Entries tagged with: Teengirl Fantasy
The Rural Alberta Advantage @ Bowery in Oct (more by Oren Loloi)
tonight in NYC
* Alice Smith @ Joe's Pub
* Akoya Afrobeat @ Southpaw
* Tyshawn Sorey @ The Stone
* Falu, Red Baraat @ Joe's Pub
* City and Colour @ Webster Hall
* Richie Havens, John Gorka @ Joe's Pub
* Soft Black, Rope, Precinct @ Union Hall
* Hull & Goes Cube @ Production Lounge
* Daebashish Bhattacharya @ WFC Winter Garden
* NYC Winter Jazz Fest @ LPR, Kenny's Castaways, Zinc Bar
* Holy Ghost! (DJ), Classixx, Shuttle @ Webster Hall
* La Otracina, Velcro Lewis, Heavy Hands @ Union Pool
* The Dutchess & The Duke, Medication @ Mercury Lounge
* Ex-Humans, Natural Child, Bosco Delrey, K-Holes @ Don Pedro
* Teengirl Fantasy, Blondes, Light Asylum @ Monster Island Basement
* Animal Collective (DJ), Fischerspooner (DJ), Activaire DJs @ AMNH
* Passion Pit, The Rural Alberta Advantage, The Joy Formidable @ Terminal 5
* Violent Soho, Right on Dynamite, The Royal Chains @ Studio at Webster Hall
* Starscream, Anamanaguchi, The Crayons, Radiates @ Knitting Factory Brooklyn
* My Teenage Stride, Campo Formio, Subtle Turnhips, Electricians @ Silent Barn
* Peg Simone, Wrekmeister Harmonies, MV Carbon & Zach Layton @ Issue Project Room
* GDFX, Prince Rama of Ayodhya, Invisible Circle, Shit Knife, Glam Hammer @ Shea Stadium
* King Django, The Equalibrians, The Forthrights, Royal City Riot, The Hard Times @ Bushwick Music Studios
* McCoy Tyner Trio & Gary Bartz, Francisco Mela's Cuban Safari, Jon Batiste Band, Alfredo Rodriguez @ Highline Ballroom
Midnite Till Death brings Ex-Humans, Natural Child, Bosco Delrey and K-Holes to Don Pedro. Flyer below.
Passion Pit play the first of three shows at Terminal 5 tonight. Rural Alberta Advantage open, then play two sets in one night at Mercury Lounge on Saturday.
NYC Winter Jazz Festival runs at five Village venues today and tomorrow. Tonight's music includes "big band" jazz from Darcy James Argue's Secret Society and heavy improv from Jamie Saft's Whoopie Pie. Outside of that, there's still jazz royalty McCoy Tyner at Highline Ballroom. And quartet Mostly Other People Do the Killing (trumpeter Peter Evans, saxist Jon Irabagon, bassist Moppa Elliot and Talibam's Kevin Shea on drums - is at Zebulon. Jon & Kevin are back at Zeb on Monday as "Jon Irabagon's One-Song Rollins Tribute Trio."
Teengirl Fantasy is at Monster Island. Flyer below. They also play Pianos on January 14th.
Julian Casablancas played "Out Of The Blue" on Letterman Wednesday night. Video below. He plays Terminal 5 on January 14th and 15th.
Au Revoir Simone performed an a cappella rendition of Kylie Minogue's biggest hit at Highline Ballroom with Alexa Wilding and Elizabeth Harper of Class Actress last night. Video below...
Cale Parks @ Bowery Ballroom 2/4 (more by Leia Jospe)
Filter: What were the inspirations (both musical and non-musical) for your first EP, To Swift Mars?"One at a Time" off of Parks's new Polyvinyl EP is posted above. Check out the tracklist and album art below.
Cale Parks: Musical inspirations include the Yamaha DX7 synth, Roland 707, and Roland 505 sounds, as well as albums by The Durutti Column, Harmonia, Cocteau Twins, Peter Gabriel and anything on the Sincerely Yours label.
Non-musical influences includes the ways in which we imagined a world of the future, The Lost Boys, The Neverending Story, and poverty.
F: Who are you touring with in the upcoming months?
CP: I'm touring with a fantastic band called Lemonade. I'm really, really excited for it. They're such a high energy group live that there may be some onstage jamming, yes. I look forward to the invitation.
F: As a classically trained musician, have you found it easier or more difficult to craft your music for fan acceptance?
CP: This is a difficult question to answer. I guess that some things have come easier, in terms of knowing what type of chords should go after each other, or what notes to put where, that type of thing, but the general vibe of the music is something people are either going to like or dislike. People like what they like, but in some cases they like what they think they should like.
As he said above, Parks will join electro-pop group Lemonade on a somewhat short tour that kicks off Tuesday, August 18th in NYC at Santos Party House. Also on the bill are Dinowalrus, Teengirl Fantasy, and JDH & Dave P of FIXED. Tickets are on sale.
