Entries tagged with: Jimmy Kimmel
photos by Tim Griffin
Damon, Annie, Kelis, Eagulls and Perfect Pussy at the NPR Showcase - SXSW 2014
"Damon Albarn hasn't played yet, has he?" we ask. The woman on the door shakes her head. Flushed with the thrill of absurd luck, we don't stop to wonder why.Damon Albarn presented much of his solo debut Wednesdaysday night (3/12) in SXSW at Stubb's as part of NPR's official showcase. (It was the same night and on the same street as Tuesday's tragic events, though most attendees were unaware.) St. Vincent played before him and went on a little late -- and maybe played longer than scheduled. Damon didnt go on until 1:20AM ish -- He was supposed to start at 12:30. It was cold. Damon apologized for having to pull some songs from his set list, but mentioned with so many acts and set ups it couldn't be helped. His set up took a while but he sounded great once it eventually got underway.
The venue inside is half empty. Damon takes to the stage almost an hour late, around 1.30am, and with his touring band runs us through a raft of wry, meandering art pop tunes. There are shades of Gorillaz when he pulls out the melodica, misguided chugs of rock'n'roll, bittersweet ballads. It doesn't sound great, but his presence is entertaining enough. He's still beautiful, if a little grumpy when the performance gets cut short. He apologises. "We got messed about this evening, I'm sorry," he offers. "It happens sometimes." - [The Music]
Albarn also played The Jimmy Kimmel Show (part of his SXSW Week) while in Austin, performing "Mr. Tembo" & "Lonely Press Play." You can watch video of that below.
The whole evening was pretty stacked, as mentioned, with St. Vincent delivering an electrifying performance, plus Kelis serving up Food songs and her first live show in three years. (You can stream audio of her full show below.) Eagulls and the bass-tossin' Perfect Pussy played too.
More pictures from NPR's SXSW showcase, plus Kelis stream and Damon Albarn videos, below...
Blondie in NJ in 2012 (more by Dana (distortion) Yavin)
This past Sunday's Grammys telecast is behind us, but another televised event that will have a ton of Americans in front of their TVs happens this Sunday (2/2): the Super Bowl. A bunch of NYC-area concerts have been announced for the weekend-wide celebration, and since we last spoke, even more have been added.
NYC punk/new wave legends Blondie will play a FREE show at the Super Bowl Boulevard Concert Stage on Saturday (2/1). The stage is located in downtown Manhattan at Broadway & 40th Street, and Blondie go on at 8:30 PM. Blondie are also set to speak and perform at SXSW this year.
Jay Z (who performed and won an award at the Grammys) is also playing a Super Bowl concert. His happens on Saturday and is an invite-only DirecTV party.
Howard Stern's 60th Birthday Bash happens Friday (1/31) at Hammerstein Ballroom at 6 PM and will stream on SiriusXM. Jimmy Kimmel is hosting the event, and guests include Louis C.K., David Letterman, Sarah Silverman, Jon Bon Jovi, John Fogerty, Steven Tyler and others. Hopefully if you're there you'll get to see Steven Tyler dance again.
Meanwhile, catch Louis CK and the Arctic Monkeys on the Late Show with David Letterman tonight (1/27).
There's also ASPIRE'S Ultimate 70s Soul Party with The O Jays at Time Warner Cable Studios and the 15th Annual NFL SUper Bowl Gospel Celebration with Patti Labelle, Mary Mary, Natalie Grant, Tamela Mann and Donnie McClurkin at MSG, both on Friday.
R. Kelly drops his Black Panties album next week (12/10) and has been a flurry activity, stopping by late night talk shows this week for some very weird, very R. Kelly moments. His appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live on Wednesday (12/4) featured him singing a medley of songs while he literally played a woman like a violin with an appearance from 2 Chainz, then British actor Benedict Cumberbatch (aka Sherlock or Khan) gave a dramatic reading of the lyrics to "Genius."
Then last night (12/5) on Arsenio, he performed his Nelson Mandela tribute, "Soldier's Heart," and then performed "Shut Up" and made up songs based on the audience questions. You can watch the Arsenio and Kimmel performances below.
Meanwhile, the news we've all been waiting for. There will be more episodes of "Trapped in the Closet" coming in 2014 that will air on IFC. No specifics on those yet, but you can play catch-up on his labyrinthine musical soap opera on Saturday (12/7) as IFC will air all 33 episodes starting at 5:15 PM, or you can watch them all online now.
