Entries tagged with: Popstrangers
!!! at Sasquatch 2011 (more by Josh Darr)
Doveman @ LPR, 1/14/2011 (more by Amanda Hatfield)
TEED @ Lollapalooza 2012 (more by James Richards IV)
today in NYC
* Grass Roots @ Barbes
* Lettuce @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Yo La Tengo @ Maxwell's
* Questlove @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Luluc @ The Mercury Lounge
* The Rascals @ The Capitol Theater
* Judah Friedlander @ Eastville Comedy Club
* WIM, Northern Bells @ Cameo Gallery
* Alexis Cuadrado Quartet @ The Stone
* Hess Is More, Ducky @ The Mercury Lounge
* Ali Shaheed Muhammad @ The Paper Box
* Oneohtrix Point Never @ NYU Kimmel Center
* The Rolling Stones @ The Prudential Center
* Ancient Sky, Bubbly Mommy Gun @ Union Pool
* School of Seven Bells @ Roosevelt Field Sony Store
* Dropkick Murphys @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Bear Hands, Joywave, Slam Donahue @ Glasslands
* Sera Cahoone, Rayland Baxter @ Knitting Factory
* Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs @ Webster Hall
* House of Blondes, Teen Commandments @ The Rock Shop
* Richie, I'm Turning Into, Shorts Band @ Death by Audio
* !!!, Sinkane, Yellow Dogs @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Gigamesh, Sean Glass DJ set, Alex English DJ set @ The DL
* Dolores Boys, Eye, Phantom Family Halo, IYEZ @ Saint Vitus
* Starring, Sam Buck Rosen, Lushes, Eartheater @ Shea Stadium
* Julio Bashmore, Paul Raffaele, Rem Koolhaus @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Young Mothers, Lips, Johanna Samuels, Tuff Sunshine @ Cake Shop
* Blue Scholars, The Physics, Brothers From Another @ Bowery Ballroom
* Taperecorder, Vulture Shit, Old Monk, Low Fat Getting High @ XPO 929
* Five O'Clock Heroes, Clinton Curtis, Blaire Reinhard @ Bowery Electric
* Grand Resort, Eastern Hollows, The Meaning of Life, Soft Skull @ Big Snow
* Jon Glaser, Janeane Garofalo, Chris Gethard, Sheng Wang, Adira Amram @ The Bell House
* Doveman, Sandra Bernhard, Yellowbirds, Hannah Cohen, The Perennials, Craig Finn of The Hold Steady @ le Poisson Rouge
* Indian Bastards From Hell (Heems & Dapwell of Das Racist), Hieroglyph Thesaurus, Free Blood, Hagfish and Poet Lounge, Dan Friel, Fox/Crane/Bear, Diamond Terrifier @ Ran Tea House
Irish indiepop band The Frank & Walters were supposed to play Mercury Lounge but that show got cancelled.
Follow BrooklynVegan on Instagram.
Eleven years ago today, the great Chuck Schuldiner passed away. His work in the US death metal favorites Death lives on, and will forever. RIP, Chuck.
!!! headline Music Hall of Williamsburg tonight. Check out some of their favorite albums and songs of 2012.
Wavves will be back with a new album, still untitled, in 2013 but to tide you over they've made a video for the first released track, "Sail To The Sun," which you can watch below.
New Zealand's Popstrangers, who were last here for CMJ (and a little after), have a new video for "Heaven" which will be on their debut album, Antipodes, out in February. Check it out below.
by Bill Pearis
Popstrangers @ Cameo, 10/19/2012 (via @brooklynvegan Instagram)
New Zealand's Popstrangers played a few shows during CMJ, inclcluding the Carpark/Paw Tracks showcase at Cameo on Thursday (10/18) which I stopped at briefly. The trio bring the noise, making a racket not unlike their NZ indie ancestors 3D's, all buzzsaw guitars, manic drumming and distorted, flinty bass. The band are still in town and will play Pianos tonight (10/23) with Majical Cloudz, Archie Powell & the Exports and advance tickets are available.
Carpark will release Popstrangers debut album, Antipodes, on February 26. The first single from the album, "Heaven," can be streamed below.
