Entries tagged with: Nardwuar
photos by Dana (distortion) Yavin
"The WU TANG show at best buy theatre was jenkin like fuck 2nite..only thing was missing was @Raekwon @GhostfaceKillah the clan did it up doe" - LYVE1OH
Wu-Tang Clan recently played a few NYC-area dates including Best Buy Theater on Sunday (12/18). No Raekwon & Ghostface unfortunately, but Method Man, RZA, Masta Killa and others from the crew were in the house. Here are some pictures and videos from that show
In related news, Wu-Tang Clan revealed via facebook that Method Man is working on his "last album produced by the RZA." As HipHopDX points out, it's not clear whether they mean that it's going to be Method Man's last album or the last album that RZA produces for him.
More pictures and videos from the NYC show, and a recently-posted Ghostface vs Narduwar video, below...
Rwake @ LPR in 2009 (more by BBG)
today in NYC
* Whiplash @ UCB
* John Oates @ Irdium
* John & Scott @ UCB West
* Hot Tub @ Littlefield
* Brain Cloud @ Barbes
* Chicha Libre @ Barbes
* NOFX, Anti-Flag @ Starland Ballroom
* Balene, Icewater, Pillow @ Bruar Falls
* Jake Shepps' Expedition Quartet @ Barbes
* Manitoba Music Festival @ the Living Room
* Lisa Jaeggi, Matthew Avedon Quartet @ Zebulon
* Amanda Palmer, The London Souls @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Ttotals, Ancient Ocean, Rhyton @ Death By Audio
* MNDR, Dinosaur Feathers, Edelweiss @ Tammany Hall
* Hull, Rwake, Primitive Weapons @ Mercury Lounge
* Immolation, Jungle Rot, Gigan @ Gramercy Theatre
* Tiger Flowers, Vilipend, Eyes Of The Sun @ Lit Lounge
* Carissa's Wierd, Kayo Dot, Arms and Sleepers @ NYU
* Jens Lekman, Luke Temple @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Reverend Vince Anderson & His Love Choir @ Union Pool
* The Lemonheads, The Shining Twins, New York Rivals @ Bowery Ballroom
* Har Mar Superstar, Marijuana Death Squad, Dirty Fences, Only Son @ Bowery Electric
* Shinji Masuko (of DMBQ, Boredoms), The Returners, Soft Circle, Man Forever @ Knitting Factory
Nardwuar spoke to Kreayshawn. Video below...
Deerhunter @ Fun Fun Fun Fest 2010 (more by Tim Griffin)
today in NYC
* Whiplash @ UCB
* The Quavers @ Barbes
* Chia's Dance Party @ Barbes
* Caribbean Night @ Wingate Field
* Martha Wainwright @ Cooper Square Hotel
* Deerhunter, Eleanor Friedberger @ Webster Hall
* Bjorkestra @ The Tea Lounge (Union St, Brooklyn)
* Suspensers, Prince Ruperts Drops, Streetgnar @ Zebulon
* Robbers On High Street, The Fieros, HAYDAY @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Julia Nunes, Kelsey Byrne, Julia Weldon @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Iceage, Hoax, Hank Wood & The Hammerheads @ Mercury Lounge
* Beatles Unbottled, Pat DiNizio (of the Smithereens), Scotch Plainsmen @ City Winery
* Daniel Goodman, Adam Levy, Anton Fier, Tony Scherr Trio with Anton Fier and Rob Jost, The Neon Suns @ The Living Room
* PC Alien (members of PC Worship & Guardian Alien), Buck Gooter, Kokomo, Fuck Dub (members of Dubknowdub & Fuck Ton) @ Death By Audio
In case you missed it, Krallice have been added to the upcoming House of Vans lineup.
Nardwuar recently posted an interview with Cults. Check it out below....
Still Corners @ SXSW (more by Amanda Hatfield)
today in NYC
* Maeandros @ Barbes
* Spanglish Fly @ Barbes
* Database @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Furthur @ Radio City Music Hall
* Eugene Chadbourne @ The Stone
* The Diplomats @ Best Buy Theater
* John Doe, Jill Sobule @ City Winery
* Winter Family, Mike Bones @ Zebulon
* Apex Manor, Ma'am @ Mercury Lounge
* Allman Brothers Band @ Beacon Theatre
* Papercuts, Still Corners @ Mercury Lounge
* Mi Ami, Laurel Halo, Psychic Reality @ Glasslands
* Publicist, Tog, Free Blood, Caves @ Death By Audio
* Wojcik, Baby Fire, Furiosity, Loto Ball @ ABC No Rio
* Rod Stewart, Stevie Nicks @ Madison Square Garden
* The Machine performs Pink Floyd @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Hull, Batillus, Caltrop @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Golden Animals, Heavy Hands, Malachi @ The Gutter
* Trash Talk, OFF!, Cerebral Ballzy @ Santos Party House
* Naam, ELKS, Atomic Bitchwax, Mirror Queen @ Union Pool
* Moon Duo, Jacuzzi Boys, Regal Degal, PC Worship @ Cake Shop
* The Tony Castles, Dinowalrus, Mr. Dream, Data Dog @ 285 Kent Ave
* The Death Set, Spank Rock, Ninjasonik @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears, Those Darlins @ Bowery Ballroom
* Sick of it All, Snapcase, Merauder, Razorblade Handgrenade @ Webster Hall
* Las Robertas, Sweet Bulbs, Telenovelas, Sunny Ali & The Kid @ Shea Stadium
* DIG DEEPER PRESENTS: YOUNG JESSIE / The Solid Set / Concentric Soul @ Southpaw
* Mainland Fever, Slothbear, Julian & The Pez Dispensers, Adam Faucett @ Pianos
* Beach Arabs, Cavex, The Sediment Club, Baybee Teeth @ Brooklyn Fire Proof East
* The Spinto Band, Robbers On High Street, Hospitality, Kleenex Girl Wonder @ The Rock Shop
* Nunslaughter, Sacrificial Blood, Mutant Supremacy, PanzerBastard, Blessed Offal @ The Acheron
* Big Star's 'Third' w/ Michael Stipe, Norman Blake of Teenage Fanclub, Jody Stephens of Big Star, Mike Mills, Matthew Sweet, M Ward & more @ Mason Hall (Baruch Performing Arts Center)
One of the many interviews Nardwuar pulled off at SXSW this year was with Lil B. You can watch that below...
