Entries tagged with: Lady Circus
by Andrew Frisicano
The line to Bonnaroo, with a rumored wait of up to 5 hours (Cody Gray)
Concertgoers are filing in to the eighth annual Bonnaroo Festival in Manchester, TN, which kicks off tonight (June 11th) and runs till Sunday, June 14th. Doors opened at 7am, and currently, most sources report a bit of a delay getting in. Of course, it wouldn't be a festival if a local law enforcement agency failed to make a well-publicized seizure of drugs allegedly en route.
Highlights tonight include Janelle Monae and Passion Pit. The fest's first full day, Friday, will feature performances by Beastie Boys, Phish and David Byrne with his "Songs of David Byrne and Brian Eno" tour. Earlier that day, a Byrne-curated stage will host Santigold, St. Vincent, Dirty Projectors and Katzenjammer.
For those not at the fest, ATT will be streaming a webcast of select sets from the festival starting Friday (some live, some delayed). Those include Animal Collective, St. Vincent and Passion Pit on Friday, Grace Potter & the Nocturnals and The Decemberists on Saturday, and Andrew Bird, Of Montreal and Booker T with the Drive By Truckers on Sunday. Full schedule below.
Brooklyn's Lady Circus are at the festival as part of the Bonnaroo Buskers. Look for them around the grounds each night. NYC comedian Dave Hill's band Valley Lodge are playing as the Comedy Stage's 'house band'. Other Comedy acts at the fest include the Daily Show Stars, with John Oliver, Rob Riggle, Rory Albanese, Wyatt Cenac, Kristen Schaal and Kurt Braunohler, as well as Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter doing their new show Michael and Michael Have Issues with guests Aziz Ansari and Nick Kroll.
The full Bonnaroo Festival lineup, with the webcast schedule, is posted below...
Delta Spirit @ Bowery Ballroom in February (more by Tim Griffin)
tonight in NYC
* THIS WEEK IN INDIE
* The Dave Hill Explosion @ UCB
* Gene Ween Band @ PS 29 Auditorium
* The Shins, Delta Spirit @ Terminal 5
* Bruce Springsteen @ The Izod Center
* Bonnie "Prince" Billy @ Apollo Theater
* Jonah Matranga, Chase Pagan @ Mercury Lounge
* Ann Anderson, Twi The Humble Feather @ Monkey Town
* Thrones, Blues Control, Lake, Popped Blimp @ Coco 66
* Lady Circus and FUCT in Cirque du Quoi @ House of Yes
* CircleSquare, Michna, Zombie Zombie, Apache Beat @ Studio B
* Senors of Marseille, pow wow!, Dinosaur Feathers @ The Cameo
* Alina Simone, The Black Swans, Lindsay Sullivan @ Union Hall
* Her Space Holiday, City Light, Lymbyc Systym @ The Bell House
* Psychedelic Horseshit, These Are Powers, Pterodactyl @ Glasslands
* White Rabbits, Cymbals Eat Guitars, The Antlers @ Bowery Ballroom
* Cheetah Crome (Dead Boys), The Blackhearts, Sister Anne, Kissy Kamikaze @ Europa
* 826NYC Prom w/ DJ sets from Vampire Weekend, Pat Mahoney, Hercules & Love Affair @ MHOW
* Dylan Fest w/ Hymns, Adam Green, members of The Strokes, Fountains of Wayne, Teenage Prayers, more @ Mercury Lounge
'A TWISTED AND TITILLATING COMEDY CIRCUS': "Adult sketch comedy troupe FUCT and Lady Circus, a performing arts troupe specializing in a concoction of riot and glamour have joined forces to present Cirque du Quoi?!? at 8pm on May 21st and 22nd, May 28th-30th and June 4th-6th at The Skybox at the House of Yes, 342 Maujer Street, Williamsburg, Brooklyn (between Morgan Avenue & Waterbury Street, just east of the Grand Street stop on the L train). Tickets are $20 or $10 for student rush."