Also on the bill, as you may have seen, is Montreal's Majical Cloudz who are signed to Arbutus Records, who toured the UK with Grimes last month, and contributed to Grimes' album, Visions. They played the Arbutus party at Death by Audio on Friday (10/20), maybe you saw them then. You can stream a couple tracks below.
Die! Die! Die!
Like in past years, New Zealand is being represented at CMJ with a kickoff party at Le Poisson Rouge on October 16. The lineup includes Six60, Die! Die! Die!, Ghost Wave, Popstrangers, Lawrence Arabia and Tom Lark. That show is totally free to the public and will stream live at LPR's Concert Window beginning at 6 PM but you do need to RSVP (just email: Pamela@themusebox.net).
Noise punks Die! Die! Die!, who have recorded for a number of labels incuding Flying Nun, also play Death by Audio on October 17 with Roomrunner and a secret guest (not an official CMJ show). More CMJ shows for them will be announced soon. Their new album, Harmony, is due out November 9 via Golden Antenna. You can stream it in its entirety below.
Ghost Wave have a few other CMJ shows, including SESAC showcase at Cake Shop on October 17 with ZZZ's, Hussle Club, I.R.O.K., Punks on Mars, Pyschobuildings, Half Undressed, Communist Daughter, and Blessed Feathers (free); and the Flowerbooking showcase at Knitting Factory on October 19 with Unicorn Kid, Ki Theory, Devin, Talk Normal, and CIties Aviv.
In other New Zealand artists playing CMJ news, as mentioned, Gotye collaborator Kimbra plays Webster Hall on October 19 and 20 with The Stepkids. Both shows are sold out, some CMJ badges will be accepted on at the 10/19 show.
Former Mint Chick Kody Nielson's (whose brother Ruban fronts Unknown Mortal Orchestra) project, Opossom has a few CMJ shows scheduled too. He'll play the Team Cleremont showcase at Union Pool on October 17 with Twin Tigers, Fantasmas, Grape Soda, and Koko Beware; the Wild Honey Pie showcase at Matchless on October 18 with Body Language, Devin, Donora, Echo Friendly, and Night Panther; the Windish showcase at Pianos on October 18 with Flume, American Royalty, Labyrinth Ear, The Luyas, Ape School, Duologue, and Moon King; and the Bowery Presents day party at Pianos on October 20 with The Orwells, Foxygen, Born Ruffians, Little Green Cars, Ava Luna, J. Thoven, San Cisco, Sky Ferreira, Murals, Zulu Pearls, and Blessed Feathers.
After CMJ, Opossom will be sticking around for more shows in NYC including the previousyl discussed show at Pianos (10/24) with Big Scary and Time Travelers and another at Cameo Gallery (10/26). Tickets for the Piano show and the Cameo show are available.
Some song stream and a video are below.
by Bill Pearis
Here we go again, folks! I'm still not used to this CMJ starting on a Tuesday thing, even though it's been this way for a few years now. Personally, I'm going to ease into things today and tonight and save my energy. Luckily, there aren't a lot of day parties on Tuesday because five days and nights is just too much for locals, and visitors are just rolling into town and getting settled. But there are some... and it's eerily like last year.
Day parties are free unless noted otherwise, ok?
The Music Slut throws their annual day party at Pianos, with two floors of fun, including the hotly-tipped bands Chad Valley. Also: We Barbarians, The Beets, The Forms, Prussia, Jonquil and more. The action starts reasonably at 2PM.
A few doors down at The Living Room, Paper Garden Records is showing off its roster: Big Tree, Tall Ships, Pree and more.
Snowmine, Secret Mountains, Archie Powell & the Exports, and more play Spike Hill.
And Le Poisson Rouge is again throwing a CMJ kickoff party, somewhat in-between a day party and night showcase, with a bunch of New Zealand bands, including new Flying Nun signees Popstrangers (who have definitely studied their label's classic roster), returning band Street Chant (one of last year's highlights I thought), the shoegazy sounds of The Golden Awesome, Cairo Knife Fight and more. It's free with CMJ badges or if you RSVP to email@example.com (no +1s).
Flyers for some of the above shows are after the jump.