Entries tagged with: Mike Scott
Frightened Rabbit @ T5, Nov. 2010 (more by Lionel Bergeron)
SXSW has just announced another round of bands for the 2013 edition of the annual music festival that will happen March 12 - 17. This brings the total current number of acts to around 1300. Someome of the highlights include Vampire Weekend, Frightened Rabbit, The Thermals, Black Lips, Camera Obscura, Merchandise, Bleached, Mr. Muthafuckin' eXquire, Eagles of Death Metal, Parenthetical Girls, Indians, Night Beds, IO Echo, KEN Mode, Prince Paul, Pure Bathing Culture, Sepalcure, UK motorik post-punks TOY, Finnish instrumentalists K-X-P, Toronto's Moon King, UK indie rockers Splashh (not Brooklyn Splash with one "h") and loads more. Head to BV Austin for the whole Round 3 list.
Trail of Dead at BV-SXSW 2011 (more by Chris Gersbeck)
today in NYC
* The Dan Band @ Gramercy Theatre
* Simon Amstell @ Theatre 80
* Super Hi Fi, Full Tang @ Zebulon
* Eli Young Band, JT Hodges @ Terminal 5
* Future Rock, Damn Right! @ Brooklyn Bowl
* The Hounds Below, Pomegranates @ The Delancey
* K'naan, City of the Sun @ Highline Ballroom
* Ash, Reputante, ANML @ Knitting Factory
* Ethan Lipton & His Orchestra @ Joe's Pub
* Phil Lesh & Friends @ The Capitol Theatre
* Ani DiFranco @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Grace Potter & the Nocturnals @ Beacon Theatre
* High Highs, Snowmine @ Mercury Lounge
* Mike Cooley (of Drive-By Truckers) @ Slipper Room
* The Death Set, Deathface, No Way @ Cameo Gallery
* Banning Eyre, Sam Dickey, Luke Quaranta @ Barbes
* Start Making Sense, The Great White Caps @ The Bell House
* Phutureprimitive, Space Jesus, Soulacybin @ Glasslands Gallery
* Liam Finn, Reuben and the Dark @ Glasslands Gallery
* Spirit Family Reunion, Adam Arcuragi @ Mercury Lounge
* Blondes, Maxmillion Dunbar, Holly Herndon @ 285 Kent
* Bassnectar, Gramatik, Gladkill @ The Wellmont Theatre
* Extreme Animals, Eric Copeland @ Secret Project Robot
* Mind Over Mirrors + Miguel Gutierrez @ Issue Project Room
* Midnight Magic, Something In Spanish, DJ Scribe @ Cameo Gallery
* Neon Piss, Shoxx, Nuclear Spring, Survival @ Death By Audio
* Viva Mayday, Chainwave, Johanna Glaza, The Veevees @ The Bowery Electric
* Vassals, T.H.E.M., Blank Paper, Little Racer @ Paper Box
* The Everymen, The Brooklyn What, The Skipjack @ Saint Vitus
* Lamb of God, In Flames, Sylosis, Hatebreed @ Roseland Ballroom
* Dr. John and The Blind Boys of Alabama @ Bergen Performing Arts Center
* Naomi Punk, G Green, Parquet Courts, Psychic Blood @ 285 Kent
* Taking Back Sunday, Bayside, The Menzingers @ Best Buy Theatre
* Radical Dads, Dinosaur Feathers, Laser Background, Dead Stars @ Big Snow
* Gold Streets, The Suicide Dolls, Passenger Peru, Thick Voltage @ Union Pool
* Friend Roulette, Flying Pace, Bright Brown, Katie Mullins @ Union Hall
* Eastern Hollows, Doubting Thomas Cruise Control, The National Rifle, Dances @ Cake Shop
* Dan Deacon, Height With Friends, Chester Endersby Gwazda, Alan Resnick @ Bowery Ballroom
* ..And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, The Coathangers, Hussle Club @ Irving Plaza
* Kool A.D., The Underachievers, Aaron Cohen, Kosha Dillz, Johnny Voltik, Chaz Van Queen, Illustrate & Niyre, DJ Obey City @ Littlefield
* John Wesley Harding's Cabinet of Wonders w/ Steve Earle, Loudon Wainwright III, Alec Ounsworth, Quincy Troupe, Gary Shteyngart, Mike Scott and Steve Wickham of the Waterboys @ City Winery
* #SandySucks w/ Flufftronix, Dirtyfinger, Cousin Cole, Tony Quattro, Tanner Caldwell, Furoche, Wckids, Don Cerati, Alt+Beast, Joey G, Skyway @ Public Assembly
The guests for John Wesley Harding's Cabinet of Wonders show at City Winery tonight include Steve Earle, Loudon Wainwright III, Alec Ounsworth, Quincy Troupe, Gary Shteyngart, Mike Scott and Steve Wickham of the Waterboys.
Check out Neon Piss at Death by Audio tonight with Shoxx, Nuclear Spring, and Survival.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Jamie Lidell will release a self titled album on February 19 via Warp. Check out the awesome lead single, "What A Shame," below.
Yo La Tengo have some visual accompaniment for "Before We Run," the first single off their upcoming album, Fade. Check it out below.
As a teenager Mike Scott fronted his first garage bands, playing original songs and punk covers, and wrote his own rock fanzine before moving to the lights of Edinburgh and London in quest of glory. In the 1980s he formed The Waterboys with musicians selected to interpret the 'noises in his head', from the tumbling saxophone of Anthony Thistlethwaite to the fiddle-mastery of Steve Wickham. With the burgeoning success of A Pagan Place and This Is the Sea, The Waterboys became one of the biggest acts in British music. Before his sensational performance at the 1986 Glastonbury Festival Scott came to Ireland for a week with Steve Wickham, and stayed for six years, taking him deep into the West, folk music,Yeats ... and Fisherman's Blues, one of the great albums of the decade, blending country, blues and gospel with rock 'n' roll in a freewheeling cycle of reinvention and artistry.Mike Scott will be promoting his new autobiography, Adventures of a Waterboy, with two shows in NYC where he'll be both reading excerpts from the book and performing acoustically. He'll be at tiny Rockwood Music Hall on November 12, which already sold out, and he just added a larger show happening at Music Hall of Williamsburg on November 19. Tickets to that show go on AmEx presale today with the regular on-sale on Friday (9/28) at noon. Fellow Waterboy Steve Wickham opens both days.
After scaling the heights and living the NewYork dream, Scott then turned his back on rock stardom to discover his inner resources with the Findhorn community in his native Scotland during the 1990s, emerging from time to time to reassemble his iconic band and to make music. In 1998 he was reunited with his father, unseen since 1970.
Adventures of a Waterboy unravels the myths surrounding one of Scotland's charismatic modern heroes and Ireland's adopted sons, while describing the shamanic journey of a loner in quest of musical perfection; it is a tale of fame and isolation; of shared elation with a music that entranced a generatin of rock fans.
These appear to be Mike's only North American dates. The Waterboys released An Appointment with Mr. Yeats last year and you can stream two songs from that below. Scott's former bandmate Karl Wallinger was visiting earlier this summer with his band, World Party, you may remember.
A couple classic Waterboys videos are below.