Entries tagged with: Madonna
Bruce Springsteen @ Giants Stadium, July 2008 (more by Eric M. Townsend)
1. Madonna ($105 million)"According to numbers released by concert trade magazine Pollstar, the Material Girl was the year's top concert draw in North America with ticket sales in excess of $105 million. After launching last summer in Wales, her Sticky & Sweet tour hit North America in early October for nearly eight weeks of concert dates. Worldwide the tour actually grossed more than $280 million, making Sticky & Sweet the highest-grossing tour ever by a solo artist." [EOnline]
2. Celine Dion ($94 million)
3. The Eagles ($73.4 million)
4. Kenny Chesney ($72.2 million)
5. Bon Jovi ($70.4 million)
6. Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band ($69.3 million)
7. Neil Diamond ($59.8 million)
8. Rascal Flatts ($55.8 million)
9. The Police ($48 million)
10. Tina Turner ($47.7 million)
Michael Stipe in Santiago, Chile - Nov 4, 2008 (Loretín)
Girl Talk announces a new president in Milwaukee - Nov 4, 2008 (leslie!!)
Where were you when Obama was announced the winner last night? After spending some time in Rockefeller Center with thousands of people and NBC, I was actually at (le) poisson rouge in the West Village when CNN made their announcement (on two large screens). Everyone went nuts and started dancing while music like "We are the Champions" was blasting through the soundsystem (I guess McCain supporters knew to stay away from events like these?). Kyle was at The Bell House with a similar experience. Oprah was in Chicago's Grant Park (home of Lollapalooza). Ryan was wondering if Clues were ever going to go on. Others were at other concerts...
Girl Talk played Milwaukee. R.E.M. was in Santiago while Madonna performed in San Diego. Smashing Pumpkins were up in Toronto and Bad Brains had a hometown show in DC. Videos from those shows and more below...
Fleet Foxes @ Grand Ballroom Saturday (more by Chris Owyoung)
today in NYC
* Madonna @ MSG
* Les Paul @ Iridium
* Raphael Saadiq @ SOBs
* Andrew Bird @ Hiro Ballroom
* Department of Eagles @ The Bell House
* Death Cab For Cutie, St. Vincent @ Radio City Music Hall
* Tegan & Sara, City and Colour, Girl in a Coma @ Terminal 5
* Will Franken, USAISAMONSTER, Knyfe Hytes, My Device @ Cake Shop
* Okkervil River, Crooked Fingers, Black Joe Lewis & the Honey Bears @ Webster Hall
* Debbie Harry, Lissy Trullie, Jesse Malin, Earl Greyhound, etc @ Highline Ballroom
Tickets are back on sale for all four NYC Madonna shows.
LSD was first declared illegal in the United States on this day in 1966.
William Butler of the Arcade Fire was born today in 1982.
Department of Eagles go on at 9:15 tonight. Nat Baldwin opens at 8:30.
Stereolab finished up their 3-night run in NYC on Saturday night.
Neil Hamburger's new video for "At Least I Was Paid" is below...
today in NYC
* FREE STUFF
* The Game @ Irving Plaza
* Bango Benefit @ Bowery Ballroom
* Billy Idol @ Hammerstein Ballroom
* Rushmore (movie) & bands @ McCarren Pool
* Scribble Jam w/ Junk Science @ Knitting Factory
* long, free sets by Anthony Jeselnik & Kristen Schaal
* Dr. Dog, Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson & R Stevie Moore @ MHOW
I think the race is on to see who can play more NYC shows in 2008: Vivian Girls or Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson. It's a tight race.
The above photo is another view of Sunday's final Pool Party.
Robyn @ NYC Virgin Store (more by Leia Jospe)
Robyn forced to cancel her performance at 'All Points West' Festival
Due to rehearsals for Madonnas 'Sticky & Sweet' European tour and other commitments, Robyn is unfortunately forced to cancel her performance at New Jerseys 'All Points West' festival in August. Robyn is sorry about this unavoidable development as she was really looking forward to playing the festival;
Anthony Kiedis in a Justice T-Shirt w/ Diddy at a Lakers game
today in NYC
* FREE STUFF
* DANCE STUFF
* Twee as F*ck @ Cake Shop
* Patton Oswalt @ Carolines
* Liz Phair @ Hiro Ballroom
* Delta Spirit @ Mercury Lounge
* Stars Like Fleas at Union Hall
* Peter Murphy @ Gramercy Theatre
* Grails & Nadja @ Knitting Factory
* The Juan Maclean and Moby DJing @ Santos
* Luke Temple & Jones Street Boys @ Housing Works
* Devo, Tom Tom Club & Dan Deacon @ McCarren Pool
* Carolina Chocolate Drops & Dixie Hummingbirds @ Prospect Park
* Thievery Corporation, Bebel Gilberto, Federico Aubele & Seu Jorge @ Summerstage
Toadies at Bowery Ballroom?
