Entries tagged with: Summerscreen
"You are such a pushover Agent PW"
Summer is coming, and with that the outdoor film/music series SummerScreen at McCarren Park at Bedford Ave. and N.12th S (right next to the tennis courts). So far the musical portion (which will be curated by Todd P / Showpaper) has yet to be announced, but the films have:
July 10That "audience pick" is being voted on via Facebook. The Big Lebowski is currently in the lead, beating out Mallrats, The Neverending Story, High Fidelity, The Breakfast Club, Heathers, and Scream (please make that happen).
Can't Hardly Wait
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Hot Chip at Pitchfork Festival Chicago (more by Fred Pessaro)
today in NYC
* Nate Radley @ Barbes
* Railbird @ Pete's Candy Store
* Bakurocho Band @ XPO 929
* Refused, OFF! @ Europa
* Forro in the Dark @ Nublu
* Electric Six, Romans @ Maxwell's
* Refused, OFF! @ Williamsburg Park CANCELLED
* The Mandingo Ambassadors @ Barbes
* Beach Arabs, Abby Rock @ Cameo Gallery
* Yonder Mountain String Band @ Brooklyn Bowl
* The Dunwells, Sahara Smith @ Mercury Lounge
* MNDR, Javelin, Delicate Steve, Red Baraat @ Intrepid CANCELLED
* Big Daddy Kane, Marley Marl @ Queensbridge Park CANCELLED
* Leela James and the Family Stone @ Highline Ballroom
* Burnt Sugar the Arkestra Chamber @ The Stone
* Hot Chip, Gang Gang Dance @ Prospect Park Bandshell
* JEFF The Brotherhood, Fuck Ton @ Santos Party House
* Lotus Plaza, Ape School, Hollow Stars @ Mercury Lounge
* Clare & the Reasons, Michael Hearst @ Le Poisson Rouge
* Sontag Shogun, Maica Mia, Liam Singer, Buris @ Zebulon
* Telepathe, Feathers, Eraas, Faith (DJ set) @ Glasslands
* Woodpecker, Osei Essed, Food Will Win the War @ Union Hall
* Blonds, Fly Golden Eagle, Busy Busy Busy @ Knitting Factory
* Pale Lights, Orca Team, Woolen Men, Lame Drivers @ Cake Shop
* Pyrrhon, Sons of Tonatiuh, Cousin Sleaze, Forced @ Saint Vitus
* Big Daddy Kane, EPMD, Chubb Rock, Marley Marl & DJ Scratch @ BB Kings
* Girl in a Coma, The Black Box Revelation, Deadbeat Darling @ Bowery Ballroom
* Everclear, Sugar Ray, Gin Blossoms, Lit, Marcy Playground @ Roseland Ballroom
* The Tony Castles, The Disappointments, Bottom Dollars, Early Ape @ Bowery Electric
* NinjaSonik, Unstoppable Death Machines, Team Spirit, Secret Music @ Public Assembly
JEFF the Brotherhood played The Late Show with David Letterman last night and you can watch video of that below. Don't miss them at Santos tonight! Free show! No RSVP, all ages, and inside.
Tonight's Summerscreen show with Talk Normal, Tim Harrington, Dustin Wong and a screening of the Coen Brothers classic Raising Arizona at McCarren Park has been called off due to rain.
The Intrepid show is also postponed.
The Spy Music Festival is still ongoing.
Stream a new track from Sabbath Assembly's new album, Ye Are Gods, set for release on September 21 through The Ajna Offensive (for North America) and Svart Records (for Europe and the UK).
Shut Up and Play the Hits, the LCD Soundsystem documentary, begins screenings today! (And basically only today.) Theaters are dry!
Here's an interesting article that cites Chris Corry's (Mind Eraser/Magic Circle/etc) 100 favorite NYHC bands.
Follow Brooklynvegan on Instagram.
We're throwing a photo show at 92YTribeca in August.
Tonight is the first of two NYC shows for Lotus Plaza.
DOWNLOAD: Talk Normal - Bad Date (MP3)
We just mentioned that Talk Normal have been added to the August 16 Deep Time show at 285 Kent. Before that, they'll also play Summerscreen in McCarren Park on July 18 with Dustin Wong and Tim Harrington before a screening of Raising Arizona.
