Entries tagged with: Jess Marquis
"Well @djjessmarquis - you're immortalized forever - very close to my ass . I thought that would make you happy . A beautiful tattoo by @grantcobb thank you - #RIPDJJess" -Joanna Angel
NYC DJ Jess Marquis, aka Jesse Immler, passed away suddenly last week. One of the many NYC nightlife-related people to pay tribute immediately was Burning Angel porn star and founder Joanna Angel. On April 10th she wrote:
...I really don't know how to sum up everything Jess and I went through together.. We had such a history. But no matter where my life has gone, we always stayed in touch. As I got older - I went to New York less frequently and my bedtime got a little bit earlier. Meeting up with Jess at his gigs at 3AM became a bit harder for me, but we always found time to meet up - either before he went to work or on a random night off of his. Last year while meeting for brunch, randomly out of nowhere he was like, "What are you doing after this?" I said, "Nothing," and he said, "Let's go back to my apartment and write a song - I have a great idea." And that was how "O Face" was born.That last part became even more true two days later when Joanna, and their mutual friend (and sometimes BrooklynVegan photographer) Nate "Igor" Smith, got DJ Jess tattoos. "Live Trash Die Young" they read.
I am distraught and I don't know what to say. Jess and I joked around about getting older and existing in worlds where you had to stay young. We laughed at ourselves. We laughed at each other. I truly thought we would be friends forever.
I am at a loss for words, and I cannot comprehend at all why this bright light of a human being chose to end his own life. The world lost an amazing person. I love you Jess. You will never be forgotten.
Igor also posted his own tribute to Jess on his blog Driven By Boredom.
Last night, Joanna pointed out on Instagram that she's on her way to NYC for the DJ Jess memorial service which is happening at 7pm at Webster Hall today (4/16). You can RSVP, and check out the flyer below...
Sad news from the NYC nightlife world: DJ Jess (aka Jess Marquis aka Jesse Immler), who organized, promoted, and DJ'd at parties like TRASH!, Motherfucker, MisShapes, Rated X, Tiswas and more, died earlier this week. From Next Magazine:
"He was always very upbeat and positive, and gave a lot of people their first breaks at Trash," DJ Mikey Pop says. "He literally gave me my first nightlife gig. People start in dive bars or shitty clubs. I started at Webster Hall. I'm forever grateful for that."Igor from Driven By Boredom adds:
The L Magazine and Citysearch.com dubbed Marquis the city's "Best DJ" for three years strong, and Paper Magazine, The Village Voice, The L Magazine, and more have named his events "Best Party."
"His parties were alternative crowds, infused with gay, straight, lesbian, burlesque, male and female go-gos, drag queens, drag kings... He brought literally every walk of nightlife together in one party," Pop continues.
Jess' legendary party Trash was my favorite party in New York of all time. It was one of the first parties I went to and when it was at Rififi it was as good as any weekly party could ever get. Jess also threw Rated X which was probably the most insanely fun and debaucherous party outside of Motherfucker which of course Jess also DJd. His Thursday night party "in the seedy basement of Lit", NC-17, was one of the best placls to get people naked.His parties were also responsible for lots of Last Night's Party and Cobra Snake content. Jess also dabbled in nightlife photography himself, and was in the band We Are Americana. Before that he was in Smiths cover band The Salford Lads, as Andy Shaw points out in another moving tribute.
Honestly, now that I think about it Jess' parties are responsible for a massive amount of my sex life.
DJ Jess was also a resident DJ at Webster Hall and did a lot of remix work recently. His last release was a reworked Smashing Pumpkins' "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" which you can stream below.
His last, non-promotional tweet happened on April 6th. Here it is:
What's this from? "Death is our business. Business is good."— Jess Marquis (@djjessmarquis) April 6, 2015
Rest in peace, Jess. NYC won't be the same without you.
UPDATE: Jess's life will be celebrated at Webster Hall on 4/16. Flyer for the tribute, below...