Kings of Leon @ ACL 2013 (more by Dana [distortion] Yavin)
Southern-fried garage-rockers-turned-arena-stars Kings of Leon released their new album, Mechanical Bull, back in September. Last night (10/24) the band stopped by Jimmy Kimmel Live and played two songs off the record -- "Supersoaker" and "Temple" -- and you can watch that below.
The Followill brothers will be touring Mechanical Bull in early 2014, hitting NYC at Madison Square Garden on February 14. Tickets for that show go on sale Friday, November 1. All dates are listed below.
Smooth pop duo (who are a much larger band live) Rhye have been pretty quiet lately, and we haven't heard much from them since they played SXSW and a few other shows soon after. Last night they made their television debut, playing "The Fall" from their debut album on Jimmy Kimmel Live.
Check out the video of that performance below...
by Bill Pearis
"Just seen 'New Order' on Kimmel.. Beam me up Scotty... Power, Corruption & Enterprise." - @Peter_Hook1
New Order on Jimmy Kimmel Live 4/16/2013
In between their two weekends at Coachella, Mancunian postpunk legends New Order played Jimmy Kimmel Live last night (4/16), performing "I'll Stay With You" from their "new" album, Lost Sirens, as well as their 1986 classic single "Bizarre Love Triangle" and you can watch both below. (Aside: I am a strong believer in "Don't wear the t-shirt of the band you're going to see at their show," and that rule should be extended to "Don't wear your own band's shirt onstage. Or ever.") As mentioned, New Order will be in NYC with Holy Ghost! on July 24 for a show at Williamsburg Park and tickets go on AEG presale Thursday (4/18) at 10 AM with the regular on-sale happening Friday (4/19) at noon.
While he's not in the band anymore, former bassist Peter Hook was watching from home and couldn't help chiming in on Twitter, which you can read above. (What is that about Glass Houses and throwing stones?) As you may remember, Hook and his band, The Light, are currently playing the entirety of New Order's first two albums on tour. While he hasn't brough Movement and Power, Corruption & Lies to North America (yet), he is releasing a live recording of The Light's first performance of the albums which happened in January 2013 at Manchester Cathedral. It will be available April 22 and you can stream its versions of "Cathedral" and "Cries & Whispers" below.
Morrissey cancelled his appearance on Kimmel last night, but apparently he still tuned in. Here's what he thought:
I was disappointed with last night's Jimmy Kimmel Show wherein our smiling host managed to ridicule depression (70% of Americans have experienced depression according to the National Institute of Mental Health). He then found time to ridicule healthy eating (the obesity epidemic in the U.S. costs $147 billion per year in medical expenditure), and he also ridiculed the notion that animals should be entitled to the possession of their own lives. Furthermore, he found time to jokingly promote gun-ownership - hugely amusing for the parents at Sandy Hook, no doubt. He also promoted his special guests Duck Dynasty - who kill beings for fun. None of the above issues are, of course, as important as Jimmy Kimmel himself, who has finally revealed his show to have an overwhelming loss of meaning. Tune in and relive the intellectual fog of the 1950s.Catch Morrissey on his rescheduled tour.
This just in:
Morrissey is thankful for being invited to perform on Jimmy Kimmel Live tomorrow, February 26. However, he cannot morally be on a television program where the cast members of Duck Dynasty will also be guests. Morrissey would be honored to play the show, if Duck Dynasty were removed.UPDATE: Morrissey playing 'Kimmel,' reschedules tour (updated dates); Staples Center show may or may not be 100% meat-free
Morrissey stated, "As far as my reputation is concerned, I can't take the risk of being on a show alongside people who, in effect, amount to animal serial killers. If Jimmy cannot dump Duck Dynasty then we must step away."
Vampire Weekend on Jimmy Kimmel Live last night
Vampire Weekend were musical guests on Jimmy Kimmel Live on Halloween night (10/31) which is being broadcast this week from Brooklyn (though they canceled Monday's show due to Hurricane Sandy). Dressed as skeletons, they performed a brand new song, "Unbelievers," as well as their old chesnutt "Oxford Comma." Video of both songs is below.
Tonight's Jimmy Kimmel Live will features Jon Stewart & Stephen Colbert, plus The Avett Brothers with the Broooklyn Philharmonic, which should be pretty cool.