UPCOMING BENEFIT: heart&feet -- "a Unique Party to Benefit the Pediatric Dance Therapy Program at Memorial Sloan-Kettering -- is happening on Thursday, June 18th at EMI Music (150 5th Ave). At the event, "New York dance companies, Synthesis Dance Project and Border Crossing Collective join forces with the Andréa Rizzo Foundation for a night of cocktails, hors d'oeuvres, and live dance." More information at Drea's Dream.
No Bra performed at Santos Party House Tuesday night. NSFW video below...
photos by Ryan Muir
Lady Circus is a performing arts troupe in New York City composed of nine ladies who perform solo, in small groups, or in a variety show setting in their entirety. Founded by New York based Anya Sapozhnikova in 2007.Lady Circus performed The Rusted Gun Saloon four times (so far). The final show was January 24th. That's the one Ryan and I both went to. The live music, the Lady Circus performers, the DIY space, the original story, the homemade costumes, the $20 ticket price... everything was great, In case they do it again, I don't want to spoil it any more than the pictures already do. More of them (NSFW), below...
Lady Circus, self-described as "an intoxicating cocktail of riot and glamour," considers themselves to be, "a mix of sideshow, brooklyn grit, and 1920's gilded decadence finished off with a modern edge." Their performances use circus arts to entertain and address political and social issues. Members have been sighted using stilts, hula hoops, fire fans, poi, aerial silk, lyra, trapeze, contortion, glass walking, sword swallowing, fire eating, rhythmic gymnastics and combinations thereof across a variety of venues including warehouse parties, galas, benefits, parades, art openings, and private events presenting a diverse skill-set.
Lady Circus performed traditionally one gig at a time, tailoring their acts to each performance space and purpose. As their rehearsal space at The House of YES became rebuilt after a devastating fire in April 2008, their ability to create a full stage show came to fruition.
January 2009: Lady Circus completes first full stage production for The Sky Box Aerial Theatre that operates at the new House of YES. The show is titled "Lady Circus and The Mickey Western Band Present: The Rusted Gun Saloon" A tumultuous tale of love, jealousy, greed, and violence. Including live music and circus in the sky and on the ground!
Devotchka @ Terminal 5 (more by Ryan Muir)
today in NYC
* Garotas Suecas @ Rubulad
* Lady Circus @ the House of Yes
* Dave Godwosky @ 92YTribeca (free)
* Devotchka @ Webster Hall
* Modeselektor @ Bowery Ballroom
* M83 & M83 @ The Fillmore New York at Irving Plaza
* Sam McPheeters & Daniel Higgs @ Silent Barn
* Au & Stars Like Fleas @ (le) poisson rouge
* The Honey Brothers, Xylos & The Prigs @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Oxford Collapse, Suckers & Real Estate @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Care Bears On Fire & Rachel Trachtenburg @ The Bell House
* Psychic Ills, Axolotl & John Fell Ryan (DJ) @ Rehab
* ESG, JG Wilkes, Sal Principato, & Matt Cash @ (le) poisson rouge
* Thomas Function, Spanish Prisoners & My Mind @ Cake Shop
* Red Black Wire, Bell, Hockey, Like a Fox & Esque @ Pianos
The Muggabears, Asa Ransom, Sigmund Droid & Nymph @ 92YTribeca
* Bryan Scary & The Shredding Tears, The Picture, Ford & Fitzroy & Attack Release @ Mercury Lounge
* Runtime Error (of Fiasco), Consumer Feedback, Sediment Club, Graffiti Monsters & 999999999 @ Death By Audio
Garotas Suecas have added one more show to their US tour. Tonight at Rubulad.
Lady Circus and the Mickey Western Band present The Rusted Gun Saloon tonight at the House of Yes ("live music, circus in the air, and on the ground).
Racehel Trachtenburg (who is playing the all-ages show at the Bell House tonight before the club gets taken over by DJ Vito Fun) sings Pink Floyd's Gnome in the video below...