They recently announced that their new album, Sunshine, will be out October 23 via Joyful Noise, their first album in three years. From the sounds of "Bad Date," the first taste we've gotten from the record, it doesn't seem like they've mellowed. Grab the MP3 of the track at the top of this post. A video trailer for the album is below, along with the tracklist.
The L Magazine's Summerscreen series, which presents free movies and music in McCarren Park, already announced this season's slate of films. Today Summerscreen announced the bands that will play before the screenings as curated by Todd P on behalf of Showpaper. This Wednesday (7/11) is the first one of the year, with 1999's Cruel Intentions paired with the sounds of Colin L. Orchestra and Indian Jewelry.
Summerscreen happens at N 12th @ Bedford Ave. Doors to the park open at 6:00pm, bands go on at 6:30pm, and films start at 8:15pm. Food and drink will be available.
The rest of the schedule is below...
Popular Williamsburg outtdoor film (and music) series Summerscreen is back for another season in McCarren Park, put on by the good folks at The L Magazine. Bands haven't been announced yet, but the films have. Here's the schedule:
photos by Andrew St. Clair
Twin Sister @ Summerscreen - 7/27
As mentioned in This Week in Indie, Twin Sister debuted the music video for "Bad Street" at McCarren Park last night (7/27) during their free Summerscreen show which was accompanied by a screening of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. The track is off their upcoming album In Heaven, which you can pre-order at Domino. The video is now out, and you can check it out along with the In Heaven album art and more pictures from the Summerscreen show, which they played with Your Youth, below.
Twin Sister will go on a tour in September and October supporting the album including dates with Explosions in the Sky, with Wild Beasts, and with The Pains of Being Pure at Heart. Twin Sister don't share a bill with any of those bands in NYC, but they do play their own record release show at Mercury Lounge on September 29. Tickets for that show go on sale Friday (7/29) at noon.
All dates, pictures, and video below...
Twin Sister at ACL Live (more by Tim Griffin)
As some of you may know, in addition to screening free movies, the L Magazine-presented Summerscreen series in McCarren Park also features a live performance by a band each night before the film plays. On July 27, before Ferris Bueller's Day Off is screened, Twin Sister and Your Youth will play free sets at the outdoor Brooklyn venue. The Wednesday night shows happen in the Ballfields (Bedford and North 12th) from around 6pm-10pm.
Other bands playing at Summerscreen this summer include Widowspeak, Zambri, Milagres, and Yellow Dogs. The Wayne's World screening, originally scheduled for July 13, was rained out and is rescheduled for August 17 with Yellow Dogs.
Twin Sister meanwhile are in Chicago this weekend to play the Pitchfork Festival, and have upcoming dates scheduled with Explosions in the Sky, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Purity Ring, and others.
Updated schedule and dates below...
Take the comforter off your bed and pack a picnic of Fritos and brie, SummerScreen presented by EPIX and The L Magazine is back for a sixth year. Every Wednesday for six weeks we're taking over the ballfields at McCarren Park to bring you a night of good music, great food and drink, and, when the sun goes down, we'll play one of the greatest movies ever made (that's not an opinion, these movies really are the greatest movies ever made). The best part? It's still completely FREE to attend. All you have to do is bring something to sit on.Brooklyn Bridge Park also hosts free outdoor movies this summer.
We're proud to introduce this year's lineup:
July 6 - Friday
July 13 - Wayne's World
July 20 - Ghost World
July 27 - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
August 3 - Clueless
August 10 - Jurassic Park
August 17 - Rain Date
August 24 - Rain Date
So have you found something to sit on yet? You have less than two months, so make it a priority. Until then, cinephiles, we'll be stealing our Dads' Ferrari, searching for a cane with a mosquito fossilized in amber at the tip, and trying to get Marky Mark to plant a celebrity tree.
The schedule for this year's "SummerScreen" series of free films in McCarren Park is out. Films this year, which screen on Wednesday nights in July and August, include the Neil Young-scored Dead Man, and the David Bowie-starring Labyrinth.