Videos are below.
Sharon Jones @ Bonnaroo 2012 (more by Dana (distortion) Yavin)
...a rep for the show tells E! News that "Jimmy Kimmel Live! will broadcast an original show tonight from the Harvey Theater at BAM - Brooklyn Academy of Music."The full week's schedule below...
Kimmel himself even tweeted about the good news, writing, "Unless something weird happens, tonight's show in #Brooklyn is ON like fleece on Gov Christie."
The guest lineup for tonight will be the same as the one that was originally planned for Monday, which includes radio personality Howard Stern and 30 Rock star Tracy Morgan, as well as Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings.
Hurricane Sandy is finally upon us, with the height of the storm hitting around 6 PM. Like Sunday, mass transit is closed and almost everything is cancelled. We'll update this list throughout the day but, as far as we know, the only major show still
happening in NYC tonight is Swans at Music Hall of Williamsburg (though we expect a postponement announcement any minute) (Swans did play Bowery last night though). Swans is now postponed too.
Not sure if anyone is playing, but Pete's Candy Store "says Come & get us Sandy! We weren't afraid of Irene and we're not afraid of you! (but please don't hurt us) WE WILL BE OPEN TONIGHT. C'mon Over."
Aimee Mann & Ted Leo's show at Bowery Ballroom tonight has moved to Wednesday (10/31).
Luckily German band Fenster scheduled a lot of shows while they were here because their show last night at Shea Stadium was cancelled, and their one at Muchmore's tonight with Daytona and Hearsay & Hyperbole isn't happening either.
Pat Kiernan Halloween trivia night at The Bell House is canceled.
John Legend's show at Cushman & Wakefield Theater at Barclay's Center was postponed a while back for non-Sandy reasons.
Cake Shop's show (Sad Ladders, Meet Me in Norway, Sewing Machines) tonight is cancelled.
Joshua Radin & A Fine Frenzy at Best Buy Theater has been postponed.
Lee DeWyze at Highline Ballroom has been canceled.
Tonight's shows at Joe's Pub are canceled.
The Rock Shop is open, but tonight's show has been canceled.
Tonight's shows at The Stone are cancelled.
As you may remember, Jimmy Kimmel Live was to be live from Brooklyn this week. The rest of the week my happen but tonight will not. Tweets Jimmy, "Though it pains us to do it, JKLfrom #Brooklyn tonight is cancelled. I'm disappointed too, but we want you to be safe."
Tonight's Reverend Vince Anderson and His Love Choir show at Union Pool has been canceled.
Mercury Lounge is closed.
Pianos is closed.
Cake Shop is closed.
Union Hall is closed.
Brooklyn Bowl is closed.
S.O.B's is closed.
The Living Room is closed.
Death by Audio is closed.
The Studio at Webster Hall is closed.(which means Brokencyde is cancelled)
Arlene's Grocery is closed.
Iridium Jazz is closed
Both the Chelsea and East Village UCB Theatres are closed.
Tonight's Schnick or Treat comedy show at Littlefield has been postponed to 11/4.
Nitehawk Cinema in Williamsburg is closed.
Eugene Mirman, who just guested at the last-ever Hot Tub last night (10/1), has another show in NYC tonight (10/2) at The Bell House with a stacked lineup of Dave Hill, Glennis McCarthy, Michael Showalter, Hannibal Buress, Joseph Keckler, and Supercute!. Tickets are on sale for this show, dubbed The Talent Show, and it's a benefit for the I.S. 171 middle school band.
Eugene Mirman also plays a previously mentioned sold out show at the same venue next Monday (10/8) with Sarah Silverman, Mike Birbiglia, Reggie Watts, and special guests.
As for Def Leppard fan Dave Hill, he'll also be at nearby Union Hall for "Geeking Out" that also features Glynnis McCarthy, Dana Rossi, Mindy Raf and Ophira Eisenberg. (Tickets). There will be Dave's last shows in the US before he heads to London to do a book tour for his latest tome, Tasteful Nudes.
Meanwhile, you may be aware that Hannibal Buress has an ongoing comedy night residency every Sunday at Knitting Factory in Brooklyn and this week's (10/7) is with Joyelle Johnson, Nick Turner, Akaash Singh, Brooke Van Poppolen, and DJ Roofeeo. Prince Paul DJ'd last week and Chris Rock showed up too.
