Entries tagged with: Lilacs and Champagne
by Fred Pessaro // BBG
Lilacs & Champagne, the hip-hop influenced project featuring members of Om/Grails/Holy Sons, have released another commercial for Danish & Blue, the band's new album due via Mexican Summer on April 23. The trippy, VHS-culled trailer (directed by Emil Amos) follows a prior trailer as well as a video for the single "Sour / Sweet," all available below.
Old school hip hop fans, don't be scared off by the band's pedigree; L&C can sit comfortably by some of the odder productions by MF Doom, Madlib and even early DJ Shadow and RJD2. Check out the single and trailers below.
Empress Of @ Glasslands, December 2012 (more by Robert Altman)
* Thiefs @ Joe's Pub
* Harold Night @ UCB
* Leni Stern @ Barbes
* The Chives @ The Stone
* Ashley Paul @ The Stone
* Tanya Tagaq @ Joe's Pub
* Slavic Soul Party @ Barbes
* Marsha Ambrosius @ S.O.B.'s
* Empress Of, Brazo @ Pianos
* The Enso String Quartet @ Barbes
* Boxed Wine, The Kickback @ Maxwell's
* PAWS, Dinowalrus, Ovlov @ Glasslands
* Corn Mo, Bonaparte, Judy Kang @ Pianos
* Marcia Ball, Cindy Cashdollar @ City Winery
* Preservation Hall Jazz Band @ McKittrick Hotel
* The Allman Brothers Band @ Beacon Theatre
* Spires, Zula, Many Mansions @ Death By Audio
* Delta Rae, ZZ Ward, Martin Harley @ Irving Plaza
* Rony's Insomnia, Amy Regan @ The Living Room
* Screen Eyed Baby Ice, Miles Pflanz @ Muchmore's
* Workout, Slam Donahue, Nicos Gun @ Brooklyn Bowl
* The Postelles, Arkells, Ambassadors @ Santos Party House
* Lenorable, Silent Drape Runners, Pleasure Curses @ Cake Shop
* Mail The Horse, Wolf, Goat, The Chickenhawks @ Grand Victory
* Motive, Spirit Animal, Starlight Girls, Indigo Wild @ Mercury Lounge
* pow wow!, Yoni Gordon, Rare Monk, Mount Sharp @ Cameo Gallery
* Peter Mulvey, Jeffrey Foucault, Marc Carroll @ Rockwood Music Hall
* The Academics, Slow Dance Chubby, Anna Rose, Sonic Cult @ Arlene's Grocery
* Coolzey, Raashan Ahmad, Schaffer the Darklord, Philly Moves @ Knitting Factory
* Delicate Steve, Total Slacker, Celestial Shore, Jason Bartell (of Fang Island) @ 285 Kent
* Daniel in The Dark, Daniel Mustard, Kevin Rath, Brad Cole, Nathyn Knott @ Bowery Electric
* Dave Hill, llana Glazer and Abbi Jacobson, Michael Gottwald (producer of Beasts of the Southern Wild), Hilly Eye @ UCBEast
You might want to stick around Pianos and catch theatrical Berlin singer Bonaparte who'll be performing with Corn Mo as well as his "divas."
Scottish indie rockers PAWS make their U.S. debut at Glasslands tonight and tickets are still available. You can also still enter to win a copy of their tour cassette (only 50 made). You can stream their debut album, Cokefloat!, below.
SXSW is a week away. Follow @BVSXSW on Twitter.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Grails side project Lilacs & Champagne will return with their second album, Danish & Blue, in April. You can check out the video for first single, "Sweet/Sour," below.
New Zealand's The Phoenix Foundation will release their new album, Fandango, on May 14. You can watch the video to "The Captain" below.
R&B singer Jeremih teamed up with producer Shlohmo (who previously remixed Jeremih's "Fuck U All The Time") for their first official collaboration-- a new song written from scratch for Yours Truly's "Songs From Scratch" sessions. You can watch a video which splices interviews with the two artists and some clips of them in the studio below. The song, titled "Bo Peep," will be made available on March 19.
Art for the Lilacs & Champagne LP
It's nearly impossible to nail down a Grails release as far as influence is concerned; odd 70s soundtracks, prog, kraut-rock, post-rock, goth and dashes of metal all rear their head in every release in equal measure. Every song is a journey, a similar tactic employed on the new Lilacs & Champagne LP. The band, which features half of Grails including Emil Amos of Om/Holy Sons and Alex Hall, uses those influences as a jumping off point but explores psychedelia through the lens of hip hop, filtering the music as it might be envisioned by MF Doom, Madlib, J.Dilla, or The Alchemist.
In celebration of their debut release (out TODAY via Mexican Summer), Lilacs & Champagne have kindly shared a recent DJ set entitled Suicide Solution Vol.1 exclusively here. The record also features "Sensations", which also makes its debut here, as well as "Everywhere, Everyone" which is available in video form. Stream all songs/videos below.