Entries tagged with: Kristen Schaal
the seventh in a series where we asked comedians to tell us what was good this year....
Kristen Schaal is a favorite of mine and a favorite of BV readers. Lotsa people know her as Mel from the show Flight of the Conchords, but she's much more than that. She hosts Hot Tub Variety Show with Kurt Braunohler and has a series of videos on Super Deluxe called Penelope Princess of Pets (also with Braunohler). She's also won several awards including Best Alternative Comedian at the HBO US Comedy Arts Festival, an Andy Kaufman Award, and a Best Female Stand-up Award at the 2006 Nightlife Awards in NYC. Recently Kristen parted ways with South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone because her ideas were too weird (their loss!). Kristen took some time to tell BV what tunes she was really into in '07. - Klaus
- - -
Top Ten Songs that I discovered this year in no particular order:
- "And I Won't Cause Anything At All" - Loney, Dear
- "Bridge" - Lucy Wainwright Roche
- "We Used To Be Friends" - Dandy Warhols
- "All My Lovin'" - Valley Lodge
- "One time Too Many" - Phoenix
- "Heimdalsgate Like A Promethean Curse" - Of Montreal
- "Better" - Regina Spektor
- "Sister Winter" - Sufjan Stevens
- "Back In Your Head" - Tegan and Sara
- "Easy To Be Around" - Diane Cluck
Max Silvestri @ Rififi, NYC - Oct 29, 2007 (CRED)
In addition to all the special comedy shows always going on, don't forget that there are plenty of shows that happen weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly in NYC that are always reliable, rarely over $5, and usually feature some of the biggest comedians in the business. Why, just the other day Invite Them Up featured Jim Gaffigan, Demetri Martin, Nick Kroll, Andy Blitz, and Max Silvestri. Nuts, right!? Here are some other recurring shows I highly recommend.
- Totally J/K with Joe and Noah: Every other Monday at Rififi with Joe Mande and Noah Garfinkle
- At Night with Gabe and Jenny: Mondays at Rififi
- Sweet: Tuesday at The Slipper Room with Seth Herzog
- Invite Them Up: Wednesdays at Rififi with Eugene Mirman and Bobby Tisdale
- Greg Johnson & Larry Murphy: Fridays at Rififi with Greg Johnson and Larry Murphy
- It is It: Monthly at Pianos with Adam Lowitt (The Daily Show)
- Tearing the Veil of Maya: Sundays at Union Hall with Eugene Mirman and Michael Showalter
The Onion Holiday Rampage will be taking place at Crash Mansion on December 18, 2007 and it is a whopper. This evening of wonder will be hosted by the great Kristen Schaal and Kurt Braunohler and feature the comedy of John Oliver and Jim Gaffigan as well as the music of Northern State and Celebration. Tickets for this 21+ show are $15.00 and can be purchased at ticketweb. Proceeds from the show will go to benefit 826 NYC.
In related news, Celebration play their headlining show at Bowery Ballroom TONIGHT (Nov 28, 2007). Holy Fuck & Effi Breast open. I have two pairs of tickets to give away. Details on how to win, the Onion flyer, and more tour dates, below....
We hosted a Flight of the Conchords (FOTC) contest. Some winners won passes to a screening of the first episode of the new HBO series. Now EVERYONE - even those who don't have HBO (like me) - can watch the first episode thanks to the kind folks at HBO.com. Look for appearances by UCB, Rififi and Union Hall regulars Arj Barker, Eugene Mirman, and Kristen Schaal.
Speaking of Kristen Schaal who was also a guest on the 24 Hour Human Giant Marathon on MTV, we asked all those entering the FOTC contest to tell us who their favorite stand up comedian was. We got something like 50 comedian names total, but these were - by a small margin - the top seven:
your favorite comedians
1) Demetri Martin
2) David Cross
3) Mitch Hedberg
4) George Carlin
5) Aziz Ansari (tie)
5) Brian Posehn (tie)
5) Kristen Schaal (tie)
That's right - you like Kristen Schaal as much as you like Aziz Ansari who you like just as much as Brian Posehn WHO LOVES METAL.........