photos by Timothy Griffin
Darwin Deez @ Emo's (BV/Feed the Beat Day Party)
!!!, Darwin Deez, and NYU student band EMEFE will play NYU's E&L Auditorium at the Kimmel Center on March 31 as part of a benefit called "Dance Against Cancer", a joint effort from NYU's Program Board, IRHC and the American Cancer Society to as raise money for cancer research. Tickets are currently available for NYU students, and will go on sale to the general public on the day of the show at at 556 LaGuardia Place, but we also have two pairs we're giving away for anyone. Contest details below.
Das Racist will also be at NYU in the near future, as the crew will take on the same space on April 5th with Wallpaper and Small Black. The show is for NYU students only and closed to the public, but NYU students can bring one non-NYU guest... so make some calls to your homies. Oh, and we also have two pairs of tickets to giveaway for this too. Contest details below.
Das Racist were just down at SXSW where they played a bunch of shows and, like Odd Future, conducted an interview with Nardwuar. That video is below.
Darwin Deez played a coordinated dance-tastic set at our Wednesday day party at Emo's. Some pictures from that set are in this post and continue below...
!!! played three Austin shows including the BrooklynVegan/M for Montreal party on 3/19 at Barbarella. Another couple pictures from their set are in this post too, and also below...
MNDR (playing w/ Ronson last night @ MHOW) (more by Toby Tenembaum)
today in NYC
* Roger Waters @ Nassau Coliseum
* Tony Malaby @ The Stone
* Mike Birbiglia @ Barnes & Noble
* Mark Ronson @ Webster Hall
K. Lloyd, Erik Wunder at Union Pool
* Kruder & Dorfmeister @ Best Buy Theater
* Pepper, Brother Ali, Pour Habit @ Highline Ballroom
* Zebra and Snake, DZ, Zazen Boys, Wolf Gang @ Pianos
* Bowerbirds, Death Vessel, Des Ark @ Bowery Ballroom
* Murder Mystery, North Highlands, Neighbors @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Ben Folds with Nick Hornby @ Housing Works Bookstore Cafe
* Martha Colburn with Thollem McDonas @ Issue Project Room
* Mux Mool, Living Days, Expensive Looks, Warm Ghost @ Glasslands
* Mikolaj Traszka, Joe McPhee, Steve Swell, Jay Rosen @ The Stone
* The Universal Thump, Osso Quartet, Doug Paisley @ The Rock Shop
* Mary J. Blige, Jazmine Sullivan, Miguel, El DeBarge @ Radio City Music Hall
* Punches, Jacques Renault, Midnight Magic, Telephoned (DJ Set) @ Public Assembly
Nardwuar talked to the Drums (the band featuring the villain from Karate Kid and other members). Video below...
Orphan have a new video for "Fetus in Fetu". Check it out below...
Warpaint have a new video for "Undertow". Check it out below...
Best Coast @ South Street Seaport in July (more by Chris La Putt)
today in NYC
* Ted Poor @ The Stone
* El Guincho @ Santos Party House
* Drake, Tyga @ Radio City Music Hall
* LCD Soundsystem @ Angel Orensanz
* Mark Olson, Vandaveer @ The Rock Shop
* Loren Stillman and Bad Touch @ The Stone
* Williamsburg Salsa Orchestra @ Cameo Gallery
* Unearthly Trance, Suma, Pharoah @ Union Pool
* The Clean, Dump, Vermillion Sands @ Maxwell's
* Rogue Wave, Midlake, Peter Wolf Crier @ Webster Hall
* Howard Fishman, Will Holshouser Trio @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Best Coast, Male Bonding, Small Black @ Bowery Ballroom
* Golden Ages, Dinosaur Feathers, Post Post @ Death By Audio
* Shy Child, Your Youth, The Stationary Set, Dead Stars @ Pianos
* The Gay Blades, Chappo, Data Dog @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Juliana Hatfield & Evan Dando, The Shining Twins @ Mercury Lounge
* The Sundelles, Bottle Up And Go, Shark?, The Senors of Marseille @ Glasslands
* Margot & The Nuclear So and So's, The Lonely Forest, Cameron McGill @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* The Great Valley, Procedure Club, DILIAN, In Buenos Aires, Philip Seymour Hoffman @ Shea Stadium
Drake is in the middle of a run of shows at Radio City Music Hall. Check out the interview Drake gave Nardwuar earlier this year, in the video below...
record store day @ Permanent Records in Greenpoint (autovac)
Hi everyone...Mystery of Two were the house band at Permanent Records on that day. The Drums and The Pains of Being Pure at Heart performed sets at Other Music. Billboard reports (via) that "this year's Record Store Day was, again, a success when measured by awareness, turnout and sales."
