Entries tagged with: Lindstrom
DOWNLOAD: Dandi Wind - Balloon Factory (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: The Captain - Birthday Mix from The Birdhouse (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Walter Meego - Romantic (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Walter Meego - Wanna Be a Star (Walter Sees Stars mix) (MP3)
The dance world typically gathers steam in the US in March, with Winter Music Conference held in Miami, and the increasingly dance-populated SXSW, many labels and producers tour their beat-laden wares come spring. This Spring is no different and NYC will host almost all the top upcoming talent in the month of March.
WMC happens in Miami March 20th through March 25th. The list of events is here. I'll post highlights in a few weeks.
Two zeitgeist-y days in March see the dance world collide in NYC. There is a line in the sand...
Booka Shade, along with M.A.N.D.Y., and the rest of the Get Physical label were THE sound of 2005. Penning minimally melodic stormers that rocked every genre of dancefloor, Booka Shade arguably put on the best show of WMC 2006 at the Fixed/Revolver party.
Institubes is the reserved cousin to Paris' Ed Banger Records. Their roster includes Tacteel, Para One, Das Glow, Surkin, Bobmo, & (NYC'er) Curses!, all who blur the lines between hip-hop, techno, and rave. They will all be on the tip of your tounge in 2007. Boys Noize and the output of his self-titled label have been crafting a hard edged, drum centric version of the current electro sound of dance, evidenced by THAT remix of "Banquet" that you hear every weekend. Besides Bloc Party, BN has remixed much of the indierati: Kaiser Chiefs, Tiga, Shiny Toy Guns, Living Things, and (!) Depeche Mode.
And another complicated night that needs no explanation for readers of this fine site:
Less of a decision TONIGHT (Feb 22)....
Brooklyn Wasted Youth
The always wonderful Modular Monthly happens tonight at Galapagos in Brooklyn. Hometown hero Drop The Lime destroys it live, along with the art dance craze of Dandi Wind, and they JUST ADDED Chicago crew Walter Meego. This is the spot tonight.
- XLR8R Previews SXSW and the Presets
- Abbey at Punkphoto got some cool phootage of the Rapture party last week
- Stylus runs down techno videos on YouTube
- The Month in Grime/Dubstep at PFork (DMZ meets Dubwar at Tonic on Saturday)
- XLR8R's Podcast (This week features a mix by editor Vivian Host (Star Eyes))
- Boys Noize Mix Live in Chicago
- Booka Shade's Essential Mix for BBC Radio 1
- M.A.N.D.Y. on Galaxy FM UK
Earlier this week we talked about the new Ed Banger comp, and the tour they're doing to promote it with Justice, DJ Medhi, Sebastian AND Busy P all making their way through the U.S.A. Did you get your ticket for the NYC show yet?
Switch @ Cielo, NYC - Feb 8, 2007
Switch killed it last week at Cielo. Using a fully loaded Ableton Live setup, he twisted and chopped the familiar into the brand new. Fidget house is what they call it, and it truly is completely ADD, rarely consistent for more than a few minutes. Coolest thing about Switch is how he really crosses scenes/genres with ease. He had indie kids, hip-hop dudes, and house-heads bouncing like mad. I hear he'll be making a few US stops mid-March. Stay tuned.
Lindstrom @ Studio B, NYC - Feb 10, 2007
Saturday night saw Lindstrom bring his space disco live show to Studio B. I was really blown away with how banging his set turned out at the club. Even taking a listen to the live set I posted last week, I wasn't sure if it would really move the masses at Studio B. To everyones delight, space disco sounds more like Astro Techno on a huge sound system. Studio B was PACKED with crazy kids really getting into his sound. JDH & Dave P keep the momentum going on Feb 23rd with special guests OPTIMO.
- Resident Advisor reviews Gui Borato's new disc for Kompakt
- Mr. Soft at TAPE lists his top tracks of the moment
- The Captain (of Cut, Mad Suspect, and Dirty Down fame) is starting a very cool interview series with some of New York's brightest stars in the burgeoning homegrown dance scene. His first target is Mathhead
- Some of the best tracks of the moment at Slutty Fringe
- Disque Primeur's podcast has a great Adam Kesher DJ set
- live video of Joakim at AOL's Spinner.
This weekend in NYC....
There were so many good shows happening in NYC Saturday night (Feb 10, 2007) - Lifetime @ Bowery Ballroom, !!! @ Maxwell's (NJ), Vetiver & Vashti Bunyan @ Southpaw, Lindstrom @ Studio B, and Lily Allen @ Webster Hall to name a few. I stuck with just going to the Plug Awards.
