Entries tagged with: SNL
Lana Del Rey @ Bowery Ballroom (more by Chris La Putt)
In case you had any doubt that Lana Del Ray is on her way to super-stardom, she "will make her U.S. TV debut on Saturday Night Live January 14 in advance of her new album 'Born To Die' (January 31 / Interscope)," Pitchfork says "Video Games" is the 19th best song of 2011, and her new video for "Born To Die" already has 2.5 million views on YouTube (and that's not even where it first showed up). You can up its view count below...
Robyn @ Way Out West in Sweden
Robyn was one of the highlights of the Way Out West Festival in Gothenburg, Sweden over the summer. I took a whole bunch of pictures of her performance in her home country, but never got to post them, so here they are along with videos of her performance on Saturday Night Live over the weekend (Katy Perry who she opened some shows for in the past was the host). Check them out below...
photo via Southern Comfort's Facebook page...
As previously mentioned, tonight's Black Keys show at Webster Hall is sponsored by Southern Comfort and they'll be giving away tickets at their Facebook page at 9:45am today (12/5). UPDATE, this is what it says:
HEY FACEBOOK FRIENDS: Southern Comfort is giving away 400 tickets to The Black Keys Release Show happening TONIGHT in NYC. Our logos and 400 free tickets are at 6 Delancey Street RIGHT NOW for anyone 21 or over. So go there. Get a free ticket. It's on us. But you have to promise to look at our logo at least once. Deal? Bring Photo ID!UPDATE 2: 6 Delancey St happens to be Bowery Balroom!
More tour dates HERE.
The band played Saturday Night Live on Saturday night. Videos below...
The Black Keys are releasing their new album El Camino via Nonesuch on 12/5 and will play a NYC show at a TBA venue on that same day. Stay tuned for more details and for the chance to win a pair of guaranteed entry tickets to the show (it might be free) right here on BrooklynVegan.
Meanwhile you can catch The Black Keys on Saturday Night Live this weekend (12/3) along with host Steve Buscemi, and you can stream five new songs at the band's site. They're also hitting Colbert (12/6) and Letterman (12/7) while in town.
YouTube's KidATiki wrote on Friday:
After catching the Descendents at Roseland on Friday (9/23), I walked a couple blocks to NBC Studio to see if there were any people waiting to get stand-by tickets (which doesn't guarantee entry) for tomorrow's SNL season premier with Alex Baldwin/Radiohead......first couple people started camping on Thursday. Some dedication for these hardcore fans!And you thought getting tickets from your desk at 10am today was hard. Check out the video of the campers below...
Like he did at Glastonbury and in the Basement, and like he probably will twice this week at Roseland Ballroom in NYC (and on Colbert), drummer Clive Deamer joined Radiohead during their performance on Saturday Night Live last night (9/24). Said Radiohead drummer Phil Selway back in June, "no, you're not seeing double. The doppelganger drummers are myself and Clive Deamer. Clive has long been one of my favourite drummers and so I was really excited when he agreed to perform with us. Hope you like what we've all done." Clive's credits include recording with Portishead and Roni Size, and touring with Robert Plant. Check out the two SNL videos, and some clearer screencaps, below...
"Alec Baldwin will be in some rockin' good company when he hosts Saturday Night Live for a record-breaking 16th time on Sept. 24. Grammy-winners Radiohead, who last stopped by Studio 8H in 2000 with host Kate Hudson, will help Baldwin kick off the 37th season of SNL as musical guests. Radiohead's latest record, The King of Limbs, was released back in February." [EW]Radiohead releases TKOL RMX 1234567, a double CD of all the commisioned remixes for The King of Limbs via tbd Records on October 11. Full tracklist below.
The remixes all come from the series of twelve-inch singles the band has been releasing since July. The next one, pictured above, is out August 15th.
More importantly.... Radiohead in NYC on Sept 24? A US release on Oct 11? Let's hope that means live shows too!
The Strokes played SNL. Videos below...
That's the cover art for the new Strokes record, Angles, which is being released on March 22nd via RCA records in the US, and March 21st via Rough Trade Records in the UK. The first single, "Under Cover of Darkness," which you can easily find for free if you don't have it already, is now on sale at iTunes.