We at Permanent Records just wanted to take a moment to thank all of you so much for making this year's Record Store Day the unbelievably huge success that it was. You all helped make it the biggest weekend we've ever had, and we sincerely thank all of you for your continued support of our little record store. Hopefully you managed to get most (if not all) of the Record Store Day exclusives you were looking for. If you'd like to see photos from the big day (which, if you were at the front of the line that morning, you are probably in), click here.
We do still have some of the Record Store Day exclusives in stock... so if you haven't made it in to check out some of these limited new releases, it's still not too late! They're on display, right in front of you as you walk into the store.
So, since we're still recovering from the mayhem of this weekend, we're taking a break from our New In Stock / Back In Stock mailer this week. Rest assured, we have plenty of new records available this week, but if you wanna know what they're are, you'll just have to come in and look for them. You know, like old times.
Thanks again everyone. We truly appreciate your business.
-The P-Recs Staff
- Other Music had their best single day in their 14 year history.And those numbers don't even count the RSD records that (some) stores are (allegedly) just throwing right on eBay.
- The Sound Garden had their busiest day in years, outpacing Christmas sales for the past couple of years.
- Vintage Vinyl sold more stuff on RSD than any other day in the stores' history.
- Twist N Shout reported the best sales they've ever had in a single day.
- RSD 2010 was Sonic Boom's single biggest sales day in their 12 year history.
- Silver Platters' sales on RSD 2010 were up 80% from last year (which were up 20% from the year before).
- Exclusive Company's RSD 2010 sales increased 102% from RSD 2009.
- Dimple did twice as much in sales from last year's RSD event.
Record Store Day video interviews and performances and stuff, some taped at Coachella, below...
Will Scheff, Roky Erickson, Nardwuar (more by Tim Griffin)
The first Nardwuar interview that I witnessed in person (and helped set up)! Taped after the legendary Roky Erickson and Okkervil River finished playing at our BV/M For Montreal day party, the 10 minute, well-researched interview covers many topics including Austin, Tang and Will's love for cream. Watch that (and a new chat with Snoop Dogg where the rapper microwaves a joint), below...
Lemonade @ MtyMx in Mexico (more by Andrew Frisicano)
today in NYC
* Whiplash @ UCB
* Chicha Libre @ Barbes
* Mako Sica @ Silent Barn
* Reverend Vince Anderson @ Union Pool
* She & Him, The Living Sisters @ Bowery Ballroom
* You Say Party! We Say Die!, Treasure, Diamond Rings, Oy @ Pianos
* Foxy Shazam, Young Veins, Bad Rabbits @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* City Center, Soft Circle, Drawlings, Love of Everything @ Death By Audio
* A Sunny Day in Glasgow, Mahogany, Pacific Theater @ The Bell House
* Delorean, Lemonade, Brahms, Cool Places Soundsystem @ Mercury Lounge
* Dark Dark Dark, Twi the Humble Feather, Cavalier Rose, Callers @ le Poisson Rouge
* M. Takara 3, Brassa Bell (Nathan Bell of Lungfish), Invisible Circle @ Cake Shop
If you missed the Irving Plaza show, Julian Casablancas plays Starland Ballroom in NJ on Tuesday.
The lineup at Whiplash tonight is Pete Holmes, Leo Allen, Moshe Kasher, Ari Shaffir, & guest host Sean Patton.
Wednesday is the LATFH book release show at UCB.
Cotton commercial star Zooey Deschanel plays as one half of She & Him for two nights in a row starting at Bowery Ballroom starting tonight.
Our SXSW Saturday day party host extraordinaire, Nardwuar, interviewed VV Brown (who just played Mercury Lounge and Music Hall of Williamsburg) in Austin. You can watch it below.
Black Lips and Pierced Arrows have a free show in Brooklyn coming up.
Video from the Skeletons show at Silent Barn where they were joined by Nine 11 Thesaurus, below....
Will Sheff & Roky Erickson
"Welcome to Montreal -- how do you like the Weather?" - Martin Cesar, Think About Life.
After three lovely days of sunny, mild weather, the skies went grey and cold for the last day of SXSW, Saturday, March 20th, with temperatures dropping to around 45 degrees. Almost no one seemed prepared for it, judging by the throngs of under-dressed shivering all over town. With a lot of the Austin venues being outdoor, it especially hurt. Our final party of a very busy week of parties was a free badge-less official SXSW event that we did with the M for Montreal folks, at the two-stage Galaxy Room (formerly Radio Room & Bourbon Rocks). The main stage was outside -- under a tent, which helped just a little -- and while temperatures were low, spirits were high and it was maybe the most fun I had all week.
My favorite set of the day came early. Think About Life are so much fun live, so much genuine positivity, it's hard to be in a bad mood with them on stage. An instant hangover cure. I think this was the first time a lot of the audience had ever seen them play, if the number of people who asked me who they were was any indication. At one point singer Martin Cesar left the stage as if their set was over, only to appear in the middle of the crowd dancing, hyping people up. That they didn't do "Johanna" is my only complaint. NYers can see them on April 27 when Think About Life play Mercury Lounge. It's part of a fairly extensive U.S. tour, do go see them.