Kanye West hates hippies?
Justice producing the next Red Hot Chili Peppers album?
Gay Pride week.
the view from the Bonnaroo ferris wheel - June 12, 2008 (cred)
Not mainstream (not even 80's) (they broke up in '79): Teenage Jesus & The Jerks are playing their reunion shows tonight.
The Fratellis play Webster Hall in NYC tonight (June 13). They also play a free show at the Virgin Megastore in Union Square at 12:30 pm THIS AFTERNOON. You might have already seen that listed on the free events calendar.
Also on the free events calendar: where to get free Trojan condoms in NYC until 2pm today, where in Brooklyn you'll find a Pride festival tomorrow, and what free shows are happening at BAM this weekend.
Madonna & Justin Timberlake @ Roseland Ballroom, NYC - April 30, 2008
Considering the hassle people went through to get into the show, I think Madonna should have played more than six or seven songs (one of which was with Justin Timberlake), but that's just me....
Halfway through her 32-minute set on Wednesday night at the Roseland Ballroom in Manhattan, Madonna offered a message of sympathy.People were also paying over $1000 a ticket to scalpers.
"All you people I saw sleeping in the street last night," she said, "this song is for you."
It was "Hung Up," about the agony of waiting. And as she finished the song, she added, just in case the message wasn't clear: "Anybody who knows me knows how much I hate to wait."
New York may be a city of the impatient, but for Madonna's fans, Wednesday's show proved that seeing her for free in a 2,200-capacity hall -- minuscule by her usual touring standards -- was something worth waiting for. And waiting for a very long time.
The line outside Roseland, on West 52nd Street, formed 60 hours before show time.... [NY Times: For Madonna Fans, the Wait Is Worth It]
* Etta James @ BB King's
* Dead Meadow @ Maxwell's
* Joe Jackson @ The Apollo
* Gossip & Shy Child @ Webster Hall
* Autechre @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Tally Hall and friends @ Bowery Ballroom
* French Kicks & Miguel Mendez @ Mercury Lounge
* Casiotone for the Painfully Alone & Fiasco @ Knitting Factory
Get a new Wolf Parade song.
Madonna is playing Roseland Ballroom.
Cyndi Lauper is going on tour this summer.
Alejandro Escovedo joined Bruce Springsteen on stage in Houston last night. Video below.
Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't have put "lucky" in the same sentence with "need to lineup outside of Roseland" and "receive tickets on a first come basis".....
Jay-Z is on the verge of a deal with concert promoter Live Nation worth about $150 million that rivals the biggest music contracts ever, the New York Times reported on its Web site on Wednesday.
Jay-Z was said to be planning to leave his longtime record label, Def Jam, for a package with Live Nation, which includes financing his own entertainment venture as well as recordings and tours over the next decade.
The deal, which sources told the newspaper should be finalized this week, comes after Live Nation earlier this week announced a 12-year agreement to handle the merchandising, digital and branding rights and touring of Irish group U2. [Reuters]
Madonna will be playing gigs in New York, Paris and London to promote he new album Hard Candy.There's also a "4 Minutes" release party happening this Friday at Highline Ballroom. "4 Minutes" is the new Madonna single featuring Justin Timberlake and Timbaland. Hard Candy is out April 29, 2008 on Warner Brothers.
