Entries tagged with: Santacon
Queens of the Stone Age @ ACL 2013 (more by Tim Griffin)
Browse our full NYC show calendar for all of tonight's shows. Here are some highlights...
Queens of the Stone Age, The Kills @ Barclays Center
Queens of the Stone Age made quite the comeback this year with ...Like Clockwork, an album that reunited much of the Songs for the Deaf lineup and was packed with great songs. Tonight they return to NYC to take on the city's newest arena with excellent support coming from The Kills.
Yo La Tengo @ The Bell House
One of the many sad things about Maxwell's closing this year was that Yo La Tengo's annual Hannukah shows would no longer be happening. It's not quite the same but their four sold-out holiday shows at The Bell House will hopefully have some of the same spirit and surprises. This is Night 2.
Diarrhea Planet, Purling Hiss, Big Ups, Manors @ Brooklyn Night Bazaar
The Brooklyn Night Bazaar is a fun way to get in food, shopping, and free music in Brooklyn all at once, and tonight's lineup is heavy on the rawk bands with raging garage punks Diarrhea Planet, grungy rockers Purling Hiss, post-hardcore rippers Big Ups, and guitar pop trio Manors.
Mahogany, Ashrae Fax, Tomboy @ Cameo Gallery
North Carolina duo Ashrae Fax put out lost gem Static Crash 10 years ago which sounds like the best '80s 4AD album never heard (think Cocteau Twins but groovier). Mexican Summer reissued the record this year and have coaxed the band back into action.
Luke Temple (of Here We Go Magic), Jo Schornikow (of Phosphorescent), Woodsman, Laura & Greg, Eastern Midwestern, Single Ben, Level II, DJ Pumpkin Patch @ Church of the Messiah
A bunch of talented folk are coming together to play this benefit show called "One Night in Greenpoint" and all proceeds go to Common Ground, a homeless outreach program ending homelessness in NYC. Tickets are still available.
Waxahatchee, Mutual Benefit @ Converse Rubber Tracks
It's the launch party for Pitchfork's new print quarterly, The Pitchfork Review, and they've got two of the year's breakout bands (who both achieved much P4K acclaim) for the occasion. There's the lyrically honest indie rock of Waxahatchee and the delicate chamber pop of Mutual Benefit.
Hess Is More, Psoy, Interzona @ Baby's All Right
Hess is More's most recent album, Creation Keeps the Devil Away, came out back in 2011. While good, it only hints at the live show which borders on DFA-style dancerock. Definitely worth checking out.
Lips, Fielded, Germans @ Glasslands
Originally from New Zealand, Stephanie Brown now lives in Brooklyn where she makes music under the name Lips. Tonight is a release party for her new EP where Lips' electro-soul style and smoky voice are still in fine form, with more assured, production than we've heard to date.
J. Roddy Walston and The Business, Washed Out (DJ Set), New Madrid @ Gramercy Theatre
Cleveland (Tennessee) band J. Roddy Walston and The Business play tonight, bringing their raucous, ragged brand of piano rock to Gramercy Theatre.
Dusted (featuring Brian Borcherdt of Holy Fuck) @ Rockwood Music Hall
Holy Fuck just opened for !!! at Webster Hall last night, and tonight member Brian Borcherdt tones things down with his softer side project Dusted.
JD Samson & MEN, Tippy Toes, Colin Self @ Knitting Factory
The Julie Ruin isn't the only ex-Le Tigre band to put out an album this year. JD Samson's MEN returned with Labor and it's more of the kind of highly danceable stuff we've come to expect from them. This show was originally to be at Rough Trade but was moved do to their sound issues.
John Waters (A John Waters Christmas) @ Stage 48
The director and kitsch connoisseur will be sharing "some of his favorite holiday traditions, from his compulsive desire to give and receive perverted gifts to his religious fanaticism for Santa Claus and an unhealthy love of real-life holiday horror stories."
Hard Nips, Sunwatchers (mem.s NYMPH), Platinum Vision, Peter Kerlin's Octet @ Trans-Pecos
Here's a chance to check out Todd P's new venue which is on the old Silent Barn space. Headlining are Japanese ex-pats Hard Nips whose wild shouty punk is usually a good time.