I was also super-pumped to see The Besnard Lakes whose new album The Besnard Lakes Are the Roaring Night is pretty fantastic. Specifically, I wanted to hear its epic opener, "Like the Ocean, Like the Innocent," and have it knock me back. Like a lot of Montreal bands, The Besnard Lakes' line-up ebbs and flows. Theirs does so around the core of Jace Lasek and Olga Goreas. I've seen them seven strong before, but here they were a lean mean quartet and did not disappoint. They're on tour in May, including a 5/28 show at Bowery Ballroom.
Another set I knew would be fun was Montreal's Duchess Says who played one of our CMJ day parties last year. While their more aggressive take on Devo-style protopunk is fun, it's all about singer Annie Claude who looks very cute and innocent... until the music starts. She shrieks, jumps in the audience, tackles people, pulls them to the floor, and causes general mayhem. It's more mischief than menace though. There are lots of other singers who do similar things, but never anything quite like her. After you've seen them once, part of the fun is watching other people experience them for the first time. The inside room was packed to the gills (it was warmer there). My favorite part of the show had her sitting down in the middle of the audience, methodically pulling people down with her, draping their arms over her into a giant pile of people. There's video at the bottom of this post.
The other major highlight for me was Roky Erickson with Okkervill River. I'd never seen him before and this was certainly a great live introduction to someone whose music I've loved for a long time. Will Sheff produced Roky's new album (first in 14 years) and Okkervill was his backing band on it, so the set was tight, rocking and just sounded fantastic. Roky was in great form too, and we got a few 13th Floor Elevators nuggets in there, as well as "Starry Eyes," one of my favorites of his solo material. They tour in May including a show at Webster Hall.
And there was lots more: the great Wye Oak kicked off the party with a lovely set despite cold fingers; Jason Collett was a class act with superbly-crafted country-pop (see video of his set below); Crystal Antlers filled in for BEAST who couldn't make it; Andrew WK was in full Meatloaf mode with a set of piano ballads; Plants and Animals were lush and harmony-laden; metal legends Voivod showed they've still got it; and a percussion-heavy set from L.A.'s Local Natives was probably the biggest draw of the day -- they were excellent.
Somehow I entirely missed sets by Holy Fuck (who I heard were great) and Suckers (who I've seen before many times here in NYC). A last minute addition, Nardwuar was there too, providing funny, heavily-researched band introductions as only he can. It was a great, if cold, day. Stay tuned for his video interview of Will and Roky.
Thanks to everyone who helped put this all together, and to our sponsors. More pictures and videos from the whole day below...
Nardwuar backstage @ Galaxy Room
Andrew WK on stage @ Galaxy Room
Andrew WK went from headlining Irving Plaza in NYC straight to Texas for a full schedule of SXSW shows before he left for Mexico where he played MtyMx. Then, unlike Andrew Frisicano (who went from NY to Austin to Mexico, then back to Austin and is now in Tennessee), Andrew WK came back to NYC before heading to Tennessee (where he performs at set at the Big Ears fest Friday night with the Calder Quartet) (and gives a talk there on Saturday).
Tonight (3/25), Andrew WK will appear at the Best Buy in Union Square...
"I have an in-store autograph signing at BEST BUY in Union Square tonight. It's at 8pm, on 14th street, at the corner of 4th Avenue. I'm giving away limited edition 7" records, color 8x10 photos, and posters. - Andrew WKOne of Andrew WK's SXSW shows was our Saturday BV/M For Montreal day party at Galaxy Room where he played a solo piano set after Voivod played a full legendary set of metal after Holy Fuck played their set of none of the above. All three bands were introduced by our special guest host Nardwuar who actually played a set at the Mint records showcase with Andrew on a previous day of the festival. I won't say too much more about that because we have a full post on the M For Montreal day coming, but some pictures and Nardwuar-filled videos of everything mentioned so far are below...
the girls of Magneta Lane pose w/ Nardwuar
So.. surprise tour!I didn't even realize that Magneta Lane released a new album called Gambling With God on Last Gang Records in September. That's probably because it was only released in Canada.
Technically we weren't suppose to tour till January but we figured since an opportunity came up with Sloan we couldn't say no. We've toured with the guys before and it was a blast, so here we go for a second round in 2009!
Now along with the good news we have a not so happy announcement to make for Magneta fans and for us :-(
Sadly, French won't be able to make it on this tour. Because of the late notice and spontaneous nature of the tour French must stay back and finish her exams cause she cant put back anymore school at this point and/or flunk out cause that would be a waste of a brain. She is actually a very smart cat and has always balanced music and university at the same time. And over the years has always put Magneta first and we support her now so she can be back on the road with us sooner rather then later, Its her last year folks!
She'll be joining us again right after the holidays. French we luv ya!
We'll be taking our good friend Kat from a favorite Toronto Indie band Lipstick Machine and making the trek together to some American cities and some Canadian... check out the tour section!
Neko Case @ All Points West in August (more by Chris La Putt)
tonight in NYC
* Suzanne Fiol Day
* Holden @ Sycamore
* Talibam!, Chris Peck, Living Things @ Zebulon
* Metallica, Lamb of God @ Madison Square Garden
* Shrinebuilder, Rwake, Liturgy @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Neko Case, Joey & John of Calexico @ Wellmont Theatre
* Art Brut, Jeffrey Lewis, Murder Mystery @ Bowery Ballroom
* De Cylinders, Gentleman Jesse, Girls At Dawn @ Bruar Falls
* Awesome Color, Glass Rock, Scotty Karate, Bird Law @ Glasslands
* dubknowdub, Necking, Love or Perish, Noisy Pig @ Death By Audio
* Band Of Skulls, Surefire, Violent Soho @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Afrika Bambaataa 35th Anniversary show w/ Naughty By Nature & more @ SOB's
35th Anniversary Of Hip-Hop Culture/36th Anniversary Of The Universal Zulu NationThat's tonight at SOB's. Then on Monday the same venue is hosting a Roc Raida HipHop Tribute Benefit. More upcoming hip hop shows recently listed HERE.
