Entries tagged with: SNL
Tonight, Friday, 1/28, Iron & Wine are playing a free show at the Apple Store in SoHo. On Monday (January 31 at 7pm), Carrie Brownstein & Fred Armisen will discuss their IFC TV show Portlandia, live, at the same location. Meanwhile you can catch Portlandia three times today on IFC, including at 10:30pm.
Carrie Brownstein's band Wild Flag is playing two now-sold-out shows in Brooklyn in March (and other dates). Catch Fred Armisen on SNL this Saturday, 1/29, with musical guest Nicki Minaj (who recently announced a tour with Lil Wayne who was on SNL not that long ago)
That picture above shows Portland band the Thermals (who play a show in Portland tonight) arriving at the Portlandia premiere party in NYC last week. The band performed at the event, though unlike some members of the Decemberists, I'm not sure if the Thermals actually get any screen time in one of the upcoming shows. Carrie Brownstein however, as you might remember, gets some screen time in the recent Thermals video for "I Don't Believe You" which is the same song the Thermals will be performing on February 1st on 'Lopez Tonight'. The song comes from the band's 5th LP Personal Life, as does the song "Never Listen to Me" which now also has a video, which you can watch with other stuff, below...
"People on the subway are staring at my scabs"
Fred Armisen, Kristen Wiig, and Jim Carrey performed as "A Taste of New York" on Saturday Night Live this past weekend (on 1/8). A Taste of New York is an "authentic" band from "an area between Avenue B & Avenue C" in New York City. And though Holy Sons are from the West Coast, we have learned that the sketch/song was inspired by new Holy Sons song "A Chapter Must Be Closed" from the recent Survivalist Tales. Fred Armisen watched the video for the song and the rest is history. Compare/contrast the videos below.
Musical duo The Black Keys also played Saturday Night Live on 1/8, a few days before they appeared on the Colbert Report with Ezra. Video of both songs they played are below too.
Musical duo Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein (ex Sleater-Kinney, current Wild Flag) go way back. Their Thunderant series of videos have been making the rounds online for years, and so it's pretty awesome that they've landed a "6-part IFC Original short-based comedy series" called Portlandia which premieres on Friday, January 21, 2011 at 10:30 PM ET/PT on IFC. "Each episode's character-based shorts draw viewers into "Portlandia," the creators' dreamy and absurd rendering of Portland, Oregon."
An assortment of guest stars inhabit PORTLANDIA, including Kyle MacLachlan (Twin Peaks, Sex & The City), Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation), Selma Blair (Legally Blonde, Hellboy), Heather Graham (The Hangover), Edie McClurg (Ferris Bueller's Day Off), Kumail Nanjiani (Michael & Michael Have Issues), Jason Sudeikis (SNL, The Cleveland Show), and Gus Van Sant (Milk). Singer/songwriter Aimee Mann also guest stars, alongside James Mercer (The Shins), and local Portland musicians Jenny Conlee and Colin Meloy (The Decemberists) and Corin Tucker (Sleater-Kinney).Wild Flag is touring in March. Some very funny "Portlandia" videos, and everything else mentioned above, below...
"What do you get when you put The Dude and Slim Shady in the same room?Lil Wayne is also playing somewhere with Nicki Minaj "outdoors in New York City" today, 12/16, at 6:30pm for "500 fans to be a part of a Special NBC New Year's Eve taping." (thx John).
We'll find out Saturday night when Jeff Bridges and rapper Eminem serve as host and musical guest, respectively, on this week's Saturday Night Live.
Bridges is promoting his latest movie, 'Tron: Legacy' while Eminem will perform songs from his newest album, 'Recovery.'...Eminem is slated to perform 'No Love' along with rapper Lil Wayne." [Mass Live]
Tonight (at midnight aka Friday) is also the night that the Daft Punk-scored Tron: Legacy opens in theaters.
Jeff Bridges and Fred Armisen SNL promo below...
