Entries tagged with: Lil Wayne
Public Enemy are celebrating Flavor Flav's 50th birthday at B.B. King Blues Club and Grill on Sunday March 15th. Tickets are on sale.
Seal (does anyone like Seal?) is playing Radio City Music Hall on April 16th. Tickets are on Am Ex presale.
A psychic looks into Lil Wayne's future, and 1965 footage of Tom Jones, in the videos below...
Lil Wayne, T Pain, Gym Class Heroes, and Keri Hilson are playing the Prudential Center on March 19. Tickets go on sale Saturday at 10AM.
Adele's May show at Roseland Ballroom is
sold out is still on sale. Franz Ferdinand's show at the same venue is also still on sale. Tickets are also still available for Lily Allen's show there in April. Adele doesn't, but Lily, Franz, Duffy and Estelle all have songs on the new War Child Heroes charity comp.
The Gaslight Anthem added a May 8th show with Pela and Good Ole War at the Stone Pony. Tickets are on sale. The Gaslight Anthem are also playing Sasquatch and Coachella and Webster Hall. Pela also have some shows coming up at Mercury Lounge.
Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton are playing the Izod Center on June 10th. Tickets go on sale Saturday at 10AM.
Daryl Hall and John Oates are playing two night at Irving Plaza in March. Tickets range from $80 to $150 and are on sale.
AC/DC @ The Izod Center (more by Ryan Muir)
If anyone had any doubt that touring is where the money is in the music business, a quick look at the top Moneymakers for 2008 should hammer the point home.I hope Kanye West can handle being below The Jonas Brothers (and Lil Wayne). The whole list below...
Regardless of genre, retail sales or radio play, each of the 20 acts on Billboard's Moneymakers list toured in 2008. (Taylor Swift mostly opened for Brad Paisley but doesn't get credit for that revenue). For almost all of them, touring generated the most revenue. And in a year when recorded-music sales declined yet again, many earned more at the box office than ever before. [Billboard]
Spank Rock is performing at a Unis & Anna Sheffeild party tonight (2/12) at Chloe (81 Ludlow St) (10pm - 3am)
The Duke Spirit are performing an an Alexander McQueen party on Friday (2/13) at 330 West St (8-11 p.m.) The Duke Spirit also play NYC-area shows on Sunday and Monday.
NY Magazine's Fashion Week party list includes performances and/or DJ sets by The Virgins (acoustic), James Murphy, Mandy Coon (2MANDYDJS), Mike Nouveau, Deakin (Animal Collective) (DJ set), and White Magic (DJ set).
Santos Party House is hosting a Fashion Week party (DOSSIER / NOMIA) on Sunday (2/15) with DJ Holy Ghost and a live set by Lemonade (downstairs 9pm... 21+).
A rumor is going around that Thom Yorke is here and possibly performing, but Men.Style.com says...
I've got some good news and some bad news for all you fashion, music, and fashion music fans. The bad news first: Despite the rumors Twittering around the Interwebs, Thom Yorke will not, in fact, be playing tomorrow's Rag & Bone show. The good news, however, is that the Radiohead singer did "curate" the tunes that'll accompany the models down the runway. Guess he's returning the favor after the nice bomber jacket the lads hooked him up with for the Grammys. (Notably, Lil Wayne also wore the brand last Sunday--who knows, maybe he's hard at work on a playlist for Spring 2010.) In any case, autograph seekers should leave the Sharpies at home, as I'm told Yorke won't even be at the show. (I assume the same's true for Wayne.)In other Thom Yorke
This is the second time Terminator Salvation came up recently. The first was because of Christian Bale freaking out.
Leave more party tips (if you have them) (preferably ones where bands are playing) in the comments.
TMZ can confirm that Chris Brown just entered an LAPD station, where he turned himself in to police.Radiohead did show up the Grammys, as did an even MORE pregnant M.I.A.. Robert Plant and Alison Krauss took best album (for an album that came out on indie label Rounder Records). Video of Radiohead and M.I.A.'s performances, and a list of all winners (including Daft Punk) below...
Chris is being investigated by the LAPD for an alleged domestic violence felony battery that occurred early this morning near Hancock Park in L.A. Police officials said earlier today they may arrest Brown when they found him. Well, now they know where he is.
According to the female victim -- who cops refuse to identify -- she and Chris got into an argument which turned violent. Cops say when they arrived to the scene, Brown had split, but the woman had "visible injuries and identified Brown as her attacker."