SUNDAY NOV 15 DOORS 7PM SHOW 8PM
ADMISSION $25 in adv/$30 day of
$10.00 off with Zulu Nation or Moorish Nationality Card)
Naughty By: Nature -Headliner
Grand Master Melle Mel
Chill Rob G
DJ DP One/DJ Chuck Chillout
It's hard to believe that SHRINEBUILDER is finally here (tonight @ LPR). Listen to "Pyramid of the Moon" below...
Neko Case hits Wellmont Theater tonight. Monday she's at Beacon Theater. Amazon thinks she put out the best album of 2009. Video of her on Letterman, below...
Art Brut plays their second NYC show of the weekend tonight. It's at Bowery Ballroom. Friday night it was at Brooklyn Bowl.
We lost Jerry Fuchsa week ago last night.
Nardwuar talked to Gossip (including Beth Ditto). Video below...
Frank Black (w/ Grand Duchy) @ Siren Fest in July (more by Tim Griffin)
tonight in NYC
* Lucha VaVOOM @ Webster Hall
* Eugene Mirman Comedy Fest
* Allen Toussaint @ Joe's Pub
* The Dumps, Flaming Tusk, Descender @ Cake Shop
* Dead Stars, A Lull, The Tales & more @ Public Assembly
* Little Joy, Sean Walsh & The National Reserve @ Maxwell's
* Freelance Whales, Modern Medical Miracle, Austin Thomas @ The Cameo
* Ty Segall, Golden Triangle, The Mantles, DJ Thanksgiving Brown @ Mercury Lounge
* Vaz, Clan of the Cave Bear, Necking, Baby Birds Don't Drink Milk @ Death By Audio
* Thursday, Fall of Troy, Young Widows, Moving Mountains, Kiss Kiss @ Bowery
* Ciao My Shining Star: The Songs of Mark Mulcahy w/ Frank Black, David Berkley, Autumn Defense, more @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
Rain Machine aka Kyp Malone plays the Bell House on Monday.
Ciao My Shining Star: The Songs of Mark Mulcahy at Music Hall of Williamsburg tonight will feature sets by Frank Black, David Berkley, Chris Harford & Ray Neal, Butterflies of Love, The Parkway Charlies, Winterpills and The Late B.P. Helium (from Of Montreal) plus "a Premiere of the Thom Yorke video 'All For The Best' and readings by graphic novelist Ben Katchor." That's just one of a few Pixies-related events coming up (not the least of which are actual Pixies shows). Joseph Arthur was originally on the MHOW bill, but he's not listed anymore.
Little Joy play, with Sean Walsh & The National Reserve, at Maxwell's tonight. On Oct 2nd, they headline Webster Hall.
Ty Segall, Golden Triangle and The Mantles play Mercury Lounge.
Last time they were in town, Thursday (the band) played Terminal 5 and Nokia Theatre. Tonight they're at the much smaller Bowery Ballroom with tourmates Fall of Troy and openers Young Widows, Moving Mountains and Kiss Kiss.
Fanfarlo gets here Monday.
Colin Meloy wrote a song on the spot last night at the Decemberists show at Terminal 5. Video below...
Olof Arnalds @ Prospect Park in June (more by Chris La Putt)
tonight in NYC
* The Rapture @ Matchless
* Blood Orange @ Bruar Falls
* We Are Ivy League @ Union Hall
* Eugene Mirman Comedy Festival
* Son Volt, Sera Cahoone @ Irving Plaza
* Aretha Franklin @ Radio City Music Hall
* The Horrors, Crocodiles @ Bowery Ballroom
* The Sounds, Foxy Shazam @ Roseland Ballroom
* Ramona Falls, Music Video, We Are Country Mice @ Pianos
* Olof Arnalds, Nadia Sirota, Emilyn Brodsky @ Union Pool
* Face to Face, Pegboy, Polar Bear Club @ Gramercy Theatre
* Richard Lloyd & The Sufi-Monkey Trio @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Datarock, Esser, JDH & Dave P, Karin Park @ Highline Ballroom
* Fun., Miniature Tigers, New Numbers, DJ F-Word @ Mercury Lounge
* The Weakerthans, Rock Plaza Central, Tomte @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Drink Up Buttercup, The Art of Shooting, Candle Of Paradise @ Glasslands
* Country Music Fest w/ The Defibulators, Sammo, Alana Amram @ Southpaw
* Grooms, Videohippos, Starring, PC Worship, Anamanaguchi, Dome Theater @DBA
* Nudie Jeans Fashion Party w/ Lykke Li (DJ), Bjorn of Peter Bjorn & John (DJ) & Lemonade (DJ) @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* New Languages Fest w/ Darcy James Argue's Secret Society, House of Mirrors, The Respect Sextet @ McCarren Hall
There's a free VICE / Nudie Jeans Fashion Party with DJ sets from Lemonade, Lykke Li and Bjorn of Peter Bjorn & John at Le Poisson Rouge.. RSVP. 11PM doors, 21+ Free Colt 45 and Well Liquor Open Bar from 11PM-12:30AM. Flyer below. There's a VICE / something else party with a set by the Rapture in Brooklyn.