Hannibal has other upcoming NYC appearances too. He'll be at Comedy Central's "Night of Too Many Stars: America Comes Together for Autism Programs" at Beacon Theatre on October 13 with a large variety of guests including Bill Burr, Stephen Colbert, Tina Fey, Carly Rae Jepsen, Jimmy Kimmel, Tom Morello, Tracy Morgan, Bill O'Reilly, Amy Poehler, Seth Rogen, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog and more. (Carly Rae Jepsen and Tom Morello on the same bill!) Tickets ranging from $130 to $605 are on sale now. Proceeds benefit autism programs across the country. Hannibal will also perform as part of the New York Comedy Festival at Santos Party House on November 10. Tickets for that show are on sale now. All Hannibal Buress dates are listed below.
That's right, Jimmy Kimmel Live is headed to the East Coast to spend one week at BAM, Oct 29 - Nov 2. So far guests haven't been announced, musical or otherwise, but as with most television tapings, tickets are free and available to the public, but you'll need to tell Guillermo why you deserve them. Seriously.
Jimmy Kimmel aired repeats on 9/27 and 9/28, but featured an appearance from Hot Chip on Wednesday (9/26). Video of that performance is below.
The Afghan Whigs swung by Jimmy Kimmel Live last night (9/19) to perform "My Enemy" and "Uptown Again." If you missed it, head below for the video. As you may know, Greg Dulli and the boys will play ATP I'll Be Your Mirror and Dulli himself is responsible for one of its days as curator. Dulli recently dropped off a mixtape of artists playing the festival.
The Afghan Whigs are also confirmed to play a sold-out Terminal 5 on October 5.
Head below for a list of live dates, and that Kimmel video.
Walter Schreifels of Quicksand at Union Pool in 2010 (more by Redboy)
today in NYC
* Kotorino @ Barbes
* Jay Sean @ Luna Park
* Saadi, Jogyo @ Santos
* Nass Gnawa @ Zebulon
* Hollow Roots @ Joe's Pub
* Jackie Heyen @ The Stone
* Nas @ iHeartRadio Theater
* Kitty Pryde @ Vibe Lounge
* Drusi is Coming @ Joe's Pub
* Inspectah Deck @ BB King's
* Thollem Sworld @ The Stone
* Peanut Butter Wolf @ Le Bain
* Pedro Giurado Sextet @ Barbes
* Dunes, Household @ New Museum
* Quicksand, Italian Horn @ Bowery Ballroom
* Puro Instinct, Outer Limitz, Splash @ Glasslands
* Batillus, Gnaw, Summoner, Bezoar @ Saint Vitus
* DJ Pierre, Ron Morelli, Justin Strauss @ 285 Kent
* SFV Acid, Super Ugly, Harshboyz, Peter Fonda @ Big Snow
* The Juan Maclean (DJ Set), Brooklyn Bass @ Cameo Gallery
* Variety Lights, Dinowalrus, August Wells @ Public Assembly
* The Dikes of Holland, Dog Bite, Little Seizures @ Cake Shop
* Sublime with Rome, Cypress Hill, Pepper @ Williamsburg Park
* Eugene Mirman, A.C. Newman, Wyatt Cenac @ The Bell House
* Goldroom, Body Language (DJ Set), AIMES (DJ Set) @ Glasslands
* CCB Reggae All-Stars, Junior Toots, Top Shotta Band @ Brooklyn Bowl
* X-Ray Eyeballs, Useless Eaters, Nice Guys, King Prom @ Death By Audio
* 2 Skinnee J's, Wau Wau Sisters, Exes of Evil @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Apollo Run, Team Genius, Happy People, Alfonso Velez @ The Rock Shop
* Ghost Beach, Tiny Victories, Neighbors, Starlight Girls @ Delinquency BLVD
* Miguel, Ryan Leslie, Marcus Canty, Leah LaBelle, Deon Young @ J&R MusicFest
* Bird with Strings, Miguel Atwood-Ferguson, Daniel Carlton @ Marcus Garvey Park
* James Blood Ulmer Memphis Blood Blues Band featuring Vernon Reid @ City Winery
* Estrogen Highs, Nuclear Santa Claust, Trepanning, Trash Tide @ Brooklyn Fireproof
* Glenn Branca, Neptune, Christina Carter, White Suns, Action Beat @ Public Assembly
* Cinema Cinema, Jackpot, Tiger, Hounds Basket, Big Fur, Bambara, Big Ups @ Paper Box
* Alex Winston, Angela McClusky, Bandana Splits, Computer Magic (DJ Set) @ The Bowery Hotel
* Audio Fiction, Quiet Loudly, Fast Years, Indian Rebound, Wicked Tomorrow, Swaai Boys @ Pianos
* Fiasco, Dope Body, No One & The Somebodies, Infinity Shred, Butter The Children, Cave Cricket @ Shea Stadium
* Kastle, Distal, Giraffage, DJ Sliink, YEN TECH, Lemonade (DJ), Nite Jewel (DJ), Nadus, Elite Gymnastics (DJ), No Eyes, White Ring, Nadus, Westside Schmucks, Rezzie, Thomass, Rpeg, Mischeif, Lowry @ The Electric Warehouse
BrooklynVegan photo exhibit "480 Pixels" is up at 92YTribeca through September 6th. Stop by and check it out!