On March 5th the Strokes are playing Saturday Night Live. The band is also rumored to be playing SXSW in mid-March (not long after they hit Vegas), and they are definitely playing Madison Square Garden in NYC on April 1st, and Coachella that same month, and then the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. In June they'll hit Bonnaroo.
Tickets for the MSG show go on AmEx presale via Ticketmaster on 2/18 at 9am. After fees they will set you back $68.25 each. As mentioned in the initial announcement, they go "on sale to public" on February 25th. Whether there are any other fan presales remains to be seen.
No official announcement yet on when the LCD Soundsystem Terminal 5 shows are going on sale, though they did mention it would be this week and Friday seems to make sense, but stay tuned. Bonnaroo goes on sale Saturday.
UPDATE: at around 12:30pm. the Strokes' manager tweeted a picture of the Loew's Theater in Jersey City where the band apparently is right now filming the video for "Under Cover of Darkness."
The Strokes are the cover of a new issue of NME. Check that out below...
Tonight, Friday, 1/28, Iron & Wine are playing a free show at the Apple Store in SoHo. On Monday (January 31 at 7pm), Carrie Brownstein & Fred Armisen will discuss their IFC TV show Portlandia, live, at the same location. Meanwhile you can catch Portlandia three times today on IFC, including at 10:30pm.
Carrie Brownstein's band Wild Flag is playing two now-sold-out shows in Brooklyn in March (and other dates). Catch Fred Armisen on SNL this Saturday, 1/29, with musical guest Nicki Minaj (who recently announced a tour with Lil Wayne who was on SNL not that long ago)
That picture above shows Portland band the Thermals (who play a show in Portland tonight) arriving at the Portlandia premiere party in NYC last week. The band performed at the event, though unlike some members of the Decemberists, I'm not sure if the Thermals actually get any screen time in one of the upcoming shows. Carrie Brownstein however, as you might remember, gets some screen time in the recent Thermals video for "I Don't Believe You" which is the same song the Thermals will be performing on February 1st on 'Lopez Tonight'. The song comes from the band's 5th LP Personal Life, as does the song "Never Listen to Me" which now also has a video, which you can watch with other stuff, below...
"People on the subway are staring at my scabs"
Fred Armisen, Kristen Wiig, and Jim Carrey performed as "A Taste of New York" on Saturday Night Live this past weekend (on 1/8). A Taste of New York is an "authentic" band from "an area between Avenue B & Avenue C" in New York City. And though Holy Sons are from the West Coast, we have learned that the sketch/song was inspired by new Holy Sons song "A Chapter Must Be Closed" from the recent Survivalist Tales. Fred Armisen watched the video for the song and the rest is history. Compare/contrast the videos below.
Musical duo The Black Keys also played Saturday Night Live on 1/8, a few days before they appeared on the Colbert Report with Ezra. Video of both songs they played are below too.
Musical duo Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein (ex Sleater-Kinney, current Wild Flag) go way back. Their Thunderant series of videos have been making the rounds online for years, and so it's pretty awesome that they've landed a "6-part IFC Original short-based comedy series" called Portlandia which premieres on Friday, January 21, 2011 at 10:30 PM ET/PT on IFC. "Each episode's character-based shorts draw viewers into "Portlandia," the creators' dreamy and absurd rendering of Portland, Oregon."
An assortment of guest stars inhabit PORTLANDIA, including Kyle MacLachlan (Twin Peaks, Sex & The City), Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation), Selma Blair (Legally Blonde, Hellboy), Heather Graham (The Hangover), Edie McClurg (Ferris Bueller's Day Off), Kumail Nanjiani (Michael & Michael Have Issues), Jason Sudeikis (SNL, The Cleveland Show), and Gus Van Sant (Milk). Singer/songwriter Aimee Mann also guest stars, alongside James Mercer (The Shins), and local Portland musicians Jenny Conlee and Colin Meloy (The Decemberists) and Corin Tucker (Sleater-Kinney).Wild Flag is touring in March. Some very funny "Portlandia" videos, and everything else mentioned above, below...
