Entries tagged with: Timbaland
by Andrew Sacher
"Thank you NYC and Roseland Ballroom! Had so much fun tonight. Lets do it again soon..." - Justin Timberlake
Justin Timberlake at Roseland Ballroom - 5/5/13 (via Bryan Pace for NY Daily News)
Justin Timberlake played a very intimate (for his standards) pre-tour show in NYC at Roseland Ballroom last night (5/5), which MasterCard sponsored and you had to "register for a chance" to purchase tickets for. Like he's been doing at his other shows this year, he played material from all three of his albums, including 2013's excellent The 20/20 Experience, with his new retro-soul stage setup. Check out videos from last night's show below.
As mentioned, this summer Justin will be touring with "Suit & Tie" guest Jay-Z, and that tour hits NYC for huge shows at Yankee Stadium on July 19 and 20. Tickets for both of those shows are still available, but according to Ticketmaster, "not many left." JT also just announced another leg of tour dates (without Jay-Z) which kick off this October and run through February, 2014. No other NYC dates have been announced for that leg at the moment. All dates are listed below.
In other news, apparently one comeback album this year just wasn't enough for JT. You may have seen a post from Questlove earlier this year which stated that Justin had a second part of the The 20/20 Experience on the way, and over the weekend, Justin posted a picture to his facebook page (which you can see above) confirming that the second part of the album will be out on September 30. Should be interesting to hear what a second album only months after his last sounds like from a man who just waited seven years between releases. Though you may remember that when Justin first announced his return, he reportedly had around 20 tracks recorded, so maybe this will be the Amnesiac to his Kid A? (And yes, I did just mention Justin Timberlake and Radiohead in the same sentence. :x)
Updated dates are listed, along with Roseland videos, below...
Jay-Z (right) with Jaz. Note, not a recent picture.
Jay-Z's bid for a festival, known as Made in America, will return to Philadelphia in 2013, setting aside August 31- September 1 at Benjamin Franklin Parkway for the second edition. Check out a teaser trailer below, and line-up is forthcoming.
In other Jigga news, the man who REALLY started from the bottom (sorry, Drake- lol) has moved his Roc Nation venture away from Columbia Records and back to Universal:
News comes today from Jay & Roc Nation themselves that they've decided on Universal Music Group as their parent label, departing from multi-year deals that had Roc Nation records, including the most successful release from the company thus far, J. Cole's 2011 debut Cole World: The Sideline Story, releasing on Columbia Records.... Roc Nation's next release, which appears to be J. Cole's oft-delayed, but highly-anticipated sophomore effort Born Sinner, will be released on Roc Nation/Universal Music Group. -[The Source]Roc Nation currently houses J. Cole, Jay Electronica and others, while managing such names as Rihanna, Meek Mill, Wale, Timbaland, and No I.D.
Father John Misty at SS Coachella 2012 (more by Greg Cristman)
today in NYC
* Whiplash @ UCB
* Colin Quinn @ UCB
* Brain Cloud @ Barbes
* Chica Libre @ Barbes
* Gabriel Kahane @ Joe's Pub
* Leroy Justice @ Brooklyn Bowl
* The Four Bags w/ Stew @ Barbes
* Nellie McKay @ Rockwood Music Hall
* Debo Band, The Relatives @ Joe's Pub
* Har Mar Superstar (DJ Set) @ Ace Hotel
* Wynter Gordon, The Black Black @ Pianos
* Jake Bugg, Valerie June @ Bowery Ballroom
* Father John Misty, Magic Trick @ Webster Hall
* The Neighbourhood, The Doorbells @ Glasslands
* Decline of Western Civilization II (screening) @ Videology
* The Wives, The Toothaches, Jungles @ Arlene's Grocery
* Yo La Tengo, Dana Spiotta @ Barnes & Noble Union Square
* Wyatt Cenac, Jackie Kashian, Mike Lawrence @ Littlefield
* Pagan Girls, Big Quiet, The Coward Flowers, The Burnhearts @ Cake Shop
* The Duhks, Maria Doyle Kennedy, Solas, McAuley Horan & O'Caoimh @ Highline Ballroom
* The Henry Millers, Hey Anna, Their Planes Will Block Out The Sun, Hawks & Doves @ Mercury Lounge
* Daniel Higgs, Arrington de Dionyso, Kid Millions (of Oneida), Fat History Month, Patriots @ Death By Audio
R&B singer Wynter Gordon plays a small show at Pianos tonight, which advance tickets are sold out for, but you can try your luck at the door. You can stream the single, "Stimela," off her 2012 EP, Doleo (her first in a series of four solo EPs), below.
