Entries tagged with: Tom Morello
tonight in NYC
* Corn Mo @ Sputnik
* Tribeca Film Festival
* Lady Gaga @ Terminal 5
* Ben & Vesper @ Sycamore
* Bamboozle 2009 @ Giants Stadium
* Fires of Rome @ Tribeca Grand Hotel
* Buraka Som Sistema @ Bowery Ballroom
* Superpitcher, JDH & Dave P (FIXED) @ Studio B
* Look & Listen Festival @ Gary Snyder/Project Space
* Hexa, Air Waves, Jared Micah and Hats @ Glasslands
* The Kills, The Horrors, Magic Wands @ Webster Hall
* Bell Denmark, Grey Gersten, Shahzad Ismaily @ The Stone
* Kurt Vile, Gary War, Sightings, Drunkdriver @ Silent Barn
* Bloody Panda, Pontiak, Ocean, Microkingdom @ Death By Audio
* Bat For Lashes, Lewis & Clarke @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* King Khan & The Shrines, Mark Sultan, Golden Triangle @ Maxwell's
* Trevor Dunn's Madlove, Thurston Moore/Daniel Carter/Ryan Sawyer Trio, Pink Noise @ Union Pool
Iggy Pop (as pictured above) played the Road Recovery Benefit last night. Video below..
A video ad/interview with Bell Orchestre below...
Street Sweeper (Staciaann Photography)
"Nine Inch Nails and the original Jane's Addiction lineup will embark on a May/June co-headlining tour that will see these seminal artists sharing a stage for the first time since the historic debut of the Lollapalooza festival in 1991...
The NIN/JA tour will feature a streamlined NIN with Reznor on vocals, guitars, keys, Robin Finck on guitars and keys, Justin Meldal-Johnsen on bass and keys, and newest NIN member IIan Rubin on drums and keys. NIN's stripped down configuration for the upcoming dates was inspired by a pair of club shows toward the end of last year's wildly ambitious Lights In The Sky tour. Leaving the massive production in the trucks for those two nights freed up the band for spontaneous performances including several seldom-aired NIN classics and inspired NIN to take a similarly unencumbered and unpredictable approach to the May/June dates, which include previously announced NIN appearances at the Sasquatch and Bonnaroo festivals...
...Support for all NIN/JA dates will be Street Sweeper, a collaboration between Tom Morello of Rage Against The Machine/The Nightwatchman and Boots Riley of The Coup.
Tickets go on sale beginning March 13th, visit NIN.com, JanesAddiction.com and LiveNation.com for additional ticket and tour information.
If the prospect of a single company mounting a Guns n' Madonna tour worries you, it also concerns some in the business. Via e-mail, Tom Morello, the guitarist in Rage Against the Machine, told me that a Ticketmaster-Live Nation merger could have huge consequences.NY Senator Chuck Schumer not only agrees with Tom, he has now joined the fight against Ticketmaster started by angry Bruce Springsteen fans...
"Fewer and fewer gatekeepers mean fewer choices and higher prices for fans," he wrote. "One huge monolith means no choice at all. Fans and artists must develop some organized counterweight quickly or resign themselves to their fate." [David Carr, NY Times]
"Fans who thought they were going to 'The Promised Land' of Springsteen found themselves in the 'Badlands' of ticket scalpers," Schumer said. The senator added that he wants to put the brakes on Ticketmaster's proposed merger with Live Nation, the nation's largest concert promoter. [Newsday]NJ's Star Ledger newspaper hasn't forgotten yet either. Today's paper has an article entitled "More music fans claim scalpings by Ticketmaster". In it they talk to people who have come forward with similar claims of Ticketmaster-to-TicketsNow trickery.
RATM @ Lollapalooza 2008 (more by Bao Nguyen)
Political rap-rock giants Rage Against the Machine will give a rare performance at Target Center in Minneapolis on Sept. 3, which not so coincidentally is the same week as the Republican National Convention in St. Paul. Tickets go on sale Saturday at 10 a.m. for $60.Steve Earle also has a bunch of NYC shows coming up at Judson Church. Tickets for those are on sale. Rage Against the Machine played a free show at the Democatic National Convention in 2000...