King Prom, featuring members of The Numerators and The Splinters, play their first-ever show tonight at Death by Audio, opening for Xray Eyeballs, Nashville's Useless Eaters and Boston's Nice Guys. Doors at 8 PM, show's at 9.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Major Lazer made a video for "Get Free" featuring Amber Coffman of Dirty Projectors. Check it out below.
Lucero made a video for "Women and Work." Check it out below.
Ice Choir made a video for "A Vision of Hell, 1996" and you can check that out below too.
Polica played Jimmy Kimmel on Wednesday (8/22). Check out a video of them performing "Dark Star" on the show below.
Pelle from the Hives practices his high jump @ Coachella 2012 (more by David Andrako)
After playing twice at Coachella, The Hives are stopping in NYC for a tiny show at The Studio at Webster Hall on Thursday (4/26) before heading back overseas. Tickets for the studio show sold out very quickly, but we're happy to say that we got our hands on a few more pairs, so we're giving away three more pairs of tickets in addition to the ten pairs we gave away to contest winners last week. Details on how to enter to win tickets are below.
If you weren't able to score tickets to the Studio show, you'll probably have an easier chance of grabbing some when The Hives return to the US for a string of East Coast dates in late June, including another stop in NYC at Terminal 5 on June 22nd. Tickets go on AMEX AND fan presale at noon on 4/25 (fan presale password = "lexhives") (sound familiar?) and regular sale on Friday (4/27) at noon.
In other news, The Hives appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live last night (4/24 at midnight), and you can check out the band performing their new songs "Go Right Ahead" and Wait A Minute" from their forthcoming Lex Hives below alongside all tour dates and contest details....
photos by Erik Erikson
Big Freedia @ Brooklyn Bowl
Big Freedia spent last night (1/25) teaching the US how to bounce at home as part of a live appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live. The diva performed "Excuse" and "Na Who Mad" from her recent EP, but unfortunately did not perform the new single "Booty-Whop" which was released this week via iTunes. Check out video of the New Orleans bounce phenom below, and if you're in LA then head to Bootleg Bar TONIGHT (1/26) to catch the booty-clapping in the flesh.
Big Freedia headlined Brooklyn Bowl on January 21, bringing her patented bounce to the venue along with support from Nicky Da B and Rusty Lazer. Pictures from the appearance adorn this post too. More below...