"arcade fire. scarlett johansson. snl. win." - Paul
"Sometimes SNL shows me great new bands that I cant believe I haven't heard of... Arcade fire is not one of them #bandsthatsuck" - dj tillery
"I think I just became a fan of Arcade Fire." - Gregory
"I'm so confused by Arcade Fire. #SNL" - Vince Mahtani
"nick zinner from the yeah yeah yeahs is adding synth
for arcade fire on snl right now." - Christian Davis
"Could anything get more pretentious than Arcade Fire on SNL tonight? hitler youth haircuts, tron blazers and interpretive dances? Beat it."
- keith buckley of Epitaph-signed band Everytime I Die
"Arcade Fire (plus owen pallett) on SNL ...amazing" - Julie Foster
"Never heard Arcade Fire before.
Hope to never hear them again. Ugh." - Karen Sugarpants
"Regine and Win are so crazy/awesome/cute/spectacular.
Arcade Fire, I love you." - Andrew R
"whoa, arcade fire's snl performance was worse than ashlee simpson's. and the singer's hair was even worse than the performance." lisa cunningham
"Just watched The Arcade Fire on SNL.
Man, I'd love to see that band live." - Nicole Harpel
"Arcade fire is super weird." - Sarah Evans
"Could arcade fire be the worst band to ever grace snl?
Im beginning to think so." - Lauren Burdick
this was someone's ticket to see Arcade Fire on SNL (trishavirga)
Arcade Fire made their second appearance on Saturday Night Live last night (11/13/10). Videos from the show, and more below...
Florence on Halloween in Boston (Dianna Quagenti)
After playing the Voodoo Music Festival in New Orleans over the weekend, Florence & the Machine kicked off a proper, but short, tour at House of Blues in Boston on Halloween. As you can see in the above picture, and in the video below, Florence and her band did not wimp out on celebrating the holiday.
Last night (11/1), that tour continued into NYC where Florence and the Machine played their first of two sold out shows at the massive Terminal 5. Both shows (last night and tonight) have The Smith Westerns and Hanni El Khatib opening.
Couldn't score or afford a ticket? You still have one more chance to see the UK band when they play a free show at the SoHo Apple Store this afternoon:
Live from SoHo: Florence + The MachineFlorence's U.S. tour ends November 8th in LA, but maybe she'll stick around for a little bit longer so she doesn't have to fly back and forth for their November 20th appearance on Saturday Night Live. All dates, that Halloween video, a video from Terminal 5, and a Hanni El Khatib video, below...
Florence + The Machine embody creative courage. Pick up a wristband at the Apple Store to guarantee admission to tonight's live performance. November 2, 4:00 p.m.
DOWNLOAD: Kristen Wiig - Champion (MP3)
I don't think Betty has a part in the movie
AOL is streaming the entire SNL skit-inspired MacGruber movie soundtrack, which like the new Twilight movie, contains a Black Keys song. Unlike Twilight, MacGruber has three songs by SNL & MacGruber actress and comedian Kristen Wiig (so MacGruber wins). Download one of them for free above.
Betty White killed it all-episode long Saturday night, with one major highlight of course being the death metal tribute to the Golden Girls. Check it out, if you haven't already, below...
MGMT @ Coachella (sta.helena)
MGMT, who recently performed at Coachella, are playing Fordham's Spring Weekend concert this Saturday, May 1st (12:30pm; 441 East Fordham Rd, Bronx) along with Average Girl and Penrose. The show is closed to non-students, but you can have a friend there (or a Craigslist creep) sign you in as a guest.
MGMT were on Saturday Night Live on April 24th. Videos from that and their full tour dates are below...