"What do you get when you put The Dude and Slim Shady in the same room?Lil Wayne is also playing somewhere with Nicki Minaj "outdoors in New York City" today, 12/16, at 6:30pm for "500 fans to be a part of a Special NBC New Year's Eve taping." (thx John).
We'll find out Saturday night when Jeff Bridges and rapper Eminem serve as host and musical guest, respectively, on this week's Saturday Night Live.
Bridges is promoting his latest movie, 'Tron: Legacy' while Eminem will perform songs from his newest album, 'Recovery.'...Eminem is slated to perform 'No Love' along with rapper Lil Wayne." [Mass Live]
Tonight (at midnight aka Friday) is also the night that the Daft Punk-scored Tron: Legacy opens in theaters.
Jeff Bridges and Fred Armisen SNL promo below...
"arcade fire. scarlett johansson. snl. win." - Paul
"Sometimes SNL shows me great new bands that I cant believe I haven't heard of... Arcade fire is not one of them #bandsthatsuck" - dj tillery
"I think I just became a fan of Arcade Fire." - Gregory
"I'm so confused by Arcade Fire. #SNL" - Vince Mahtani
"nick zinner from the yeah yeah yeahs is adding synth
for arcade fire on snl right now." - Christian Davis
"Could anything get more pretentious than Arcade Fire on SNL tonight? hitler youth haircuts, tron blazers and interpretive dances? Beat it."
- keith buckley of Epitaph-signed band Everytime I Die
"Arcade Fire (plus owen pallett) on SNL ...amazing" - Julie Foster
"Never heard Arcade Fire before.
Hope to never hear them again. Ugh." - Karen Sugarpants
"Regine and Win are so crazy/awesome/cute/spectacular.
Arcade Fire, I love you." - Andrew R
"whoa, arcade fire's snl performance was worse than ashlee simpson's. and the singer's hair was even worse than the performance." lisa cunningham
"Just watched The Arcade Fire on SNL.
Man, I'd love to see that band live." - Nicole Harpel
"Arcade fire is super weird." - Sarah Evans
"Could arcade fire be the worst band to ever grace snl?
Im beginning to think so." - Lauren Burdick
this was someone's ticket to see Arcade Fire on SNL (trishavirga)
Arcade Fire made their second appearance on Saturday Night Live last night (11/13/10). Videos from the show, and more below...
Florence on Halloween in Boston (Dianna Quagenti)
After playing the Voodoo Music Festival in New Orleans over the weekend, Florence & the Machine kicked off a proper, but short, tour at House of Blues in Boston on Halloween. As you can see in the above picture, and in the video below, Florence and her band did not wimp out on celebrating the holiday.
Last night (11/1), that tour continued into NYC where Florence and the Machine played their first of two sold out shows at the massive Terminal 5. Both shows (last night and tonight) have The Smith Westerns and Hanni El Khatib opening.
Couldn't score or afford a ticket? You still have one more chance to see the UK band when they play a free show at the SoHo Apple Store this afternoon:
Live from SoHo: Florence + The MachineFlorence's U.S. tour ends November 8th in LA, but maybe she'll stick around for a little bit longer so she doesn't have to fly back and forth for their November 20th appearance on Saturday Night Live. All dates, that Halloween video, a video from Terminal 5, and a Hanni El Khatib video, below...
Florence + The Machine embody creative courage. Pick up a wristband at the Apple Store to guarantee admission to tonight's live performance. November 2, 4:00 p.m.
DOWNLOAD: Kristen Wiig - Champion (MP3)
I don't think Betty has a part in the movie
AOL is streaming the entire SNL skit-inspired MacGruber movie soundtrack, which like the new Twilight movie, contains a Black Keys song. Unlike Twilight, MacGruber has three songs by SNL & MacGruber actress and comedian Kristen Wiig (so MacGruber wins). Download one of them for free above.
Betty White killed it all-episode long Saturday night, with one major highlight of course being the death metal tribute to the Golden Girls. Check it out, if you haven't already, below...