Lily Allen @ Webster Hall, NYC | Feb 10, 2007
Lily Allen & Hot Chip
Lily Allen & Lupe Fiasco
It ends up LCD Soundsystem is not just playing NYC....
DOWNLOAD: Lindstrom Live at Club Caviar, Gothenburg Aug 3, 2006 (MP3)
Lots of dance related madness hitting NYC in the next 6 weeks. I'll highlight some of the bigger names making their way to the 5 boroughs in upcoming editions.
This weekend: Comb your moustache and put on your sunglasses: this is disco.
For those of you unfamiliar with Lindstrom, he and his sometime collaborator Prins Thomas, have crafted a signature sound out of epic, spaced out disco. Their production work over the past 3 years has helped stimulate the disco revival currently sweeping dancefloors of the globe. (Visit our friend Tim Sweeney for an extensive collection of disco-y Beats in Space shows.)
Lindstrom's new album Its a Feedelity Affair is an excellent example of Lindstrom for the dancefloor, as opposed to some of his Lindstrom for the headphones work. Highly recommended.
Lindstrom: Middle, Left, Right
Feb 8 2007 Funky Buddha lounge / Chicago
Feb 9 2007 Mezzanine / San Francisco
Feb 10 2007 Studio B / New York City
- Tricia Romano nails it again; Watch out for Bloomberg & Quinn on the dancefloor
- Fader catches up with Erol Alkan
- NYTimes explains that 20% of $500,000 is always better than 20% of $20,000
- LCD Soundsytem add 4th NYC show
- Datarock touring
- Resident Advisor podcast
- Bang Gang (Australia) Podcast
- Nick Catchdubs mix over at Modyifer
- Extrawack has two Uffie jams and ticket info for her show next week at Hiro
- Listen to this Dan Le Sac Vs. Scroobius Pip track and tell me it isn't awesome
- Remixes by Switch & others at Headphone Sex
- Gossip + New Young Pony Club = “Jealous Girls” (NYPC 12″ remix)
MSTRKRFT @ Hiro Ballroom, NYC | June 22, 2006 (CRED)
DOWNLOAD: Panthers - Thank Me With Your Hands (MSTRKRFT Remix) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Metric - Monster Hospital (MSTRKRFT Remix) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Death From Above 1979 - Sexy Results (MSTRKRFT Remix) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Bloc Party - 2 More Years (MSTRKRFT Remix) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Wolfmother (MSTRKRFT Remix) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: John Digweed - Kiss 100 57:10 2006 mix (MP3)
John Digweed @ The Showbox, Seattle | June 11, 2006 (CRED)
Indie Club (aka the Diamonds 07 tour)
John Digweed (of Sasha & Digweed fame) is a phenomenal DJ, and has been responsible for groundbreaking music, arguably the first DJ mix compilation, and spreading electronic music (and the Superstar DJ phenomenon) to more of the globe than all but Carl Cox and Sasha. Digweed's record label Bedrock has been a very consistent source of progressive electronic club tracks, with releases by Nick Muir, Hernan Cattaneo, Misstress Barbara, and more. I've seen him DJ many times, and his technical skill and musical taste level is really incredible, but very much rooted in "pure" electronic genres.
MSTRKRFT on the other hand have a somewhat different cache in the dance scene. Spawned from the ashes of Death From Above 1979, the group's remixes of indie rock singles have catapulted them to the forefront of the indie dance/rocklectro movement. MSTRKRFT is more likely to be heard coming off the lips of a kid leaving a Metric show in Austin than a clubber coming out of Crobar at 10 am. Not to say that they aren't rising stars in the larger electronic spectrum - their LP The Looks was a fantastic slice of the sound of 2006, but definitely no Homework.
Let's discuss this pairing.
Will you go see them? Is it happening in a club you regulary attend? I'm guessing not. New Yorkers - will you go to Pacha for this? Have you heard of John Digweed?
Tour dates at the end of this post.
And who's coming to Miami?
Daft Punk @ Coachella 2006 (CRED)
- Urge (MTV's Music Service) signs exclusives with Ed Banger and Planet E
- Josh Wink hosts a panel on the future of dance music (video)
- Remix lists "32 Artist Albums, Products, Services, People and Music-industry Predictions for 2007"
- Good For Nothing has a banging Busy P & Justice live mix
- Urb has a full video Daft Punk live at Coachella (I can't watch this with out tearing up...why didn't I go, why?)
- A 120 Days remix is featured in this Jaguar Ad
- Missing Toof has three of six tracks off a new Modular sampler.
GET OUT AND DANCE THIS WEEKEND NYC