Morning Benders @ Emo's in Austin (more by Tim Griffin)
tonight in NYC
* Real Estate @ PS1
* Narrows @ Cake Shop
* Earth Day @ Grand Central
* Mike Doughty @ (le) Poisson Rouge
* Kings Go Forth @ Southpaw
* Jason Collett, Zeus, Bahamas @ Union Hall
* Karl Denson's Tiny Universe @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Frances, Rafter, Necking (late) @ Glasslands
* Shark?, This Is Versailles (BBQ) @ Party Expo
* Camila Meza, Meta and the Cornerstones @ Zebulon
* Dam-Funk on a Rocks Off Concert Cruise
* International Noise Conference 0'10 @ Silent Barn
* Titus Andronicus, Harlem, Spider Bags @ Maxwell's
* Elvis Perkins in Dearland, Dough Rollers @ The Bell House
* Adam Green, Savoir Adore, The Dead Trees @ Bowery Ballroom
* Weird Owl, Imaginary Weapons, Von Haze (early) @ Glasslands
* Of Montreal, Wiz Khalifa, Ghostface Killah @ Columbia University
* Envy On The Coast, The Fall of Troy, Twin Atlantic @ Irving Plaza
* Gordon Voidwell, Boy Crisis, Das Racist, Iron Solomon @ 92YTribeca
* Tobacco, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Blast Off! @ Knitting Factory Brooklyn
* The Morning Benders, Holiday Shores, The Luyas @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* HEALTH, Cold Cave, North Highlands, Oberhofer, Andrew W.K. (DJ) @ Solar One
* Holiday Shores, Micachu & the Shapes, Beach Fossils, Moonmen on the Moon Man @ Bruar Falls
* Screaming Females, The Measure, Barrakuda McMurder, Byrds of Paradise, Modern Hut @ Mercury Lounge
* Tahiti Boy and The Palmtree Family, Single Parents, Other Crimes, Drunk Tigers, Blues in Space @ Pianos
Bruar Falls' one year anniversary is tonight.
BrooklynVegan presents Morning Benders, Holiday Shores & The Luyas at Music Hall of Williamsburg.
BrooklynVegan presents Narrows, I Hate Our Freedom and Psychic Limb at Cake Shop.
Silversun Pickups/Against Me! Williamsburg Waterfront tickets are on sale at noon.
MGMT is on Saturday Night Live tonight.
There's a tribute to Alex Chilton at the Living Room on Sunday night.
Devo performed on Jimmy Fallon this past week. Videos below...
The Megaphonic Thrift @ by:Larm 2010 (more)
tonight in NYC
* Louis CK @ Caroline's
* ACME @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Kronos Quartet @ Zankel Hall
* Al Green @ the Wellmont Theatre
* John Zorn Improv Night @ The Stone
* Stupid Party, Gourmet Scum @ Don Pedro
* WFMU's Hoof & Mouth Sinfonia @ Maxwell's
* Todd, Sewerkraut, Drunkdriver @ (late) Cake Shop
* Marina and The Diamonds, Samuel @ The Bell House
* Lord Jeff, Truman Peyote, Julie Bryne @ Silent Barn
* Talib Kweli (DJ), DJ Jujitsu, DJ Eque @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Rufus Wainwright: Blackoutsabbath @ Park Avenue Armory
* Red Hook Ramblers, The Hot Johnsons @ Knitting Factory
* Standard Fare, Little Big, Jack Skuller @ Death By Audio
* Darren Hanlon, A Classic Education, Electricians @ Bruar Falls
* David Daniell & Douglas Mccombs Duo, Alan Licht & Loren Connors @ Union Pool
* Carolina Chocolate Drops, Naomi Shelton & The Gospel Queens @ Bowery Ballroom
* Casiokids, The Good The Bad, Spleen United, The Megaphonic Thrift @ Littlefield (starts 1pm)
* Sissy Spacek, Gerritt Witmer and Paul Knowles, Sean Meehan, Dim Diamond @ (early) Cake Shop
* Field Mouse, Hailey Wojcik & Her Imaginary Friends, Gregory & The Hawk, Julie Peel @ Glasslands
pre-SXSW Scandanavian week continues at Littlefield this AFTERNOON (which is even earlier-feeling than normal thanks to us losing an hour last night. Did you set back your clocks yet?).
Oh, also MGMT is apparently playing Mercury Lounge tonight (as The Smirking Worm).