Regal Degal, Viva l'American Death Ray Music, Schmear @ Union Pool
Operating with drone, repetition and odd chord changes, Regal Degal are genuinely strange but very good at what they do. For some, pop music comes easy, for others it comes out like this. And that's a good thing. Viva l'American Death Ray Music are not quite as tilted but definitely operate on the fringes.
Hot Water Music, Torche, O'Brother @ Webster Hall
If you like big, bash-your-face-in rock, this double billing of Hot Water Music and Torche is not to miss. HWM reunited a few years back and secured their comeback with 2012's Exister, 13 more songs of their great, growly punk. Meanwhile, Torche continue to keep making sure the sludge metal world has its poppy side.
Tombs, Sannhet, Argonauts, Windfaerer, Barbarian @ ABC No Rio
It's an all ages matinee at ABC No Rio with some pretty excellent local metal, mostly on the atmospheric but still totally heavy side. Really strong bill.
Oh, Santacon. You either hate it with every fibre of your being or you're currently wearing a puke-stained red suit right now. Actual snow should make things more interesting. For the rest of us, stay indoors if you can.
For all of tonight's shows, and tomorrow's, check out our full NYC show calendar.
For laughs, check out the NYC Comedy calendar too.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Haim @ Glasslands, May 2012 (more by Chris La Putt)
Eternal Summers @ Knitting Factory, 6/15/2012 (more by Amanda Hatfield)
She Keeps Bees @ MHOW, April 2011 (more by Jessica Amaya)
today in NYC
* Yo La Tengo @ Maxwell's
* Matisyahu @ Terminal 5
* Monoton @ Pianos
* The LeeVees @ Brooklyn Bowl
* TEEN, Guards @ Knitting Factory
* Jonathan Toubin @ Brooklyn Bowl
* The Rascals @ The Capitol Theatre
* Banning Eyre and Timbila @ Barbes
* The Polyphonic Spree @ Webster Hall
* Haim, MS MR @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Chappo, Monogold @ The Mercury Lounge
* Akudama, Tropic Of Pisces @ Glasslands
* Turkuaz, Watermelon @ The Mercury Lounge
* Trans-Siberian Orchestra @ Nassau Coliseum
* Wild Adriatic, TAB the Band @ The Rock Shop
* Jonas Reinhardt, Lingerie @ Public Assembly
* Nada Surf, Jennifer O'Connor @ Bowery Ballroom
* The So So Glos, The Beets, Nonhorse @ Shea Stadium
* Illum Sphere, Octo Octa, Sheepshead @ Cameo Gallery
* Kim Ann Foxman of Hercules and Love Affair @ Le Bain
* "Special Guest," She Keeps Bees, Speck Mountain @ Cameo
* Lemonade, Rush Midnight, Star Eyes, Jubilee @ Glasslands
* Min Xiao-Fen's Dim Sum with Satoshi Takeishi @ The Stone
* Behold... the Arctopus, Ocrilim, El Drugstore @ Saint Vitus
* Backwords, Norwegian Arms, Caged Animals, Howth @ Big Snow
* Your 33 Black Angels, Grand Rapids, The Sound Awake @ Union Pool
* King Stork, Rachel and Her Illegits, The Happy Hours @ Union Hall
* Friendly People, Vassals, This Old Ghost, Emily Elbert @ Cake Shop
* Bridges and Powerlines, The Aye-Ayes, Junior Prom, Alex Yac @ Pianos
* Black Dice, Eternal Summers, Bleeding Rainbow @ Brooklyn Night Bazaar
* Tunde Adebimpe of TV on the Radio, Ivan Navarro @ Saints Peter & Paul Theatre
* A Place To Bury Strangers, The Immaculates, Grooms, The Dreebs @ Death By Audio
* Zs, Nymph, TONSTARTSSBANDHT, Colin L. Orchestra, Chief Boima, Dutty Artz DJ set @ 92Y Tribeca
* Harry & the Potters, Potter Puppet Pals, The Whomping Willows, The Home Alones @ The Bell House
* The Rolling Stones, The Black Keys, Lady Gaga, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band @ Prudential Center
* Dubbel Dutch, Lamin Fofana (b2b Max Mcferren), J-Cush (b2b DJ Manny), Max Pearl (b2b Alex Burkat), Contakt (b2b Mayster) @ 285 Kent
If you see more Saint Nicks out on the streets today than usual -- a lot more -- that's because it's the annual SANTACON. Unlike regular Santa, there may be rampant naughtiness.