Brown and his girlfriend Rihanna were together earlier last night, attending Clive Davis' pre-Grammy party -- and both canceled their scheduled performances at tonight's event.
Brown is currently being interviewed by detectives. [TMZ]
Paul McCartney, Radiohead, Justin Timberlake and the quadruple threat of Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, T.I. and Kanye West have been added to the performance lineup for the 51st annual Grammy Awards, to be held Feb. 8 at Los Angeles' Staples Center.The pictured poster is an actual Grammy promo and Thom Yorke actually appears in a video commercial. Watch it below...
McCartney will be backed by Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl on drums, while Radiohead will be making its first live U.S. television performance in nearly nine years.
Meanwhile, Jay-Z, Wayne, T.I. and West will team to perform the hit single "Swagga Like Us," while T.I. and Timberlake will also perform together.
Previously announced Grammy performers include Kenny Chesney, Coldplay, Jennifer Hudson, Jonas Brothers, Katy Perry and Carrie Underwood. [Billboard]
Krallice under the M Train (more by Leia Jospe)
today in NYC
* Ratatat @ Terminal Five
* Eugene Mirman Comedy Fest
* a hardcore benefit @ Studio B
* The Bad Plus @ Village Vanguard
* Pinback & Kylesa @ Music Hall OW
* Pwrfl Power & Grampall Jookabox @ KF
* Krallice, Satanized, White Suns @ Less Artists More Condos
* They Might Be Giants & Les Chauds Lapin @ (le) poisson rouge
* The Assault, Dynasty Electric, Ex-Debutantes @ Cake Shop
* Throw Me the Statue, David Vandervelde @ Union Hall
* Grimace Federation, Ports of Call, Origami Jets, Windsor Circle @ Rehab
* Marnie Stern, These Are Powers, Neptune, Screaming Females @ Silent Barn
* Jeffrey Lewis, Dufus, Pregnant, Barrakuda McMurder, Jettison Sister @ Maxwell's
* Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players, Pleaseeasaur, Anamanaguchi @ KF
* Oxford Collapse, Takka Takka, Grandma's Boy (ex-Bishop Allen) @ Mercury Lounge
* Black Dice, IUD (members of Gang Gang Dance), Jesse Fischler (DJ Set), Justin Vandervolgen (DJ Set) @ Santos Party House
* Sufjan curates BAM w/ St. Vincent, The Budos Band & Naomi Shelton
Lil' Wayne was born today in 1982
"MySpace's new music service managed to bring major record labels together, but a group that licenses song rights for thousands of independent labels feels left out and angry, partly because indie musicians were a big reason the social networking site rose to prominence in the first place." [AP]
Happy World Tourism Day
Video from the Thrill Kill Kult show at Europa last night below...
Tickets for the Izod Center NJ show are on sale (thx rajohn & nick)
photos by Bao Nguyen
"In the three-year history of this festival, no act has ever been late - not even by a few minutes. It always impressed me that the artists maintained enough professionalism to be on time and the organizers insisted on a tight schedule.Lil Wayne's late set cut into Iggy Pop's regularly scheduled set time on a different stage, but Bao also managed to catch at least parts of both of them. Iggy Pop played a show in NYC the same weekend. Still no word on his gear. More Baltimore pictures below...
So who does Lil Wayne think he is?
His scheduled start time was 3:50 p.m. Around that time, a roadie came out to test a guitar. Not a good sign....
...So, finally, just past 4:30, His Highness appeared, walking onto the stage in a tight white T-shirt, black jeans, shades and a University of Texas baseball cap as if he had all the time in the world. Without anything resembling an apology, Wayne started rapping along to the pre-recorded version of "Full Clip," his jeans already halfway down his thighs....
...With that, he announced he was going to "blow ya alls minds," the radio friendly hook of "Lollipop" began and Kanye West - on deck for tonight's closing slot - raced out to rap a few verses....
