tiger @ Union Pool
* Meshuggah, Animals as Leaders, Intronaut @ Roseland Ballroom
* Great Elk, The Bright Silence, Aloud, Hee Young @ Bowery Electric
* Ball Of Flame Shoot Fire, Crazy Pills, Kid In The Attic @ Fort Useless
* Robert DeLong, Hussle Club, Lou Teti @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Patrick Higgins, Josh Modney, Eli Keszler, Ashley Paul @ Silent Barn
* Lee Fields & The Expressions, Ikebe Shakedown @ Bowery Ballroom
* Unstoppable Death Machines, Lechuguillas, Chat Logs @ Shea Stadium
* A Beacon School, Osekre & The Lucky Bastards, Bambara @ Muchmore's
* Body Language (DJ Set), Chris E. Pants, Vacationer (DJ Set), That Work @ Glasslands
* Foster The People (DJ Set), Javelin, Dopeshoes (DJ Set) @ Museum of Natural History
* Vivian Girls, Widowspeak, Eternal Summers, Heliotropes @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* ITAL, Jonas Reinhardt, Aurora, Hauser/Quaid, Jan Woo (DJ Set), Terekke (DJ Set) @ Body Actualized Center
Follow BrooklynVegan on Instagram.
R&B duo inc. are releasing their impressive debut full length, no world, next week (2/19) via 4AD, but you can stream the entire thing ahead of its release below. You can also hear the album at its listening party tonight (2/15) in NYC at Le Bain, where inc. will also be DJing. And, as mentioned, the duo will play a release show in NYC at Le Poisson Rouge on Tuesday with a stacked lineup of Zomby, Kelela, and Total Freedom (tickets).
by Andrew Sacher
DOWNLOAD: Inc. - "5 Days" (MP3)
LA duo Inc. released their debut EP back in 2011 and they're finally set to release their debut full length, which will be titled No World, on February 19 via 4AD, who also put out their EP. The first taste of that album, "5 days," is an ambient R&B cut that fits right in with How to Dress Well, Autre Ne Veut, and d'Eon. You can download the track above or watch a visualizer it below. The tracklist is below too.
Inc. will be playing a release show in NYC the day the album comes out (2/19) at Le Poisson Rouge with 4AD labelmate Zomby, Teengirl Fantasy collaborator Kelela (who plays the same venue five days earlier with Teengirl Fantasy and Laurel Halo), and Total Freedom. Tickets for that show are on sale now.
Video and album tracklist below...
Nite Jewel at LPR in August (more by Toby Tenenbaum)
Nite Jewel (aka Ramona Gonazalez) is a bit of a musical shapeshifter, having previously recorded lo-fi experimental pieces, performed with Linda Perhacs (along with Julia Holter), and performed a Kraftwerk album in its entirety, among other things. Just recently, she recorded a piano cover of Stevie Wonder's "Visions," which you can watch a video of below.
But on this year's One Second of Love, Ramona went for more of an overtly pop approach than her earlier work, and that interest comes across pretty strongly in her top ten songs of 2012 list, which you can check out below. Half of the list is made up of this year's big rap/R&B faves, and it also includes collaborator Julia Holter, Zebra Katz (whose video we just posted), and more.
Check out her full list and the "Visions" video below...
LA electronic duo Inc. (formerly Teen Inc.) should have their debut album for 4AD out sometime next year, but you can get an early taste of what they're up to much sooner when they play an NYC show on Saturday, November 17 at Steel Drums (35 Beadel Street, Brooklyn). Tickets are on sale now.
Making the evening much more interesting is a special performance from Sky Ferreira with Dev Hynes of Blood Orange (who we spotted watching Sky's set during one of our CMJ-week day parties), meaning they'll be performing together. As you may know, Dev co-produced Sky's "Everything is Embarrassing," and performed a rendition of it himself when he opened for Grimes at Music Hall of Williamsburg recently (video of that is below). We're told they're building "actual stage sets" for both Inc. and Sky/Dev's sets so "expect theatrics." Opening the show will be a set from Physical Therapy.
Sky will also be performing, sans-Dev, at two NYC shows later in the month.
Flyer for the Inc. show and the Dev Hynes video are below.
photos by Erez Avissar
Zomby @ Glasslands
Prince Rama, despite touring with them and also playing CMJ, are not opening the previously discussed Gang Gang Dance show at Bowery Ballroom on 10/22, but some other more exciting acts are opening what is looking like a 4AD showcase. The lineup as of now is Gang Gang Dance, Inc, and Zomby! At least one more act will be announced too (hmm, Joker will be in town). Tickets are still on sale, or get in with your CMJ badge.
Zomby, despite the Guy Fawkes mask he sports, has not made any appearances at Occupy Wall Street so far (that we know of) (like Jeff Mangum did), but he did make a rare appearance in NYC at Glasslands on October 1st...
"At nearly 2 a.m. on Sunday morning, U.K. dubstep womperkind Zomby is onstage, but he is not making any noise. "We've waited years for this, dude, years," calls one fan as another boos. And indeed, the crowd who attended Zomby's set at Glasslands had been waiting years to see it, as that night marked Zomby's second appearance in New York since entering the bassosphere in 2007, and the first one [wasn't] open to the public. Now, after years of consuming his releases from across the pond and hours of slogging through jam band opening acts and faceless DJs that night, Zomby was onstage and silent as a stupid dead lamb who deserved to die for making everyone wait so unbelievably, mind-numbingly long. "Where's the music?" demands another fan. When the first note trembles through the venue and the crowd unleashes a collective noise of assent, all is forgiven. Zomby, that diva bastard, is worth the wait." [CMJ]More pictures from Glasslands are below...
by Andrew Sacher
LA electronic duo Inc. (formerly Teen Inc.) released their debut EP 3 this past July via 4AD. The duo is made up of brothers Andrew and Daniel Aged, who, according to 4AD, "spent several years playing, recording and touring with Elton John, Pharrell Williams, Beck, Cee-Lo, amongst others" before forming Inc. On their EP, the brothers have crafted three tracks of downtempo R&B indebted to the LA beat scene with soulful reverb-coated falsettos. You can stream the entire EP below and grab two of its tracks above.
Inc. will play NYC on September 9 at Santos Party House with SFV Acid, Mykki Blanco, and Physical Therapy (DJ) and Brooklyn the next day at The Morgan (9/10). Tickets are on sale now for the Santos show. More details will probably emerge on the Morgan show after the RockYard show this Saturday (9/3) with Pictureplane, White Hills, The Psychic Paramount, Wise Blood, and Realness. According to Inc.'s site, more shows TBD.
Physical Therapy also DJs Warm Up on September 10 as the make up date for last Saturday's cancellation with Tanlines and Teengirl Fantasy.
All dates, a flier, and EP stream below...