MGMT @ Coachella (sta.helena)
MGMT, who recently performed at Coachella, are playing Fordham's Spring Weekend concert this Saturday, May 1st (12:30pm; 441 East Fordham Rd, Bronx) along with Average Girl and Penrose. The show is closed to non-students, but you can have a friend there (or a Craigslist creep) sign you in as a guest.
MGMT were on Saturday Night Live on April 24th. Videos from that and their full tour dates are below...
Morning Benders @ Emo's in Austin (more by Tim Griffin)
tonight in NYC
* Real Estate @ PS1
* Narrows @ Cake Shop
* Earth Day @ Grand Central
* Mike Doughty @ (le) Poisson Rouge
* Kings Go Forth @ Southpaw
* Jason Collett, Zeus, Bahamas @ Union Hall
* Karl Denson's Tiny Universe @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Frances, Rafter, Necking (late) @ Glasslands
* Shark?, This Is Versailles (BBQ) @ Party Expo
* Camila Meza, Meta and the Cornerstones @ Zebulon
* Dam-Funk on a Rocks Off Concert Cruise
* International Noise Conference 0'10 @ Silent Barn
* Titus Andronicus, Harlem, Spider Bags @ Maxwell's
* Elvis Perkins in Dearland, Dough Rollers @ The Bell House
* Adam Green, Savoir Adore, The Dead Trees @ Bowery Ballroom
* Weird Owl, Imaginary Weapons, Von Haze (early) @ Glasslands
* Of Montreal, Wiz Khalifa, Ghostface Killah @ Columbia University
* Envy On The Coast, The Fall of Troy, Twin Atlantic @ Irving Plaza
* Gordon Voidwell, Boy Crisis, Das Racist, Iron Solomon @ 92YTribeca
* Tobacco, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Blast Off! @ Knitting Factory Brooklyn
* The Morning Benders, Holiday Shores, The Luyas @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* HEALTH, Cold Cave, North Highlands, Oberhofer, Andrew W.K. (DJ) @ Solar One
* Holiday Shores, Micachu & the Shapes, Beach Fossils, Moonmen on the Moon Man @ Bruar Falls
* Screaming Females, The Measure, Barrakuda McMurder, Byrds of Paradise, Modern Hut @ Mercury Lounge
* Tahiti Boy and The Palmtree Family, Single Parents, Other Crimes, Drunk Tigers, Blues in Space @ Pianos
Bruar Falls' one year anniversary is tonight.
BrooklynVegan presents Morning Benders, Holiday Shores & The Luyas at Music Hall of Williamsburg.
BrooklynVegan presents Narrows, I Hate Our Freedom and Psychic Limb at Cake Shop.
Silversun Pickups/Against Me! Williamsburg Waterfront tickets are on sale at noon.
MGMT is on Saturday Night Live tonight.
There's a tribute to Alex Chilton at the Living Room on Sunday night.
Devo performed on Jimmy Fallon this past week. Videos below...
The Megaphonic Thrift @ by:Larm 2010 (more)
tonight in NYC
* Louis CK @ Caroline's
* ACME @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Kronos Quartet @ Zankel Hall
* Al Green @ the Wellmont Theatre
* John Zorn Improv Night @ The Stone
* Stupid Party, Gourmet Scum @ Don Pedro
* WFMU's Hoof & Mouth Sinfonia @ Maxwell's
* Todd, Sewerkraut, Drunkdriver @ (late) Cake Shop
* Marina and The Diamonds, Samuel @ The Bell House
* Lord Jeff, Truman Peyote, Julie Bryne @ Silent Barn
* Talib Kweli (DJ), DJ Jujitsu, DJ Eque @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Rufus Wainwright: Blackoutsabbath @ Park Avenue Armory
* Red Hook Ramblers, The Hot Johnsons @ Knitting Factory
* Standard Fare, Little Big, Jack Skuller @ Death By Audio
* Darren Hanlon, A Classic Education, Electricians @ Bruar Falls
* David Daniell & Douglas Mccombs Duo, Alan Licht & Loren Connors @ Union Pool
* Carolina Chocolate Drops, Naomi Shelton & The Gospel Queens @ Bowery Ballroom
* Casiokids, The Good The Bad, Spleen United, The Megaphonic Thrift @ Littlefield (starts 1pm)
* Sissy Spacek, Gerritt Witmer and Paul Knowles, Sean Meehan, Dim Diamond @ (early) Cake Shop
* Field Mouse, Hailey Wojcik & Her Imaginary Friends, Gregory & The Hawk, Julie Peel @ Glasslands
pre-SXSW Scandanavian week continues at Littlefield this AFTERNOON (which is even earlier-feeling than normal thanks to us losing an hour last night. Did you set back your clocks yet?).