Tonight's edition of Music Mondays at Videology in Williamsburg is showing Penelope Spheeris classic 1988 documentary Decline of Western Civilization II: The Metal Years. You can watch a clip from it below. Screening is at 8 PM and is free.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Last week, Justin Timberlake revealed that he's ready to release new music, and last night he announced that he will put out a new album this year called The 20/20 Experience. He also revealed the single, "Suit & Tie," which was produced by Timbaland and features a verse from Jay-Z. You can listen to that song below.
by Andrew Sacher
Missy Elliot hasn't released an album since 2005's The Cookbook, and it's looking like her much-delayed release, Block Party, will finally be seeing the light of day this year. It's becoming one of those Detox-style delayed albums, so we shouldn't get our hopes too high, but a December 18 release date has been set and she recently dropped two singles, "Triple Threat" and "9th Inning" (both featuring Timbaland), which you can stream below.
Missy is also set to make a video for "9th Inning" and if you're a dancer and you live in NYC, she wants your help with it. She's holding dance auditions and the deadline for submissions is TODAY (10/5) at 4 PM. All details on what you need to do to submit are on the flyer, which you can see below.
Nas @ Rock the Bells (more by Dana (distortion) Yavin)
That didn't take long. We just announced the intitial lineup. Check out the almost-full thing below...
Madonna will be playing gigs in New York, Paris and London to promote he new album Hard Candy.There's also a "4 Minutes" release party happening this Friday at Highline Ballroom. "4 Minutes" is the new Madonna single featuring Justin Timberlake and Timbaland. Hard Candy is out April 29, 2008 on Warner Brothers.
Our sources tell us that the final dates are:
* New York: April 28th
* Paris: May 6th
* London: May 10th
DOWNLOAD: Petra Haden - Don't Stop Believing (Journey) (MP3) (info)
DOWNLOAD: Tegan & Sara on AOL's Interface (MP3) (info)
DOWNLOAD: Josh Rouse on AOL's Interface (MP3) (info)
DOWNLOAD: Spoon on AOL's Interface (MP3) (info)
DOWNLOAD: Art Brut on AOL's Interface (MP3) (info)
Justin Timberlake & Timbaland @ MSG, NYC - Aug 16, 2007 (CRED)
* Foo Fighters covered Arcade Fire
* Jaymay was featured on Perez Hilton
* WFUV creating a new streaming radio station
* Man punched for singing Coldplay song
* The Muggabears are playing Galapagos
* The National, The Forms & Takka Takka play for free @ South Street Seaport
* Sleepytime Gorilla Museum & Made out of Babies are @ Highline Ballroom
* John Vanderslice is playing a record store and a private show
* Pioneering Jazz Drummer Max Roach Dies at 83
* Amy Winehouse Cancels V Fest date, Lilly Allen Postpones Tour
* NPR was video taping the Hold Steady @ Prospect Park
* Tickets are on sale for GZA performing Liquid Swords in Brooklyn
It's raining. What else?