Sebadoh @ MusicFestNW 2011 (more by Autumn Andel)
today in NYC
* NY Comedy Festival
* MGMT @ Guggenheim Museum
* Martha Wainwright @ City Winery
* Prince Rama @ Issue Project Room
* Steven Wilson @ Best Buy Theater
* Sebadoh, Mazes, Risk/Reward @ Maxwell's
* Scott Amendola, Charlie Hunter @ The Stone
* Absu, Infernal Stronghold, Villains @ Europa
* Plaid, Gamelan Dharma Swara @ Le Poisson Rouge
* AIDS Wolf, Unicorn Hardon, DJ Dog Dick @ 92YTribeca
* Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue, Bonerama @ Terminal 5
* The Liz, Supersonic Piss, Alien Whale @ Death By Audio
* Bubbles, Nils Bech, J. Penry (DJ set) @ Santos Party House
* ARMS, Hospitality, Franz Nicolay, The Building @ Glasslands
* Blue Scholars, Bambu, The Physics, Gen.Erik @ Bowery Ballroom
* Kurt Vile & the Violators, Widowspeak, The Young @ Webster Hall
* Slowdance, Ava Luna, Phonetag, Rifle Recoil, Zula @ 285 Kent Ave
* None More Eleven: A Spinal Tap Appreciation Event @ The Rock Shop
* Anenzephalia, Pharmakon, Omei, Kama Rupa, Lussuria @ Public Assembly
* Frontier Ruckus, Hold Your Horses!, Lady Lamb The Beekeeper @ Littlefield
* Corsair, Mainland, American Darlings, Moonmen On The Moon, Man @ Cake Shop
* Girl in a Coma, The Coathangers, Clinical Trials, Sunday Masquerade @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Matthew Dear, Spinoza, Jacques Renault, Donor(Brooklyn Electronic Music Festival) @ Public Assembly
* Reggie Watts, Eclectic Method, Babe Rainbow, Beacon, Dominique Keegan(Brooklyn Electronic Music Festival) @ Cameo Gallery
* Schlachthofbronx, Dubble Dutch, Dre Skull, Shawn Reynaldo, Matt Shadetek, NIKKO(Brooklyn Electronic Music Festival) @ Zablotski's
* Gino Washington, Andre Williams, Melvin Davis, Reigning Sound, Jackie & The Cedrics(Norton Records 25th Anniversary) @ The Bell House
* Fischerpooner (DJ set), Diamond Rings, Cubic Zirconia, Party Supplies, Decades, Doldrums(Brooklyn Electronic Music Festival) @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Daedelus, Ander, Comandante Zero, PROGRAMS, Sarah Dahnke/Round Tuit Dance Project, tehn, n0izmkr(In/Out 2011: Digital Performance Festival) @ Knitting Factory
Feist and friends performed on Kimmel. Videos below...
Megadeth at Yankee Stadium (more by Dana (distortion) Yavin)
Coming off of their recent appearance at "The Big Four" Megadeth have announced the latest iteration of Gigantour and this time they've roped in the great Motorhead in addition to appearances from Volbeat and Lacuna Coil for the North American trek. The dates kick off in late January in Camden, NJ, eventually making its way up to Theater at Madison Square Garden on 1/28. Ticketing and VIP package deals for the Theater at MSG are forthcoming. All dates are listed below.
Megadeth welcomed their thirteenth LP TH1RT3EN (get it?) TODAY (11/1) via Roadrunner Records. TH1RT3EN is the follow-up to 2009's Endgame, and features "Public Enemy No. 1" which the band performed last night (10/31) on Jimmy Kimmel... in full costume! Video of that, alongside all dates and additional video is below...
Fleet Foxes @ Newport Folk Fest 2009 (more by Jim Brueckner)
today in NYC
* DUMBO Arts Fest
* Max Weinberg @ Iridium
* Particle @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Deke Dickerson @ Rodeo Bar
* Steely Dan @ Beacon Theater
* Fool's Gold @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Superhuman Happiness @ Zebulon
* Fucked Up, Wavves @ Webster Hall
* Ivy, Tahiti 80 @ Gramercy Theatre
* Bill Carney's Jug Addicts @ Barbes
* Men Without Hats @ Mexicali Live (NJ)
* Lotus, NiT GriT, Mux Mool @ Terminal 5
* Yo La Tengo @ Mayo Performing Arts (NJ)
* Megafaun, Doug Paisley @ Mercury Lounge
* Rhett Miller, Jim Ward @ Highline Ballroom
* Allen Otte, Bonnie Whiting Smith @ The Stone
* Susan Howe, David Grubbs @ Issue Project Room
* Rubulad Presents Swamp Things @ 171 Lombardy St
* Wild Beasts, BOBBY @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Evangelista/Carla Bozulich, Household @ Bruar Falls
* Fleet Foxes, The Walkmen @ Williamsburg Waterfront
* Spank Rock, Blu Jemz, Lloydski, Eli Escobar @ Le Bain
* These United States, Southeast Engine @ The Rock Shop
* RVIVR, Witches, P.S. Eliot, Nude Beach @ Death By Audio
* Mahogany, Brief Candles, Oceanographer @ Bowery Electric
* Liturgy, Ed Schrader, Nonhorse, Parquet Courts @ 285 Kent
* Malignancy, Sexcrement, Ex Dementia, Legionary @ Saint Vitus
* Grace Potter & The Nocturnals @ Central Park Rumsey Playfield
* Dom, Adventure, Vacationer, True Womanhood (DJ set) @ Glasslands
* Cave, Amen Dunes, K Holes, PC Worship @ Live with Animals Gallery
* Word, Rock, & Sword: A Musical Celebration of Women @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr., People Get Ready, Jump Into The Gospel @ Bowery Ballroom
* Sudden Infant, Carlos Giffoni, C. Spencer Yeh, Okkyung Lee, Yellow Tears @ Public Assembly
* Beast Make Bomb, The Death Set (DJ set), New York Rivals, Town Hall @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Celestial Shore, Night Manager, Heaven's Gate, Secret Mountains, Land and Peoples, Black Girls, Tiberius, Jeff Kesse @ 1031 Grand St
Lightsaber battle today
Radiohead is on SNL tonight.