...I did make it down to the other stage in time to see Iggy Pop, plastered in sweat from head to toe and, as usual, displaying his unbelievably ripped torso (dude is 61!!)." [MyTimesDispatch.com]
Vivian Girls @ Market Hotel (more by Ryan Muir)
today in NYC
* FREE STUFF
* Louis CK @ Carolines
* Emmylou Harris @ Town Hall
* Band of Holy Joy @ Southpaw
* Raekwon & Cappadonna @ BB Kings
* 65daysofstatic @ Mercury Lounge
* Sloan & Bear Hands @ Bowery Ballroom
* Man in Gray's final show at The Delancey
* Modest Mouse @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* REM, The National and Modest Mouse @ MSG
* LA Riots & Naive New Beaters @ Hiro Ballroom
* Crystal Castles & Woodhands @ Studio B (free)
* Shearwater, Frog Eyes and Evangelicals @ MHOW
* Pale Nimbus, Gates of Heaven @ Death by Audio
* Gibby Haynes & C. Spencer Yeh @ Issue Project Room
* Medeski, Martin and Wood @ Prospect Park Bandshell (free)
* Vivian Girls, The Muslims, & Hong Kong Blood Opera @ Santos Party House
Two big free shows in Brooklyn tonight, though the Medeski, Martin and Wood one in Park Slope one should be less of a hassle to see than the Crystal Castles one in Williamsburg.
Evangelicals played Cake Shop the other night. Tonight they open for Shearwater. Soon they open for Conor Oberst.
Last chance ever to see Man in Gray. Two chances to see Modest Mouse tonight.
some hip hop in the news
* Rapper's Road to Pop
* P Diddy did not change his name
* Fifty Cent and His Ex Get Court Orders
* Nas moves new album back two weeks
* Missy Elliott prepares for a summer "Block Party"
* DJ Green Lantern & Nas release The Nigger Tape
* On 'Carter III,' Lil' Wayne perfects the art of the brag
* Kanye West, Lupe & N.E.R.D. added another NYC show
* Lil Wayne's CD, fueled by leaks, poised to sell more than any album so far this year
Black Sheep are playing Knitting Factory in NYC tonight (6/11).
Also coming up: Kidz in the Hall @ S.O.B's, the 'Hip Hop Anniversary Tour' at the Paradise Theaterin the Bronx (with AFRIKAA BAMBATA, KURTIS BLOW, GRANDMASTER MELE MEL, ROB BASE, DANA DANE, GRAND WIZARD THEODORE, FORCE MD'S, AIR FORCE CREW, POSITIVE K, DJ HOLLYWOOD, LOVE BUG STARSKI, and DJ KOOL HERC), Lil Wayne in CT, and Black Sheep at Knitting Factory.
Craig Wedren & Nicole Atkins @ Bowery Ballroom, Jan 25, 2008 (music snob)
* Supergrass signs to Astralwerks
* U2's manager says take away your Internet
* Led Zeppelin may tour, but not yet
* Robert Plant talked/stuttered about MSG, at MSG
* Rap mogul "Suge" Knight named in gang crackdown
* Lil Wayne Addresses Drug Charges
* Arctic Monkeys get record seven NME nominations
* Imeem Buys Social Music Service Anywhere.FM
* Sony Ericsson cuts deals with 10 music labels
* Qtrax didn't make a deal with any
Super Furry Animals @ Music Hall, Jan 25, 2008 (Ryan Dombal)
DOWNLOAD: Busta Rhymes - Dangerous (Silk Remix) (MP3)
"With four hip-hop heavies in the house, any enterprising promoter could have staged a rap concert. But the house was Manhattan Criminal Court, and the rappers — Busta Rhymes, Ja Rule, Lil Wayne and Remy Ma — were there Wednesday on separate cases ranging from assault to weapons possession."...ALSO....
Busta Rhymes, whose real name is Trevor Smith, was ordered to return Jan. 23 when jury selection will begin for his trial on assault and drunken driving charges.
Rhymes, 35, is accused of kicking a fan, punching a former employee, driving drunk and driving with a suspended license.
Ja Rule, born Jeffrey Atkins, was told to come back Dec. 5. The 31-year-old rapper was arrested on weapons charges last July after police stopped his 2004 Maybach — a car that sells for up to $400,000 — and found a loaded .40-caliber handgun.
Lil Wayne, 24, was ordered to reappear in court Feb. 25. The performer, whose real name is Dwayne Carter, was arrested for illegal gun possession after he performed at the same concert in Manhattan as Ja Rule.
Prosecutors say police officers smelled marijuana coming from Lil Wayne's tour bus, and as they approached, he tossed aside a bag with a loaded .40-caliber handgun.
Grammy-nominated Remy Ma, 26, whose real name is Remy Smith, is charged with assault and witness tampering. She is accused of shooting an acquaintance over money and then trying to intimidate her. She was told to return Dec. 5.
