Entries tagged with: Janeane Garafolo
Kate Tempest @ SXSW last week (more by Amanda Hatfield)
You can browse our full NYC show calendar for all of tonight's shows, but here are some highlights...
Action Bronson @ Terminal 5
Chef-turned-rapper Action Bronson releases his new album, Mr Wonderful, this week and is celebrating with two big shows at Terminal 5. Tonight's sold out but you can still get tickets to Wednesday's show.
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion @ Cake Shop
The JSBX release their cracking new album Freedom Tower: No Wave Dance Party 2015 this week and are celebrating by playing shows in every borough. Tonight brings them to NYC's Cake Shop and to get tickets you need to buy the album at Other Music.
Taking Back Sunday, The Menzingers @ The Paramount
Long Island emo vets TBS released Happiness Is in 2014 which was made with the same lineup that produced 2002's Tell All Your Friends. Philly punks The Menzingers and LA's Letlive open.
A Winged Victory for the Sullen, Loscil @ Le Poisson Rouge
Ambient duo A Winged Victory for the Sullen (aka Stars of the Lid's Adam Wiltzie and pianist/composer Dustin O'Halloran) released their sophomore album, Atomos, to much acclaim last year via Kranky. They'll get LPR nice and chill tonight.
Kate Tempest, Jack Garratt @ Mercury Lounge
She's an award-winning poet and just-published novelist, but Kate Tempest is at her most immediate as a rapper, as heard on last year's very good, gritty Everybody Down. This is her first of two sold-out NYC shows this week.
Hess is More, HITS, Lily McQueen @ Mercury Lounge
The eight-piece lineup of Hess Is More bring their jazzy/krauty/funky sound to Nublu as part of a four-night residency. If you like DFA style dancerock, they're worth checking out.
Gingerlys, Baby Acid, Physical Media, Acid Dad @ Pianos
Falling somewhere between indiepop and shoegaze are Brooklyn's Gingerlys, whose debut EP is brimming with charming pop hooks.
Not Suitable For Television: An Evening of Material Rejected from Television @ Littlefield
This series brings to life TV pilot scripts that never made to filming. Tonight's reading features Janeane Garofalo, "TV's Frank" Conniff, Jena Friedman, Brandon Scott Wolf, Andrew Law, Andy Blitz, Sabrina Jalees, and Aaron Glaser.
Radiator Hospital, Nice Try, The Meltaways, Trace Mountains @ Silent Barn
Radiator Hospital -- the band fronted by former Waxahatchee member Sam Cook-Parrott and including current Swearin' drummer Jeff Bolt -- make hyper punky/strummy pop, as heard on last year's Torch Song.
Tsu Shi Ma Mi Re, Quorum, The Fin., Zarigani$, Bo-Peep, Samurai Dynamites @ Knitting Factory
This show is being billed as "Japan Night" featuring a whole bunch of groups from that country fresh from performances at SXSW.
San Cisco @ Rough Trade
Australian band San Cisco released their bright and poppy new album, Gracetown, last week and play a free record release show tonight. No wristband required.
The Wharton Tiers Ensemble, Martin Bisi, Tenterhooks, Secret Numbers @ The Rock Shop
Between the two of them, audio engineers Wharton Tiers, and Martin Bisi have worked on records by some of the biggest names in the '80s no-wave scene. They are both musicians as well, and are on the same bill this evening.
For all of tonight's shows, and tomorrow's, check out our NYC concert calendar.
For laughs, check out the NYC Comedy calendar too.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
by Arielle Gordon
Mike Birbiglia on stage at the Bell House (via @BVComedy)
Browse our NYC comedy calendar 24 hours a day every day, but here are some events we'd like to highlight happening tonight (7/26) and over the rest of the weekend...
Comedian Mike Birbiglia is testing out new material in "Working It Out" at the Cherry Lane Theatre tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday at 8 PM. Tickets are SOLD OUT for Friday and Saturday, but are still available for Sunday here.
Stand-up Jim Tews has his second-to-last Week At the Creek show tonight at The Creek and The Cave at 7 PM.
Stone Cold Fox, a sketch group featuring Connor Ratliff (The Chris Gethard Show) and Molly Lloyd (CollegeHumor, Funny or Die) at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre, is performing its newest sketch show, A Triumph... Channing Tatum is Electric!" tonight at the UCB Theatre in Chelsea at 7:30 PM.
Browse our NYC comedy show list for more!
And speaking of Chris Gethard, we're excited he'll be with us for three days at Lollapalooza next week.
Titus Andronicus at Webster Hall in 2010 (more by kolored)
today in NYC
* Jen Chapin @ Barbes
* ASSSSCAT 3000 @ UCB
* Tomas Barfod, Patou @ Le Bain
* Hannibal Buress @ Knitting Factory
* The Monkees @ Beacon Theatre
* Janeane Garofalo @ EastVille Comedy Club
* Smashing Pumpkins @ Mohegan Sun Arena
* Anaka, Drop Down @ The Mercury Lounge
* The Dardys, Drowners @ Mercury Lounge
* Yo Gabba Gabba! @ Madison Square Garden
* BB King @ NYCB Theatre at Westbury
* Pretty Good Friends w/ Eugene Mirman @ Union Hall
* Melvin Van Peebles Wid Laxative @ Zebulon
* Ian Hunter, Graham Parker @ The Paramount
* Herman's Hermits starring Peter Noone @ BB King's
* Charlie Hunter/Scott Amendola Duo @ The Stone
* Kimya Dawson, Rob Sonic, Sir Jarlsberg @ Europa
* KRTS, ShadowBox, Blak Nite, Datalog @ Glasslands
* Titus Andronicus, Ceremony, Lemuria @ Webster Hall
* Endand, Bugs in the Dark, Seasick Mama @ Death By Audio
* Oneohtrix Point Never, Holly Herndon, Ducktails @ P.S. 1
* Clint Michigan, Emily Danger, David King @ Cameo Gallery
* Talib Kweli, Jasmine Solano DJ set, DJ Mad Sol @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Kiernan McMullan, Matt Cranstoun, Oh! My Blackbird @ The Rock Shop
* Hem, Willie Evans Jr., Geo Wyeth, Dynasty Handbag @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Charles Mansfield, Yes William, The Ben Pagano Band, Fayaway @ Cake Shop
* Little Rock-its by Frolic! Featuring Tim Kubart and Special Guests @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* A Big Yes And A Small No, Xylofaux, Joanna Erdos and The Midnight Show @ Bowery Electric
TONIGHT at Knitting Factory, BrooklynVegan is presenting advance screenings of Only The Young and Tchoupitoulas (a double feature!) starting at 7 PM and is free (first come, first served). See you there!
Over at Warsaw is the 3rd Annual Beer Masters.
Janeane Garafolo, Dave Hill, Eugene Mirman & Special Guests were scheduled to play a NYWC benefit at Highline Ballroom tonight but that show has been cancelled. Refunds are available at the point of purchase.
Eugene Mirman will be at Union Hall for his Pretty Good Friends show though. Guests tonight include Nikki Glaser, Karl Hess, and Mike Lawrence.
And Janeane Garofalo will be at EastVille Comedy Club for her recurring comedy show at that venue with guests.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.