Entries tagged with: Marah
photos by Erik Erikson
"While Bad Brains sound has shifted from hardcore and punk to dub and reggae, they still mix it up for the audience coming to see them. Opening with a pounding set of their signature aggressive sound, the music of guitarist Dr. Know and bassist Darrel Jennifer along with drummer Earl Hudson was tight and very intact. Yet, one of the more interesting experience's to everyone was watching singer H.R., dressed in a valor jump suit with a dress shirt and tie underneath and knit hat, H.R., who has battled drug addiction and years of abuse to his body doing this profession simply looked burnt out. Slurring many of his words and mumbling in between songs, at points Jennifer would look at him and laugh, yet while his annunciation skills were not as top as the band's sound, it was still an overall experience watching him perform."Bad Brains played the second of their two night stay in NYC at Music Hall of Williamsburg with GZA on 4/18, just one night after the band played Irving Plaza with H2O. The NYC shows were part of a short run of dates for the band who also played Philly with GZA and who will be at Bonnaroo this year. Pictures from the Brooklyn show adorn this post.
-[Officially a Yuppie]
Meanwhile, HR will be presen at a Benefit for Lucinda's Children, a two-night show to help out Lucinda Gallagher in the wake of her passing late last year.
Last December our close community of friends, musicians, and music lovers lost one of its own when Lucinda Gallagher took her own life, leaving behind two amazing children. These young teenagers, now in the care of Lucinda's dear friend, both have their mother's rock and roll spirit. Like her, they are bright and soulful and have a deep appreciation for music as gifted budding musicians.The first night of the benefit will feature performances from Marah, Jesse Malin, Jimmy Gnecco & Dave Milone, Jim Boggia, Aaron Lee Tasjan, Petter Ericson Stakee & "very special guests" (tickets for 4/29), while the second night boasts appearances from Tommy Stinson (of The Replacements & Guns n Roses), HR (of Bad Brains) , Alan Vega (of Suicide), James Maddock, Aaron Lee Tasjan and more (tickets for 4/30).
In order to raise funds for these children a two-night concert spectacular will be held at The Bowery Electric on April 29th and 30th... [and] in addition to the live show, an auction and raffle will be held which will include items donated by Mary Louise Parker, Fender, Bob Gruen, Danny Clinch, The Morrison Hotel Gallery & many more. 100% of the proceeds from the auction and concerts will be placed in a trust for Lucinda's kids.
Pictures from the Bad Brains show are below.
photos by Tim Griffin
Nicole Atkins @ Stubb's
Nicole Atkins plays the free Hudson Square Music and Wine Festival on August 9th as part of an added leg to her previously announced tour. Nicole's new dates also include support slots for Fountains of Wayne on their headlining tour. Her City Winery show is the only recently added show without Fountains of Wayne, though they play a show together at the same venue four days earlier (which is now sold out).
Both Nicole and Fountains of Wayne have other separate tri-state area dates on their tours too. Nicole plays Music Hall of Williamsburg on July 8 with Workout & My Best Fiend, Union County Performing Arts Center in Rahway, NJ on July 21, and The Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ on July 28. Fountains of Wayne play Maxwell's on 7/21 with Mike Violia and Maxwell's on 7/22 with Oranjuly, The Stone Pony on July 23 with Marah (tickets), and Bowery Ballroom on August 3 (tickets). No opener has been announced for the Bowery show, and note that the Maxwell's dates have slightly changed since the original announcement.
Nicole Atkins recently made a video for "My Baby Don't Lie." Check that out along with updated tour dates and pictures from Nicole's Austin show at Stubb's in Austin on June 15 (where she was joined by Robert Harrison for a song), below...
today in NYC
* PopRally @ MoMA
* Jim Staley @ The Stone
* Marah, The 65's @ Maxwell's
* Bill Frisell @ Village Vanguard
* Cosmetics @ Home Sweet Home
* Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo @ Nokia Theatre
* Soft Circle, Lichens, Guardian Alien @ Coco 66
* Ducktails, Family Portrait, Tennis @ Cake Shop
* Xavier Rudd, Izintaba, Good Old War @ Irving Plaza
* Scissor Sisters, Sammy Jo, Casey Spooner @ Terminal 5
* Nobunny, Jacuzzi Boys (RSVP required) @ Knitting Factory
* Memory Tapes, Tanlines (RSVP required) @ The Bell House
* Von Haze, Mikroknytes, Mostly Dimes, Sweatpants @ Bruar Falls
* Stereo Total, Les Sans Culottes, Mixel Pixel @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Herman Dune, The Fishermen Three, Phoebe Kreutz @ Union Pool
* The Sweet Divines' Heckuva Summer Soul Party! @ Rockwood Music Hall
* TV Torso, Juston Stens & The Get Real Gang, Slow Animal @ Death By Audio
* Ava Luna, Deidre, She Keeps Bees, French Horn Rebellion (DJ set) @ Zebulon
* Our Hit Parade starring Bridget Everett, Kenny Mellman and Neal Medlyn @ Joe's Pub
* Asa Ransom, ArpLine, Sea Monsters (The Rumble New York) @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Your 33 Black Angels, Darlings, Caution Candy, Hymns, Junior League Band @ Mercury Lounge
* Bear Hands, Class Actress, Ha Ha Tonka (Playboy Rock The Rabbit, hosted by Playmates Shannon James & Lauren Anderson) @ Highline Ballroom
"THIS SUCKS But....Tonights performance at Maxwell's in Hoboken NJ is CANCELED due to our van breaking down today. MARAH are re-scheduled for SATURDAY OCTOBER 9th - early show. Maxwells is one of our favorite gigs anywhere and we are terribly sorry for any inconvenience. All other performances this week are ON....see you in Philly, see you in DC, see you at Livestock! Your friends, MARAH"
Lichens, who just played Death By Audio, is playing Coco 66 tonight with Soft Circle, but is billed under his real name, Robert Lowe. He's also playing with Matteah Baim and Golden Slumbers at JF & Son Thursday night.
Olof Arnalds has a new video for "Crazy Car". Check it out below...
DOWNLOAD: Passion Pit - Sleepyhead (Wallpaper remix) (MP3)
Passion Pit @ Glasslands (more by Bao Nguyen)
today in NYC
* Illinois @ Fontana's
* Marah @ Mercury Lounge
* Beirut and Inlets @ MHOW
* Judy Gold @ Sleepwalk With Me
* Heartless Bastards @ Maxwell's
* Dysrhythmia & Tombs @ Union Pool
* Doveman doing "Footloose" @ Joe's Pub
* Musée Mécanique & Dave Deporis @ Cake Shop
* Sondre Lerche (and the Fray) @ Webster Hall
* Passion Pit, Paper Rouge & Cale Parks @ Bowery Ballroom
"A recording of the "Dark Knight" star's four-minute F-word-laced tirade on the set of his upcoming film "Terminator Salvation" surfaced on the Internet Tuesday. For many the tape was proof that the oft-described intense actor, who was arrested in July for allegedly assaulting his mother and sister, has an anger problem." [ABC News]
Fashion Week moving to Lincoln Center.
Oscar Wilde Bookshop, RIP
Joe Ades (the guy who sold peelers), RIP
Marah also plays Maxwell's tomorrow.
Check out Black Bubblegum's interview with Tombs.
A recent video interview with Passion Pit below...
Alela Diane's video for White As Diamonds below...