Target Center's news release for the concert makes no mention of any political overtones, but fans know to expect plenty of verbal fireworks. Rage guitarist Tom Morello has already committed to perform with country-rocker Steve Earle at a union rally Sept. 1 at St. Paul's Harriet Island, the first day of the convention. The band has lashed out at the Bush administration at other shows this year, including last weekend's Lollapalooza festival in Chicago. Morello expressed interest this summer in performing during both party conventions. [Minneapolis Star Tribune]
After the performance, a small group of attendees congregated at the point in the protest area closest to the DNC, facing the police officers, throwing rocks, and possibly engaging in more violent activity, such as throwing glass, concrete and water bottles filled with "noxious agents," spraying ammonia on police and slingshotting rocks and steel balls. The police soon after declared the gathering an unlawful assembly, shut off the electrical supply, interrupting performing band Ozomatli, and informed the protestors that they had 15 minutes to disperse on pain of arrest. Some of the protestors remained, however, including two young men who climbed the fence and waved black flags, who were subsequently shot in the face with pepper spray. Police then forcibly dispersed the crowd, using tear gas, pepper spray and rubber bullets. At least six people were arrested in the incident.Some video footage from that, and all tour dates below....
Alejandro Escovedo is having a good year....
- For the first time in his 30 year career, Alejandro Escovedo has charted on Billboard's Top 200 coming in at #122 with his 9th solo album REAL ANIMAL. Released on June 24th, REAL ANIMAL also enters Billboard's Heatseeker/New Artist Chart at #3 with 6,178 in first week sales. A noted and accomplished artist, Escovedo was named No Depression's "Artist of The Decade" in 1998 and has enjoyed a loyal fan base that includes such luminaries as author Stephen King and filmmaker Jonathan Demme who provided REAL ANIMAL's evocative liner notes.Alejandro has two NYC shows coming up. One is tonight at Highline Ballroom (July 9). The other is free and in exactly a month at Central Park Summerstage.
An Unexpected MexicoAlejandro also appears on this:
Alejandro Escovedo with Strings
Saturday, August 09, 2008, From 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Central Park SummerStage
Columbia Records will release Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's 'Magic Tour Highlights' on July 15 via all digital download stores, including the iTunes Store. The release will consist of four audio tracks with four accompanying videos, all recorded live in concert during the 'Magic' tour.AA Bondy was recently added as the opener for the Highline Ballroom show tonight. Aquarium Drunkard recently spoke to Alejandro. Alejandro Escovedo recently played Coman O'Brien and The Today show. Those videos and all tour dates below....
1. "Always A Friend" (performed with Alejandro Escovedo) (video)
Recording Date: 04/14/2008 (Houston, Texas)
2. "The Ghost of Tom Joad" (performed with Tom Morello)
Recording Date: 04/07/2008 (Anaheim, California)
3. "Turn Turn Turn" (performed with Roger McGuinn)
Recording Date: 04/23/2008 (Orlando, Florida)
4. "4th Of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)" (Danny Federici's final performance with the E Street Band)
Recording Date: 03/20/2008 (Indianapolis, Indiana)
last night (April 17, 2008) in NYC....
More than a few special guests (and I don't mean the protesters) showed up to the opening party/benefit inside the John Varvatos store (aka CBGB) on the Bowery last night (April 17, 2008). All photos by Randy Haecker, and there's more where they came from at his Flickr.
A lot of these guys were in town to play a different benefit show the night before.
This is a supergroup performance by Slash, Jerry Cantrell, Tom Morello, and Wayne Kramer. Featuring performances by The Nightwatchman (Tom Morello, acoustic), Denis Leary & The Crown Royals featuring the Rehab Horns, Joseph Arthur, Crazy James, and other guests.The show is April 17th @ Nokia Theatre. It benefits Road Recovery ("music without drugs"). Tickets are on sale. A lot of these same people played a surprise show together at SXSW in 2007. Video below....