Tonight is the final night of Hanukkah and therefore the last night of Yo La Tengo's annual holiday run at Maxwell's. Last night Titus Andronicus, Jon Benjamin and Jon Glaser opened. Who do you think is gonna do it tonight?
Tonight at Cameo is an evening being presented by Sharon Van Etten, featuring She Keeps Bees, Speck Mountain and a headlining set by "Special Guest." Tickets are still available.
Follow BrooklynVegan on Instagram.
Santacon in NYC yesterday (photo by Ryan Muir)
today in NYC
* Whiplash @ UCB
* Brain Cloud @ Barbes
* Hot Tub @ Littlefield
* Chicha Libre @ Barbes
* Melanie Moser @ Zebulon
* Wyclef Jean @ City Winery
* !!!, Slowdance @ Maxwell's
* Lou Reed & the Raven @ Book Court
* Mike Birbiglia @ Comic Strip Live
* Darlene Love @ B.B. King Blues Club
* Futurebirds, Grass Giraffes @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Jim Campilongo Electric Trio @ The Living Room
* The National, The War On Drugs @ Beacon Theatre
* Oh Land, Friends, Savoir Adore @ Bowery Ballroom
* Steve Moakler, Graham Colton @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Reverend Vince Anderson & His Love Choir @ Union Pool
* Sonya Kitchell, Carrie Manolakos @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Rocket From The Tombs, Abstract Artimus @ The Bell House
* Black Onassis, Spirit Animal, Our Mountain @ Mercury Lounge
* Freelance Whales, Ximena Sarinana, Deer Tick, MNDR @ Openhouse Gallery
* The Hairs, Small Reactions, Pale Lights, We Can't Enjoy Ourselves @ Cake Shop
* Tony Scherr Trio with Anton Fier and Rob Jost, Chris Riffle, Dive Bar Dukes @ The Living Room
Das Racist's new video for "Brand New Dance" below...
Santacon hit NYC over the weekend (oracle monkey)
Hundreds of sloshed Santas piled into bars across the city Saturday - part of an annual pub crawl called Santacon.tonight in NYC
I strapped on a shiny Santa Claus suit and joined a legion of merrymakers at a secret meeting spot in Queens. The booze began flowing well before the official 10 a.m. start.
A few naughty boys even dared to play three Santas in a pickup basketball game in an Astoria Park - and lost.
"Nobody tops Santa at basketball," said Pat Costello, 27, who trekked in his costume from Floral Park. [Daily News]
* Whiplash @ UCB
* Exit Music, Only Son, Little Gold @ Zebulon
* Reggie Watts, Jared Logan @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Matisyahu, Brothers Past @ Webster Hall
* Reverend Vince Anderson & His Love Choir @ Union Pool
* Lissy Trullie, Mike Bones, Xylos @ Mercury Lounge
* Les Paul Guitar Trio w/ Pat Martino & Eldar @ Iridium
* The Slits, The Sundelles, Sisters @ Highline Ballroom
* Keren Ann, Clare & the Reasons @ Knitting Factory Brooklyn
* Popo, The Death Set (DJ), Cool Places Soundsystem (DJ), Pink Skull (DJ) @ Santos Party House
Happy Hanukkah. Check out our guide to Hanukkah events (MP3s included).
If you missed the Hanukkah Gone Metal show at Knitting Factory, you have anothter chance December 17th at Fontana's.
"It's been nearly a week since MySpace Music closed its acquisition of some of the assets of music service Imeem and redirected imeem.com to music.myspace.com. MySpace took a lot of heat for the sudden shutdown of the Imeem service, particularly the API." [Washington Post]
Amazon continues to release a free Christmas song a day.
iTunes is giving away a free holiday sampler (Weezer included).
Nacional Records is giving away 21 MP3s by its 'Latin Music' artists (including Manu Chao).
Keren Ann plays her 2nd of two shows in a row tonight. A live video below...
"Strong sales of the video game The Beatles: Rock Band haven't translated into job security at Harmonix Music Systems Inc., the Cambridge software company that created the game. On Thursday, Harmonix let go 39 of its employees, or about 13 percent of its workforce." [Boston Globe]
Reggie Watts records his second of three shows tonight.