Our sources tell us that the final dates are:
* New York: April 28th
* Paris: May 6th
* London: May 10th
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation today announces the artists who will induct this year's honorees at a ceremony on March 10, 2008, at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City:
Leonard Cohen will be inducted by Lou Reed
The Dave Clark Five (Dave Clark, Lenny Davidson, Rick Huxley, Denis Payton and Mike Smith) will be inducted by Tom Hanks
Madonna will be inducted by Justin Timberlake
John Mellencamp will be inducted by Billy Joel
Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff will be inducted by Jerry Butler
The Ventures (Bob Bogle, Nokie Edwards, Gerry McGee, Mel Taylor, Don Wilson) will be inducted by John Fogerty
Little Walter will be inducted by Ben Harper
Madonna poses with Ukrainian actor Eugene Hutz, left, and actress Holly Weston, right, during a photo call for the movie 'Filth And Wisdom' at the International Film Festival Berlinale in Berlin, Germany, Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2008. The 58th International Film Festival, Berlinale, takes place from Feb. 7 to Feb. 17, 2008.Eugene Hutz wants you to be an actor too.
Last time we saw Gogol Bordello and Madonna together was at Live Earth in 2007. That video below...
"The ever-evolving Madonna was announced as a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee on Thursday along with John Mellencamp, The Ventures, Leonard Cohen and The Dave Clark Five." [AP]
DOWNLOAD: Bright Eyes - Coat Check Dream Song (Live) (MP3)
The last release date in November means slim pickings for music fans. This is not truly a bad thing, because as the number of worthwhile music releases dwindles, music bloggers and journalists have time to work on and post their "best of 2007" lists.
The other disc I can recommend is also a compilation, Causes I. The disc's proceeds benefit relief efforts in Darfur, and artists who submitted exclusive tracks include Bright Eyes, Spoon, Animal Collective and many more.
Are you picking up any new releases this week? Have I left any noteworthy albums off the list below?
Manimal Vinyl Records presents an ambitious tribute album to Madonna called listen Through the Wilderness. It features covers of Madonna classics by Giant Drag, The Tyde, Lavender Diamond, Mountain Party, Winter Flowers, The Chapin Sisters, Ariel Pink, Siddhartha, Jeremy Jay, Golden Animals, Alexandra Hope, Pangaeans, Jonathan Wilson, Lion of Panjshir, The Prayers and The Bubonic Plague. 25% of the profits will be donated to Raising Malawi. [listen on MySpace] (via)* Courtney Love calls Madonna a joke
* Financial analyst questions Madonna's "longevity"
* Madonna, Gucci team up for Malawi charity gig
* Live Nation to acquire music merchandise co
* Live Nation Reports Third Quarter 2007 Financial Results
* Ticketmaster not hurt by Live Nation dispute
* Free Jammie
* Leaks Force Britney To Move Up Album Release
* Nine Inch Nails Celebrates Free Agent Status
* Madonna leaving Warner, signing with Live Nation
* NY Times: In Radiohead Price Plan, Some See a Movement
* Does A Merged Sony BMG Hurt The Indies?
* RIAA Hits a Sour Note With Its File-Sharing Witch Hunt
* Jammie Thomas: 'I'm no puppet' for RIAA foes
* Jonny Greenwood not trying to change the industry
"Save the World" - Bloc Party @ Live Earth London (CRED)
The most bizzare thing about the Bad Brains show on the boat was before the show when HR was just sort walking around by himself with his sunglasses on - looking extremely chill, and nobody was talking to him - at least when I saw him. He apparently did speak to at least one person before the show though, and it was DL host Sara Schaefer. AOL has the must-see video where they talk about the new album, and even sick Morrissey's favorite artist (and Gogol Bordello collaborator) Madonna. Keep the video running for a cool in-studio performance by Bloc Party that comes up right after Bad Brains. Updated Bloc Party tour dates below....
Les Savy Fav (Tim Harrington) @ McCarren Pool, July 9, 2006 (CRED)
Like Live Earth, Citysol is a "green" event. I was wondering what you guys thought of Live Earth, and if you were hurt at all that Madonna chose Gogol Bordello to play with her instead of Les Savy Fav.
Tim Les Savy Fav answered:
Who's Madonna? That chick who kidnaps African kids or do you mean that good looking chick from the 80s?
Titian. Gypsy Madonna. c.1512. Oil on wood.
Eugene Hutz and Sergey Ryabtsev from Gypsy Punk band GOGOL BORDELLO have confirmed that they have accepted an invitation from Madonna to guest on stage with her during her headline set at the Live Earth event this Saturday 7th July 2007 at Wembley Stadium in London.Continued below...