Entries tagged with: Smoking Popes
photos by Kirstie Shanley
Gwar / Danzig
Not long after [Andrew W.K.'s set], on the Roots Stage, part-time UCLA professor and full-time punk rocker Greg Graffin joined his band Bad Religion. The great thing about the California punk veterans is that the majority of their songs (in true punk rock fashion) rarely pass the two-minute mark. We were treated to a nice variety of songs from their 30+ year career, including classics like "I Want to Conquer the World," "We're Only Gonna Die," and "Infected." They also performed a few tunes from this year's True North, such as "Fuck You," "Dharma and the Bomb," and the LP's title track. The members threw around some self-depreciating humor, poking fun at their age. "We've been around since the 80s!" said Graffin, now fully greyed. Their songs are timeless, and some are even more relevant now than ever. Just go re-listen to "21st Century Digital Boy." [BV Chicago]Chicago's Riot Fest (the second of three Riot Fests this year) is currently underway. It's on its third and final day (9/15) as we speak (set times). The festival began this past Friday (9/13), and on the first day we caught sets by Danzig, Joan Jett, Bad Religion, Gwar, Atmosphere, Andrew WK, Smoking Popes, Saul Williams, Dessa, and more. Pictures from that day are in this post, and there's more pictures, plus a review, over at BV Chicago.
More day 1 pics below...
by Fred Pessaro // BBG
Treasure Fleet (photo by Katie Hovland)
Treasure Fleet sound like they've been in a time capsule, and I mean that with the utmost respect. The band's sugary-sweet mix of 60's mod pop-psych mixed with a dash of punk rock seems almost as if it has forgone any influence from bands in the past thirty years to craft their debut for Recess Records. Comprised of members of The Arrivals, Lawrence Arms, Smoking Popes and Sass Dragons, the band's latest LP Future Ways is due on 11/30 and you can stream it in full for the first time below. Order yours at the label, reccommended.
So far no NYC shows scheduled for TF, but the Chicago band has a couple scheduled in their native Midwest. Check out a list of tour dates, that stream and a video below.
The Mountain Goats @ Lollapalooza 2011 (more by Grant MacAllister)
today in NYC
* Akio Suzuki @ The Stone
* Wyatt Cenac @ Carolines
* Sound Actions @ The Stone
* Les Chauds Lapins @ Barbes
* Smokey's Roundup @ @ Barbes
* Santigold @ Roseland Ballroom
* Air Supply @ BB King Blues Club
* Calexico, The Dodos @ Webster Hall
* Barbra Streisand @ Barclays Center
* Lewis Black @ Richard Rodgers Theatre
* Heloise & The Savoir Faire @ BAM Cafe
* Ha Ha Tonka, Via Audio @ The Rock Shop
* Van She, Plastic Plates @ Tammany Hall
* Morrissey, Kristeen Young @ Terminal 5
* Osekre & the Lucky Bastards @ Joe's Pub
* Janeane Garofalo @ Eastville Comedy Club
* The Living Kills, Zulu Pearls @ Glasslands
* Public Image Limited @ Hammerstein Ballroom
* Miracles of Modern Science @ Mercury Lounge
* Hardbodies, Napoleon, Wrong Dots @ Union Pool
* Tilly & The Wall, Nicky Da B @ Bowery Ballroom
* Dark Dark Dark, Emily Wells @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Chrome Cranks, Star and Dagger @ Mercury Lounge
* Helloradio, Radical Dads, Birthwater @ Maxwell's
* Blues Traveler, Spin Doctors @ The Capitol Theatre
* Star Systems, John Goldberger "Surprise" @ Zebulon
* DJ Spinn, Rizzla, Durban, J-Cush @ 285 Kent Avenue
* Matmos, Ed Schrader's Music Beat @ 285 Kent Avenue
* Timba Harris presents neXus I: Cascadia @ The Stone
* Matias Aguayo, Ivan Smagghe, Tim Sweeney @ Cameo Gallery
* Kermit Ruffins and the Barbecue Swingers @ Brooklyn Bowl
* The Losers Lounge tribute to Dusty Springfield @ Joe's Pub
* Chain Of Strength, Bold, Battery, Shai Hulud @ Irving Plaza
* Natureboy, Heart of Hearts, Easy Lover, Sick Din @ Cake Shop
* Mr. Dream, Dinosaur Feathers, Brainstorm, Shark? @ Shea Stadium
* The Mountain Goats, Matthew E. White @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Glen Campbell, Victoria Ghost @ Carnegie Hall Isaac Stern Auditorium
* Foster Care, Pampers, Teenanger, Soupcans, Family Curse @ Death By Audio
* Capital Cities, French Horn Rebellion, FM Attack (DJ Set) @ Brooklyn Bowl
* The Riverboat Gamblers, Cobra Skulls, Freshkills @ Rocks Off Concert Cruises
* Oceanographer, Appomattox, The Archive, Gabriel Berezin @ The Bowery Electric
* Smoking Popes (playing "Born to Quit"), Let Me Run, The Doorbells @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Le Rug, Team Spirit, Jangula, Chappo, Cool Serbia, Butter The Children, Surfing, Lazyeyes @ 171 Lombardy
The Smoking Popes are playing their '90s alt-rock fave Born to Quit front-to-back tonight at The Studio @ Webster Hall. Video for their single "I Need You Around" is below.
All out of love and find you now have to make love out of nothing at all? Australian soft rock duo Air Supply are here to help, playing their slow dance faves at BB King Blues Club tonight. A couple classic videos are below to refresh your memory.
Revelation Records' 25th Anniversary weekend rolls on with Chain Of Strength headlining Irving Plaza.
It's the last-ever show at DIY space 171 Lombardy tonight (at least with the current tenants) and they're throwing a big goodbye party with Le Rug, Team Spirit, Jangula, Chappo, Cool Serbia, Butter The Children, Surfing, and Lazyeyes.
Follow BrooklynVegan on Instagram.