"The most-talked about aspect of Lady Gaga's Beyonce co-starring, Jonas Akerlund-directed music video for "Telephone," which premiered Thursday night, was not the singer's flagrant partial nudity, girl-on-girl kissing or mass-murder sequence in a diner featuring Tyrese Gibson. It was the product placement. At least nine different brands make appearances in the nine-minute music video, from Gaga's own Heartbeats headphones to a "Beats Limited Edition" laptop, from HP Envy to "telephone" partner Virgin Mobile, and from Miracle Whip and Wonder Bread to Diet Coke. [Ad Age]"
The Lonely Island is Andy Samberg, Akiva Schaffer & Jorma Taccone. Last night on SNL they debuted the video for "Boombox" featuring Julian Casablancas. Watch it below...
a letter posted on Jonah's website...
Right after Jennifer Lopez played on SNL a little while ago, I [Jonah Matranga] got a bunch of messages from people saying she'd used the heart/question mark image that I've been using for many years. Lots of you said I should sue to stop ol' J-Lo from using it further or whatever. I thought it was kind of a bummer that she used it, but pretty funny overall. Mostly, I didn't think that I would have the money or time to deal with whatever high-powered management and lawyers J-Lo has, so I kinda wrote it off as one of those weird things that happens.
Then, a friend who knows about Intellectual Property law got in touch and said I actually do have a valid case. It turns out her new album will be called 'Love?', so it seems like the image might be used by her a whole lot more. When I think about it, I would rather that she didn't use this image that I've come to enjoy so much. I have it on so many albums, posters, shirts. I draw it when I sign stuff for people, I have a tattoo of it, many of you do as well. I'm not sure what the image means to you, but it has come to mean many things to me over the years. One of those things is simply, 'I love ideas'. Anyway, I asked some lawyer friends about what I could do to stop her. I'm putting some stuff together (album covers, etc) to show that I'm a legitimate artist whose art, image and community she'd be messing with.
Here's where you come in: I've also been told that you can help out by sending photos of ways you've used the image in your life, after you found it through my music. So, if you have a tattoo of it, or you've made drawings of it, or you have anything at all that shows the many ways the little heartquestion has gotten out there, I'd love to see it, and so would the lawyers. You can post your pics (or links to them) here, or send them via any number of internetty ways, or just mail 'em to me.
I have no idea what will happen from all this, but it seems as good an excuse as any to gather this stuff together and remember the power and fun of making stuff and putting it out into the world.
Please pass this on to anyone who might be interested.
an old photo of Voivod
Titus Andronicus @ Mercury Lounge on New Years Eve (more by Zach Stern)
tonight in NYC
* Soulive @ Brooklyn Bowl
* The Silent League @ Sycamore
* Marky Ramone (DJ) @ The Frying Pan
* Sondre Lerche @ (early) Maxwell's
* Naam, Liturgy, Tournament @ Union Pool
* Jay-Z, Young Jeezy, Trey Songz @ Izod Center
* Amniotic, Twin Sister, Jersey Band @ Coco 66
* Ben Sollee & Daniel Martin Moore @ Joe's Pub
* Pierced Arrows, Lullabye Arkestra @ (late) Maxwell's
* The Death Set, The So So Glos, Sweet Bulbs @ Bruar Falls
* Title Tracks, Pretty & Nice, Gary B & Notions @ Union Hall
* Kreator, Voivod, Nachtmystium @ Nokia Theatre Times Square
* Backslider, Chainsaw To The Face, The Communion @ ABC No Rio
* Vinicio Capossela, Marc Ribot, Frank London @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Tall Firs, Arms, We Are Country Mice, Dragon Turtle @ Glasslands
* Backslider, Chainsaw To The Face, Unmen, Bloodkitt @ Rock Star Bar
* High Teen Boogie, Little Victory, Edie Sedgwick @ (late) Cake Shop
* RJD2, Break Science, Happy Chichester @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Evan Dando, The Candles, Blair 9:30, The Naked Hearts @ Mercury Lounge
* Blacklisted, Gods & Queens, Tiger Flowers, Chambers @ (early) Cake Shop
* Pet Ghost Project, Akudama, Monogold, Papa, Teenage Prayers @ Spike Hill
* Titus Andronicus, Parts and Labor, Babies, Cloud Nothings @ Bowery Ballroom
* Alex Bleeker & The Freaks, Family Portrait, guest @ 59 Jefferson St., #402
* Free Kisses, Shark?, Byrds of Paradise, Philip Seymour Hoffman @ Shea Stadium
* Golden Triangle, Sandwitches, Coasting, Girls at Dawn @ Monster Island Basement
* Robbers on High Street, Ravens & Chimes, Queen Killing Kings @ Bell House
* Math the Band, Peelander Z, Uncle Monsterface, Eskalators, Lima @ Death By Audio
* Nude Beach, Total Slacker, Girls At Dawn, Anasazis,Mystic Underground @DonPedro
* Jason Blum, The Scandinavian, Half-Breeds, I'm Turning Into @ Pete's Candy Store
* Shara Worden & yMusic, yMusic, Sarah Small, Black Sea Hotel (Shara Worden-curated 2-night fest) @ 92YTribeca
Vampire Weekend and Zach Galifianakis are on SNL tonight.