Oh, also MGMT is apparently playing Mercury Lounge tonight (as The Smirking Worm).
"The most-talked about aspect of Lady Gaga's Beyonce co-starring, Jonas Akerlund-directed music video for "Telephone," which premiered Thursday night, was not the singer's flagrant partial nudity, girl-on-girl kissing or mass-murder sequence in a diner featuring Tyrese Gibson. It was the product placement. At least nine different brands make appearances in the nine-minute music video, from Gaga's own Heartbeats headphones to a "Beats Limited Edition" laptop, from HP Envy to "telephone" partner Virgin Mobile, and from Miracle Whip and Wonder Bread to Diet Coke. [Ad Age]"
The Lonely Island is Andy Samberg, Akiva Schaffer & Jorma Taccone. Last night on SNL they debuted the video for "Boombox" featuring Julian Casablancas. Watch it below...
a letter posted on Jonah's website...
Right after Jennifer Lopez played on SNL a little while ago, I [Jonah Matranga] got a bunch of messages from people saying she'd used the heart/question mark image that I've been using for many years. Lots of you said I should sue to stop ol' J-Lo from using it further or whatever. I thought it was kind of a bummer that she used it, but pretty funny overall. Mostly, I didn't think that I would have the money or time to deal with whatever high-powered management and lawyers J-Lo has, so I kinda wrote it off as one of those weird things that happens.
Then, a friend who knows about Intellectual Property law got in touch and said I actually do have a valid case. It turns out her new album will be called 'Love?', so it seems like the image might be used by her a whole lot more. When I think about it, I would rather that she didn't use this image that I've come to enjoy so much. I have it on so many albums, posters, shirts. I draw it when I sign stuff for people, I have a tattoo of it, many of you do as well. I'm not sure what the image means to you, but it has come to mean many things to me over the years. One of those things is simply, 'I love ideas'. Anyway, I asked some lawyer friends about what I could do to stop her. I'm putting some stuff together (album covers, etc) to show that I'm a legitimate artist whose art, image and community she'd be messing with.
Here's where you come in: I've also been told that you can help out by sending photos of ways you've used the image in your life, after you found it through my music. So, if you have a tattoo of it, or you've made drawings of it, or you have anything at all that shows the many ways the little heartquestion has gotten out there, I'd love to see it, and so would the lawyers. You can post your pics (or links to them) here, or send them via any number of internetty ways, or just mail 'em to me.
I have no idea what will happen from all this, but it seems as good an excuse as any to gather this stuff together and remember the power and fun of making stuff and putting it out into the world.
Please pass this on to anyone who might be interested.
