Entries tagged with: Plates of Cake
Caitlin Rose @ Mercury Lounge, 2011 (more by Chris La Putt)
today in NYC
* Uri Sharlin @ Barbes
* Ross Karre @ The Stone
* Josh Modney @ The Stone
* Martin Sexton @ City Winery
* Justin Vivian Bond @ Joe's Pub
Bush Tetras @ The Slipper Room
* Smokey's Secret Family @ Barbes
* The Moving Sidewalks @ BB King's
* Monogold, Chappo @ Knitting Factory
* Songs For Unusual Creatures @ Barbes
* Caitlin Rose, Andrew Combs @ Union Hall
* Armin Van Buuren @ Madison Square Garden
* Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ Beacon Theatre
* DJ Ronaldo, Paul Raffaele, Contakt @ Output
* Broncho, Beach Day, Ski Lodge @ Cameo Gallery
* New London Fire, The Crusaders, Etim @ Maxwell's
* Abigail Washburn: Post-American Girl @ Joe's Pub
* Mister Lies, Rimar, Heathered Pearls @ Glasslands
* Ital, Container, Co La, PVRE MATRIX @ 285 Kent Ave
* Incantation, Evoken, Derketa, Rellik @ Saint Vitus
* The Motor Tom, New Beard, Hey Anna, Sky-Pony @ Pianos
* Dopethrone, Motherplant, Dutchguts, Blackout @ The Acheron
* Takka Takka, Plates of Cake, Radical Dads, Pre War @ Cake Shop
* Aidan Baker, Insect Ark, Yoshiko Ohara @ Big Snow Buffalo Lodge
* Gangstagrass, Kamara Thomas & The Ghost Gamblers @ Mercury Lounge
* Desert Stars, Wim, Modern Merchant, The Van Gemerts @ The Rock Shop
* Tensnake, Flight Facilities, Light Year, JDH & Dave P @ SRB Brooklyn
* Iron Lung, Dream Decay, Brain Slug, Shoxx, No Tomorrow @ Death By Audio
* SSPS, Holy Balm, Father Finger, Maria Minerva DJ set @ Body Actualized Center
* Chuck Ragan, Dave Hause, Rocky Votolato, Jenny Owen Youngs, Toh Kay @ The Bell House
* Branchez, Cobra Krames, Back2Back, Dirtyfinger, Mischief, Tanner Caldwell @ Glasslands
* Martin & Lawrence, Matthew Thurber, SICK DIN, Lantern, Canadian Romantic @ Silent Barn
* Twain, The Gallerist, Charming Disaster, Keith McCurdy, Hamin Reed, Angel Ocana @ Pete's Candy Store
* Eartheater, MTNS, Laughters, Alaskas, Dillon James Rego, Big Spider's Back, Total Slacker (DJ) @ The Ho_se
* 2Pretty (Colin Self & Lain Kay), Gobby, Jealous Orgasm, Shane Shane, Bottoms, Rum (James K) @ Secret Project Robot
* Ed Schrader's Music Beat, Jamaican Queens, Free Blood, Zula @ Shea Stadium @ 8pm @ Blackbird Raum
* Narkatta (DJ set), He Met Her, The Netherlands, Speedy Ortiz, EULA, Bambara, O & TLBS, Gull, Edelweiss, A Beacon School, The Roads, DJ Keili @ Ran Tea House
* Lisa Lisa, TKA, Rob Base, Shannon, Sugar Hill Gang, Biz Markie, Judy Torres, Coro, Noel, Soul Sonic Force, Cover Girls, Cynthia, Soave, Safire, Lisette Melendez, Nayobe, Slick Rick @ Radio City Music Hall
Bummer: Tonight's Bush Tetras show at Slipper Room has been canceled due to "circumstances beyond ours and Bush Tetras' control." says the press release.
Tonight's Radical Dads show at Cake Shop is also a record release party for Plates of Cake's new album, Teenage Evil, which you can stream below, as well as watch a video for "Hey Hey That's Devotion."
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Radical Dads, who made one of my favorite albums of 2011, will release their second album, Rapid Reality, on May 21. Cover art, which you can see above, is by Brooklyn artist Dana Schutz. The album is a second helping of ultra-catchy, wide-eyed indie rock and you can stream its ripper of a lead track, "Mountain Town," below or download it from their Bandcamp.
Radical Dads have a few tour dates coming up, including a couple here in NYC: Cake Shop on March 30 with Takka Takka, Plates of Cake and Pre War; and April 10 at Death by Audio with Little Gold, Todd Killings and Heaven's Jail Band. All upcoming dates are listed below.