JBM is no longer opening for Sondre Lerche at Maxwell's tonight. He is instead on tour with Rogue Wave.
Voivod play Nokia Theatre with Kreator tonight. Catch them in Austin at the free BV/M For Montreal party on 3/20.
The Girls at Dawn pull double duty tonight. They share the bill with The Sandwitches and Golden Triangle at Monster Island, and they play with Nude Beach, Total Slacker and others at Don Pedro.
The Blacklisted / Tiger Flowers / Chambers show kicks off at Cake Shop at 5pm. Flyer below...
by Klaus Kinski
As we pointed out, Them Crooked Vultures were the musical guest on SNL last Saturday (two nights before they played Roseland Ballroom as part of a short tour). What we haven't mentioned is the skit that Vultures drummer Dave Grohl also participated in during the course of the Superbowl-eve show. I'm talking about the Fred Armisen-penned ode to hardcore set at a wedding with Bill Hader and Ashton Kutcher rounding out a four piece Fred Armisen-as-dad-of-the-bride band that proceeded to destroy everything in sight.
What people may not have noticed at the time was how elaborate an homage to 80s hardcore the skit was. Not only did the sketch hilariously caricature and encapsulate the anti-authoritarian, anti-meathead-letterman mentality the bands of that era railed against, but the wedding party's name "Cadena - Norton" is, presumably, a shout out to Black Flag's Dez Cadena and Husker Du's Greg Norton. The band was named Crisis of Conformity (Earth Crisis, Corrosion of Conformity). They broke up in 1983 (just like Minor Threat). Its members are also a serious tip of the hat to that 80s era scene. The skit's line-up featured Steve (Steve Hansgen of Minor Threat), Greg (Greg Ginn of Black Flag) (or maybe Greg Norton) (or was it Greg Hetson of the Circle Jerks), Lyle (Lyle Preslar of Minor Threat, Samhain), and Ian (Ian MacKaye of Minor Threat, Fugazi, Egg Hunt). Such a dense homage in such a short set could only have spawned from the mind of Fred Armisen (whose own credits also include Trenchmouth). However, theatrically, the skit wasn't without it's minor faults. As Tom Scharpling succinctly pointed out in a recent tweet, "Remember when hardcore guitarists acted like they were in Warrant? Aston Koocher does." Check out the video with the full lyrics below...
Yeasayer @ Hudson River Park in 2009 (more by Bao Nguyen)
tonight in NYC
* Whiplash @ UCB Theatre
* Chicha Libre @ Barbes
* Them Crooked Vultures @ Roseland Ballroom
* Yeasayer, Light Asylum, Bobo @ Bowery Ballroom
* Les Paul Guitar Tribute w/ Vernon Reid @ Iridium
* Reverend Vince Anderson & His Love Choir @ Union Pool
* Dinosaur Bones, My Pet Dragon, Otterclean @ The Cameo Gallery
* Horse's Mouth, Your Nature, Blast Off, The Wailing Wall @ Death By Audio
* Knight School, Diehard, Family Portrait, Golden City @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Unsound Festival: Anticipate Showcase w/ Sawako, Ezekiel Honig, Alexander Kaline @ Littlefield
* Destry, Mean Creek, The Narrative, Borrowed Eyes & The Blood Red Road @ Knitting Factory Brooklyn
The Unsound Festival continues.