Lemonade recently remixed the title track of Faunts' 2009 album Feel.Love.Thinking.Of, which is posted above with another remix from BK's Home Video. Lemonade have a new music video directed by collective Weird Days, for their song "Big Weekend." That with all tour dates and Cale Parks EP info is below...
DOWNLOAD: Tyvek - Air Conditioner (MP3)
2NITE's shows @ MARKET HOTEL will definitely feature a huge, awesome, new soundsystem & probably (presuming the installation today goes as scheduled...) AIR CONDITIONING!!!! waiting on some variables for the a/c to happen, but cross your fingers! -Todd PThe shows (plural) Todd is referring to are Oneida (early) and Extreme Animals (late). Tyvek is not playing Market Hotel, but they should because they sing about an air conditioner and also happen to be in town (with Coconut Coolouts and Personal and the Pizzas). Full Market Hotel lineups below...
by Andrew Frisicano
DOWNLOAD: Kurt Vile - Overnite Religion (MP3)
Kurt Vile will be playing a Rooftop Films event on July 31st. There he'll ditch his backing band the Violators for a performance before a screening of the documentary on the film Troll 2, "the legendary worst movie ever made, according to IMDB ratings."
That flick is such an event, Rooftop Films decided to stretch it over two nights. On July 30th they will show the actual film, accompanied by a performance from The Drums (one of many upcoming shows from that band, who also played last night at the Bell House). Other bands with Rooftop Films shows scheduled include Stars Like Fleas and Teengirl Fantasy. Full schedule below.
Vile (with the Violators on hand) just played the first of several upcoming shows with Blues Control (who announced more fall dates, below) at Bruar Falls on July 17th. Blues Control's distorted wall of sound worked well through the club's cozy sound system, but the arsenal of the Violators maybe pushed the backline a little too far. Lyrics and flourishes that came through crystal clear at Broadway Backyard (where he played one of my favorite sets of the day) roared out as energetic albeit indeterminate gestures. Not quite as engaging, considering many of the songs still aren't out in recorded form.
Vile's Matador debut, Childish Prodigy, is still on the way. Check out mellow jam "Overnite Religion" off that, above. The full Rooftop Films schedule, with all Kurt Vile and Blues Control tour dates, and the Troll 2 trailer, below...
Sunday June 14th @ FORT TILDEN BEACHSchedule (subject to change) below...
:: FREE ALL AGES UNAMPLIFIED ACOUSTIC BBQ 2009
:: each year we throw an informal, quiet party in a beautiful public place, w/
:: many diverse musicians playing two or three songs w/ no amplification
:: this year, it's on Fort Tilden Beach in the Rockways! best beach in NYC! [Todd P]
Girl Talk fans @ last night's show @ Hiro Ballroom (more by Paul Birman)
tonight in NYC
* Cake @ Terminal 5
* Zap Mama @ Joe's Pub
* The Radiators @ BB King's
* Mountain Jam in Hunter, NY
* Secret Chiefs 3, Kayo Dot @ Maxwell's
* New York Ukulele Festival @ Baruch College
* Grizzly Bear, Here We Go Magic @ Town Hall
* Mae, Barcelona, Person L @ Gramercy Theatre
* Rooftop Films w/ Javelin @ New Design High School
* Chase the Devil: Gary Lucas & Dean Bowman @ BAMcafe
* X, Steve Soto & The Twisted Hearts @ Bowery Ballroom
* Fursaxa and Mary Lattimore, Paul Metzger @ The Stone
* Awesome Tapes From Africa, Teengirl Fantasy @ 92YTribeca
* Grant Hart, Grass Widow, Querent, Stupid Party @ Cake Shop
* Team Robespierre, A.R.E. Weapons @ The Studio at Webster Hall
* Acoustic Cash IX w/ Rosanne Cash & Marc Cohn @ Rubin Museum of Art
* Undiscovered Islands w/ Missy Mazzoli, William Brittelle @ Galapagos
* Willie Mae-Ra-Thon w/ Sex Mob, Burnt Sugar, Secretary @ Public Assembly
* Tyvek, The Gutsies, James Ausfahrt (of Love Is All, Still Flyin) @ Bruar Falls
* Au Revoir Simone, The Antlers, Sophia (from Lights) @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Willie Mae-Ra-Thon w/ Wild Yaks, Hexa, Lady Magma, Beluga @ Monster Island
* Rural Alberta Advantage, La Strada, Chris Mills, The Black Hollies @ The Bell House
* Girls Girls Girls, Misstallica, Rodney Speed Experience, Queen Diamond @ Merc
* Wordless Music w/ Wolfgang Voigt's Gas Live, Contact performing Brian Eno's Discreet Music @ Miller Theatre at Columbia
* Ed Schraeder, Height, Dj Dog Dick, The Creepers, Santa Dads, Teenage Souls, Lesser Gonzalez Alvarez @ Death By Audio
The Wordless Music Show tonight is "The U.S. premiere of Wolfgang Voigt's legendary ambient GAS project, with an opening set by Toronto's CONTACT Contemporary Music Ensemble, performing a rare live/chamber version of Brian Eno's complete 1975 classic Discreet Music (CONTACT)."