Tonight is the first of two Megafaun shows at Mercury Lounge.
Sunday is the Beats in Space 12th Anniversary party on North 6th.
Indian Larry Block today:
Jimmy Kimmel asked people what they thought about R.E.M. breaking up. Video below...
photos by Dominick Mastrangelo
Ron Sexsmith @ Highline Ballroom
In the documentary film about Ron Sexsmith, "Love Shines," Elvis Costello casts the Canadian musician in the same realm as one of rock 'n' roll's historic performers."Love Shines" was an audience favorite at SXSW.
"I think Ron has got one of the purest seams of melody, that he has access to exclusively, since Paul McCartney," Costello says.
There's no higher praise, but some folks are undoubtedly saying "Who's Ron Sexsmith?"
...He's just released a fantastic album, "Long Player Late Bloomer," which features the production of Bob Rock, best known for his work with Metallica, Bon Jovi and Motley Crue. The biopic "Love Shines" premiered recently at South By Southwest, and Sexsmith made a national television appearance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!"
Sexsmith admits he's excited, a far cry from the melancholy that haunted him after his previous album, "Exit Strategy of the Soul," more or less tanked. When Rock agreed to produce "Long Player" Sexsmith's joy was leavened by a sense of disbelief. -[Pittsburgh Tribune-Review]
Speaking of Elvis Costello, who is playing a solo set at this year's Newport Folk Fest, he's playing a small, late show at Gramercy Theatre tonight (4/1), and probably something before that too. Those staying home can catch him on TV.
More pictures from that show (including one of the setlist), tour dates, videos from Kimmel and SXSW, the documentary trailer & more, below...
Mike Birbiglia & Michael Showalter @ Mirman Fest (more by David Andrako)
Amazingly there are also still tickets left for Birbigs' November 22nd "My Girlfriend's Boyfriend" show at UCB. That's a Monday which is convenient because then you can stick around for Whiplash.
The New York Comedy Festival presents "Louie: A Conversation with Louis C.K.", at the Paley Center this Wednesday, November 3rd. Tickets are on sale.
Who knows who will show up to play later that night, and the night after that, at UCB for two special non-Monday editions of Whiplash, aka "The Best of Whiplash."
Also Wednesday: "The world premiere of Dave Hill's Rock Shop with special guests PAT KIERNAN of NY1, MICHAEL SHOWALTER, and DOUG GILLARD (Guided By Voices/Nada Surf)!" I mean, I don't think you need to know more than that to immediately want to buy a ticket, but just in case:
Dave Hill's Rock Shop is a new comedy "talk" show which will hopefully happen the first Wednesday of each month at Park Slope's newest buzzworthy club, The Rock Shop. The show will run approximately an hour and will feature comedian/guitarist and Ohio native, Dave Hill hosting the shit out it. Dave Hill's Rock Shop will feature interviews with a famous or semi-famous or not so famous person, a famous or semi-famous or not so famous comedian, plus the focus of the show: Dave challenges a famous or semi-famous rock musician to a guitar duel (possibly to the death). The show is being produced by Caroline Creaghead (Tearing The Veil Of Maya / Eugene Mirman's Comedy Festival / The Rope Swing) and Jack McFadden (The Bell House / The Rock Shop booking guru) and is sure to have South Brooklyn peeps peeing in their seats (don't worry, we clean them, sorta).'Unlike one of the the non-Doug Gillard Guided By Voices shows coming up, The Rock Shop is offering no refunds.