Them Crooked Vultures play a show at Roseland Ballroom tonight. On Saturday they appeared on Saturday Night Live. Videos from that show below...
The Who played the Superbowl Halftime show on Sunday. Videos from that below...
Dap King @ Brooklyn Bowl (more by Kyle Dean Reinford)
Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings will be returning to NY's historic Apollo Theater on Friday, April 30th. Tickets just went on Fan Club presale (password = SHARON). Then, Apollo Theater Foundation & AEG/Ticketmaster presales start on Wednesday at 10am, before they go on general sale this Friday, February 5th at 10am.
Sharon Jones & band will also be at Wanee Fest in Florida this April.
Their new album I Learned the Hard Way comes out April 6th on Daptone.
Extra Life @ Knitting Factory in Dec (more by Lori Baily)
tonight in NYC
* Midnite @ SOB's
* comedy @ Union Hall
* Toshi Reagon @ Joe's Pub
* PRISM Quartet @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Darlings, Rifle Recoil @ Bruar Falls
* Soft Circle, Free Blood, Hunters, DJ Spun @ Glasslands
* Sam Mickens/Mike Pride Duo, Kush, Extra Life @ Zebulon
* Mama Bear, Pearl & The Beard, Denver Hughes, Sweater @ The Cameo
* Haiti Benefit w/ Runny, The Pioneers of Seduction, Glass Pipe, DJ Half Chemical @ Trash Bar
* Zona w/ White Suns, The Austerity Program, Daniel Malinsky, and Immanent Voiceless @ Public Assembly
* An Albatross, The Wharton Tiers Ensemble, Marc Edwards/Weasel Walter Group @ Knitting Factory Brooklyn
* Hoboken for Haiti Benefit w/ Shrubs, Glenn Mercer (of The Feelies), Schocholautte, Sputnik, more @ Maxwell's
* Schism (Tool tribute), Facelift (Alice in Chains Tribute), Battle of Los Angeles (Rage Against The Machine tribute), Rat Salad (Black Sabbath Tribute) @ Brooklyn Bowl
Tonight is the Grammys.
The all-saxophone PRISM Quartet (tenor, alto, soprano & bari) celebrates their 25th anniversary tonight at LPR with compositions from Steven Mackey, Roshanne Etezady, Jacob TV, Lei Liang, and William Albright. Tickets are on sale. See them performing Dutch composer JacobTV's "Postnuclear Winterscenario No.10" with dance theater Miro, below.
Did you catch Sharon Jones on SNL? She was great, but I wish she was playing with The Dap Kings instead of the Bubbly guy. A video of that performance
that someone posted to YouTube (by filming their TV with a video camera), below...
Did you miss Maluca at Santos on Friday? Well, you have another chance to catch her on Monday (2/1) at Public Assembly. It's a Haiti benefit with Bad Brilliance. Flyer below...
Sharon Jones @ Brooklyn Bowl on December 30th (more by Kyle Dean Reinford)
The release date for Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings' new album, I Learned the Hard Way, has been moved up almost a month, from the original May 4th to April 6th. Jones will be dueting on this Saturday's SNL with musical guest Michael Buble (wait, what?). They'll do the song "Baby (You've Got What It Takes)" off Buble's October 2009 album Crazy Love. Sharon also sings on the album version (which I did not realize until now). That song is embedded in a video below.
Sharon's Dap-Tone labelmates Naomi Shelton & The Gospel Queens will play a Haiti benefit at Knitting Factory Brooklyn on Monday, February 1st. They join the Antibalas-related group Amayo's Fu-Arkist-Ra (which will be bolstered with members of Chico Mann & Fela! cast members), Ikebe Shakedown and DJ Rich Medina. Tickets are on sale. Flyer below...
Former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney has revealed that he was invited to join Them Crooked Vultures.Them Crooked Vultures have some upcoming North American shows scheduled. They're playing Coachella in April, and returning to NYC even sooner. The supergroup returns to Roseland Ballroom (where they played their first NYC show in October) on February 8th (that is soon!). Tickets ($49.50) go on sale Saturday at 10am.
