Entries tagged with: Soul Clap
Kraftwerk @ MoMA, 2012 (more by Greg Cristman)
As mentioned, Moogest 2014 happens April 23 - 27 in Ashville, NC. The festival has just announced its initial line-up which includes: Kraftwerk 3D (playing three concerts), Chic featuring Nile Rodgers, Giorgio Moroder, Laurie Anderson, Dan Deacon, Darkstar, Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks, Adult, Le1f, Shigeto, Wolf Eyes, Les Sins (Chaz Bundick of Toro y Moi), and more. The full list of initial artists is below, with more than 70 more to be announced. There are showcases being put on by the likes of DFA, Fool's Gold, Ghostly Intl, Warp and more.
Laurie Anderson and Giorgio Moroder are also part of Moogfest's previously announced daytime talks and seminars program, that also includes such artists as film composer Cliff Martinez (Drive), Emerson Lake & Palmer keyboardist Keith Emerson, Claire Evans from YACHT, and synthesizer innovators like Roger Linn and Tom Oberheim.
Tickets are on sale now. 2014 Moogfest initial performer list and poster below...
Warm Up at MoMA PS1 continues this Saturday (8/31) with Cajmere (who also plays an Electric Zoo afterparty), Liars (live), IO Echo (live), Jon Hopkins (who also plays Cameo afterwards), and Sam Valentin IV. Tickets for this Saturday are still available.
The final Warm Up, which happens on September 7, is still listed as TBA on MoMA PS1's site, but it's been revealed that Boston dance duo Soul Clap are at least one of the performers for that day. Tickets for the 9/7 show are available.
Soul Clap (not to be confused with Jonathan Toubin's dance-off party of the same name) are currently in Black Rock City, NV for Burning Man with Wolf + Lamb and The Beach Club All-Stars. They played all of last night (8/27) into this morning, and will play again at sunrise on Thursday (8/29), sunrise on Friday, all-nite Friday into Saturday, sunrise on Sunday, and late afternoon on Sunday. More info here.
Soul Clap play NYC a lot, and in addition to Warm Up on September 7, they'll also play The Parisian Ball on Governors Island (9/7) that same day with DJ W!ld, Dario Zenker, Elon, and Arman Nafeei. Tickets for that are on sale now.
All Soul Clap dates are listed, along with a stream, below...
Soul Clap Dance-Off contestants...
The Soul Clap & Dance-Off parties/competitions are going on the road with DJ Jonathan Toubin via the Brooklyn Brewery Mash Tour traveling arts festival. Taking place over the course of 2013, winners of each cities' Dance-Off get $100 plus they'll be flown to NYC to compete in the national championship which happens January, 18 2014 at Brooklyn Bowl. The NYC branch of the competition takes place on March 23, 2013 at Brooklyn Bowl and, since there's no travel part to the prize, the local winner gets $500.
Then next month, Toubin is going to do something he almost never does. Play the hits:
YOU PROBABLY HAVE NEVER HEARD YOUR FAVORITE RECORDS! For real! Teams of specialists recorded, mastered, and pressed songs to sound amazing with painstaking deliberateness. Over the years these original 45s have been remastered for CD, mp3, and even record - losing their rich dynamic qualities and becoming another animal entirely - sounding nothing like what the artists', producers', and engineers' original intentions. But tonight you have an opportunity to dance to your favorite tracks in their purest state - the original mix undigitized and uncompressed. This is not audiophile mumbo jumbo - you are not likely to recover from hearing your favorite songs on the ultimate sonic medium through Bowery Ballroom's first-class sound system. And like good wine, you won't go back to the bad stuff once you've had a taste. - Jonathan ToubinJonathan Toubin, acknowledged crate-digger and champion of obscure soul 45s, will be playing the hits at Bowery Ballroom on March 28. Tickets for this rare chance to hear him play songs most people know go on sale Friday (3/1) at noon.
Jonathan will also be all over Austin for SXSW. His SXSW schedule and all Soul Clap & Dance-Off tour dates are listed below...
Jonathan Toubin at NXNE 2012 (more by David Andrako)
As usual, DJ Jonathan Toubin has a busy schedule with a bunch of events in NYC, including some this weekend. Tonight, he DJs a Shakin' All Over Under Sideways Down party at Home Sweet Home (11/16) with "Action Pat" Griffin. That party runs from 10:30 PM to 4 AM. Admission is free before 11 and after 3 AM, and otherwise $5. Then on Saturday (11/17) at Brooklyn Bowl, he'll DJ his Soul Clap party which starts at 11:30 PM. The Dance-Off begins at 1 AM with DJ David Johansen (of New York Dolls). Advance tickets for that one are on sale now.
Finally on Sunday (11/18), Jonathan will wrap up his weekend with an early party, if you want to call it that, at Brooklyn Bowl, which will be a record cleaning party for Norton Records, who suffered many damages during Hurricane Sandy. Doors open at noon:
Help Norton Records save their inventory from Hurricane Sandy damage while you listen to NYC's finest DJs! This is gonna be good times for a good cause. Fall by to listen, dance, and clean records! Also I heard tell that Norton will be bringing limited stock of their upcoming releases for you to own before the rest of the world! Learn more about Norton, their catastrophe, and what you can do to help here on the Norton Records site.Picnic tables will be set up and those in attendance will literally be cleaning the many records that were damaged during Hurricane Sandy while DJs spin.