Roosevelt Live music series, on Roosevelt Island, hosts its first musical act of the summer with a Bluegrass Festival featuring Alex Battlesof The Whiskey Rebellion on Saturday.
Secret Chiefs 3 are also playing Brooklyn on Saturday.
Mutek is happening in Montreal.
BKLYN YARD is open for its second week.
A whole bunch of shows recently went on sale.
Jay Leno's final episode hosting the Tonight show is TONIGHT. Conan O'Brien and James Taylor will be his guests. Prince performed last night. Check out that video below...
photos by Chris La Putt
Bell @ Mercury Lounge April 27th, 2009
Bell is playing a "Sound Fix Presents" Northside Fest show, not AT Sound Fix which no longer hosts live music, but at Berry Park - on Saturday, June 13th with Death Vessel, Arrington De Dionyso (Old Time Relijun), Teengirl Fantasy and Weekends. Either a Northside badge or $10 at the doors, which open at 8pm, will get you in.
Death Vessel, who is also on the Sound Fix bill for June 13th at Berry Park, has a show at the Bell House with Grant Hart (ex-Husker Du) coming up on June 1st.
The above and below pictures of Bell are from her Monday, April 27th show at the Mercury Lounge with Bowerbirds, Lost in the Trees and La Strada. Photos of those bands were previously posted. The rest of the Bell pictures below...
photos by Lauren Monaco
"Instead of having some form of a spring weekend like a lot of schools, NYU instead holds an event every year that has us celebrating... well, umm, strawberries.The bands were White Rabbits, Motel Motel, Golden Triangle, Teengirl Fantasy, and We Are The Arm. More pictures from Friday's fest below...
Maybe us hipsters should count our blessings. My friends at Penn State got a performance from Asher Roth. Coincidentally, my friends from Penn State generally enjoy college, drinking, women, and college. On second thought, it was a perfect fit.
Anyway, for the past 25 years or so, NYU has picked out a spring day, sectioned off a block or so, closed it off from traffic, and relentlessly force-fed unsuspecting students with several tons of strawberries. It's an experience, if only to check out/devour "NYC's Largest Strawberry Shortcake."
White Rabbits, Motel Motel, Golden Triangle, Teengirl Fantasy, and We Are The Arm are playing a free, afternoon show on Friday, May 1st. Details below...
Teengirl Fantasy (photo by josh sisk)
You don't hear too much from Celebration lately. Well, not totally true. The Baltimore band, known for being tight with Brooklyn's TV on the Radio, are credited as collborators on the new Holly Miranda album that was co-produced by TV on the Radio's Dave Sitek. And this Saturday night, February 21st, Celebration plays a Brooklyn show at Glasslands - the very venue members of TV on the Radio have turned up to play with their side projects in the last few weeks. TV on the Radio also have a NYC show coming up. Holly Miranda has a couple too.
Sound Fix Records, the venue, is not long for this world. Upcoming free shows there include a Friday night (tonight) performance by The Forms, and a Saturday one by Howlies. Tonight's Forms show, presented by Guilt by Association, also doubles as a Sound Fix benefit show, so look for the tip jar as its being passed around. Howlies' record "Trippin With Howlies" is out now. That is the occasion they'll be celebrating when they come back to town to play Death By Audio on February 26th.
Telepathe have been added to the Ladytron and Faint tour in April. That means they'll be playing Webster Hall on the 10th and 11th of that month. No need to wait that long though. In addition to some shows at SXSW in March, you can catch Telepathe twice in NYC this weekend, courtesy of Todd P. Tonight, February 20th, the show is at Market Hotel with These Are Powers, Teengirl Fantay, Soft Circle and Katie Eastburn. Saturday they play with Teengirl Fantasy, Hawnay Troof, and Silk Flowers at 92Y Tribeca. Todd P says...
Especially excited about the 2 shows this weekend featuring TEENGIRL FANTASY from Oberlin, Ohio. Teengirl Fantasy, aka Logan Takahashi and Nick Weiss, are two young guys currently attending Oberlin College, together they make drum machine and sampler heavy dance music that steals as much from the underground noise scene as it does from the dance world. Teengirl Fantasy smash those influences to make transcendently catchy adrenaline anthems that get everyone dancing.Teengirl Fantasy remixed one of Telepathe's songs. Listen to it in the video below...