Remy Ma, who has recorded songs with Busta Rhymes and Lil Wayne, said she knew all the other rappers who were in court and considered them friends. [Yahoo]
* Da Drought 3 is a two-disc mixtape by Lil Wayne
* Stylus loves Da Drought 3 a lot
* The Carter III will be released in February
* the photo in this post in not the real cover
* Cat Power covers Lil Wayne (Hot Boys)
DOWNLOAD: Cat Power - Song To Bobby (new MP3) (via)
DOWNLOAD: Cat Power - Naked If i Want To (live in Dallas, 2006) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Bob Dylan - I Believe In You (live in Boston, 2004) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Eartha Kitt - Angelitos Negros (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Joni Mitchell - Blue (MP3)
1. New York (Frank Sinatra)The new Cat Power covers record is called "Jukebox", comes out January 22nd, and two of the songs aren't covers. One track is a new version of an old Cat Power song, and "Song to Bobby" is totally new, and totally at the top of this post for download. The song has some Dylan in it, and her cover of Dylan's "I Believe in You" comes right after it on the album. She also covered Dylan ("Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again") for the I'm Not There soundtrack, and she may or may not have played Dylan at the Beacon Theatre this evening (like she did at Lincoln Center in 2006).
2. Ramblin' (Wo)man (Hank Williams)
3. Metal Heart (Cat Power) (new version)
4. Silver Stallion (The Highwaymen)
5. Aretha, Sing One For Me (George Jackson)
6. Lost Someone (James Brown)
7. Lord, Help The Poor And Needy (Jessie Mae Hemphill)
8. I Believe In You (Bob Dylan)
9. Song To Bobby (Cat Power) (new song)
10. Don't Explain (Billie Holiday)
11. Woman Left Lonely (Janis Joplin)
12. Blue (Joni Mitchell)
Limited-edition silver foil deluxe package bonus disc:
1. I Feel (Hot Boys)
2. Naked, If I Want To (Moby Grape)
3. Breathless (Nick Cave)
4. Angelitos Negros (Roberta Flack)
5. She's Got You (Patsy Cline)
"That's Japanese for Fucking Awesome"....
Irv Gotti, Ja Rule, Lil' Wayne & Kanye West @ Beacon Theatre July 22, 07 (CRED)
Last night (Sunday, July 22) was the Lil' Wayne show at Beacon Theatre in NYC - his first real NYC show, and many of his friends were in attendance. Juelz Santana, Kanye West, Irv Gotti, and Ja Rule all got up on stage with him. More photos @ ryandombal's Flickr. News of how both Lil Wayne AND Ja Rule were arrested after the show, @ Gothamist.
Tickets are still on sale for Lil' Wayne @ Beacon Theatre on July 22nd.
pharoahe monch + styles p @ Highline Ballroom, NYC - June 29, 2007 (CRED)
styles showed up at the p. monch show to collab for "the life". pharoahe is on some street soul tip for this current tour with a live band. i'm feeling it, desire is my joint right now. [thisismecl]NEWS
- Even though we already know this isn't true, everyone is jumping on this story of Timbaland allegedly retiring, it's really just based on some off the cuff boasting remarks.
- A Tribe Called Quest's Q-Tip is hard at work on his upcoming The Renaissance album. Stream "WorkItOut" (real, mov, asx).
- In case anyone got the wrong impressions Cassidy lets us know that his upcoming album 'B.A.R.S.' (Sept. 18th) album is 'not church music'.
- One of my favorite rappers of 2006, Obie Trice is interviewed on XXL and speaks on his new work, the state of Hip Hop (who doesn't nowadays), and more. Interesting read.
- Prefix gives us a bunch of photos and videos of the Pharaohe Monch show at Highline last week.
- Master P's new clean lyrics album Gutta Music Allstars, and an exclusive track called 'Let the Kids Grow' is going up on AmieStreet tomorrow. Master P says,
As you may have heard, Romeo and I are taking a stand against the negativity in hip-hop because we all need to be responsible for our actions and the communities we represent. Similarly, Amie Street is out there making a positive impact on the future of online music by making it available to people in a new way and I like what they've got going on.More about that here.
- Public Enemy's Chuck D signs on with Tunecore for his digital distribution.
- The legendary breakdancing Rock Steady Crew is celebrating their 30th (!!!) anniversary with events from July 23rd-29th in Manhattan, the Bronx and a free concert at Lincoln Park in Newark.