The Bats @ Choas in Tejas 2013 (more by Tim Griffin)
Ringo Deathstarr @ The Frontier Bar, Austin 2012 (more by Tim Griffin)
today in NYC
* Ben Sidran @ Barbes
* MS MR @ The Surf Lodge
* Secret Chiefs 3 @ The Stone
* Mariachi Flor De Toloache @ Barbes
* Rioux, Night Shining @ Knitting Factory
* Hands, Cosmonaut, Visuals @ Glasslands
* Goldroom (DJ), Plastic Plates @ Brooklyn Bowl
* The Ocean Blue, The Denzels @ Mercury Lounge
* Jones Street Station, The Girls @ Le Poisson Rouge
* The Ocean Blue, Dead Leaf Echo @ Mercury Lounge
* Jessica Pratt, Gambles, Zachary Cale @ Union Pool
* Anthony Parasole, Civil Duty, Bookworms @ 285 Kent
* Tea Leaf Green, Spring Standards @ Bowery Ballroom
* The Front Bottoms, Weatherbox, Brian Bonz @ Maxwell's
* Cheif Keef, Vinny Cha$e, DJ Sinatra @ Best Buy Theater
* The Ballet, The Smittens, Making Marks, Silkies @ Spike Hill
* Grass Is Green, Ovlov, Appomattox, Miniboone @ Big Snow
* Ringo Deathstarr, Speedy Ortiz, Sua, Advaeta @ Public Assembly
* Lee Fields & The Expressions, Charles Bradley @ Brooklyn Arbor
* Pat Mahoney, Justin Vandervolgen, Colin Rogister @ Cameo Gallery
* Standish/Carlyon, Tempers, Candide Redaelli (DJ) @ Cameo Gallery
* Pentatonix, Allstar Weekend, Tyler Ward, Kina Grannis @ Terminal 5
* A Tribe Called Red, Zuzuka Poderosa, Burt Fox, Jubilee @ Glasslands
* Screen Vinyl Image, York Factory Complaint, No Paris @ Death By Audio
* Brite Nites, Gabriel & Dresden, Mike Chach, Jess Marquis @ Webster Hall
* Filligar, Midnight Spin, The 4onthefloor, Country Mice @ Gramercy Theatre
* Band of Changes (mems. of Ween, Morphine), Chris Harford @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Rush Midnight, Sofa Club, Lingerie, Nicky Sparkles @ Body Actualized Center
* Steve Shiffman & The Land of No, Revival Times, Marcellus Hall @ Cake Shop
* The Uncluded (Aesop Rock & Kimya Dawson), Hamell on Trial @ Knitting Factory
* The Rooks, The Happy Problem, The Animal Years, Bad Cello, Alma Mia @ Pianos
* Octo Octa, Datalog, Tomeeo, Nanohumans, Stephane Bonenfant @ Bossa Nova Civic Club
* The Wildhearts, The Ginger Wildheart Band, DJ Gibby Haynes @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* The Bats, Tigercats, Flowers, The Hobbes Fanclub, Azure Blue, The Proctors @ The Bell House
* Model Home, The Scandals, Up For Nothing, Man The Change, Lay the Blame on Luck @ Shea Stadium
* Autodrone, Horrible Present, Hillary Capps, Casey Dinkin, MaryBth Schroeder, Whiskey Bitches @ Paper Box
* EULA, Flying Pace, Weird Children, All Forces, Birds In Weather, Kid In Attic, JPK, Black Salad @ Fort Useless
* Carte Blanche, House of Waters, And The Kids, Sam Pinkerton, Matt King, The End Men, Zak Smith @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Bonnie Jones, Daphne Vincente-Sandoval, Andrew Lampert, Sean Meehan, Tristan Shepherd, Leila Bordreuil @ Silent Barn
* Ken South Rock, Andy Animal's Cannibal Tribe, Damn Kids, Mighty Fine, Quitty & The Don'ts, Sorceress, Firecracker Firecracker, Lovecryme @ Lone Wolf
NYC Popfest continues today with three shows: a free afternoon show at Spike Hill headlined by The Ballet, playing their first local show in a couple years; the big Bell House show headlined by New Zealand greats The Bats; and a show at Public Assembly's back room with Ringo Deathstarr headlining. Tickets are still available to both night shows.
Note if you're trying to hit both the Spike Hill and Bell House Popfest shows, the MTA is doing service work on the G Train this weekend. Better to take the L to the R.
Today is also Bushwick Open Studios where you can visit hundreds of artists' space where they work and see what they're working on. Mind you with temperatures expected near 90, it will be a stuffy day of art. There's music too, with BOS Music Festival happening today at Lone Wolf.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Iceage @ Portland's Star Theater, March 2013 (more by Autumn Andel)
Quintron & Miss Pussycat @ Emo's 2012 (more by Tim Griffin)
today in NYC
* The Quavers @ Barbes
* Shuggie Otis @ B.B. King's
* Anthrax @ J&R Music World
* Furthur @ The Capitol Theatre
* Fab Faux @ Wellmont Theatre
* Gypsy Kings @ Beacon Theatre
* Smokey's Secret Family @ Barbes
* John Scofield, Mike Stern @ Birdland
* STS9, Eliot Lipp @ Roseland Ballroom
* Aimee Mann, Ted Leo @ Webster Hall
* Amon Tobin (DJ) @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Clinic, The Cobbs @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Little Women, Mick Barr @ 92Y Tribeca
* TEETH, Ami Dang, Haribo @ Glasslands
* Jonathan Toubin, Quintron @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Jamie Saft, H.R. (of Bad Brains) @ The Stone
* Culo, Kremlin, CREEM, Missionary @ Acheron
* Losers Lounge tribute to Elvis Costello @ Joe's Pub
* Jacksie, Bob Jones & The Golden Tones @ Glasslands
* Black Breath, Mutation Rites, White Widows @ Knitting Factory