Our debut show will be on Wednesday, November 3 at 7:30pm and features Pat Kiernan of NY1, comedian Michael Showalter, and guitar hero Doug Gillard of Nada Surf & Guided By Voices. The show will cost $7 and you'll feel pretty good about getting your 7 dollars worth. There will be no refunds.
One of Dave Hill's bands, the one with Moby in it, plays Mercury Lounge on December 4th. 21+. No refunds.
Mike Birbiglia was on Jimmy Kimmel last week. Video of his segment below...
Modest Mouse @ the 2010 Pitchfork Festival (more by Weekly Dig)
tonight in NYC
* The Mugs @ The Bell House
* Wakey! Wakey! @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Summer Blondes @ Cedar Mansion
* Lez Zeppelin @ Gramercy Theatre
* Sadhu Sadhu, Mad Scene @ Zebulon
* Keepaway, Violens @ Bowery Electric
* Bear Hands, Darlings @ Whitney Museum
* Modest Mouse @ Williamsburg Waterfront
* Dawes, Dylan LeBlanc (early) @ Maxwell's
* Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros @ Webster Hall
* Martial Carternal, Automelodi (late) @ Glasslands
* Perfume Genius, Metali Malay (early) @ Glasslands
* Hooray For Earth, Twin Shadow, Regal Degal @ Coco 66
* Curren$y with Dom Kennedy, Rich Hil @ Public Assembly
* Batusis, The Pioneers of Seduction, Sister Anne @ Europa
* The Main Ingredient with Cuba Gooding Sr. @ Rochdale Park
* Free Energy, Best Coast, Loose Limbs @ South Street Seaport
* Gary War, Super Vacations, K-Holes, Sultan @ Death By Audio
* blood pudding: a play by Sharon Bridgforth @ Springfield Park
* The Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater @ Central Park SummerStage
* The Sadies, Garth and Maud Hudson, Chicken Snake @ Bowery Ballroom
* The Ettes, Hans Condor, Suuns, Parlovr @ Knitting Factory Brooklyn
* Speed The Plough, Arbouretum, Little Gold, Heaven's Jail @ Cake Shop
* Big Troubles, Doug Gillard, Apollo Ghosts, Lame Drivers @ Bruar Falls
* White Trends, Sexy Crimes, Guts for Garters, Marching Teeth @ The Acheron
* The Abrams Brothers, M Shanghai String Band, Joy Kills Sorrow @ 92YTribeca
* Wolff, Emok, The Netherlands, Porfirio, Starcrossed Signs, Kreisor @ Pianos
* Medications, Deleted Scenes, The Royal Chains, The Sanctuaries @ Littlefield
* Uniconicopia, 12,000 Trees, Imaginary Weapons, Follower @ Monster Island Basement
* GBH, Outernational, Razor Blade Hand Grenade, Cerebral Ballzy @ Highline Ballroom
* Jim Jones Revue, The Ribeye Brothers, Shilpa Ray & Her Happy Hookers (late) @ Maxwell's
Batutsis (Syl Sylvain and Cheetah Chrome) tonight originally scheduled for Irving Plaza is at Europa.
Free Energy & Best Coast co-headline the free show at South Street Seaport today.
Check out This Week in Indie
M.I.A. headlines the two-stage show at Governors Island tomorrow. Set times HERE.
Double Rainbow guy went on Jimmy Kimmel (again). Videos below...
Massive Attack @ Terminal 5 (more by Chris La Putt)
Massive Attack's American holiday continues. Last night the band made their U.S. televesion debut, along with Martina Topley-Bird, on Jimmy Kimmel Live. Three videos from the "mini-outdoor concert" below...
"For me Malc was always entertaining, and I hope you remember that. Above all else he was an entertainer and i will miss him, and so should you" - Johnny Rotten on Malcom McLaren
Public Image Ltd's upcoming US tour kicks off Tuesday night, April 13th in LA before continuing to Coachella for a show on Friday. The trip was scheduled to end with a show at Terminal 5 on Tuesday, May 18th - tickets for that are still on sale, but the band has added a second NYC date for the same venue on Wednesday, May 19th. Tickets for that go on sale Friday at noon (and they'll probably be an AmEx presale before then too).
PiL played Jimmy Kimmel Live on April 7th (reactions to the performance were mixed). Jimmy's interview with Johnny Rotten and an April 9th interview on Fox's Red Eye (where Johnny Rotten talks about the recent death of Malcolm McLaren) are posted below...