Fun. is Nate Ruess (The Format), ex-Anathallo multi-instrumentalist Andrew Dost and Steel Train's Jack Antonoff.
Son Volt dropped a new album this summer, and now they come to NYC's Irving Plaza for a show with Sera Cahoone.
The Horrors play with Crocodiles at Bowery Ballroom tonight. Both bands return in October.
The Weakerthans play two nights in NYC now. Tonight is at Music Hall of Williamsburg with Rock Plaza Central and Tomte. A live Weakerthans video from 2006 below...
Olof Arnalds winds up her recently NYC trip with a show at Union Pool that also includes Nadia Sirota and Emilyn Brodsky.
Face to Face, Pegboy (ex-Naked Rayguy) and Polar Bear Club are currently on a tour that stops at Gramercy Theatre tonight.
Television's Richard Lloyd plays with The Sufi-Monkey Trio at (Le) Poisson Rouge tonight.
Tim Heidecker stars in Clues' new video for "You Have My Eyes Now," which is posted below.
Little Boots was in town last night. Coverage of that coming soon. In the meantime, her interview with Nardwuar below...
The Horrors @ Music Hall of Williamsburg in May (more by Zach Stern)
tonight in NYC
* Vulture Whale @ Pianos
* Helado Negro, Rad Unicorn @ The Jackson
* Impediments, Buzzer, Ex-Humans @ Don Pedro's
* The Drums, Joakim (DJ) @ Tribeca Grand Hotel
* Nine Inch Nails, The Horrors @ Bowery Ballroom
* All Star 34 Band Salute to John Hughes @ Cake Shop
* Warm Up w/ Talibam!, The Phenomenal Handclap Band @ PS1
* Palomar, Folklore, My Teenage Stride, Knight School @ Bruar Falls
* Nebula, The Entrance Band, Snake Sustaine Naam @ Santos Party House
* Roots of American Music w/ Lizz Wright, Allen Toussaint @ Damrosch Park
* Choo Choo La Rouge, Dump, Clint Michigan, Jennifer O'Connor @ Union Hall
* Willie Mae Rock Camp For Girls Showcase Concert @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* These Are Powers, Jessica Hopper, Katie Stelmanis @ Littlefield
* Real Estate, Air Waves, Ducktails, Family Portrait, Beach Fossils @ Market Hotel
* Roots of American Music: In The Spirit of Odetta w/ Ramblin' Jack Elliot, more @ Damrosch Park
* The Death Set, Team Robespierre, NinjaSonik, Juiceboxxx, Best Fwends, Cerebral Ballzy, So So Glos & Wild Yaks Over the Auto Parts Store
Lincoln Center Out of Doors Fest's closing weekend features the 26th Annual Roots of American Music Fest with an afternoon program of "In The Spirit of Odetta" that features Tommy Sands and Fionan and Moya, Calypso Rose, Ramblin' Jack Elliot and The Holmes Brothers. Then tonight, the Damrosch Park Bandshell hosts Lizz Wright and Allen Toussaint.
PS1's Warm Up brings Talibam! and The Phenomenal Handclap Band. And not surprisingly, TPHB have yet another new gig booked. They'll be opening for >Chromeo at their Irving Plaza show on October 16th.
Speaking of bands who get booked on a lot of good show, The Drums play with DJ Joakim at the Tribeca Grand Hotel
Littlefield hosts a party for The Girls Guide to Rocking with music from These Are Powers, Jessica Hopper, Katie Stelmanis, Ghost Bees and MNDR.
There's a mystery bill at the Cake Shop's All Star 34 Band Salute to John Hughes
Santos Party House hosts a heavy-rock lineup of Nebula, The Entrance Band, Snake Sustaine and Naam. You may have caught The Entrance Band when they opened for Sonic Youth. Speaking of Sonic Youth, they have a show coming up at Terminal 5.
Helado Negro aka Roberto Carlos Lange kicks off his "5 Borough Tour," taking place throughout the week, with a show in Queens at The Jackson.
Nardwuar interviewed La Roux. Video below...
the Waterfront - emptied out due to lightning - July 26, 2009 (by Kurt Christensen)
Trail of Dead never got a chance to play the Pool Party at the Williamsburg Waterfront on Sunday. Grupo Fantasma, HEALTH, and Black Lips did get to perform before they called it for lightning though. More pictures soon. In the meantime, I posted seven other sets of photos on Sunday (still not caught up either), and then there's the pretty pics from the sunny South Street Seaport show on Friday, and Thursday's Ted Leo show where bands were also cut due to the weather.
If you were looking forward to Trail of Dead, don't worry, they play the NYC-area three more times between now and September 19th (though not for free). The first chance to see them again is this very Saturday at All Points West. They go on at 1:50 PM.
This coming Sunday's Pool Party at Williamsburg Waterfront is the one with Dan Deacon, Deerhunter, and No Age (playing in the round). It's unfortunate that it conflicts with All Points West.
The current weather report lists isolated and scattered thunderstorms on Friday (30% chance of rain) and Sunday (40% chance of rain). Saturday is partly cloudy (20% chance of rain). The chances of no-rain are thankfully much higher.
What did you do this weekend?
