Entries tagged with: Retox
photos by Tim Griffin
Slayer/Glass Candy/Polyphonic Spree/Slayer surfer @ FFF Fest 2013
Closing Fun Fun Fun Fest, Slayer treated Austin to greatest hits and then some: "Raining Blood," "South of Heaven," "Dead Skin Mask," "Seasons in the Abyss," etc. They also dug out the aforementioned "Die by the Sword," a high point off their 1983 debut LP, Show No Mercy.The eighth Fun Fun Fun Fest happened last weekend (11/8 - 11/10) at Austin's Auditorium Shores, hosting three days of music and fun (fun fun), with such acts as MIA, Deerhunter, Slayer, Television, Thee Oh Sees, Kurt Vile, Cut Copy. Johnny Marr, The Walkmen, Jurassic 5, Killer Mike and loads more. Many of them played again as part of the FFF Nites shows, including shows presented by BrooklynVegan and Invisible Oranges.
After fooling no one with a false ending of "South of Heaven," the third backdrop of the night unfurled at the back of the stage: a parody of the Heineken logo reading "Hanneman" and bearing his life dates. The top read "Angel of Death." Reign in Blood's terrifying opening track - and closing number on Auditorium Shores - now serves as an epitaph for Slayer's fallen co-founder. - [Austin Chronicle]
We were there in the thick of it and, as mentioned above, you can check out pics from Day 1 HERE and HERE, pics from Day 2 pics HERE and HERE; and pics from Day 3 are HERE and HERE. See you again in 2014 Austin.
Not long after The Locust's first U.S. show in 5 years was announced via the Austin Fun Fun Fun Fest lineup, LA's FYF Fest announced that the Locus would return for their U.S. fest even sooner, a late FYF Fest lineup addition. At the moment I think those are the only two dates for the spazzy masked band who reunited for a Yeah Yeah Yeahs curated ATP in the UK in May, but more can't be far behind.
FYF Fest also just added a whole bunch of comedians to the lineup, which you can see in the updated poster above, and in list form below...
by Andrew Sacher
Circle Takes the Square (photo by Danin Drahos)
As discussed, Gainesville's The Fest is returning this year from October 31 to November 3, and they've just expanded their lineup to include more artists. Additions includes post-hardcore/screamo giants Circle Takes The Square, who have been reunited for a bit but still only rarely play US shows; Geoff Rickly's United Nations, who are also back, but have not been as active as Geoff's solo project; punk vets ALL; Titus Andronicus (who have multiple NYC-area appearances coming up); Fake Problems and more.
Those recent additions join previously announced names like Torche, White Lung, Bouncing Souls, Ceremony, Braid, Paint It Black, Samiam, Knapsack (reunion), The Draft (reunion), The Menzingers, The Lawrence Arms, Hop Along, Code Orange Kids, Creative Adult, Pity Sex, Mean Jeans, Retox, Lemuria, Greys, Tenement, Tim Barry, Toys That Kill, The Night Marchers and more. Tickets for The Fest are on sale now.
Circle Takes The Square returned in December, 2012 with Decompositions Volume Number One, their first album of new material since reuniting and second overall. It's not the instant masterpiece that their 2004 debut, As the Roots Undo, is, but it's still damn good. Download it in its entirety at bandcamp (name your price) or stream it in its entirety, along with the updated The Fest lineup, below.
Fun Fun Fun Fest 2012 (more by Keith Marlowe)
As discussed, Fun Fun Fun Fest is returning to Austin's Auditorium Shores from November 8-10, and now the full lineup was finally announced. It includes Television, Slayer (again!), Quicksand, Descendents, The Dismemberment Plan, Body Count, Jurassic 5, MIA, MGMT, Death Grips, Kurt Vile, Cloud Nothings, Snoop Dogg/Lion, The Locust, Subhumans (performing Cradle to the Grave), The Men, Title Fight, White Lung, Retox, Chromatics, XXYYXX, Mykki Blanco, Cut Copy, Washed Out, Merchandise, Lemuria, and many more.
Tickets for the festival go on sale today (7/10) at 10 AM CST.
Full lineup and flyer below...
