Entries tagged with: Night Slugs
Black Dice were supposed to play 285 Kent tonight (9/27) with Teengirl Fantasy, but that show had to be canceled at the last minute due to a family emergency.
In its place, 285 Kent will instead host a Lit City/Fade to Mind/Night Slugs party with a bunch of the regulars, including Bok Bok, Kingdom, L-Vis 1990, Rizzla, MikeQ, Jubilee, and J-Cush. Not a bad last minute replacement. Tickets for tonight's party are on sale now.
Fade to Mind is also throwing a party soon at Output on October 10, which also includes Kingdom, in addition to Nguzunguzu, Prince Will, and special guests. Tickets for that show are on sale now.
In related news, on October 1, Fade to Mind will release the debut from Teengirl Fantasy collaborator Kelela, CUT 4 ME. The album features production from Nguzunguzu, Kingdom, Bok Bok, Jam City, Girl Unit, and more. Stream the Nguzunguzu-produced single, "Enemy," below...
Foals @ Coachella 2013 (more by Wei Shi)
Besnard Lakes @ SXSW 2013 (more by Sara Pieper)
today in NYC
* Discipline @ Acheron
* Stornoway @ Maxwell's
* Brian Eno @ Cafe Rouge
* Guy Klucevsek @ Barbes
* Jay Brannan @ Joe's Pub
* Paula Cole @ City Winery
* Earth, Wind & Fire @ NJPAC
* Chia's Dance Party @ Barbes
* The Young Lions @ The Stone
* Atlas Genius @ Original Penguin
* Foals, Surfer Blood, Blondfire @ Terminal 5
* No Regular Play, Justin Miller @ Cameo Gallery
* Johnny Marr, Alamar @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Rush Midnight, Rioux, Candide @ Mercury Lounge
* Not Blood Paint, SWIMM, O Paradiso @ Glasslands
* Xenia Rubinos, Railbird, Leapling @ Cameo Gallery
* Ben Harper, Charlie Musselwhite @ Beacon Theatre
* Lockets, Breakfast In Fur, Daytona @ Shea Stadium
* Alexi Delano, Matthew Dear, Alejandro Sab @ Output
* Masters at Work, Suzanne Kraft, Jolly Mare @ Le Bain
* A Giant Dog, Neighbors, A. Rex & J. Rex @ Don Pedro
* Gun Outfit, Pampers, Big Ups, Ornament @ Union Pool
* Gramatik, Cherub, heRobust, Alex English @ Webster Hall
* Kastle (live set), Knxledge, Morri$, Peter Fonda @ 285 Kent
* Shannon F. of Light Asylum (DJ), SSION (DJ) @ Glasslands
* Black Taxi, Easter Island, Emily King @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Nails, Xibalba, Early Graves, White Widows @ Saint Vitus Bar
* Crazy Pills, Auto Bonfire, Stereo Off, DJ KGB @ The Rock Shop
* The Besnard Lakes, Gem Club, Weeknight @ Bowery Ballroom
* Janeane Garofalo, Dave Hill, Forbidden Planet NYC @ UCB East
* Knox, QuietDust, August Rosenbaum, Jimi Nxir @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Special Guest, The Snails, Moss Of Aura, Alle Alle @ Death By Audio
* John Legend, Salome Chamber Orchestra, Ryan Leslie @ United Palace Theatre
* Eric Copeland (of Black Dice), Blues Control, Son of Dad, Liz Ber (DJ) @ Silent Barn
* Marky Ramone's Blitzkrieg, Andrew W.K. (special vocal guest) @ Santos Party House
* Wax Idols, TV Ghost, The Laurels, Far Out Fangtooth, RITUAL (DJ Sets) @ Cake Shop
* Alex Vans & the Hide Away, Dig For Honey, Heels on Fire, Betty Who, Steven Roth @ Pianos
* Judah Friedlander, Janeane Garofalo, Christian Finnegan, MadDog @ Eastville Comedy Club
* Martin Dosh, Aaron Parks, Chris Morrissey, Jeremy Ylvisaker, Aaron Parks @ Shapeshifter Lab
* Ken Boothe, Crazy Baldhead, Deadly Dragon Sound System, Grace of Spades, Dig Deeper, Mr. Robinson, DJ H @ Littlefield
* French Horn Rebellion (Party Ensemble), Auto Body, JD Samson (of Le Tigre), Ernesto (of Penguin Prison), The Dirty Grand (DJ) @ Brooklyn Bowl
Lovers of sweeping guitar rock should consider hitting Bowery Ballroom tonight for Montreal's Besnard Lakes who are touring in support of their soaring new album, Until in Excess, Imperceptible UFO. Gem Club and Weeknight are also on the bill and tickets are still available.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Flaming Lips have a new video for The Terror track "You Lust," and unsurprisingly at this point, it's extremely NSFW. It's also not safe for people who aren't comfortable seeing electrodes attached to people's gentalia. (NSFPWACSEATPG) So, you've been warned, it's below if you wanna watch.
by Andrew Sacher
Toronto producer Egyptrixx (aka David Psutka) released his impressive debut album, BIble Eyes, back in 2011 via Night Slugs and if this facebook status is any indication, he should have its followup out at some point soon. Not sure if this mysterious video clip called "A/B" has anything to do with it. He also recently contributed to the Night Slugs Allstars Volume 2 compilation along with labelmates Kingdom, Bok Bok, Jam City, Girl Unit, L-VIS 1990, and more. You can stream his contribution, "Adult," below.