The age of the supergroup has returned. In the late 60s it seemed that every top musician was closing ranks, with the likes of Cream, Traffic, Big Brother Holding Company and more taking the music world by storm.
Last year the trend suddenly re-emerged as the likes of The Dead Weather, Monsters Of Folk and Them Crooked Vultures released celebrated albums.
Formed by Josh Homme and Dave Grohl, the American pair turned to Led Zeppelin bass player John Paul Jones to complete the trio. Releasing their debut album it seems as if the band could be an ongoing project.
However in a new interview former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney has revealed that he could have potentially joined the band. Speaking to the Daily Mail the iconic musician revealed that he had dinner with Dave Grohl after last year's Grammy awards when the project was mentioned. [Clash]
The NYC show is two days after the band play Saturday Night Live (Ashton Kutcher will host).
And the NYC show is one of three upcoming live shows the band is playing in February. Tickets are also going on sale Saturday for gigs in Charlotte and Atlanta. All dates below...
Jews rejoyce. Orrin Hatch, the Republican Mormon senator from Utah, has written a Hanukkah song: "Eight Days of Hanukkah."Orrin Hatch.... and Chevonne, and more below...
As Hatch told the New York Times, "Anything I can do for the Jewish people, I will do. Mormons believe the Jewish people are the chosen people, just like the Old Testament." [Huffington Post]
photos by Leia Jospe
"Saturday Night Live" has drawn praise for an episode (hosted by the "Gossip Girl" star Blake Lively) that opened with a satire on Michaele and Tareq Salahi, the Virginia couple accused of crashing President Obama's first state dinner. But the show took criticism for a skit that tweaked Tiger Woods and the speculation about marital difficulties between him and his wife, Elin, since his car accident late last month.Real Estate headlined a show with Cloud Nothings (their first show) and Woods at Market Hotel in Brooklyn on Friday night (12/4). On Saturday, Rihanna was the musical guest on a new episode of Saturday night Live that featured the above-described skit that parodied the Tiger Woods controversy. Pictures from Market Hotel and the SNL video below...
In the comedy sketch, Tiger Woods (played by the "S.N.L." performer Kenan Thompson) gives a series of press conferences attempting to apologize for acts of infidelity. In each appearance, the fictional Woods appears with more bruises and injuries, evidently sustained at the hands of Elin (played in the skit by Ms. Lively).
""Saturday Night Live" grappled with real life--President Obama's surprise win of the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday--as cast member Fred Armisen played the president as the luckiest man in the world--who is not George Bush.Regina Spektor was the musical guest on Saturday. Her Radio City Music Hall show is this Wednesday. Videos of Regina (before, during and after SNL), Fred-as-Obama, and more, below...
Armisen as Obama: "This came without warning, I didn't even get a call as due to the time difference in Norway, the Nobel people didn't want to wake me up. I wish they had, I could have said to Hillary Clinton, 'Hey, remember that 3 a.m. call you were so worried about? It happened. Nobel Peace Prize." [Sun Times]
Sunny Day Real Estate
City Pages: So what got you guys talking seriously about doing this reunion? What was the turning point?tonight in NYC
Dan Hoerner: I think the turning point was Nate. He had the opening in his schedule--Nate's very much involved with the Foo Fighters--and it was the perfect time for everybody and Nate was kind of the impetus. I had no inkling, no idea that it was even a possibility. If you had asked me even one day before Nate called me if I expected Nate to call me within the next five years, I would have laughed. So when he gave me the shout, what am I going to say? I'm busy? No: I was like, "YES! Tell me when!" It was Nate. Ultimately, everybody had the time and everybody was in the right place to do it, and to get the push from Nate and to know that Nate's got a whole team of people he works with now that are fantastic, so just all the stars aligned in the right way.