Jonathan has other shows coming up this month and next, including more at Home Sweet Home (11/23 and 11/30) and Brooklyn Bowl (12/15). All upcoming dates are listed below...
Iceage at Pitchfork 2012 (more by Fred Pessaro // BBG)
TODAY IN NYC
* Prurient @ Saint Vitus
* Howard Fishman @ Joe's Pub
* Smokey's Secret Family @ Barbes
* Geri Allen, John Zorn @ The Stone
* Roots Family Reunion @ Littlefield
* Amber Martin, Lost Lockets @ Joe's Pub
* Bubbles, TEEN, Test House @ Union Pool
* Emily Mandell w/ The Lola Quartet @ Barbes
* Superhuman Happiness, Smoota @ Zebulon
* Dent May, The Babies, Levek @ Glasslands
* Field Report, Sean Rowe @ Mercury Lounge
* Feathers (DJ), Midnight Magic (DJ) @ Cameo
* Carla Brothers & Treasure Tower @ The Stone
* No Code (Pearl Jam tribute) @ Aboard The Jewel
* Dick Dale, The Lyres, Twin Guns @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Iceage, Nomad, Bortgang, Sad Boys @ 285 Kent Ave
* The Dearloves, Eastern Hollows, Mr Tough @ Cameo
* Chief, HITS, Dirty Names, Single Red Cent @ Pianos
* Shonen Knife, White Mystery, Flown @ The Bell House
* Mike Scheidt, Nate Hall, Kevin Hufnagel @ Saint Vitus
* Sleigh Bells, Jel, Mr. Dream @ Hudson River Park Pier
* Soul Clap and Dance Off w/ Jonathan Toubin @ Glasslands
* Queening, Mayor Daley, Florida, Suntalk, Libel @ Cake Shop
* Willis Earl Beal, Krystle Warren @ Weeksville Heritage Center
* Field Mouse, Firehorse, Hallelujah the Hills @ Mercury Lounge
* Shark?, Turf War, Sleeping Bags, Radical Dads @ Death By Audio
* Sepalcure, Machinedrum, Liturgy, White Ring, mikeQ @ 171 Lombardy
* Quiet Loudly, Backwords, Miniboone, EULA @ Big Snow Buffalo Lodge
* Laurel Halo, Pete Swanson, Noveller, Burning Star Core @ Public Assembly
* Dum Dum Girls, Widowspeak, Fingers On The Pulse (DJ Set) @ House of Vans
* Rebecca Gates & The Consortium, Verpluscott, Glass Anchors @ The Rock Shop
* Bebel Gilberto / Criolo / Flávio Renegado / Béco Dranoff (Dj) @ Summerstage Central Park
* Matthew Dear (DJ set), Sepalcure, LE1F, MikeQ, JDH and Dave P(Warm Up) @ MoMA PS1
* River City Extension, Gold Motel, Laura Stevenson & The Cans, Brick & Mortar @ Bowery Ballroom
* This Way, Union Street Preservation Society, Seth Kessel and The Two Cent Jazz Band @ Union Hall
* 808 State, N-JOI, Joey Beltram, Altern 8, F.R.D., Soul Slinger, Alex English @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
Tonight is the first of two NYC shows for Iceage.
Mike Scheidt of YOB, Nate Hall of US Christmas, and Kevin Hufnagel of Dysrhythmia will gather for an acoustic show at Saint Vitus tonight, followed by noise terrorism from Prurient in that same venue right afterwords.
The Spy Music Festival is still ongoing.
Tonight is the last-ever Soul Clap Dance-Off at Glasslands. Flyer is below. Fear not: Jonathan Toubin's party moves to Brooklyn Bowl in a couple weeks.
Follow Brooklynvegan on Instagram.
If you missed it, Trash Talk comes to NYC to play a FREE show on Thursday night.
"The Snow Ball Music Festival [in 2011] was chill, in more ways than one. Besides the expected below freezing temperatures Avon gets in early March, the atmosphere of the festival and attitude of the attendees were very relaxed. The tents were set up on snow instead of concrete, and so dancing the first night was no small fete as everyone was slipping on the ice. By the end of the weekend, any movement at all was unpleasant as people were standing in puddles of water, beer, and probably some bodily fluids or stuck to the ground in thick mud. The crowd left their clubbing attire at home and sported their neon ski coats instead as they drifted through the clouds of cigarette and marijuana smoke. Despite the cold weather and the impossible dance floor, most importantly, the music was good." [cause=time]The SnowBall Music Festival, for people not afraid to watch bands playing outside in freezing temperatures ("We recommend that you come prepared for snow and winter conditions. Temperatures are expected to be in the low 40° range during the day and in the teens at night. Please dress accordingly."), is returning to Vail Valley in Avon, CO from March 2 - 4, 2012. This year's lineup includes Big Boi, Big Freedia, Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. (who just announced a Bowery Ballroom show), Deer Tick, Gauntlet Hair, Major Lazer, TV on the Radio, Thundercat, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, and others (listed below)
Current lineup below...