an old photo of Voivod
Titus Andronicus @ Mercury Lounge on New Years Eve (more by Zach Stern)
tonight in NYC
* Soulive @ Brooklyn Bowl
* The Silent League @ Sycamore
* Marky Ramone (DJ) @ The Frying Pan
* Sondre Lerche @ (early) Maxwell's
* Naam, Liturgy, Tournament @ Union Pool
* Jay-Z, Young Jeezy, Trey Songz @ Izod Center
* Amniotic, Twin Sister, Jersey Band @ Coco 66
* Ben Sollee & Daniel Martin Moore @ Joe's Pub
* Pierced Arrows, Lullabye Arkestra @ (late) Maxwell's
* The Death Set, The So So Glos, Sweet Bulbs @ Bruar Falls
* Title Tracks, Pretty & Nice, Gary B & Notions @ Union Hall
* Kreator, Voivod, Nachtmystium @ Nokia Theatre Times Square
* Backslider, Chainsaw To The Face, The Communion @ ABC No Rio
* Vinicio Capossela, Marc Ribot, Frank London @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Tall Firs, Arms, We Are Country Mice, Dragon Turtle @ Glasslands
* Backslider, Chainsaw To The Face, Unmen, Bloodkitt @ Rock Star Bar
* High Teen Boogie, Little Victory, Edie Sedgwick @ (late) Cake Shop
* RJD2, Break Science, Happy Chichester @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Evan Dando, The Candles, Blair 9:30, The Naked Hearts @ Mercury Lounge
* Blacklisted, Gods & Queens, Tiger Flowers, Chambers @ (early) Cake Shop
* Pet Ghost Project, Akudama, Monogold, Papa, Teenage Prayers @ Spike Hill
* Titus Andronicus, Parts and Labor, Babies, Cloud Nothings @ Bowery Ballroom
* Alex Bleeker & The Freaks, Family Portrait, guest @ 59 Jefferson St., #402
* Free Kisses, Shark?, Byrds of Paradise, Philip Seymour Hoffman @ Shea Stadium
* Golden Triangle, Sandwitches, Coasting, Girls at Dawn @ Monster Island Basement
* Robbers on High Street, Ravens & Chimes, Queen Killing Kings @ Bell House
* Math the Band, Peelander Z, Uncle Monsterface, Eskalators, Lima @ Death By Audio
* Nude Beach, Total Slacker, Girls At Dawn, Anasazis,Mystic Underground @DonPedro
* Jason Blum, The Scandinavian, Half-Breeds, I'm Turning Into @ Pete's Candy Store
* Shara Worden & yMusic, yMusic, Sarah Small, Black Sea Hotel (Shara Worden-curated 2-night fest) @ 92YTribeca
Vampire Weekend and Zach Galifianakis are on SNL tonight.
JBM is no longer opening for Sondre Lerche at Maxwell's tonight. He is instead on tour with Rogue Wave.
Voivod play Nokia Theatre with Kreator tonight. Catch them in Austin at the free BV/M For Montreal party on 3/20.
The Girls at Dawn pull double duty tonight. They share the bill with The Sandwitches and Golden Triangle at Monster Island, and they play with Nude Beach, Total Slacker and others at Don Pedro.
The Blacklisted / Tiger Flowers / Chambers show kicks off at Cake Shop at 5pm. Flyer below...
by Klaus Kinski
As we pointed out, Them Crooked Vultures were the musical guest on SNL last Saturday (two nights before they played Roseland Ballroom as part of a short tour). What we haven't mentioned is the skit that Vultures drummer Dave Grohl also participated in during the course of the Superbowl-eve show. I'm talking about the Fred Armisen-penned ode to hardcore set at a wedding with Bill Hader and Ashton Kutcher rounding out a four piece Fred Armisen-as-dad-of-the-bride band that proceeded to destroy everything in sight.
What people may not have noticed at the time was how elaborate an homage to 80s hardcore the skit was. Not only did the sketch hilariously caricature and encapsulate the anti-authoritarian, anti-meathead-letterman mentality the bands of that era railed against, but the wedding party's name "Cadena - Norton" is, presumably, a shout out to Black Flag's Dez Cadena and Husker Du's Greg Norton. The band was named Crisis of Conformity (Earth Crisis, Corrosion of Conformity). They broke up in 1983 (just like Minor Threat). Its members are also a serious tip of the hat to that 80s era scene. The skit's line-up featured Steve (Steve Hansgen of Minor Threat), Greg (Greg Ginn of Black Flag) (or maybe Greg Norton) (or was it Greg Hetson of the Circle Jerks), Lyle (Lyle Preslar of Minor Threat, Samhain), and Ian (Ian MacKaye of Minor Threat, Fugazi, Egg Hunt). Such a dense homage in such a short set could only have spawned from the mind of Fred Armisen (whose own credits also include Trenchmouth). However, theatrically, the skit wasn't without it's minor faults. As Tom Scharpling succinctly pointed out in a recent tweet, "Remember when hardcore guitarists acted like they were in Warrant? Aston Koocher does." Check out the video with the full lyrics below...