Julia Holter at Bowery Ballroom, Sept. 2012 (more by Amanda Hatfield)
Lord Huron @ BVCMJ 2011 (more by Amanda Hatfield)
today in NYC
* Baby Soda @ Barbes
* Mamie Minch @ Barbes
* Tamar-kali @ The Stone
* Oliver Lake @ The Stone
* John Corbett @ Maxwell's
* John Mulaney @ Caroline's
* Acid King, Blackout @ Saint Vitus
* The New Mastersounds @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Benjamin Francis Leftwich @ Webster Hall
* Snowden, The Doorbells @ Mercury Lounge
* Shit Robot (DJ), Rhythm Monks @ DROM
* Boy Morgan, Steve Schiltz @ Mercury Lounge
* Rarechild, Bird Call, Child Actor @ Glasslands
* The Scene is Now, George Sand @ The Sycamore
* Mighty Mouse, JDH & Dave P @ Cameo Gallery
* Marduk, Moonspell, Inquisition @ Gramercy Theatre
* Grace Potter & the Nocturnals @ The Capitol Theatre
* Banditas, The Feverbreakers, Dirty Virgins @ Big Snow
* Beach Fossils, Mr. Dream, Sleepies @ Bowery Ballroom
* Lord Huron, Faces on Film @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* K-Holes, Acid Baby Jesus, Livids, Hellshovel @ Cake Shop
* Rival Mob, Stick Together, Inside Out NY, Give @ 285 Kent
* Kurt Vile, Owen, The Young Women @ NYU Kimmel Center
* The Sway Machinery, Ceci Bastida, Joro Boro @ Paper Box
* Ava Luna, Fox Crane Bear, Bill Baird @ Secret Project Robot
* Clear Plastic Masks, Northern Bells, Las Rosas @ Union Pool
* Imagine Dragons, Atlas Genius, Nico Vega @ Roseland Ballroom
* YOU, Young Boys, Ritual Howls, Faten Kanaan @ Death By Audio
* Total Slacker, Le Rug, Grand Resort, Spires, O-Face @ La Piazzaetta
* Sleeping Bag, Speedy Ortiz, Shark? Plates of Cake @ Cameo Gallery
* Porches, Krill, Butter The Children, LVL UP, High Pop @ Shea Stadium
* Family Curse, Organs, The Nervous Ticks, Juniper Rising @ The Gutter
* Laurel Halo, Julia Holter, Daniel Wohl, Transit @ Merkin Concert Hall
* Bill Baird, Ava Luna, Fox/Crane/Bear, Aaron Roche @ Secret Project Robot
* Young Adults, Psychic Blood, Rat Power, Pampers, Lawsuits @ The Acheron
* Don't, The Veevees, Vagina Panther, Sun Ladders, Arielle Vakni @ Pianos
* Yr Skull My Closet, Appomattox, Descender, Desert Sharks @ The Grand Victory
* Lady Lamb The Beekeeper, Xenia Rubinos, Cuddle Magic @ The Knitting Factory
* Bit Funk, AIMES (DJ Set), Alan Blancato, DJ Ben Browning (of Cut Copy) @ Glasslands
* The Holy Mess, Hopeless Otis, The Down and Outs @ Hollis Woods Community Church
Plates of Cake, who play tonight at Cameo, will release their sophomore album on March 26 via Uninhabitable Mansions. It's called Teenage Evil and you can stream the title track below.
SXSW is coming. Follow @BVSXSW on Twitter.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
When underrated Brooklyn indie rock outfit Conversion Party disbanded last year, some of the members soldiered on to form Pre War who have been gigging and working on their debut album for most of 2013. Not dissimilar to their old band, Pre War's slack but groovy style will draw comparisons to various New Zealand bands and probably Pavement too ("On the Decline" it's hard to deny). While not groundbreaking, they are good songwriters which certainly counts for a lot. You can stream a few tracks below.
Pre War play tonight (11/13) at Cake Shop with Doron Sadja as part of the band's Tuesdays in November Residency at the Ludlow St venue. On November 20, they'll play with Little Gold and New Colossus; and on November 27 they'll share the bill with Plates of Cake.
Song streams and a video are below
by Bill Pearis
It's late April, time for The L Magazine's annual "8 Bands You Need to Hear" list. Like always, there's a few you've probably heard, a few you've heard of, and a few who may be new to you entirely. Here's the list, with the artists' next next NYC area show (where applicable)
Field Mouse (May 3 at the Rock Shop)If you'd like to hear these 8 bands "right now" there are Bandcamp streams for all of them at the bottom of this post. This year's Honorable Mentions list includes ">The Immaculates, Old Monk, Hunters and Trailblazer.
Plates of Cake (No upcoming shows)
Also, The L Magazine's Northside Festival (June 14 - 21) announced its initial 2012 line-up last week. In addition to GZA, Ceremony and Neil Hamburger (whose Northside shows we mentioned already), bands confirmed for the music portion of the Fest (June 14 - 17) include Of Montreal, Tinariwen, ?uestlove, Dam-Funk, Kool Keith, Chain & the Gang, Magrudergrind and more. Badges are on-sale now.
Click through for streams from all "8 Bands You Need to Hear"
photos by photos by Toby Tenenbaum
"There is no way in hell that Bowery Electric wasn't breaking fire codes last night at DeVotchKa. WAY over the 108 person max." - Andrew St Clair
Devtochka played a last minute surprise show last night Bowery Electric in NYC. Opener Plates of Cake went on to a packed venue at 8.45 and, Toby says, "played a mix of their yet unreleased album as well tracks from the lead singer's two previous solo efforts." "Devotchka went on at 10PM. They played a mix of old and new music with each member of the band changing instruments between and even during songs. It was a real spectacle!" The show happened simultaneously with a Gogol Bordello show at Brooklyn Bowl. Gogol and Devotchka are currently on tour together. More pictures from Bowery Electric below...