* Brown Recluse @ Cake Shop
* Hull, Batillus, Dark Vibe @ Union Pool
* Japandroids, Makeout Videotape @ Mercury Lounge
* Sunny Day Real Estate, The Jealous Sound @ Terminal 5
* Gary War, Tom Crter, Purple Haze @ Issue Project Room
* Darius Jones Trio, Jason Ajemian & The High Life @ Zebulon
* papercranes, Yoni Gordon, The Wiitala Brothers @ Pete's Candy Store
* Great Lake Swimmers, The Wooden Birds, Sharon Van Etten @ Bowery Ballroom
* Onion Flavored Rings, Stupid Party, Bad Blood, Weird Weather @ Silent Barn
* MC Chris, The Hamiltons, Deepsleep, Wingnut Dishwasher's Union, Groucho Marxists, Night Birds, Assassination, Ya Witness @ Cake Shop
Fever Ray is here Monday.
The new season of SNL debuted last night with new cast member Jenny Slate who dropped the F bomb on live TV. Video below...
Regina Spektor will be the musical guest on Saturday Night Live on October 10th, four days before she headlines Radio City Music Hall. Over the summer she was on Good Morning America...
Max Silvestri, Jenny Slate & Gabe Liedman @ Rififi (Marianne Ways)
Hi buds,Klaus also tells me that comedian Hannibal Burress has been hired by SNL as a staff writer... which is confirmed by the Apiary that also says UCB performer Christine Nangle will also be writing for the show. Congrats to everyone! Some Jenny videos below...
Woah, get ready. I have some huge news! As you know, one of my lovely Big Terrific co-hosts Jenny Slate has been absent as of late doing "showbiz" stuff, and a lot of you have been all "more like no-biz!!" Well first, stop saying that, and also, it's paid off! She is the newest cast member on Saturday Night Live, which is a long running television show that you have heard of. Won't that be amazing? She is going to be their go-to person for Gloria Estefan impressions. Also, she is going to be their go-to person for everything because she is the best, we love her so much, are so very proud, and cannot think of anyone who would be better on that show. It's really just perfect. Like, we were all surprised to get the news but also we totally weren't, you know? That's how great she'll be.
Jenny will be back at Big T soon to tell lots of showbiz stories about what Megan Fox smells like and how Ted Danson always has mints handy or whatever. Come this Wednesday and celebrate with Gabe and me, before all of us are too famous.
We've got super guests too: Eugene Mirman, Leo Allen, Brent Sullivan and more! We're so psyched. It's Wednesday September 2nd at 8pm at Cameo Gallery, 93 North 6th St between Berry & Wythe in Williamsburg. Come hang out!!
Thanks guys. You guys make Big Terrific the most fun. (Also us, but definitely you a bit too.)
Pete Seeger @ Columbia in April...
"Clearwater conducts innovative environmental programs, advocacy and celebrations in order to inspire and energize the next generation of environmental leaders.Pete Seeger's been busy lately, especially for someone who just celebrated his 90th birthday. The event for that occasion took place at Madison Square Garden on May 3rd, and is reviewed in full below, with pictures. A few weeks before that, on Earth Day (April 18th), Pete played a show at Columbia's Teachers College. Photos from that show are below too. Right after that he headed to New Orleans to perform at Jazz Fest. Prior to those, Seeger played the Clearwater benefit with Jeff Tweedy at Beacon High School on March 28th. We also recently noticed his name as the special guest on a show at Joe's Pub.
Clearwater was founded in 1969 by music legend and environmental activist Pete Seeger." [Clearwater]
This summer Pete Seeger is scheduled to play the Newport Folk Festival (August 1st and 2nd), and will perform at his own Clearwater Festival, taking place in Croton-on-the-Hudson, NY this weekend (June 20th and 21st). The Clearwater Fest lineup includes Dr. Dog, A.C. Newman, Elvis Perkins in Dearland, Richie Havens, Old Crow Medicine Show, Alejandro Escovedo, Arlo Guthrie and others. Its full schedule is below. Tickets are still sale at the gate.
UPDATE: we can confirm that Pete played his scheduled Saturday morning Clearwater Fest performance "with kids" for those who braved the rain. Pete will perform again at the festival on Sunday afternoon with his grandson Tao Rodriguez-Seeger.
A review of Pete Seeger's 90th Birthday Celebration at MSG, and all above-mentioned photos, with the full Clearwater Festival lineup & schedule, below...