Yeasayer @ Hudson River Park in 2009 (more by Bao Nguyen)
tonight in NYC
* Whiplash @ UCB Theatre
* Chicha Libre @ Barbes
* Them Crooked Vultures @ Roseland Ballroom
* Yeasayer, Light Asylum, Bobo @ Bowery Ballroom
* Les Paul Guitar Tribute w/ Vernon Reid @ Iridium
* Reverend Vince Anderson & His Love Choir @ Union Pool
* Dinosaur Bones, My Pet Dragon, Otterclean @ The Cameo Gallery
* Horse's Mouth, Your Nature, Blast Off, The Wailing Wall @ Death By Audio
* Knight School, Diehard, Family Portrait, Golden City @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Unsound Festival: Anticipate Showcase w/ Sawako, Ezekiel Honig, Alexander Kaline @ Littlefield
* Destry, Mean Creek, The Narrative, Borrowed Eyes & The Blood Red Road @ Knitting Factory Brooklyn
The Unsound Festival continues.
Them Crooked Vultures play a show at Roseland Ballroom tonight. On Saturday they appeared on Saturday Night Live. Videos from that show below...
The Who played the Superbowl Halftime show on Sunday. Videos from that below...
Dap King @ Brooklyn Bowl (more by Kyle Dean Reinford)
Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings will be returning to NY's historic Apollo Theater on Friday, April 30th. Tickets just went on Fan Club presale (password = SHARON). Then, Apollo Theater Foundation & AEG/Ticketmaster presales start on Wednesday at 10am, before they go on general sale this Friday, February 5th at 10am.
Sharon Jones & band will also be at Wanee Fest in Florida this April.
Their new album I Learned the Hard Way comes out April 6th on Daptone.
Extra Life @ Knitting Factory in Dec (more by Lori Baily)
tonight in NYC
* Midnite @ SOB's
* comedy @ Union Hall
* Toshi Reagon @ Joe's Pub
* PRISM Quartet @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Darlings, Rifle Recoil @ Bruar Falls
* Soft Circle, Free Blood, Hunters, DJ Spun @ Glasslands
* Sam Mickens/Mike Pride Duo, Kush, Extra Life @ Zebulon
* Mama Bear, Pearl & The Beard, Denver Hughes, Sweater @ The Cameo
* Haiti Benefit w/ Runny, The Pioneers of Seduction, Glass Pipe, DJ Half Chemical @ Trash Bar
* Zona w/ White Suns, The Austerity Program, Daniel Malinsky, and Immanent Voiceless @ Public Assembly
* An Albatross, The Wharton Tiers Ensemble, Marc Edwards/Weasel Walter Group @ Knitting Factory Brooklyn
* Hoboken for Haiti Benefit w/ Shrubs, Glenn Mercer (of The Feelies), Schocholautte, Sputnik, more @ Maxwell's
* Schism (Tool tribute), Facelift (Alice in Chains Tribute), Battle of Los Angeles (Rage Against The Machine tribute), Rat Salad (Black Sabbath Tribute) @ Brooklyn Bowl
Tonight is the Grammys.
The all-saxophone PRISM Quartet (tenor, alto, soprano & bari) celebrates their 25th anniversary tonight at LPR with compositions from Steven Mackey, Roshanne Etezady, Jacob TV, Lei Liang, and William Albright. Tickets are on sale. See them performing Dutch composer JacobTV's "Postnuclear Winterscenario No.10" with dance theater Miro, below.
Did you catch Sharon Jones on SNL? She was great, but I wish she was playing with The Dap Kings instead of the Bubbly guy. A video of that performance
that someone posted to YouTube (by filming their TV with a video camera), below...
Did you miss Maluca at Santos on Friday? Well, you have another chance to catch her on Monday (2/1) at Public Assembly. It's a Haiti benefit with Bad Brilliance. Flyer below...