Entries tagged with: Rebirth Brass Band
Arctic Monkeys @ Firefly Fest 2014 (more by Dana [distortion] Yavin)
The 2014 Voodoo Music Experience fest happens in New Orleans from October 31 - November 2 and the lineup includes Outkast, Foo Fighters, Arctic Monkeys, Action Bronson, Slayer, DFA 1979, The Melvins, Gogol Bordello, Fishbone, Peelander Z and more. Tickets are on sale now.
Full lineup is listed below....
The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival is returning this year for two weekends, April 25-27 and May 1-4, at the Fair Grounds Race Course. The lineup was just announced and it includes Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Arcade Fire, Vampire Weekend, Eric Clapton, Public Enemy, Big Freedia, Charles Bradley, Solange, Laura Mvula, Phish, Santana, Alabama Shakes, Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters, Bobby Womack, Allen Toussaint, Bombino and many more. Tickets for both weekends are on sale now. Full lineup below.
This announcement comes the same day as the lineup announcements for NYC's Governors Ball, Georgia's Counterpoint, Atlanta's Shaky Knees Fest, and Alabama's Hangout Fest (and not long after Firefly and Coachella announcements).
Full lineup below...
by Bill Pearis
After busting up the gang in 2000, snarky mid-'90s piano trio Ben Folds Five reunited this year with a new album on the way and a tour, which they're on now. The tour stops at Central Park Summerstage tonight (9/14), their first NYC show in 12 years. Tickets for tonight's show are still available. BFF will also return to the NYC area for a show at Port Chester's Capitol Theatre on October 9 with Kate Miller Heidke (tickets) and a couple days later they will play opening night of New York Comic Con on October 11. Tckets for that are still available too.
Ben Folds Five, best known for their ballad "Brick" back when people still held up lighters at shows (1997), have a new album, The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind, which is their first since 1999 and is out next week (9/18). The record was funded via Pledgemusic and is a little mellower than the bouncy, fuzzy pop of their Clinton-era singles like "Underground" and "The Battle of Who Could Care Less" but his sense of humor seems intact. You can listen to tracks at SPIN, TeamCoco and Rolling Stone.
Ben Folds Five are also playing Florida's Deluna Fest which happens September 21 - 23 in Pensacola Beach, FL and also features Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Bob Mould doing Copper Blue, Diplo, Florence & the Machine, Band of Horses, and many more. Tickets for Deluna Fest are still available and full line-up is below.
A list of all Ben Folds Five dates, a few classic clips and that Deluna Fest lineup are below...
Future Islands at Bowery Ballroom in 2011 (more by Sarahana)
today in NYC
* America @ BB King's
* Big Terrific @ Cameo
* Marika Hughes @ Barbes
* Cody Chesnutt @ SOB's
* Man Forever @ The Stone
* Arthur Doyle @ The Stone
* NRBQ @ Iridium Jazz Club
* Slaughterhouse @ BB King's
* Jonathan Batiste @ Joe's Pub
* Ace Frehley @ Best Buy Theater
* Bob Odenkirk & UCB Pals @ UCB
* Chez Deep @ Santos Party House
* Foxes, Seasick Mama @ Pianos
* The Mandingo Ambassadors @ Barbes
* Nellie McKay @ Madison Square Park
* New York Philharmonic @ Prospect Park
* Femminielli @ WIERD at Home Sweet Home
* Los Lobos, Livingston Leo @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Rakel, Pamela Rodriguez @ Knitting Factory
* Kayo Dot, Mossenek, MV Carbon @ Saint Vitus
* Def Leppard, Poison, Lita Ford @ Prudential Center
* Happy Ending Music & Reading Series @ Joe's Pub
* Guantanamo Baywatch, The Numerators, Big Tits @ Cake Shop
* Buddy Guy, Quinn Sullivan, John Mayall @ World Financial Center
* Cloud, Cloud, SeaPost, Ari Why (DJ set) @ Big Snow Buffalo Lodge
* The Click Clack Boom, Motive, Dead Stars, Indyns @ Public Assembly
* Wolf In a Spacesuit, BZARYN, Spooky Cheddar, Big Girl @ Glasslands
* Summerscreen w/ Colin L. Orchestra, Indian Jewelry @ McCarren Park
* Future Islands, Ed Schrader's Music Beat, Darlings @ Death By Audio
* Morning Musuko Brass Band, Benninghove's Hangmen @ The Paper Box
* Nice & Smooth, Ed O.G. and The Awesome 2 @ Summerstage - Crotona Park
* Missy Mazzoli & Victoire, Skeletons Big Band (free) @ Pace Schimmel Theatre
* U Say USA, The N'ere Dowells, I'm Turning Into, Swimming @ Shea Stadium
* The Byzan-Tones, Stathos Karavani Orchestra, Jeremiah Lockwood @ Zebulon
* Woodyfest w/ Steve Earle, John Hammond, Tim Robbins, Diana Jones @ City Winery
* Communion w/Lucius,Seasick Mama, Faces On Film,David Doobinin,Howth @ UnionHall
* Alexander Hacke, Danielle de Picciotto, Algis Kizys, Pharmakon, Chaos Majik, Pharmakon @ XPO 929
* Rebirth Brass Band w/ Brother Joscephus & The Love Revival Revolution Orchestra @ Beekman Beer Garden
* La Santa Cecilia, Monica Lionheart, Xenia Rubinos, Alex Anwandter, Martin Buscaglia, Gepe, ArtOfficial @ Mercury Lounge
* Mala Rodríguez, Ximena Sariñana, Profetas and The Sconek-T @ Central Park Summerstage
* Celestial Shore, Les Bon Hommes, Young Unknowns, Emerald Lakes @ Delinquency BLVD
Follow BrooklynVegan on Instagram.
