Entries tagged with: Momus
GG Allin & Tesco Vee "Throbblehead" dolls (on sale now at Aggronautix)
tonight in NYC
* Momus @ Highline Ballroom
* Estelle, DJ Cassidy @ MoMA
* Here We Go Magic @ Union Pool
* The Roots @ Highline Ballroom
* Jenny Scheinman & Robbie Fulkes @ Barbes
* Keane & the Helio Sequence @ Wellmont Theater
* A Camp, Gentleman Reg @ Bowery Ballroom
* Nate Wooley, Dennis D Anderton @ The Stone
* Hull, Witches Tit, Flaming Tusk @ The Charleston
* Opeth, Enslaved @ Manhattan Center Grand Ballroom
* JEFF the Brotherhood & Turbo Fruits @ Death By Audio
* Sessions at Santa's w/ Light Asylum, Tim Dewit, Ryan Sawyer @ Santos
* Wolves in the Throne Room, A Storm of Light, Krallice @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* The Dig, Those Dancing Days, Five O'Clock Heroes, Jaguar Club @ Mercury Lounge
* Unwigged & Unplugged (Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, Harry Shearer) @ Beacon Theatre (Spinal Tap)
A belated shout for...
Stephen Bruton, a real-life guitar hero who played with everyone from Kris Kristofferson to Elvis Costello, died Saturday [May 9th] in Los Angeles.RIP
The Fort Worth native was 60 and had been in California working on the soundtrack to Jeff Bridges' new movie, Crazy Heart, said his wife of 13 years, Mary Keating-Bruton.
[Fort Worth Star-Telegram]
Completely unrelated, but sorta cool: the GG Allin and Tesco Vee bobbleheads you see up there.
Keane and The Helio Sequence play Radio City Music Hall on Wednesday.
Momus is performing a three-hour career retrospective at the Highline Ballroom tonight; check out a poster for the event, below...
Thrones opened for A Storm of Light and Wolves in the Throne Room at Europa the other night. Video below...
tonight in NYC
* Toadies @ The STone Pony
* Momus & others @ Starr Space
* Enslaved @ Gramercy Theater
* Crackleknob @ Issue Project Room
* The Bangles @ B.B. King Blues Club
* Adventure, Ear Pwr, Javelin @ Cake Shop
* J. Gräf Sheppard, The Jungle @ The Stone
* Sam McPheeters, Red Dawn 2, Pink Reason @ Monster Island Basement
* Allen Toussaint's The Bright Mississippi Band @ Village Vanguard
* Hoods, Huff This, Amelia Jackie, Sasha Dobson @ Pete's Candy Store
* Red+Meth+Epmd+Brand Nubian+Nore+Black Sheep+Lords of the Underground @ BB King's
Tonight's Enslaved show at the Gramercy Theater is a one-off stop for the band who is on a tour with Opeth which hits the Grand Ballroom in NYC on Monday.
DOWNLOAD: Momus - Spooky Kabuki PREMIX (MP3)
"Between 1996 and 2003, Momus -- the playful, articulate, intimate Scottish songwriter who's unpacked and repacked a gamut of styles from jangly indie thru folktronica and chamber pop to breakcore -- toured the States pretty much every year. Wildly successful in Japan but met with a certain amount of "meh" in his native Britain, Momus in the late 90s hoped to "break America" with songs about his penis, get-rich-quick schemes like selling song-portraits for $1000 apiece, and quirky electonic reworkings of Appalachian folk music. To some extent he succeeded: 2003's American Patchwork Tour showcased a bunch of US bands Momus signed to his own label: The Gongs, The Super Madrigal Brothers, Rroland, Phiiliip. Momus even moved to New York City in 2000, but left for Tokyo shortly after 9/11."Momus will perform the Momuthon, a three-hour retrospective of his work, at the Highline Ballroom on Tuesday, May 26th. Tickets are on sale.
Much of Momus' music is available for free online. The MP3 above is a pre-production version of a song from his 2003 album Oskar Tennis Champion. Check his website's audio section or UbuWeb for more free discs.
Details about all three sets of the Momuthon's below...