Entries tagged with: RX Bandits
by Andrew Sacher
RX Bandits went on what they referred to as their last-ever tour back in 2011, though we realized that wasn't totally true when earlier this year they were announced, along with Glassjaw, Andrew WK, and others for the mostly-mall-punk Skate and Surf Fest, which goes down in NJ this month (5/18-19).
Now the band have announced that this summer they'll be going on a full tour in celebration of the tenth anniversary of The Resignation, which they'll be performing in its entirety plus a second set of other songs from their career. By The Resignation, the band had abandoned most of their ska punk roots and they hadn't gone full-blown progressive rock yet (that would happen on 2006's ...And the Battle Begun), resulting in their most straight-ahead rock record. Songs like "Sell You Beautiful" and "Decrescendo" are still rippers, and though I lost some of my interest in the band later in their career, this tour is bringing back my excitement for them.
The tour kicks off in their home state of California in early July and makes it way over to NYC for a show on July 20 at Best Buy Theater. Tickets for that show go on sale Friday (5/10) at noon.
All tour dates are listed, along with some song streams from the album, below...
Tickets to see Demitri Martin at Wellmont Theatre go on sale at noon. Tickets to his shows at Gramercy Theatre, The Bell House, and the NYCB Theatre in Westbury, NY and Tarrytown Music Hall (Tarrytown, NY) are already on sale.
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals sold out their February 23 show at Port Chester's Capitol Theatre so they've added a second show the next night (2/24). Tickets go on sale at noon today.
The annual Lebowski Fest happens at Gramercy Theatre on April 19. Bring your bathrobe and get ready for some White Russians. Tickets go on sale Saturday (1/26) at 10 AM, a very un-Dude-like hour if you ask us.
Mic Check: Hip-Hop from North Africa and the Middle East goes down at BAM on March 7 in the Fisherman Space with sets from Amkoullel, Deeb, Brahim Fribgane, El Général, and Shadia Mansour. Tickets for that show are on sale now.
Animal Collective @ Celebrate Brooklyn 2009 (more by Ryan Muir)
today in NYC
* Monogold @ Pianos
* Slavic Soul Party @ Barbes
* Gregory Attonito @ Watermark (NJ)
* Tell All Your Friends @ Lolita Bar
* Peter Frampton @ Wellmont Theater (NJ)
* Old 97's, Robert Ellis @ Stone Pony (NJ)
* Slick Rick, DJ Brucie B @ Crotona Park
* Cibo Matto, Sxip Shirey @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Antibalas, The Stepkids @ Fort Greene Park
* RX Bandits, Maps & Atlases @ Irving Plaza
* Joe Morris, Agusti Fernandez @ The Stone
* Tom Vek, Secret Music @ Mercury Lounge
* Emily Wells, Live Footage @ Tammany Hall
* Bill Callahan, Ed Askew @ Bowery Ballroom
* Alex Barnett, Brett Naucke, Slava @ Zebulon
* YOB, Dark Castle, Batillus @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Jim Campilongo Electric Trio @ Cameo Gallery
* Cold Cave, Cult of Youth, Zambri @ Knitting Factory
* The Belle Brigade, Nightmare & The Cat @ Mercury Lounge
* Little Shalimar, Tit N Twat, secret guest @ Union Pool
* Jason Anthony Harris, Stark & Nimo, Hilly Eye @ Bruar Falls
* Starlight Girls, Anni Rossi, Wild Vibes, Hello Phones @ Glasslands
* Start Making Sense (Talking Heads tribute) @ Rocks Off Concert Cruise
* Animal Collective, Black Dice, Beta & Hatch @ Prospect Park Bandshell
* Bad Banana, Tacocat, Forever, Little Victory, Aye Nako @ Death By Audio
* Ingebrigt Haker-Flaten, Nate Wooley, Joe McPhee, Joe Morris @ The Stone
* Vernon Reid, The Barr Brothers (Hudson Square Music & Wine Festival) @ City Winery
* Whiskey Bravo, Noahs Arcade, Who Is James Kennedy?, Mira Stroika, Julian Fulton & The Zombei Gospel @ Bowery Electric
* Ghetto Metal feat. Dr Cornel West & The Corner West Theory, Bazaar Royale & Game Rebellion, Bilal, more @ SOB's
Today is a Manhattanhenge
Ska-turned-prog rockers RX Bandits are currently on their last ever tour. According to an interview with Playmaker, RX Bandits are not breaking up, they're just doing their last tour. RX Bandits hit the scene in the mid-to-late '90s playing pretty standard poppy ska punk. By 2003's The Resignation, the Bandits showed signs of experimenting outside of the realm of the genre and have since released 2 more progressive albums and have shared significant members with far-out experimental rockers The Sound of Animals Fighting. Catch them in NYC tonight (7/12) and Wednesday (7/13) at Irving Plaza with Maps & Atlases. Check out the latter's recent video for "Solid Ground" below. - Andrew Sacher
Old 97s and Robert Ellis play The Stone Pony in Asbury Park tonight (7/12) and then arrive in Brooklyn for shows at The Bell House on July 13 and 14. The tenth person to email BVCONTESTS@HOTMAIL.COM (subject: Old 97s) will win a pair of tickets to the Wednesday night show at The Bell House (7/13) and access to soundcheck. Include your first and last name in the email, and check our facebook for more chances to win the same prize (we're giving away 5 pairs total actually). Check out a video of the Old 97's performing "State of Texas" in Texas last month, below...
Wow...Public Image Ltd, The Specials, Grizzly Bear, Passion Pit, Echo and the Bunnymen, Grace Jones, Fever Ray, Devo, Hot Chip, Phoenix, Orbital, Spoon, Sly and the Family Stone, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Sunny Day Real Estate, Yo La Tengo, Mew, Camera Obscura, Gil Scott-Heron, The xx, John Waters, Dillinger Escape Plan, Deer Tick, Gary Numan... Full Coachella 2010 lineup below....
The Hip Hop Legends Series continues at BB King's on June 17th. Tickets are on sale for a show that will feature performances by Naughty By Nature, Nice & Smooth, Black Moon, Smif-N-Wesson, MC Lyte, Raekwon, Show Biz & AG, Lord Finesse, Das Efx and DJ's Funkmaster Flex & Chuck Chillout. Almost everyone on this bill also has shows coming up that are either free in a NYC park, part of the Brooklyn hip hop festival, or at Southpaw.
The Cult will perform "Love" in its entirety at Terminal 5 in NYC on September 11th. Tickets are on AmEx presale.
Vieux Farka Toure, son of Ali Farka, is playing Highline Ballroom on June 20th. Tickets are on sale.
The Roots keep adding shows at Highline Ballroom. Tickets are on sale for dates as far out as November.