Though Egyptrixx won't join his Night Slugs friends at their party at Output on March 21 or at their show during the Red Bull Music Academy NYC residency, he'll play his own NYC show on April 12 at Cameo Gallery with Evan Michael, T'Angelo, and Judge Wise. Tickets for that show are on sale now. It's his only announced date that we're aware of at the moment.
UPDATE: He also released a new song, "Disorbital" [Alternate Version], today. Stream that, along with a stream of "Adult" and the flyer for the Cameo show below...
As mentioned this past January, Williamsburg got a new, 452-capacity dance club, Output at 74 Wythe Ave by N. 12th St. We weren't sure exactly what types of "techno, house and other EDM styles" would be booked at the venue, but we're happy to report that they've already got some great shows coming up, as part of their weekly Thursday party, INPUT.
We already mentioned that Shlohmo's tour with D33J hits the venue on March 7, but that show is even better than we knew then, because Rustie, Jackmaster, and Oneman are on it too. Tickets for that show are on sale now.
Then on March 14, Maxxi Soundsystem will play with Compuphonic, Plastic Plates, and Let's Play House's Jacques Renault (tickets). Meanwhile, there's a Let's Play House party happening this Friday (3/1) at Le Bain with DFA Records DJ Shit Robot and Eug.
The Night Slugs crew is hitting the venue on March 21 for a great show which features Bok Bok, Kingdom, L-Vis 1990, Girl Unit, Mike Q, Rizzla, and a live set from Teengirl Fantasy collaborator Kelela. Tickets for that one are on sale now.
You can stream a Rustie track below...
by Andrew Sacher
Night Slugs, one of the best current labels for left field bass music, are putting together a mini-tour with Girl Unit, Kingdom, and label co-founders Bok Bok and L-Vis 1990. The tour surrounds Holy Ship!!, which sets sail off the coast of Ft. Lauderdale on Friday (1/4), and it hits NYC on January 11 at Steel Drums (35 Beadel Street in Brooklyn). Tickets for that show are on sale now.
The show flyer, a list of all dates, and some song streams are below...
by Andrew Sacher
UK producer Girl Unit (aka Philip Gamble) is currently wrapping up a short Australian tour, which he'll follow with a short visit to the US next month. After taking a bit of a break, he'll return to our shores in the fall for a few more shows, including a NYC date on October 5 at Glasslands for a LAZERPOP party. Tickets for that show are on sale now.
Girl Unit's most recent release is the Club Rez EP, which he dropped on Night Slugs earlier this year. It's super dancey and should be a hit when he plays it at Glasslands. You can stream the whole EP via a spotify widget below.
That stream and a list of all dates are below.
by Andrew Sacher
After So So Glos, Lost Boy, Life Size Maps, and Big Ups play 285 Kent tonight (5/25), an entirely different show will go down at the venue. Weird Terrain is throwing a dance party which will kick off at midnight and reign until the wee hours of the morn. The party's being headlined by Traxman (aka Cornelius Ferguson), who's pretty much running the game of footwork right now and has been a mainstay in the Chicago dance scene since the 90s. He recently released a great new full length, Da Mind of Traxman, on Planet Mu and you can stream the track, "1988" from that release below.
Tonight's lineup also includes Howse (aka Nathaniel Oak), one of the newest members of the small, but always impressive Tri Angle Records family. Like labelmates Balam Acab, Clams Casino, and oOoOO, Howse's beats emerge from dark, otherworldy swamps, rarely feeling like they've ever seen the light of day. And he'll be a great fit with Traxman tonight too -- underneath those swampy layers, he's blasting minimal footwork patterns that no doubt are inspired by the scene Traxman has long been part of. Tri Angle will issue Howse's most recent EP, Lay Hallow, on May 28. Listen to the track, "VBS" below.
Also on tonight's bill is 100% Silk artist Octo Octa (aka Michael Morrison), who dropped a collaborative 12" with La Vampires (aka Amanda Brown) last week. The collaboration is some of the strongest material I've heard from either artist. See for yourself by checking out the video for "Freedom 2K" and stream another track from the collab, "Wherever, Boy" below.
You can keep the party going at 285 Kent on Saturday (5/26) too when Lazer Sword (who are on Modeselektor's Monkeytown label) come through on their North American tour which kicks off tonight in Charlotte, NC. Tomorrow's show is with Night Slugs producers MORRI$ and Helix, along with resident Fade to Mind, Weird Magic, and S!CK DJs. Tickets are available. The tour is in support of Lazer Sword's new album, Memory, out now on Monkeytown. Stream the track, "Missed a Spot," from that release below.
Another dance option for tonight (5/25) is the Turbotax party at Santos Party House, which is billed as 'Fade to Mind vs Night Slugs." It's part of a North American tour that Bok Bok (Night Slugs) is on, and tonight he'll by joined by Rizzla (Fade to Mind) and Kingdom (who has releases on Night Slugs and runs Fade to Mind), along with Turbotax regular Rem Koolhaus. Check out a recent Night Slugs mix Bok Bok made, which features material from Night Slugs labelmates Girl Unit and Jam City, here. A list of all Bok Bok dates, his tour flier, and the flier for tonight's show are below.
Speaking of Night Slugs, both Jam City and Girl Unit have new releases out on the label this month. Stream clips of Girl Unit's Club Rez EP below and stream a genesis mix for Jam City's Classical Curves LP (his debut full length) here. Jam City is currently supporting that release on tour and will come to NYC for a turbotax party on July 27. A list of all Jam City dates and the tour flier are below.
One last related bit, LA duo Nguzunguzu, who have released material on Kingdom's Fade to Mind label, have a new EP coming called Warm Pulse. It will be out July 3 digitally and August 14 physically via Hippos in Tanks. The cover art is below.
A list of all dates, streams, video and fliers below...