Tickets are still on sale for Lil' Wayne @ Beacon Theatre on July 22nd.
pharoahe monch + styles p @ Highline Ballroom, NYC - June 29, 2007 (CRED)
styles showed up at the p. monch show to collab for "the life". pharoahe is on some street soul tip for this current tour with a live band. i'm feeling it, desire is my joint right now. [thisismecl]NEWS
- Even though we already know this isn't true, everyone is jumping on this story of Timbaland allegedly retiring, it's really just based on some off the cuff boasting remarks.
- A Tribe Called Quest's Q-Tip is hard at work on his upcoming The Renaissance album. Stream "WorkItOut" (real, mov, asx).
- In case anyone got the wrong impressions Cassidy lets us know that his upcoming album 'B.A.R.S.' (Sept. 18th) album is 'not church music'.
- One of my favorite rappers of 2006, Obie Trice is interviewed on XXL and speaks on his new work, the state of Hip Hop (who doesn't nowadays), and more. Interesting read.
- Prefix gives us a bunch of photos and videos of the Pharaohe Monch show at Highline last week.
- Master P's new clean lyrics album Gutta Music Allstars, and an exclusive track called 'Let the Kids Grow' is going up on AmieStreet tomorrow. Master P says,
As you may have heard, Romeo and I are taking a stand against the negativity in hip-hop because we all need to be responsible for our actions and the communities we represent. Similarly, Amie Street is out there making a positive impact on the future of online music by making it available to people in a new way and I like what they've got going on.More about that here.
- Public Enemy's Chuck D signs on with Tunecore for his digital distribution.
- The legendary breakdancing Rock Steady Crew is celebrating their 30th (!!!) anniversary with events from July 23rd-29th in Manhattan, the Bronx and a free concert at Lincoln Park in Newark.
"Jrak" writes in...
M.I.A.'s first album bombed in sales given all the hype, and I think this one will do even worse, and HERE'S WHY. I was fairly psyched to watch the Boyz video on BV today, but about 1/4 through I was insanely bored with it and had to stop watching. M.I.A.'s first album was so great because it was so weird for the time, but now mainstream R&B has gotten so weird in its production itself (your Timbalands, etc) that M.I.A. doesn't have that angle anymore of sounding unique and like nothing else. She's just another rapper/singer, and SURPRISE, her voice isn't good. Without being distracted by all the fancy and crazy blips and bloops, you realize she's just not much else. More proof of mainsteam R&B being the new hipster music, and teenage girls being way ahead of anything Ed Banger is gonna throw at you. Wouldn't you rather listen to pretty much anything by Rihanna than the new MIA? Just my two cents.
DOWNLOAD: Clipse - Ain´t cha (MP3)
No introduction needed. After thanking her and all that, we asked
(questions in bold).......
Björk, you recently reunited with the Sugarcubes and played a show in Iceland. How did that come about? Were you happy how it turned out, and most importantly - would you do it again in the U.S.? (New York preferably!)
Sorry , won´t be doing it again , i guess it was strictly for rescuing bad taste which was on the verge of bankruptcy . Don´t know if you know about that label but it has been putting out grassroot poetry and music now for 20 years . A non profit company where most of the people that work for it do so voluntarily .we put out sigurrós and múm´s first albums for example.
I love musical collaborations, and you always pick such great people to work with. This time you've especially lined up an exciting cast of characters. Truth be told, I get excited any time Antony Hegarty is involved with anything (including the new Matmos album that you both appear on). Do you remember the first time you heard Antony's voice, and/or saw him perform? How soon after did you know you wanted to work with him? Any good stories from your time together in Jamaica, and what eventually led you to include him on not just one, but two tracks on the new album?
I was in my kitchen and a friend gave me a cd for christmas of this album that hadn´t come out yet . It wasn´t until later when i had gotten to know him a little we thought of working together . I guess me and antony have mutual friends in new york so we sort of got to know each other slowly ... He came to iceland and i showed him a bit of the country side . Then we sang together on couple of occations and ended up working on couple of sketches , 2 of them ended on the album ... It´s been a gorgeous pleasure to get to know antony , he is very very special . Incredibly generous person . I feel blessed .