The series, which started in McCarren Pool (RIP) in 2006, is in its fifth year, and now takes place in the McCarren Park Ballfields (corner of Bedford and North 12th). More info and the full schedule is below...
the Rooftop Films opening on May 15th (more by Ryan Muir)
Hudson River Park's Take Me to the River '09 will present RiverFlicks, which shows movies for "adults" on Wednesdays starting on July 8th and films for kids on Fridays starting July 10th. That film series accompanies the park's RiverRocks shows. Bands appearing at RiverRocks include Yeasayer, Ted Leo, Matt & Kim, Radio 4 and Extra Golden.
The SummerScreen series, which ran last year in McCarren Park Pool, returns this year, but in the McCarren Park ball fields. Those films run Wednesdays starting July 8th. Movies include Fame, Reality Bites, and Evil Dead 2.
Bryant Park Summer Film Festival screens films on Mondays starting June 15th. Brooklyn Bridge Park's Movies With A View series kicks off July 9th and runs every Thursday through August.
All the above-mentioned events (barring Rooftop Films) are free and open to the public. All lineups and locations below...
dude in Hot Chip glow in the dark Threadless shirt +
The Faint @ Terminal 5, NYC (more by Ryan Muir)
today in NYC
* FREE SHOWS
* Ra Ra Riot @ Virgin Megastore
* Laura Cantrell @ Spiegeltent ++
* Best Friends Forever @ The Tank
* Jaguar Love & the King Left @ Southpaw
* Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson @ Joe's Pub
* The Walkmen & The Muslims @ Bowery Ballroom
* Velvet Goldmine (Summerscreen movie) @ McCarren Pool
* "Chris Dave & Friends with Special Guest Mos Def" @ Highline Ballroom
+ You can win the pictured Hot Chip t-shirt, a $50 Threadless gift certificate and "Made in the Dark" on vinyl by emailing BVCONTESTS@HOTMAIL.COM (subject: hot chip). One winner will be picked at random and contacted (courtesy of Threadless Loves Drawing).
You can win a pair of tickets to tonight's Southpaw show by emailing BVCONTESTS@HOTMAIL.COM (subject: Southpaw). Include your first and last name. One winner will be picked at random and contacted ASAP. The King Left play before Jaguar Love.
Tonight's free movie at McCarren Pool is Velvet Goldmine. Next week's free movie is Rushmore. Before Rushmore there will be a set of music by the band The King Left.
++ Joining Laura Cantrell at Spiegeltent tonight will be: "Megan Hickey of Last Town Chorus, Fiona McBain of Ollabelle, New Orleans' Theresa Andersson, and the acclaimed instrumentalist and singer Jenny Scheinman. Rounding out the evening will be a special appearance by Rodney Crowell."
A video of Amanda Palmer doing video karaoke to "Girls Just Want To Have Fun", below..
Joe Lo Truglio, Michael Showalter, Paul Rudd @ McCarren P - July 8 (Adam Au)
Wet Hot American Summer @ McCarren Pool - July 8, 2008 (Adam Au - L Mag)
today in NYC
* FREE STUFF
* Dave Chapelle
* The Vaselines @ Maxwell's
* Gelmania (comedy) @ Rififi *
* Barbes does Brooklyn Bridge
* At the Gates @ Irving Plaza
* Fleet Foxes @ Bowery Ballroom
* The Real Tuesday Weld @ Joe's Pub
* Albert Hammond Jr @ Hiro Ballroom
* "KCRW presents" @ Knitting Factory +
* Feist & Juana Molina @ Prospect Park
* The Avett Brothers @ Stuyvesant High School
* Alejandro Escovedo & AA Bondy @ Highline Ballroom
* Gelmania features Pete Holmes, David Rakoff, Eugene Mirman, Kurt Braunohler , Noah Garfinkle, Nick Kroll, Larry Murphy, Laura Kraft, Julie Klausner and Dave Hill. 8pm. $5.
+ KCRW's Knitting Factory lineup is Little Jackie, Tally Hall and Salt & Samovar. +
The new Vines album is streaming at MySpace.
Sweaty music find could help develop new treatments
July 8: Rushmore
July 15: The Virgin Suicides
July 22: Wet Hot American Summer
July 29: Desperately Seeking Susan
August 5: Mean Streets
August 12: 28 Days Later
August 19: Velvet Goldmine
August 26: Blue Velvet