Montreal's electronic artist Femminielli makes his U.S. debut at the WIERD party at Home Sweet Home. Italodisco fans will want to check out the video for his single "Atlandia" below.
Ace Frehley at Best Buy Theater... Def Leppard, Poison, and Lita Ford @ Prudential Center? What's a hair metal fan to do?
The Spy Music Festival continues with a performance by Man Forever at the Stone tonight.
The Todd P-curated music portion of Summerscreen starts tonight in McCarren Park.
Advance tickets to Future Islands at Death By Audio tonight are sold out.
Rebirth Brass Band with Brother Joscephus and The Love Revival Revolution Orchestra play Beekman Beer Garden by the South Street Seaport tonight, where the 4Knots Festival and afterparty happen on Saturday.
The All Stars Project "is a non-partisan, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to promoting human development through the use of an innovative performance-based model. The ASP creates outside of school, educational and performing arts activities for thousands of poor and minority young people. It sponsors community and experimental theatre, develops leadership training and pursues volunteer initiatives that build and strengthen communities."
OFF! Has a new video for "Borrow and Bomb" / "I Got News For You" featuring Kids in the Hall's Dave Foley and you can watch that below.
Bloc Party have a new video for "Octopus" from their forthcoming album Four and you can watch that below as well.
The 2012 music lineup was announced today for Bumbershoot: Seattle's Music & Arts Festival, which is produced by non-profit arts organization One Reel and takes place over Labor Day weekend, Sept. 1-3, at Seattle Center. The 42-year-old urban festival stands on top nationally in its variety as it showcases both familiar and up-and-coming regional and national talent in many musical genres, as well as in comedy, theater, literary and visual arts, dance, film and children's programming.The complete Bumbershoot 2012 lineup below...
Bumbershoot's Mainstage in KeyArena will feature two multi-act performances each day. Artists scheduled to perform there include groundbreaking alternative rock band Jane's Addiction, jazz legend Tony Bennett, electronic phenom Skrillex, a hip hop double bill with Mac Miller and Big Sean, M83, and AWOLNATION among others. Additional Mainstage acts will be announced in coming weeks.
Tickets are all-inclusive. All festival offerings, including Mainstage admission on a first-come, first-served basis (no separate pass required), and late-night electronic music curated by Decibel Festival for Bumbershoot After Dark, are included in the price of a single-day or 3-day ticket
Outside Lands 2009 (more by Chris Graham)
San Francisco's Outside Lands Festival 2010 takes place in Golden Gate Park from August 14th-15th. Headlining acts for the fest include Kings of Leon, Furthur featuring Phil Lesh and Bob Weir, The Strokes, My Morning Jacket, Phoenix, Social Distortion, Levon Helm and Al Green. Other acts include Nas & Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley, The Budos Band, Dawes, Gogol Bordello, Cat Power Janelle Monáe and Tokyo Police Club. The full lineup (which will be added to) is below.
Two-day passes go on sale Tuesday, June 2nd at 1pm EST. Single day tickets go on sale Sunday, June 6th.
A video trailer for this year's fest and the lineup is below...
photos by Lori Baily
Pitchfork: As the daughter of a diplomat, you must have traveled a lot. How does that experience inform your music?Rokia Traoré last visited NYC in February. She played Le Poisson Rouge, and we have some pictures from that show in this post.
Rokia Traoré: My father was not able to get all the vinyl he used to listen to with me. He couldn't travel as he did it because of his profession as a diplomatic career. The fact of playing an instrument and singing... that I can try to make my dream of singing and becoming a professional musician come true is linked probably to the fact that I traveled a lot, which gave me an open mind and an ability to push my limits. Probably, traveling so early changed my personality and gave me this ability today to do the music I do and to think in a certain way that everything can be possible. You just have to try before thinking that you can't.
Rokia will next be here in August. On August 7th she plays the Damrosch Park Bandshell as part of the Lincoln Center Out Of Doors festival, and one day earlier she'll play a free lunch-time show at Metrotech in Brooklyn. The 2009 "BAM Rhythm & Blues Festival" lineup also includes Ladysmith Black Mambazo, and "A New Orleans R&B legend, to be announced". Full Metrotech lineup, and more Rokia tour dates and pictures, below...