Total Control @ FFF Fest 2011 (more by Fred Pessaro)
Chain & the Gang @ Secret Project Robot 2011 (more by Harriet Roberts)
today in NYC
* Anciients, Family @ Saint Vitus
* Sua, Advaeta @ Cameo Gallery
* Will McEvoy's Mutsam @ Barbes
* Joshua Radin @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Amaan & Ayaan Ali Khan @ Joe's Pub
* The Mandingo Ambassadors @ Barbes
* The Westerlies Play Horvitz @ The Stone
* Lydia Ainsworth, Solar Year @ Cake Shop
* Brother Tiger, pacificUV @ The Rock Shop
* Big Terrific Comedy Show @ Cameo Gallery
* So So Glos, Pedico @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Stalley, Riff Raff, Smoke DZA, DJ Getlive @ Coco 66
* Korn, Device, Love and Death @ The Wellmont Theatre
* Rotten Sound, Hellshock, Kromosom, Nomad @ Acheron
* yMusic, Amanda Holley, Dan Mills @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Of Montreal, The Wild Moccasins @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Royal Bangs, We Are The Wilderness, Blue & Red @ Glasslands
* Grand Resort, BOYTOY, Orca Orca, HOUNDSds @ Shea Stadium
* Eat Skull, PC Worship, Vaz, Call Of The Wild, LODRO @ 285 Kent
* Total Control, Pop. 1280. Night Sins, Sleepies @ Mercury Lounge
* Lindsey Luff, Mariko, Natural Stranger, DJ Nick Louis @ Spike Hill
* Big Ups, Low Fat Getting High, Radical Dads, Miniboone @ Big Snow
* The Johns, Turner Cody, Prewar Yardsale, Little Cobweb @ Muchmore's
* Phone Home, Slander, The Can't Tells, Relations, Josh Lewin @ Pianos
* Wayne Horvitz and the Royal Room Collective Music Ensemble @ The Stone
* Andre Nickatina, Roach Gigz, Mumbls, DJ Thanksgiving Brown @ Santos Party House
* Morrissey Birthday Celebrations w/ The Sons & Heirs, DJ Matt Heart Spade @ The Bell House
* The Stepkids, King Holliday, Every Flavor Weather Machine, Massively Epic, AK 47 @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Mick Barr, Deblase, Kwartowitz Trio, Pet Bottle Ningen, Detrop, Brown Wing Overdrive @ Silent Barn
* Dizzy Wright, Nitty Scott, Tijon, Rayshawn Bedell, Andy Pop, Baghdad Flow @ Marlin Room at Webster Hall
* NOTHING CHANGES w/ Craow, Outmode, Haves & Thirds @ Home Sweet Home
* Chain and the Gang, Arrington de Dionyso's Malaikat dan Singa, Calvin Johnson, Erin Earthling @ Ran Tea House
* Mannie Fresh, Boi-1da, Young Chop. J.U.S.T.I.C.E League, Bangladesh, DJ Mustard, Drumma Boy @ Knitting Factory
* Stones Fest w/ Norah Jones, Patrick Carney (of The Black Keys), Jason Isbell, Butch Walker & Black Widows, Delta Spirit, Cory Chisel, Johnny T, Adam Green @ Bowery Ballroom
Today is Morrissey's birthday and the former Smiths singer turns 54. NYC can celebrate tonight at The Bell House who has skilled tribute band The Sons & Heirs playing. Happy Birthday, Moz! Stream a thematically appropriate Smiths song below.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Goodie Mob released a new song, "Special Education," which features fellow Dungeon Family member Janelle Monae. Check it out below. Goodie Mob (and Cee-Lo solo) will be playing Barclays Center this month and they have a new album on the way.
by Andrew Sacher
Retox, the new project of The Locust's Justin Pearson, are set to release their second album, YPLL, on May 7 via their new home, Epitaph. The two singles the band have revealed from the new album so far, "Mature Science" and "Congratulations, You Are Good Enough," are dirty, in-your-face punk rock with no shame, no holding back, and a bit of an art rock mentality. They're more accessible than their grindcore-inspired debut but not because they've sacrificed any of the raw power. Watch the videos for both of those tracks below.
Retox will also be supporting the new album with a tour this May. That tour hits NYC for shows on May 16 at The Acheron (57 Waterbury St. in Brooklyn) and May 17 at Pianos with Tinsel Teeth. Tickets for the Acheron show and the Pianos show are on sale now.
All dates are listed, along with those videos, below...
Devo in Austin in 2012 (more by Tim Griffin)
Punk Rock Bowling is returning to downtown Las Vegas for its 15th year from May 25 - 27 with a lineup of Devo, FLAG (one of two Black Flag reunions taking place this year), Bad Religion (who are touring soon), The Damned, Turbonegro, DRI, Bouncing Souls, The Casualties, Subhumans, Swingin' Utters, US Bombs, The Weirdos, and more. Three-day passes are on sale now and single day tickets go on sale Monday, February 11.
Flyer and full lineup below...
Frightened Rabbit @ T5, Nov. 2010 (more by Lionel Bergeron)
SXSW has just announced another round of bands for the 2013 edition of the annual music festival that will happen March 12 - 17. This brings the total current number of acts to around 1300. Someome of the highlights include Vampire Weekend, Frightened Rabbit, The Thermals, Black Lips, Camera Obscura, Merchandise, Bleached, Mr. Muthafuckin' eXquire, Eagles of Death Metal, Parenthetical Girls, Indians, Night Beds, IO Echo, KEN Mode, Prince Paul, Pure Bathing Culture, Sepalcure, UK motorik post-punks TOY, Finnish instrumentalists K-X-P, Toronto's Moon King, UK indie rockers Splashh (not Brooklyn Splash with one "h") and loads more. Head to BV Austin for the whole Round 3 list.
OFF! at The Bell House
The Power of The Riff is entering its third year on the West Coast and much like the last two years, the festival will invade Los Angeles during a weekend in middle August. Encompassing 16 bands over two stages at The Echo and Echoplex on August 11th, look for appearances from OFF!, Dr.Know, Repulsion, Noothgrush, Xibalba, Eagle Twin, Power Trip, Ancestors, Alpha & Omega, Gaza, DNF, Retox, The Love Below (who play NYC next week), Avon Ladies, Cop and Hordes. Tickets go on sale tomorrow (6/9) at noon for those East Coasters looking to make the trek.
Off! played a surprise show at Bell House last week with The Bronx after both played local shows in the area at Bowery Ballroom and as part of a Rocks Off Concert Cruise respectively. Pictures from that Bell House appearance are below.