Entries tagged with: Thieving Irons
PS I Love You at Mercury Lounge in 2011 (more by Chris La Putt)
Canadian indie rockers PS I Love You released their sophomore LP, Death Dreams, earlier this year and have been touring in support of it. They were already in NYC when their tour with Army Girls passed through in May, and again for CBGB Fest. The band -- now a trio with a bassist/keyboardist who gives them added umph -- are scheduled to come back for a show at Glasslands on November 17 with Brooklyn's The Echo Friendly. Tickets for that show are on sale now. It's their only scheduled US show at the moment, but they've got some other upcoming dates in their home country including POP Montreal.
The Echo Friendly also play Mercury Lounge on Tuesday (9/18) with Thieving Irons. Tickets for that show are available.
A list of all currently known dates and PS I Love You's video for "Princess Towers" is below...
"there are certain emotions in your body that not even your best friend can sympathize with , but you will find the right film or the right book , and it will understand you . "- Bjork
today in NYC
* stuff @ Barbes
* Whiplash @ UCB
* Jay-Z @ Carnegie Hall
* Howlin Rain @ Living Room
* Cate Le Bon @ Other Music
* Bjork @ New York Hall Of Science
* Nikolista, Lovebomb 69 @ Europa
* Commercial Interruption @ UCB
* Ted Leo hosts Hot Tub @ Littlefield
* Gotye, Sea of Bees @ Bowery Ballroom
* Jacques Labouchere @ Knitting Factory
* The Darkness, Foxy Shazam @ Irving Plaza
* Summer Camp, Field Mouse @ Mercury Lounge
* Thieving Irons, Bandana Splits @ The Rock Shop
* Comedy Central Corporate Retreat @ UCB East
* The Warsaw Village Band @ Le Poisson Rouge
* An Evening with Tom Kalin & Doveman @ MoMA
* Reverend Vince Anderson & His Love Choir @ Union Pool
* Mirah, blair, Wrest, DJ Emoticon @ Glasslands Gallery
* Steve Earle, Allison Moorer, The Dust Busters @ City Winery
* "Harsh Realm", The Babies, Punks on Mars @ Cake Shop
* Dan Neustadt plays Radiohead's "OK Computer" @ Knitting Factory
* The Lighthouse and The Whaler, Ravens & Chimes @ Mercury Lounge
* Reptar, Fort Lean, Tiny Victories, Casual Curious @ Shea Stadium
* Behold... The Arctopus, Seabrook Power Plant, Normal Love @ Death By Audio
* Tony Scherr Trio, Anton Fier, Rob Jost, Jim Campilongo Electric Trio, Stephan Crump, Tony Mason @ Living Room
Thieving Irons (ex Pela) plays The Rock Shop every Monday in February, including tonight with Bandana Splits (featuring Dawn Landes).
Jay-Z's super expensive Carnegie Hall shows are not sold out.
Colin Quinn, Chris Gethard, Myq Kaplan, Dan St Germain, Joe Mande & Hari Kondabolu will all be at Whiplash tonight.
Dominick Fernow of Cold Cave (and other projects) curated Feb 1-15 at The Stone.
Be our friend on Facebook.
Follow @BrooklynVegan on Twitter.
Also follow @bvAustin for just Austin stuff.
SXSW is coming. Follow @bvSXSW on twitter too.
photos by Jessica Amaya
DOWNLOAD: Ravens & Chimes - Division St (MP3)
It should be no surprise that Elvis Perkins joined Diamond Doves on stage at their CMJ show at The Rock Shop on Tuesday night. As Dearland, they are his backing band. Catch them together again when Elvis Perkins and Dearland opens for My Morning Jacket at Terminal 5 tonight (10/21).
Diamond Doves played 2nd on that Brooklyn bill, after Ravens & Chimes (new song above), and before Thieving Irons (ex-Pela), and headliners the Barr Brothers (members of the Slip). More pictures, dates and a couple of videos from the show, below...
DOWNLOAD: Ra Ra Riot - Boy (new MP3)
Scissor Sisters @ Mercury Lounge in 2008 (more by Kevin Tachman)
today in NYC
* CREED @ JONES BEACH
* Mogwai screening @ MHOW
* Shelley Burgon @ The Stone
* Ra Ra Riot @ Sound Fix Records
* Motel Motel, Bronze @ Union Pool
* Bill Frissel & friends @ Village Vanguard
* Marianne Dissard, Cordero @ Joe's Pub
* Scissor Sisters, Sammy Jo @ Terminal 5
* Kayo Dot, Cleric, Bad Girlfriend @ Bowery Electric
* Thieving Irons, Yellowbirds, The Poison Tree @ Union Hall
* Hard Nips, Moepion & Moepions, Starscream @ Death By Audio
* 80s hardcore reading & signing @ Powerhouse Arena
* Ra Ra Riot (DJ set) & Vampire Weekend (DJ set) @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Chiddy Bang, Donnis, XV, 2AM Club, Samuel @ Highline Ballroom
* Khann, Mockingbird, Before The Eyewall, Divider @ The Acheron
* Groundation, iLa Mawana @ Rocks Off Concert Cruise - The Jewel
* The Press & The Canon Logic (Cross Pollination) @ Pianos
* Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers & My Morning Jacket @ Izod Center
* Edan, Paten Locke (+ a screening of Edan's "Echo Party") @ Knitting Factory
* Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Teenage Bottlerocket & the Flatliners @ Irving Plaza
* Midnight Masses, Submarine Bells, Monogold @ a Rocks Off Concert Cruise
* Jessie Torrisi & The Please, Please Me, Bird of Youth w/ Charles Bissell, Caravan of Thieves @ The Living Room
Marianne Dissard, the female voice in Calexico's song "Ballad of Cable Hogue", plays Joe's Pub tonight with Cordero who I saw live when they opened for Calexico.
Thieving Irons is the new band from Pela Nate. They play Union Hall tonight.
Tonight will be one of the last Cross Pollination shows at Pianos, and it's on the main stage.
As BBG previously pointed out, "Florida's Khann will team up with Mockingbird, Before The Eyewall, and Divider for an all ages show at Acheron on August 24th. $10 gets you in the door. Khann are prepping their new LP, Erode, due on Black Market Activities later this year. The band recorded the LP with Chris Owens (Lords) during a recent East Coast tour that saw them appear at Lit Lounge with Tiger Flowers."
Scissor Sisters play their first of two shows at Terminal 5 tonight.
photos by Maryanne Ventrice
"This is Nate Martinez's first solo project. After spending years of recording and touring with the band Pela, he now records under the moniker Thieving Irons. He is currently completing his first album entitled 'This Midnight Hum' with the help of Mike Brown. A collection of songs written by Nate and supported by some of his very talented friends." [Thieving Irons]Pela broke up towards the end of 2009. As you can read above, Nate has been keeping busy with a new solo project called Thieving Irons which is currently in the midst of a four week Thursday night resideny at Brooklyn club Sycamore. Actually, the residency is billed "The Garden Grows" with "Nate Martinez and Josh Kaufman". Nate is Thieving Irons. Josh is Rocketship Park and a member of Dawn Landes's band The Hounds. Each week there will be special guests. Tonight (2/18) is the second week and they've got "Dawn Landes, Annie Nero, and many more". Also, "In celebration of the residency Josh and Nate will put together an album of live songs recorded during the residency for release after the shows culminate."
Pictures from last week and all dates below...