Nardwuar posted a video interview with Little Boots. Below...
The Drums @ Cake Shop in May (more by Dominick Mastrangelo)
tonight in NYC
* Bilal @ Blue Note
* Old 97's @ Maxwell's
* Mika @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* John Hammond @ City Winery
* Diana Krall @ Carnegie Hall
* John Hammond @ Hudson Square
* Build, Greta Gertler @ Joe's Pub
* Eivind Opsvik's Overseas @ Zebulon
* Little Joy, The Dead Trees @ Bowery Ballroom
* Bedouin Sound Clash, DeLeon @ Mercury Lounge
* Exact Change 20th Anniversary @ Issue Project Room
* Ezra Furman & The Harpoons, Anni Rossi, Pearl & The Beard @ Pianos
* The Legends, The Drums, Soft City, Care Bears On Fire @ The Bell House
* Patrick Wolf, Living Things, Jaguar Love, Plastiscines @ Highline Ballroom
* Patterson Hood & The Screwtopians, Will Johnson, Kevn Kinney @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Gary Wilson, Birds of Avalon, Animal Cruel-T, Silk Flowers, Ted Leo (DJ), Spencer Sweeney (DJ) @ Santos Party House
Little Joy, who opened for Regina Spektor last week, headlines a sold-out show at the Bowery Ballroom tonight.
Drive-By Trucker Patterson Hood plays the first of two NYC solo shows, tonight at MHOW.
New music ensemble Build collaborates with Greta Gertler at Joe's Pub. On the program, "In addition to performing separately, Greta and Build will join forces in premiering new string arrangements by Build's Matt McBane for songs from Greta's forthcoming album The Universal Thump."
Publisher Exact Change celebrates its 20th anniversary at Issue Project Room tonight with music and performances by "Joan La Barbara, Loren Connors, Alan Licht, Till by Turning, Alex Waterman, Barbara Epler, James Hoff, Kenneth Goldsmith, Damon Krukowski and Naomi Yang responding to and reading the work of Joseph Cornell, Franz Kafka, Morton Feldman, Stefan Thermerson, Leonora Carrington, Unica Zurn and John Cage."
Santos hosts Stones Throw funk singer and recluse Gary Wilson tonight. Tuesdays are also the venue's weekly Sessions at Santa's parties. This week's lineup includes Birds of Avalon and DJ Ted Leo. Leo just wrapped up his tour with the Pharmacists and Titus Andronicus last night at Maxwell's.
Santos part-owner Andrew W.K. (who tends to hang around the club a lot) won't be there. He's in Vancouver, BC, appearing at the release show for his split 7-inch with Nardwuar & The Evaportors. That record, A Wild Pear, comes out today.
Yesterday, we posted a video of Triumph at Bonnaroo. Another video of the Insult Comic Dog, with clips of Dirty Projectors and A.A. Bondy at the fest, below...
tonight in NYC
* Youssou N'Dour @ BAM
* Buke and Gass @ Sycamore
* Phish @ Jones Beach Theater
* Transit @ Issue Project Room
* Dark Meat, Disappears @ Cake Shop
* Lee Fields & the Expressions @ Southpaw
* Tribeca New Music Festival @ Flea Theater
* Charlie Hunter, Elysian Fields @ The Stone
* Holiday Shores, Doctor Ready @ Shea Stadium
* Amanda Palmer, The Lisps @ Highline Ballroom
* Dave1 from Chromeo (DJ), Viking @ Webster Hall
* Shannon McNally, Jones Street Station @ 92YTribeca
* Eric Friedlander, Colin Stetson @ Abrons Art Center
* Rooftop Films w/ Bottle Up & Go @ Open Road Rooftop
* Detachment Kit, Goes Cube, The Thin Man @ Union Hall
* Amanda Blank, The Freedom Party @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* James Yuill, True Widow, Field Recordings @ The Annex
* TV on the Radio, Dirty Projectors @ Central Park Summerstage
* Pink Mountaintops, Quest for Fire, Hard Drugs @ The Bell House
* Endless Boogie, Five Dollar Priest, Electroputas, Coconuts @ Fontana's
* Love Is All, Right on Dynamite, Sean Bones @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Rosetta, Architect, The Handshake Murders, Hot Cha Cha @ Death By Audio
* Family Band, Parkington Sisters, TK Webb & Friends @ Dam Stuhltrager
* Screaming Females, No Courage, The Eskalators, Michael Jordan, No One & The Somebodies, more @ Hillstock Music Fest
* Shellshag, Passive Aggressor, Stupid Party, Ukebox, Fiasco, Grass Widow, Pregnant, Querent, Little Lungs @ Don Pedro
* Art Brut, Jeffrey Lewis & the Junkyard, Keith TOTP & his Minor US Indie Celebrity All Star Backing Band @ Mercury Lounge
Friday and Saturday are your last chance to see Cirque du Quoi?!? at the House of Yes.
It's raining like crazy. Dirty Projectors go on at 6:30 (or maybe 7:00).
This weekend is the Fangoria Convention.
Saturday is the Roots Picnic in Philly.
Screaming Females are touring with The Dead Weather.
In the Vivian Girls video interview with Nardwuar, you can see at bit of the interview he did with Mika Miko. That entire interview is below...