* Iceage, White Lung, Parquet Courts, Burial @ Bowery Ballroom
* The Kin, Showcase of NBC's The Voice @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Marco Benevento, Mike Dillon, Diamond Doves @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Alex Bleeker & the Freaks, Prince Rupert's Drops @ In Living Stereo
* Quintron & Miss Pussycat, Black Dice, K-Holes @ Secret Project Robot
* Western Ennisphere, Jeremiah Cymerman, Hax Breaker @ Silent Barn
* Dinowalrus, Mean Creek, I Eat Paint, Gross Relations @ Shea Stadium
* A-Trak, Oliver, Jason Taylor, Mike Church, Jess Marquis @ Webster Hall
* Anthrax, Exodus, Municipal Waste, High on Fire, Holy Grail @ Irving Plaza
* Ava Luna, Grass Is Green, Tremors II, Caddywhompus, Baked @ Big Snow
* FaltyDL, Nomi Ruiz, Justin Strauss, Eli Escobar + more DJ sets @ Turntable Lab
* Breakfast In Fur, Built By Animals, Great Maison, Vinyl Thief, Dan Hill @ Pianos
* Joey Bada$$, Pro Era, Flatbush Zombies, Underachievers @ Gramercy Theatre
* Shellshag, Screaming Females, Swearin', Hilly Eye, Great Thunder @ Maxwell's
* Silent Drape Runners, Easy Lover, Prentis Estates, Sprinkles @ 15 Anthony Street
* Every Flavor Water Machine, Christians To The Lions, The Other Bones @ Bowery Electric
* Drapetomania, Una Besita Incontrolable, S.H.I.T., Birth Deformities, Sad Boys @ ABC No Rio
* Light Asylum, Rewards, Com Truise, Rewards, Silent Drape Runners (DJ) @ Mercury Lounge
* DJ sets from Parquet Courts, Sharon Van Etten, FaltyDL, Jonathan Toubin + more @ Other Music
* Forgetters, Doug Gillard, Swearin', Livids, Tom Scharpling, Black Schwarzenbach @ Generation Records
* The Rival Mob, Dawn of Humans, Double Negative, Bloodkrow Butcher, Violent Future, Subclinix, Warthog @ 285 Kent
* Jonathan Toubin, Bryan Kasenic, FaltyDL, Scott Mou/Queens, Matt Werth, Caleb Braaten, Parquet Courts @ Other Music
* Literature, Grand Resort, The Hairs, Cascading Slopes (members of The Drums), Kip Berman (of The Pains of Being Pure at Heart), Sparxx @ Cake Shop
It's Record Store Day as you have probably heard, and there's a lot of fun stuff going on related to that. Please consult our guide for details. Happy hunting and hope you find the #RSD13 exclusives you're looking for. And most importantly, support your local record store the rest of the year too.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Shlohmo (who recently put out an excellent collaborative track with Jeremih) and The Underachievers (who played our official BrooklynVegan showcase and is on a tour with Joey Bada$$ and Flatbush Zombies that hits Gramercy Theater tonight) teamed up for Ray-Ban x Boiler Room set at SXSW. You can watch a video of that entire half-hour set below (via FACT).
DJ and Fools Gold label exec A-Trak released his Tuna Melt EP back in December and has just recently followed that up with a companion EP of remixes. That's the cover art above and you can stream the Grandtheft Remix of "Tuna Melt" below. He'll also be playing some shows this month, including a 4/20 NYC show at Webster Hall with Oliver, Jason Taylor, Mike Church, and Jess Marquis. Tickets are on sale now. Alternatively, Amon Tobin DJs at LPR that same night.
A-Trak will be back in NYC in May for the Red Bull Music Academy, as part of the Culture Clash event at Roseland Ballroom on May 9. It's a four-way DJ crew battle and as part of Fool's Gold, they'll be up against Gold Federation Sound, Just Blaze & Young Guru, and Que Bajo?! Tickets to that are still available too. All A-Trak dates are below.
Little Boots at Webster Hall - 12/14/12 (via)
Little Boots came to NYC for a Girls & Boys party at Webster Hall last month/year (pictured above) and
she'll return to the venue on January 25 for another Girls & Boys party but this one is a tribute to Daft Punk and Tron-themed party. It takes place in all there rooms of Webster Hall that feature Doorly, Sean Sharp, Jess Marquis, Matty Glitterati, and more. Doors are at 10PM and admission is 19+. Tickets (including VIP and party packages) are on sale now. Show flyer below.
UPDATE: Webster Hall's website had Little Boots on the event page for the Daft Punk tribute party, but it was a mistake. She's currently on vacation. Come back soon, Little Boots!
Speaking of Daft Punk, Chic member and major pop producer Nile Rodgers, who is working with the duo on their new album, recently posted a blog post which sounds pretty promising that Daft Punk will have their new album out in 2013 (via NME):
The next time I set foot in Japan, my collaboration with Daft Punk would have started to hit people's eardrums, as well as a number of songs I'm working on over the next few months with a select group of artists, and of course finally, my lost CHIC and solo material. No matter how it ends, 2013 Won't Be Boring!Bestival organizer Rob da Bank says not to expect them to tour though.
Flyer for the Daft Punk party below...