Entries tagged with: Nightbirds
Night Birds at House of Vans, August 2012 (more by Fred Pessaro // BBG)
Night Birds join Lemuria & Parquet Courts in supporting Fucked Up at Warsaw on Friday (12/21, tickets), and as such we cornered Brian Gorsegner to ask about his 2012. The Night Birds frontman's journey through music in 2012 in handy list format is below.
Beirut at Sasquatch, 2012 (more by Chris Graham)
today in NYC
* Dead Tape @ Zebulon
* Tori Scott @ Joe's Pub
* Neil Rolnick @ The Stone
* Beirut @ Rumsey Playfield
* Kristin Norderval @ The Stone
* Sheila E, fDELUXE @ BB King's
* Dead Can Dance @ Beacon Theatre
* Russ Lossing Oracle Trio @ Barbes
* The Mandingo Ambassadors @ Barbes
* The Gourds, Pat Sweany @ Mercury Lounge
* Life Size Maps, La Big Vic @ McCarren Park
* Angel Haze, Denzil Porter, Talonted @ SOB's
* Y La Bamba, Chris Pureka @ Knitting Factory
* Bird Dog, Adam McBride-Smith, Moga @ Rock Shop
* Yellow Dogs, The Hot Stiffs, Stamps @ Party XPO
* Psychic Limb, Monogamy Party, Burglers @ Cake Shop
* Turbonegro, Doomriders, Night Birds @ House of Vans
* The Everymen, ohnomoon, Los Encantados @ The Delancey
* Eidetic Seeing, Dharana, OdO (of Forma) @ Shea Stadium
* Veronica Klaus Sings The Peggy Lee Songbook @ Joe's Pub
* Naomi Punk, Nude Beach, Sleepies, Shoxx @ Death By Audio
* Oberhofer, Bleeding Rainbow, Heavenly Beat @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Lost Coves, The Netherlands, Fashion Week, No Way @ Union Pool
* Behavior, Judy Blooms, Weird Rivers, Punks On Mars @ Muchmore's
* Sean Bones, Papertwin, Juston Stens & The Get Real Gang @ Glasslands
* Martin Crane of Brazos, The Weather Station, Will Stratton @ Union Hall
* Rocket & The Ghost, Vassals, Indian Rebound, The Sanctuaries, Jae @ Pianos
* Mick Barr, Zs, Wet Ink, Extra Life, Hubble, Diamond Terrifier @ 285 Kent Ave
* Swordmasters of Ginaz, Black Table, HEADSNATCHER, Black Water, So Hideous @ Tommy's Tavern
* The Vandelles, Cool Serbia, HITS (Formerly Jump Into the Gospel), Four Visions @ Public Assembly
Tonight is the first of a pair of Dead Can Dance shows at the Beacon.
Empire Records is screening for free along with performances from Life Size Maps and La Big Vic at McCarren Park. Sadly, it is the last Sumerscreen of the season. Where did the summer go?
Zs celebrate their tenth anniversary with a show at 285 Kent tonight. Congrats guys.
Big Freedia cancelled her appearance aboard the Rocks Off Cruise scheduled for tonight.
Baroness are no longer on board for tonight's House of Vans show, but you can still catch Turbonegro, Doomriders and Night Birds.
Follow BrooklynVegan on Instagram.
Yeasayer made a video for "Longevity," off their new album, Fragrant World. Check it out below. Their tour brings them to NYC for a show at Central Park Summerstage next month (9/12).
Screaming Females made a video for their song "It All Means Nothing" in which Marissa Paternoster's shredding skills expand to human flesh. Zombies! Watch it below.
Speaking of Screaming Females, you can see big prints of them in action and other artists at the BV photo exhibit "480 Pixels" which is currently on display at 92YTribeca through September 6. Gallery hours today are till 3 PM.
Turbonegro, backstage at Santos 2011 (more by Keith Marlowe)
For those of you who "got erection" at the idea of a free Turbonegro show, RSVP is now open for their appearance at House of Vans on August 29th with Doomriders and Night Birds (who played Saturday at Acheron) but not Baroness (who cancelled due to injury). The show is final HoV event for the summer (bum-out!) and Turbonegro's first NYC date since the release of their new LP, Sexual Harassment, which we chronicled the making of.
In related news, Nate Newton of Doomriders also serves as a member of Converge, and you can Catch them on the road with Kvelertak and Torche.
In still other related news, Baroness recently cancelled their appearance at Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin. Get well soon guys!
by Fred Pessaro // BBG
Toys That Kill at Chaos in Tejas 2011 (more by Harriet Roberts)
If Toys That Kill's new LP, Fambly 42, was a piece of candy, it would most definitely be a jawbreaker. Hard as nails yet sugary sweet, the LP is a pure pop-punk confection. Catch the band on the road this fall in celebration of the new LP, NYC gets the look at Acheron on October 18 with a stellar lineup of Nude Beach and Night Birds. The next night at the venue (10/19) is curiously empty, so I would expect another show to pop up in that space...it is CMJ after all.
In related news, Night Birds are celebrating the vinyl release of their compilation LP, Fresh Kills Vol. 1, via Grave Mistake with a show at Acheron on Saturday (8/25). There the surf-y punks will team with Nuclear Santa Claust, Goosebumps, Loose Ends and Mutant Genes for an 18+ show at the venue. Should be a fun one.
Tour dates and streams are below.
King Khan at The Bell House, Nov. 2011 (more by Keith Marlowe)
The full House of Vans 2012 free show schedule is up. The Greenpoint/Williamsburg space has already housed The Rapture and Tanlines this year, and we knew about the 7/12 show with H20, 7 Seconds and Tournament, but here's the rest of the summer's line-up, brought to you by the folks at FYF and the sneaker people:
July 12: H20, 7 Seconds, TournamentThe parties are free with RSVP (which hasn't been posted yet).
July 26: King Khan & The Shrines, Nicky Da B, The Everymen
Aug 2: Washed Out, Chairlift, Lemonade
Aug 16: Cursive, Titus Andronicus, Love As Laughter, Joyce Maynor
Aug 29: Turbonegro, Baroness, Doomriders, Nightbirds
One thing you notice not on this list is Quicksand which was one of the big rumors of this year's VANS schedule. That either means that Quicksand will play somewhere else, or like the upcoming free Dum Dum Girls/Widowspeak show, it won't be part of this series of "House Parties."
The July 26 show is one of many local dates from NJ's Everymen who are also playing Pianos this Friday, July 6 as part of the CBGB Festival. (Advance tickets are on sale.) After the House of Vans show, the band will go on a short East Coast tour while putting the finishing touches on their new album New Jersey Hardcore which will come out in October on Killing Horse Records. All Everymen dates are below.
by Bill Pearis
DOWNLOAD: Mean Jeans - Anybody Out There?(MP3)
One of the most spirited crowds I experienced at this year's SXSW was during Mean Jeans' set at the Dirtnap Records showcase. The room was packed, the pit went half the way back and everyone in it seemed to know the words to every song. It was a super fun show.
The Portland party punks are currently on tour which slams into NYC tonight (6/20) at Cake Shop where they'll play with Liquor Store and Foster Care. If you can't make it tonight they also play June 25 at Knitting Factory with The Copyrights, Dear Landlord, The Nightbirds and Dopamines (tickets). The band are out supporting their new album, Mean Jeans on Mars, which rips through 13 snearing, uber-catchy punk anthems in about half an hour. You can download "Anybody Out There?" at the top of this post and watch the video below, along with a list of all tour dates.