David Byrne @ Shelburne Museum, Vermont- 6.1.09 (by Graeme Flegenheimer)
tonight in NYC
* The Drums @ The Annex
* David Byrne @ Wellmont Theatre
* Yuka Honda, Sex Mob @ The Stone
* Mandy Moore, Tracy Bonham @ Joe's Pub
* Jack Penate, Tanlines, Hexa @ Bruar Falls
* Juliana Barwick, Twi The Humble Feather @ Pianos
* Holiday Shores, Cinema, Cinema, J DiMenna @ Cake Shop
* Jessica Lea Mayfield, Among the Oak and Ash @ Maxwell's
* Amanda Palmer, Neil Gaiman @ Housing Works Bookstore Cafe
* Gay Beast, Satanized, Joe Lentini, Hot Guts @ Silent Barn
* Art Brut, Tiny Masters of Today, U.S. Royalty @ Mercury Lounge
* Afrobeat Fest w/ Oran Etkin, Wunmigirl, Fertile Ground, Asiko @ Knitting Factory
* Bang on a Can't Afford the Other Benefit w/ So Percussion, Newspeak, Gutbucket, NOW Ensemble @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Bang on a Can benefit w/ Steve Reich, Meredith Monk, David Cossin, Wu Man, Maya Beiser, Talujon @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
Other Music changed one detail about getting tickets to the Dirty Projectors in-store. Those albums are now going on sale TONIGHT. You need to go buy an album to get into the show.
Femi Kuti & the Positive Force and BLK JKS AREN'T playing Irving Plaza tonight -- but they will be there tomorrow.
David Byrne is also playing Prospect Park on Monday.
Doves play Terminal 5 tomorrow.
We premiered the new James Yuill video yesterday. It's below again in case you missed it....
Nardwuar intereviewed K'naan. Full extended video interview below...
Peaches' new video for "Lose You" below...
by Andrew Frisicano
Andrew WK takes to the stage of Santos Party House, the club he partially owns, this Thursday, May 28th for a show with Cherie Lily, Height with Friends, Ed Schrader, DJ Dog Dick, Ana Lola Romanhas and host Aleister X. Also appearing will be Julia, Samuel and Bad Brilliance. Tickets are on sale.
That event is a release party of sorts for the first record from Andrew WK's Skyscraper Music Maker label. That compilation, DAMN! The Mixtape Vol. 1, released on May 25th, features "Andrew's work as a producer for Skyscraper Music Maker artists, Bad Brilliance, Aleister X, and more." Check out a streaming sample at RCDLBL, and a trailer for it, along with the video for Bad Brilliance's "It's So Fun" (remixed by AWK), below.
This September, Skyscraper Music Maker (with its partner Cargo Records) will release Andrew WK's new record, 55 Cadillac, a disc of solo piano improvisations. There's an advertisement/preview video for the disc, also below.
Just a few days ago, Andrew WK started his own Twitter, and already he's been dropping news bits (and trying to get people to call him). Along with more prosaic observations about pizza and dusty Diet Coke, Andrew announced that his 2006 overseas-only album, delayed previously because of contractual obligations, will finally be see US release, as well as new disc(?) Young Lord. He writes, "Close Calls With Brick Walls is coming in the winter and Young Lord is next!"
Andrew WK is releasing material sooner than that even. Nardwuar, the Canadian music personality, is putting out a 7-inch on June 23rd called A Wild Pear! split between his own band, The Evaporators, and Andrew WK. The CD release party for that EP is part of a larger Andrew WK summer Canadian tour coming in June. That tour includes Sled Island Fest in June, and more shows with The Evaporators (who killed it at SXSW this year). All dates below.
Non-Canadians get Andrew WK love this summer too, as his new TV show, DESTROY BUILD DESTROY, is premiering on Cartoon Network on June 20th. The program is "a game show involving teenagers and 100 foot high explosions, quadruple wide fire-balls, and the will to create from the ashes!" Check out a preview for that below.
All above mentioned videos, show posters, and a "Learn How to Play Andrew WK songs" clip hosted by WK himself, below...
a shot from Sled Island 2008 (more by Rae Holtsabum)
The Sled Island Music and Arts Festival -- taking place at various venues in Calgary, Alberta from June 24 to June 27 -- is pleased to announce the initial line-up and the inclusion of Olympic Plaza as the main venue on Friday, June 26. This year will include over 200 bands performing at 23 venues plus art shows, film screenings, and a comedy component at the Sled Island Music and Arts Festival.Festival passes are on sale now.
Sled Island 2009 will feature performances by the influential indie rock darlings The Breeders (featuring Kim Deal of the Pixies) making their first Calgary performance, NYC post-punk revivalists Liars bringing the noise, the legendary Canadian metal band Anvil the recent subjects of the critically acclaimed documentary Anvil: The Story of Anvil and the garage rock assault of Tel Aviv's Monotonix known for their incredible live show. New Orleans-based musician and mad genius inventor of the 'drum buddy' Quintron & Ms. Pussycat will bring the party along with blood-soaked party rocker Andrew W.K. and Toronto-based electro tour-de-force Holy Fuck on the more 'offensive' front. Phil Elverum's (of The Microphones) latest moniker Mount Eerie will deliver a symbiotic balance of fuzz and folk matched by Owen Pallett's Final Fantasy surrealist violin stage performance. Calgary-based experimental icons Azeda Booth aim to mystify crowds along with their all-male psychedelic pop counterparts Women making their second festival appearance...The complete festival line-up and schedule will be revealed on June 1. [pr]
As previously reported, Colin Newman, vocalist and guitarist for Wire, will be guest curating this year's festival. Full lineup below...